Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

False

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Superterranean posted:

England is covered - covered - in litter.

I have never seen more drunks in public than in England. And not like happy, singing songs and joking too loud drunk; I mean staggering, pissed-themselves drunk at 4pm on a Saturday.

Until very recently, cars had right of way over people on foot at most intersections in England.

English drivers are too stupid to allow a green light for drivers and for people on foot going in the same direction, so all lighted intersections are 3 phase - traffic, cross traffic, pedestrian.

English people are insufferably arrogant about mainland Europe, in ways only a people who know in their bones how inferior they are can be.

Everything ever said about an American was said about an Englishman first. Even the gun massacres.

Just an absolutely garbage nationality. Throw it in the bin. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

E: plus, the weather sucks too lol

Show us on the doll where the Englishman touched you.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Superterranean posted:

England is covered - covered - in litter.

I have never seen more drunks in public than in England. And not like happy, singing songs and joking too loud drunk; I mean staggering, pissed-themselves drunk at 4pm on a Saturday.

Until very recently, cars had right of way over people on foot at most intersections in England.

English drivers are too stupid to allow a green light for drivers and for people on foot going in the same direction, so all lighted intersections are 3 phase - traffic, cross traffic, pedestrian.

English people are insufferably arrogant about mainland Europe, in ways only a people who know in their bones how inferior they are can be.

Everything ever said about an American was said about an Englishman first. Even the gun massacres.

Just an absolutely garbage nationality. Throw it in the bin. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

E: plus, the weather sucks too lol

Nice meltdown yank

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

dustin.h posted:

Like low-voltage shaver sockets, why can't you simply have high-voltage kettle sockets? Much like we have high-voltage oven sockets?

You'd be duplicating the entire wiring system - in Britain there's a kettle in every room, and usually two in a master bedroom.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
The first time I visited the UK I was astounded by how little people resemble British celebrities. It’s like if you’re moderately good looking you are promoted internationally as a celeb, and everyone else looks like the orc siege general from the Return of the King or the goblin king from The Hobbit. Except all the Eastern European babes, who only make the contrast more obvious.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jakabite posted:

Nice meltdown yank

It's not inaccurate

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you had to be british in britain you'd be blackout drunk all the time too

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

steinrokkan posted:

It's not inaccurate

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

These guys get it

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
There will never be a rapper whiter than vanilla i-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHs2sQOHX-0

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
i dont wanna be a punk no more

i wanna be a rude boy

like my dad

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Britain is an aging forma giant with bad breath and arthritis, who refuses to admit no cares what he thinks anymore and his best years are in the past.
America is his stuck up spoilt child, obsessed with his father but instead of trying to be a better person seems determined to make all the same mistakes and end up the same.

Smeef posted:

The first time I visited the UK I was astounded by how little people resemble British celebrities. It’s like if you’re moderately good looking you are promoted internationally as a celeb, and everyone else looks like the orc siege general from the Return of the King or the goblin king from The Hobbit. Except all the Eastern European babes, who only make the contrast more obvious.

Post a selfie then gorgeous.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 28, 2021

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

lol "Normal people aren't as attractive as celebrities" is a thing in most countries I would imagine

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

lol "Normal people aren't as attractive as celebrities" is a thing in most countries I would imagine

Yeah, these days pretty much every place is gonna have (mingling among the majority of "strictly average" folks like yours truly) a mix of gorgeous non-celeb people who look like they came straight out of a fancy clothes catalog, and horrifying mutant uggos shambling around. In that regard I didn't find Britain to be any more or less different than any of the other places I've lived in. Yes, there were people whose teeth looked like they'd been chewing on rocks and twigs for fun, and who had ears large enough to give Prince Charles pause for thought. But there were also average everyday people who still somehow managed to look like they came off the set of 90210 or some other glamorous 1990s TV drama.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I honestly appreciate the Brits having odd-looking actors as I'm poo poo at telling the difference between our generically beautiful American actors. Cloverfield was a nightmare for me.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

:haibrow:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Lurk Ethic posted:

There will never be a rapper whiter than vanilla i-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHs2sQOHX-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYgE7O0OLyw&t=26s

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

steinrokkan posted:

Fun fact, queen Victoria was raised in Hanover speaking German and had to be taught English later in childhood. She still preferred speaking German in private throughout life and struggled with a German accent when speaking English.

Which is understandable as hardly anybody would choose to speak the mush-mouth pseudo-language that passes for British English given other options.

I looked this up quickly and it appears that while she did have a German accent from her mother she was raised in Blighty. You may be thinking of her mother, also named Victoria, who was from Hanover.

kecske posted:

the rule is no 230v outlet can be within 3metres of the surface of a basin (inc. bath or shower tray) and because our bathrooms are tiny this means you just don't see any. If you somehow had a massive bathroom there's nothing stopping you having outlets. All domestic socket outlets do have to be RCD protected though, the bathroom laws are a post 1940s hangover and will probably get repealed when the IET decide they need to make some more money revising the regulations.

Split feed taps were because the cold supply was from the mains and deemed potable, and your hot supply sat in an heated cistern in your attic - Ye Olde bylaws meant that the two must be kept separated as it only takes some dipshit to forget the non return valve or something else to fail and now your rotten attic water cylinder is bleeding weils disease and legionella into the mains water supply. I'm no plumber but I'm pretty sure that anti-siphon double check valves are legally required on every home for category 3 fluids (peepoo). You see seperate taps now in modern bathrooms because it's fashionable to have old looking features and installations like freestanding copper baths and massive butler sinks, that's it - there are TMVs everywhere.

I've been reading a bit of plumbing theory recently and apparently it is very common in Britain for the overflow of low pressure hot water cylinders to go straight into the cold water header tank which seems dumb.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Some things can't be explained and should never have happened. Brexit, Ant & Dec and, yes, EastEnders among them.

The Anglophobia on SA in the last few years is kind of weird

It's one of the few socially acceptable outlets for American racism.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Weka posted:

I'm pretty sure 220v isn't significantly more dangerous. All the higher voltage will do is make it theoretically easier to get electrocuted but in practice I doubt you'd see many extra cases. It's the amps that will kill you.

Edit: what's the deal with American power transmission? Like it's 220v then it's split somehow at the house? Is that 220v three phase?

i mean im pretty sure that US mains are like 230-240 as well but its alternating and the other end is tied to ground.... we don't do live to live like in the UK i think? so the standard outlet is 1 live to ground instead of 2 lives, hence 120 v.... the only time it really matters is when you're trying to boil water off a regular US outlet.

I found a picture.. we ground in between the 240 volt circuit instead of at the end so we do indeed split it into 2 phase 120 volts:

We make 240v outlets as well for washing machines, electric stoves, etc... you just increase the size of the circuit breaker to cover both live mains. We just don't put them in every outlet in the house because... well...

i was gonna say safer but out plugs are so poo poo that they are live when partially plugged in so we have to do elaborate poo poo to keep the metal from EVER sticking out of the outlet.

This is for things like wall chargers, toasters, lower power devices.

Higher powered devices will have a third grounding prong extra.

I probably hosed that up here is a nerd explaining it all in extreme detail if you care:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMmUoZh3Hq4

[edit] we use three phase for transferring power over power lines.... some businesses that need a shitload of power will maintain the 3 phase to their factory but no... 3 phase is generally for transmission of electricity and is not used in a typical home

[edit2] i also think we use a lot more natural gas for stoves and furnaces and water heaters than england? not sure about that, but yeah... natural gas is very cheap here and more efficient than electricity for heating poo poo per penny

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 29, 2021

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

You know, for as crappy as our plugs are and how we can touch the contacts when partially unplugged, I've never done that in 40 years, and I asked my father if he'd ever done it, and he hadn't in 70 years.

I did accidentally nail into a wire once when doing some renovating, but nothing happened at all. No shock, no breaker thrown, nothing. Just pulled the nail out and carried on.

The only appliance I have that runs at 240v is the clothes washer. Everything else is gas or oil.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Your three phase is only like 240v or something almost pointless unlike the superior 400v.
Anyway I'll shut up about America's wiring and uh, um

England doesn't even have a single hill taller than a kilometer and it thinks that's a mountain lol.
If you GIS UK national park it just looks like a bunch of sheep paddocks.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
In the US there are buildings that are 100's of years old.

In the UK there are buildings that are up to 1000 years old, or more.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bula Vinaka posted:

:iiam:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

dustin.h posted:

You know, for as crappy as our plugs are and how we can touch the contacts when partially unplugged, I've never done that in 40 years, and I asked my father if he'd ever done it, and he hadn't in 70 years.

I did accidentally nail into a wire once when doing some renovating, but nothing happened at all. No shock, no breaker thrown, nothing. Just pulled the nail out and carried on.

The only appliance I have that runs at 240v is the clothes washer. Everything else is gas or oil.

I've been shocked by a 120v many times but never from a plug. It was because we had an ungrounded ancient chest freezer on our concrete garage floor and it would give you a bit of a shock whenever you touched it with out wearing shoes lol.

Oh also that one time my uncle had me rewire a light switch without turning off the power and he did it as a joke then grabbed the wires to shock himself too and we had a laugh

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

It's the same land, sure, but what makes it the same country? How exactly is France founded in 843 and not 1958? Or Britain in 927 and not 1707? How exactly is America's pre-Revolution history not identical with England's?

I suppose I don't see eye to eye with the idea that states remain the same after fundamental changes in their governance. If they did, well then, the whole thing becomes absurd. America was founded in 927. Earlier than that, even, 27 BC. Maybe earlier than that,

It's crazy to conflate modern states with historic ones.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bula Vinaka posted:

So lovely even weather doesn't visit

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EGR12jdokk

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Bula Vinaka posted:

You can see my posts in this thread, I have plenty to criticize about britain, but i really like old buildings and no matter how you slice it (e.g. that it's a tragedy more relics of indigenous american life have not been preserved to the same standards) that is one thing that is pretty cool.

The national trust is kind of the ideal situation for the many relics of feudal exploitation - making what were once private homes of landed gentry into parks/historical attractions open to everyone and using the profits to preserve them as works of artisanry. I'm with all that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

You can see my posts in this thread, I have plenty to criticize about britain, but i really like old buildings and no matter how you slice it (e.g. that it's a tragedy more relics of indigenous american life have not been preserved to the same standards) that is one thing that is pretty cool.

The national trust is kind of the ideal situation for the many relics of feudal exploitation - making what were once private homes of landed gentry into parks/historical attractions open to everyone and using the profits to preserve them as works of artisanry. I'm with all that.

There is a really nice one in London but it's currently got some squatters in it.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Mega Comrade posted:

There is a really nice one in London but it's currently got some squatters in it.

Hell yeah. And in Windsor. And "Sandringham" whatever that is. And more poo poo I don't know about. Also the houses of Parliament are dumb as hell to use as real offices. Insanely uneconomic. They should be retired and opened to the public and parliament should meet in ethelm house: https://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/imageuploads/1251126932_80.177.117.97.jpg

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

They should move parliament to the North of England. Then maybe public funds would go somewhere other than London when MPs are stuck on a replacement bus service.

Weka
May 5, 2019

dustin.h posted:

It's the same land, sure, but what makes it the same country? How exactly is France founded in 843 and not 1958? Or Britain in 927 and not 1707? How exactly is America's pre-Revolution history not identical with England's?

I suppose I don't see eye to eye with the idea that states remain the same after fundamental changes in their governance. If they did, well then, the whole thing becomes absurd. America was founded in 927. Earlier than that, even, 27 BC. Maybe earlier than that,

It's crazy to conflate modern states with historic ones.

Generally the change is pretty gradual. Even with a revolution life goes on in much the same way for most people more often than not. Sometimes a social revolution happens where there is a fundamental change in governance and you would probably want to say the state itself has stayed the same, for instance the massive expansion of suffrage.
The English example is good in that theoretically the same monarchy rules it that did at it's founding. I'm sure you could draw parallels between the thing, the Anglo-Saxon council, and parliament in all it's manifestations.
Of course the kingdom of England kinda ended with the union with Scotland.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Hell yeah. And in Windsor. And "Sandringham" whatever that is. And more poo poo I don't know about. Also the houses of Parliament are dumb as hell to use as real offices. Insanely uneconomic. They should be retired and opened to the public and parliament should meet in ethelm house: https://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/imageuploads/1251126932_80.177.117.97.jpg

I remember reading about how insanely bad Westminster is to operate a parliament from - like, it's constantly on the brink of burning down or falling apart and the basement is riddled with water and gas pipes and bad wiring that dates back from like, ww2 and no-one knows where most it is.

fake edit: found a thing https://www.ft.com/content/31890558-55f7-11e9-a3db-1fe89bedc16e

Weka
May 5, 2019

On the plus side, if it does burn down nobody will be suspicious.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bula Vinaka posted:

Quite the genius observation here

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bula Vinaka posted:

In antarctic there is buildings 1,000,000,000 of years old.

:cthulhu:

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Big Beef City posted:

Quite the genius observation here

Thank you :)

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNyTzhcYeiE

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Americans are just jealous of our superior cheeses. To quote Brian "Blessed are the cheese makers"

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Baconroll posted:

Americans are just jealous of our superior cheeses. To quote Brian "Blessed are the cheese makers"

I'll grant you that small pittance that Britain does have some very good cheeses

Also didn't you misspell "superiour?" I think we found someone who WANTS to roleplay a Brit online!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Also congrats to your soldiers for stepping on a kid!!

https://twitter.com/scobie/status/1476262109134606342?s=20