Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Also congrats to your soldiers for stepping on a kid!!

https://twitter.com/scobie/status/1476262109134606342?s=20

Well at least we didn't shoot him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

Well at least we didn't shoot him.

Hey, for all you know the video cut off early!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Fun fact: When you get stabbed in Britain, you have been "did wit' a shanky."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Being shot is referred to as "bit by th' boomy."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Das Boo posted:

Fun fact: When you get stabbed in Britain, you have been "did wit' a shanky."

I had to show some form of ID and prove my age when buying a set of cutlery in the UK in case I was planning to go on a rampage with the included butter knife.

I assume I would be on some kind of watch list had I tried to buy steak knife.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

I had to show some form of ID and prove my age when buying a set of cutlery in the UK in case I was planning to go on a rampage with the included butter knife.

I mean have you even seen the stats on how many innocent sticks of butter are stabbed in the UK every year. :smith:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Seth Pecksniff posted:

America has the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, whose National Guardsmen (I think) carry live ammunition, but their marching route is like fifty feet away from a chain you're very clearly not supposed to cross, and I don't think they've ever shot anyone, just very sternly yelled. This is hilarious though, why aren't there fences or chains or any kind of barrier, and why does it look like the Queen's Guard just march wherever they want as opposed to back and forth in a straight line?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Imagine being dumb enough to be an honor guard anywhere. You have to walk around like you have a three foot dick up your rear end while wearing an outfit that makes you hideously unfuckable. Just absolute psychos.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
there are a lot of similar videos of them shoving people, they seem to just resent the tourists being there and throw their weight around any chance they get

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Tbf everybody should resent tourists and fantasize about shoving them around

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Who What Now posted:

Imagine being dumb enough to be an honor guard anywhere. You have to walk around like you have a three foot dick up your rear end while wearing an outfit that makes you hideously unfuckable. Just absolute psychos.

I'm assuming they get paid a poo poo load for really doing not very much.

If not then just lol.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

that kid deserved it

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Smeef posted:

The first time I visited the UK I was astounded by how little people resemble British celebrities. It’s like if you’re moderately good looking you are promoted internationally as a celeb, and everyone else looks like the orc siege general from the Return of the King or the goblin king from The Hobbit. Except all the Eastern European babes, who only make the contrast more obvious.

This is precisely how pale tourists are categorized in Cyprus.
Svelte, tall, and striking white person? A Russian.
Grubby, hunched, and potato like white person? A Brit.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Britain's greatest military triumph in nearly 40 years.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Weka posted:

Generally the change is pretty gradual. Even with a revolution life goes on in much the same way for most people more often than not. Sometimes a social revolution happens where there is a fundamental change in governance and you would probably want to say the state itself has stayed the same, for instance the massive expansion of suffrage.
The English example is good in that theoretically the same monarchy rules it that did at it's founding. I'm sure you could draw parallels between the thing, the Anglo-Saxon council, and parliament in all it's manifestations.
Of course the kingdom of England kinda ended with the union with Scotland.
For the hoi polloi, little changes whether they'd under a monarchy, republic, or a dictatorship. It seems cheating to use them as a baseline. For your general politically aware person, it's harder to say countries remain the same countries throughout the political turmoil that occurs from rime to time.

Or how about this: Forget Western Europe, has Eastern Europe remained constant?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think I posted earlier ITT about how all white British men have one of only six different faces. What are the facial archetypes though?

So far I've got:

David Mitchell (no beard)
Christopher Nolan
David Tennant/Mat Bellamy

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

dustin.h posted:

For the hoi polloi, little changes whether they'd under a monarchy, republic, or a dictatorship. It seems cheating to use them as a baseline. For your general politically aware person, it's harder to say countries remain the same countries throughout the political turmoil that occurs from rime to time.

Or how about this: Forget Western Europe, has Eastern Europe remained constant?

Nothing remains constant, all is flux. You are different to who you were yesterday. It's a country of theseus type situation.
To get back on topic, if news reports are to be believed, eastern Europe has changed greatly recently as half of poland has moved to Britain.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
My house is 20 years older than the US.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

a neurotic ai posted:

With original windows and plumbing, I'm sure.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Weka posted:

Nothing remains constant, all is flux. You are different to who you were yesterday. It's a country of theseus type situation.
To get back on topic, if news reports are to be believed, eastern Europe has changed greatly recently as half of poland has moved to Britain.
Goring by that rule, then where is the dividing line between the UK and US (or Canada or Australia or wherever)? Just when did Canada gain independence? Did it?

a neurotic ai posted:

I live in Maine and have a house built in Massachusetts. I nearly had one built in Britain.

Ortho fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 30, 2021

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Mister Speaker posted:

I think I posted earlier ITT about how all white British men have one of only six different faces. What are the facial archetypes though?

So far I've got:

Christopher Nolan

those guys all look the same to me

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mister Speaker posted:

So far I've got:

Christopher Nolan

Johnny Vegas (the most common type)

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSoJqdPi4Iw

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

a neurotic ai posted:

Is that a point of pride

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Dumb brits wouldn't even know what a medical bill would look like !

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Baconroll posted:

Dumb brits wouldn't even know what a medical bill would look like !

Something you pass to increase funding for a national free health service?

(sadly we actually haven't seen one of those in a while thanks to the tories)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mister Speaker posted:

So far I've got:

Christopher Nolan

Buster Bloodvessel, John Lydon.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Black pudding is literally just a scab. British people eat scabs for breakfast.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1476506386964131840

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Disco Pope posted:

Buster Bloodvessel, John Lydon.

Lydon is definitely a more extreme example of the Tennant/Bellamy genre.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Grape posted:

Lydon is definitely a more extreme example of the Tennant/Bellamy genre.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Alright definitely should have used past tense there.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

Is that a point of pride

Depends on if you like old buildings. Has presumably been renovated a dozen times in its life, so it’s actually quite pleasant.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

So far I've got:

Christopher Nolan

Roy Kinnear/Winston S Churchill.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

The Pirate Captain posted:

British people eat scabs for breakfast.

hell yeah, shouldn't have crossed the picket line

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Also, I'm still waiting to hear what the deal is with the Welsh. There's several millions of them and most of the mines are closed, so what do they do all day?

What's he building in there?

You're afraid to find out, aren't you?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

gleebster posted:

Also, I'm still waiting to hear what the deal is with the Welsh. There's several millions of them and most of the mines are closed, so what do they do all day?

What's he building in there?

You're afraid to find out, aren't you?

Ask the sheep.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
No, I looked into it and there's only about three sheep to every Welsh person. The supply would give out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they travel with one leg on each sheep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme
British people are great but only because I am one of them.