Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
The British are the biggest snowflakes in the entire world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

syntaxfunction posted:

We Australians have the correct amount of Michelin starred chefs and restaurants.

I believe we export most of our Michelin chef meat alas. It is top quality though. Most of our Michelin star chefs are free range grass feed chefs, so depending on how large the chef is you can normally get quite a few really top quality cuts off them.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I once dated a British gal and she treated every conversation as if she were doing a perpetual standup comedy bit.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

https://youtu.be/3PbdyJ_ybSI

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Hammerite posted:

why are there 4 threads about the UK or UK related things on the front page of GBS rn

Colonial U.S. goons pine for the motherland.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Remember when the Brits conquered half the world, causing massive amounts of death, suffering and conflict that persist to this very day then one day they were like “Well done chaps!” and hosed off home to their island never to be heard from again?

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

roomtone posted:

these country-level observations are stupid bullshit which reveal prejudiced and nationalistic thinking being expressed in a way that is socially acceptable because the countries involved are predominantly white. yeah there are no true victims but it's all horseshit.

This is true.

It's honestly pretty funny, I remember it was only like a decade or so ago that all the nerds were obsessed with wanting to be British and go to Harry Potter land, now they are enemy #1 for the terminally online. Feels like it happened overnight, I wonder what caused the sudden change?

Gregoire
Feb 3, 2014
They have carpeting in bathrooms and barrooms.

English breakfasts and fish and chips sound delicious to me though.

Also in some sort of homage to my faraway and long ago Scottish roots, I kind of want to eat haggis. Just to tell other Americans that I tried haggis.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The extreme transphobia (and queerphobia in general honestly) didn't do them favours. Both TERF Island, and Harry Potter.

Edit: altho legit I like jolly old England generally. As much as I like any other basic rear end country like America, Canada or my own. English Breakfast is amazing tho.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Brexit's a bigger wheeze than COVID

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Wow looks like most of the top chefs in Britain are actually French.
What a brutal data point this is you've shown us.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Grape posted:

Wow looks like most of the top chefs in Britain are actually French.
What a brutal data point this is you've shown us.

lol yet another thing Britain has to import because their homegrown stuff is poo poo

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

syntaxfunction posted:

Edit: altho legit I like jolly old England generally. As much as I like any other basic rear end country like America, Canada or my own. English Breakfast is amazing tho.

Out of curiosity, what makes a country qualify as "basic" to you?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

roomtone posted:

these country-level observations are stupid bullshit which reveal prejudiced and nationalistic thinking being expressed in a way that is socially acceptable because the countries involved are predominantly white. yeah there are no true victims but it's all horseshit.

this is true, but it's also true that it's real funny in "down the line" when an australian caller forces the british host to repeat the words "i am part of a dying race" simply by verbal bullying

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PizzaProwler posted:

Out of curiosity, what makes a country qualify as "basic" to you?

LOL, look at this absolutely newb who hasn't even unlocked the secrete advanced countries.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Most of my exposure to British people seem to show them as snobbish as a defense mechanism, as in, they have an inferiority complex and project a sense of 'better than you, you/your culture sucks actually' instead. Obviously not true for all, clearly.

Also, on a more petty note, I loving hate that they can't end their drat words.

Blimy
Cricky
Lorrie
Torrie
Smoko
Dodgy
Bevvy
Throwin a Wobbly
Cuppa
Bloody
Telly

etc

loving SAY THE GODDAMN WORDS without an -ie sound after them constantly. There's ridiculous made up bullshit words for everything as well. It's infuriating.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 21, 2021

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

it's just very very funny to bait english guys into defending all their terrible stuff so you can see their awful mealy-mouthed rhetoric in action. it's important to keep ourselves prepared lest we get another TERF author, antivaxxer tabloid news guy, scores of very real pedos, the loving worst music, etc etc

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

Most of my exposure to British people seem to show them as snobbish as a defense mechanism, as in, they have an inferiority complex and project a sense of 'better than you, you/your culture sucks actually' instead. Obviously not true for all, clearly.

Blimy
Cricky
Lorrie
Torrie
Smoko
Dodgy
Bevvy
Throwin a Wobbly
Cuppa
Bloody
Telly

etc

loving SAY THE GODDAMN WORDS without an -ie sound after them constantly. There's ridiculous made up bullshit words for everything as well. It's infuriating.

Lmao

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Big Beef City posted:

Blimy
Cricky
Lorrie
Torrie
Smoko
Dodgy
Bevvy
Throwin a Wobbly
Cuppa
Bloody
Telly

etc

this is literally like a cutsey v-tuber style affectation designed specifically to hide their sinister intentions. Like, genuine baby talk, and it's always funny when they eventually lose their temper and slip into their real voice, which is like shrill spiteful bog crone hiss.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
bugger yer arsehole

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

dr_rat posted:

LOL, look at this absolutely newb who hasn't even unlocked the secrete advanced countries.

:qq: well you don't have to rub it in

On the country list the US only has one red pepper next to it. I can only imagine what the countries with three red peppers next to them are like.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

British people will spend 3 loving years and be all like “ok here’s two more episodes of this show”

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
They have no honor op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

"lol what happens if we put a dumber version of Donald Trump up as leader of the nation??

boris is not dumb really he’s just totally, 100% shameless, an enormous rear end in a top hat, and completely insulated from any consequences no matter what hosed up poo poo he does.

i really can’t stand him cos I feel like he understands what he is doing, he just doesn’t give a poo poo

trump is a totally mindless insecurity ball and although he is deeply, deeply, deeply awful he is way too stupid to realise it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

So who are the Canadians of Europe, then? The Danes?

the dutch

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

oldpainless posted:

British people will spend 3 loving years and be all like “ok here’s two more episodes of this show”

they are not instantly commissioning 24 episode seasons to try to unlock syndication

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i lived in london for 8 years and the UK is very good and there’s a lot of awesome things about living there. but there’s a lot of hosed up things too, mostly a consequence imo of never really coming to terms with the class system or the legacy of colonialism

I loved the UK and never wanted to leave, although I left just before brexit/covid. one love to y’all, britain

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HD DAD posted:

I once dated a British gal and she treated every conversation as if she were doing a perpetual standup comedy bit.

*laugh track*

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

yo Americans plz stop pretending you're Scottish because your great great grandads horse ate some haggis back in 1890 or w/e thanks in advance

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

yo Americans plz stop pretending you're Scottish because your great great grandads horse ate some haggis back in 1890 or w/e thanks in advance

No one pretends they're Scottish wtf are you talking about? It's Irish that all Americans claim to be. No one gives a poo poo about Scotland.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Aardvark! posted:

No one pretends they're Scottish wtf are you talking about? It's Irish that all Americans claim to be. No one gives a poo poo about Scotland.

nah it's true they try to wear a kilt or have some bagpipes at their weddings and it's just trying too hard. you're right that Irish seems to be the most popular one for the yanks to pretend to be though, must be very annoying for the proper Irish having to watch the USA celebrate St "Pattys" day

I get it though, America is like 50 years old so everyone claims they're Irish or Italian or Dutch or something just to feel more cultured, even though they were born in the states and have never left.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I have to work with a British guy at my job and hes a neurotic weasel who freaks out about timelines for every project even when theyre clearly on track

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I get it though, America is like 50 years old so everyone claims they're Irish or Italian or Dutch or something just to feel more cultured, even though they were born in the states and have never left.

only true patriots claim they are actually citizens of another country

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

nah it's true they try to wear a kilt or have some bagpipes at their weddings and it's just trying too hard. you're right that Irish seems to be the most popular one for the yanks to pretend to be though, must be very annoying for the proper Irish having to watch the USA celebrate St "Pattys" day

Excuse you rear end in a top hat I have left the states multiple times

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Dell_Zincht posted:

I asked how many American Michelin starred chefs there are, not how many Michelin starred restaurants there are in America, dipshit.

Even then your original answer isn't the boast you think it is, considering:

"In the U.S., the Michelin Guide covers the states of California, New York, and Illinois, plus Washington D.C."

California on it's own is at least twice the size of the UK, and I daresay New York has a similar density.

Not sure why area would matter for Michelin stars, but population wise California, New York state and Illinois only have 3-4 million people more than the UK.

Limey's can't even do math right

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

no offence to any yanks btw I went to disney world once and it was cool. I saw a massive building shaped like an orange in Kissimmee, FL as well.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gentle Autist posted:

i lived in london for 8 years and the UK is very good and there’s a lot of awesome things about living there. but there’s a lot of hosed up things too, mostly a consequence imo of never really coming to terms with the class system or the legacy of colonialism

I'm Canadian and one of our family friends married an Englishman when he moved here when he was like 18. She is the principal of a local school and he works there as well as a general handyman. It's a pretty good setup they have going.

Anyway, she had never been to England before so a few years back they took a trip there. It turns out that being a principal is the equivalent of being a "head mistress" so she was instantly elevated to a high class and was welcomed into all the fancy establishments. He though was classed as just a "dirty janitor" and none of those same places wanted anything to do with him, but held their noses and put up with him as long as she was with him.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Vakal posted:

I'm Canadian and one of our family friends married an Englishman when he moved here when he was like 18. She is the principal of a local school and he works there as well as a general handyman. It's a pretty good setup they have going.

Anyway, she had never been to England before so a few years back they took a trip there. It turns out that being a principal is the equivalent of being a "head mistress" so she was instantly elevated to a high class and was welcomed into all the fancy establishments. He though was classed as just a "dirty janitor" and none of those same places wanted anything to do with him, but held their noses and put up with him as long as she was with him.

Lol you don't have to be upper class to be a headmistress, my headmistress when I was in secondary school (equivalent of your high school? I really don't get how the US school system works, you have college and university and we have both of those but they're different, anyway...)

My headmistress was my best friend's mother and she was common as muck, basically. Yeah they had money but they didn't show it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

no offence to any yanks btw I went to disney world once and it was cool. I saw a massive building shaped like an orange in Kissimmee, FL as well.

another victim of the decades-long conspiracy to trick british people into taking vacations to florida