Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Weka posted:

I'm pretty sure 220v isn't significantly more dangerous. All the higher voltage will do is make it theoretically easier to get electrocuted but in practice I doubt you'd see many extra cases. It's the amps that will kill you.

Edit: what's the deal with American power transmission? Like it's 220v then it's split somehow at the house? Is that 220v three phase?

i mean im pretty sure that US mains are like 230-240 as well but its alternating and the other end is tied to ground.... we don't do live to live like in the UK i think? so the standard outlet is 1 live to ground instead of 2 lives, hence 120 v.... the only time it really matters is when you're trying to boil water off a regular US outlet.

I found a picture.. we ground in between the 240 volt circuit instead of at the end so we do indeed split it into 2 phase 120 volts:

We make 240v outlets as well for washing machines, electric stoves, etc... you just increase the size of the circuit breaker to cover both live mains. We just don't put them in every outlet in the house because... well...

i was gonna say safer but out plugs are so poo poo that they are live when partially plugged in so we have to do elaborate poo poo to keep the metal from EVER sticking out of the outlet.

This is for things like wall chargers, toasters, lower power devices.

Higher powered devices will have a third grounding prong extra.

I probably hosed that up here is a nerd explaining it all in extreme detail if you care:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMmUoZh3Hq4

[edit] we use three phase for transferring power over power lines.... some businesses that need a shitload of power will maintain the 3 phase to their factory but no... 3 phase is generally for transmission of electricity and is not used in a typical home

[edit2] i also think we use a lot more natural gas for stoves and furnaces and water heaters than england? not sure about that, but yeah... natural gas is very cheap here and more efficient than electricity for heating poo poo per penny

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

dustin.h posted:

You know, for as crappy as our plugs are and how we can touch the contacts when partially unplugged, I've never done that in 40 years, and I asked my father if he'd ever done it, and he hadn't in 70 years.

I did accidentally nail into a wire once when doing some renovating, but nothing happened at all. No shock, no breaker thrown, nothing. Just pulled the nail out and carried on.

The only appliance I have that runs at 240v is the clothes washer. Everything else is gas or oil.

I've been shocked by a 120v many times but never from a plug. It was because we had an ungrounded ancient chest freezer on our concrete garage floor and it would give you a bit of a shock whenever you touched it with out wearing shoes lol.

Oh also that one time my uncle had me rewire a light switch without turning off the power and he did it as a joke then grabbed the wires to shock himself too and we had a laugh