Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I believe the Diablo armor being thought about was the Breast Plate from Diablo 2.

It absolutely looks like it should only take 4 squares of inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
New Duke reminds me of the Joker in Arkham Asylum, where he's always talking to bats through the tv monitors.

I miss old Duke. :(

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I guess this is all based on Mushroom Witch's (Amanda? I already forgot) memories, so of course she sees the cool Duke as a weird rear end in a top hat.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Kacie posted:

New Duke reminds me of the Joker in Arkham Asylum, where he's always talking to bats through the tv monitors.

I miss old Duke. :(

Very Mark Hamill doing Joker sound too

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Can't hear "trioculous key" without thinking of Trioculus from when Star Wars got really weird with poo poo.

I bid you dark greetings

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Rose in jail at the 12:20 mark could easily fit between the bars.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh great, this part. This whole section is where things just go south for me with the DLC campaign. I have a problem with the House Beneviento stuff in the main game because I think it's a great piece of creepiness that works exactly once, after that it's just a slog that you know how to get through without any real danger or excitement.

So I was already disappointed when it popped up again in this campaign, but then they almost saved it with the weeping angel moms, which are such a great idea that hits the middle ground between tense gameplay and weird goofiness. But that only lasts for a couple minutes before you hit the stuff that I really don't like, which I guess is a topic for the next episode.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, uh...

How many times did you have to retry that last part?

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
Jesus, their eyes always get me. Uergh. Love the design.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Oh those dolls are creepy as gently caress.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I forgot they changed it to Giant Land as the theme here, that's actually really cool and makes it even more disappointing how much I dislike this section. Yeah, it's that exact same forced-stealth-in-a-non-stealth-game thing that so many games do, which convinced me that I just hated stealth games, until I finally tried MGSV and realized that no, stealth is great when you have good gameplay expressly designed around it.

I can't stand stuff like this because it turns into guessing the pattern the designer wants you to follow, but then I get bored and start messing up over and over because I'm tired of waiting around through the same cycle again. I honestly couldn't believe how fast it went in the video because I just got stuck in repeated frustrating losses so many times, it felt like a much longer sequence. At least it picks back up again a bit afterwards.

e: In conclusion,

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 1, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I know the answer is "because it would have been hard" but it was really jarring how Rose could get sucked down through the blood mould and end up with her clothes totally covered in it while her hair was still perfectly clean.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

rose's hair is also mold powered and it ate all the mold that coated it and used it to stay shiny and strong

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I feel so sorry for our boy, he's got the worst luck in existence. 2 entire games of suffering, terror, mutilation, hand-mangling and mental trauma. He even gives his life, possibly saving the world, and what does he get? Trapped in a lump of fungus with a whole bunch of super powered psychos and mold monsters. Poor shadow-faced bastard.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I recognize those hands! :D

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

And that's it for Shadows of Rose! We've got one more video left on the characters added to Mercenaries mode and that should be it for this LP, barring any additional DLC updates that aren't yet announced!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I think it's pretty lame that the end of the DLC is almost exactly the same as the ending to the base game (It's not exactly the same, right?).

Also, this whole time I was thinking that the mirrors were all covered up in the Winters household because they would have revealed Miranda in Mia's body, but what if it was for Ethan's benefit? That's why he never comments or says "Mommy got a little weird after you were born and decided to cover all the mirrors and reflective surfaces in our home. An odd, but livable, version of post partum depression I guess."

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
What's so weird about this whole "purifying crystal" nonsense is that the entire DLC is effectively a giant dream inside a mental realm, so the crystal isn't actually a physical object and it's weird that Rose always treats it as one. She never even questions the way K describes it to her. The most logical interpretation is that the crystal and everything else represents relative authority over the megamycete hive mind, I guess - that using it means Rose is suppressing her powers? The Rose clones are just copies of her mind and the horrible ghoul things just ones who have sufficiently decayed they've broken down. (I liked the observation that the ghouls' attacks are just attempts to "steal" Rose's own identity!)

(Hell, technically one could argue that Rose is as much Eveline as she is anything else in the megamycete hivemind.)

I wonder if she could literally call up stuff from within it as spawned fungal matter, given she's a horrible fungus person - everything the megamycete has created or had contact with contains the whole, after all.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 3, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This sure was a DLC that needed to be released. Another visit to the doll house and no Magneto or tall Wolverine.
It seems like the whole making copy Roses thing would have yielded better results if they stayed in the deeper part of the collective, but all the failures were there instead, and the cloning factory. Is notDuke going to keep on doing this forever then?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man, I forgot about all this stuff in the final boss sequence. I guess it'd be a very different game, but all these new powers are so fun, I just remember thinking why wasn't I able to do all this for more than the last two minutes?
I guess I'm just not sure how to feel about that from a gameplay design perspective.

Anyway, it was fun to revisit this campaign, especially seeing how differently it could play during the stuff I didn't like. Thanks for putting it together!

CzarChasm posted:

I think it's pretty lame that the end of the DLC is almost exactly the same as the ending to the base game (It's not exactly the same, right?).

Nah, I played em side to side, and as far as I can tell it's the exact same cutscene except for the original fading out into the "Ethan's story is over" message. I guess it plays a bit differently after seeing those mold powers, but it still feels like a real missed opportunity not to put some kind of new spin on it.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Captain Hygiene posted:

all these new powers are so fun, I just remember thinking why wasn't I able to do all this for more than the last two minutes?

This! I spent too much time harping on the tutorial messages aspect of the cool powers to remember to say this during the video!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Miranda reaching out to Rose from inside a jar made no sense to me. But I suppose, if all the mushroom is connected, then using RE logic, it kinda fits.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Isn't RE logic(tm) "Just go with it and enjoy the spectacle" though? It's not like real life biology or physics were ever on the table.

and that's quite fine.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Miranda reaching out to Rose from inside a jar made no sense to me. But I suppose, if all the mushroom is connected, then using RE logic, it kinda fits.

Miranda is stupidly powerful and probably had even more reach once inside the megamycite.

It kinda makes Ethan's sacrifice a little hollow as all he did was kill her physical form but she just shrugged it off and focused on the newly empowered Rose.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I suppose as long as any of the megamutamucete remains, everyone from Village is still 'alive' in there somewhere.

Which does make it interesting given that Rose, like her dad, is made out of the stuff. So, thinking about that, really the only weird thing about the DLC is that Miranda had to lure her to the lab in the first place.

They could have set the whole thing inside Rose.

Maybe it was? Dun dun duuun

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I guess I'm a little confused by that. At the end of 8 we are told that Ethan died at the beginning of 7 and was replaced by a mold monster, who has all of Ethan's memories/emotions, but it explains his ability to take massive damage and just rebuild/regrow bits and pieces. Fine.

But what of Mia? Was the game implying that she was also killed at the beginning of 7 and replaced with a mold monster? If so, is she also going through a breakdown, but only slower because she didn't go through as much physical trauma as Ethan did?

Because if you tell me that mold monster + normal human = kid with vague telekinetic powers, I kind of buy it. But mold monster + mold monster should = straight up mold monster, and it should be like when Multiple Man had a kid in the comics.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

In two more games time it will be revealed that the entire earth biosphere was replaced by mold monster, the revelation will cause it to die in despair.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

shadow of rose: the resident evil within

azren
Feb 14, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

I guess I'm a little confused by that. At the end of 8 we are told that Ethan died at the beginning of 7 and was replaced by a mold monster, who has all of Ethan's memories/emotions, but it explains his ability to take massive damage and just rebuild/regrow bits and pieces. Fine.

But what of Mia? Was the game implying that she was also killed at the beginning of 7 and replaced with a mold monster? If so, is she also going through a breakdown, but only slower because she didn't go through as much physical trauma as Ethan did?

Because if you tell me that mold monster + normal human = kid with vague telekinetic powers, I kind of buy it. But mold monster + mold monster should = straight up mold monster, and it should be like when Multiple Man had a kid in the comics.

I think the idea is that Mia got the "vaccine," which turned her back into a normal human because RE logic.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

And that should be it for this LP! Thanks to everyone for following along, we'll see you next time!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

That seems kind of fun. Of course the monsters are more interesting to play as rather than Ethan or Chris.

Thanks for the LP. Any ideas on if you're going to do another one?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I've always got ideas for new LPs that I may or may not be working on. That statement applies for other RE games too, if you were just asking about this series specifically. :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm still immensely tickled by the idea of Lady D having to duck through regular-sized doorways in her own house, so I'm delighted to find out it's a part of her gameplay. Also, summoning her daughters to fight her daughters :allears:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Having the gameplay and perspective reflect the fact that, as Lady Dimmi, you're just ridiculously tall is really cool.

"Does this enhance the gameplay?"
"Maybe not but it makes you feel awesome!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

It's definitely a better view of like 6 werewolves getting pasted by a heavy vanity