Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

paragon1 posted:

My head canon is Miranda keeps Mia alive so she can interrogate her about dumb trivia about their lives so she can maintain cover. Just some 100+ year old abomination woman spending hours trying to learn every detail about the time they went to a Dave and Buster's for Ethan's birthday.

"what color are his eyes anyway, I've always wondered"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You will TELL ME about the Cheesecake Factory. What is this location and how does it relate to your marriage? A factory... Is that Heisenberg involved?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

CJacobs posted:

You will TELL ME about the Cheesecake Factory. What is this location and how does it relate to your marriage? A factory... Is that Heisenberg involved?

She brings out a little plushie that Mia made when she was first learning how to make plush dolls, an inscrutable poorly made ball of fluff and fur and just yells "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? What was it ever supposed to be? I found it and thought it was one of my Cadou experiments!"

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Ethan was way too trusting a person that Miranda shouldn't have too much trouble fooling him. Of all the times he was made to give in to others to his detriment, I expected Chris to bludgeon him with that wrench when he asked for it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The reuploaded versions of 19 should at least have 1080p ready now, so here it is, with liquidy's commentary restored.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

ChaosArgate posted:

The reuploaded versions of 19 should at least have 1080p ready now, so here it is, with liquidy's commentary restored.

Isn't this the second time Liquidys audio got cut? Is he cursed?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is the "N2 explosive" an Evangelion reference?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

And that's the end of the campaign! Thanks for sticking with us through this whole adventure!

The Lone Badger posted:

Is the "N2 explosive" an Evangelion reference?

...gently caress.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Personally, I'm not ready for this LP to be over. Soooooo you're gonna have to do something about that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Aw, I'm sad to see it end but I'm glad we got to follow along with Ethan's adventures, he seemed like a real fun guy.

Anyways, thanks you all for all the work you put into this, it says something about both the game and the LP that I was constantly excited to watch it while also completing my fourth playthrough in less than a year. The comments at the end about having the basic plot in mind while RE7 was developed were pretty fascinating - I haven't watched all the 7 DLC videos for stuff I didn't feel like playing through myself, so I guess I've got some more watching to do.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

My favorite part is that Ethan has literally been too stupid to know he's dead this whole time. :allears:

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
"Welcome to the Family, Son."

GAME OVER

or

YOU DIED

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i don't understand argate's funny reference help please explain

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I was making a joke about history repeating, given that Devil May Cry began life as one of the many iterations of Resident Evil 4 before Shinji Mikami told Hideki Kamiya and crew that their work was not appropriate for RE, but would be way better suited to being its own thing, assuming you're asking about the joke towards the end of the video. :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This final twist of Ethan being a Mold Gribbly is actually foreshadowed very early on by Lady Dimitrescu:

She tastes Ethan's blood and remarks that it's "Starting to go a little stale", because he's long dead. She's not tasting blood there, she's tasting mold. He's the vampire equivalent of Quorn.

Also I love that Mother Miranda is basically a Dark Souls boss, constantly shifting between forms seamlessly after introducing them all.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

ChaosArgate posted:

I was making a joke about history repeating, given that Devil May Cry began life as one of the many iterations of Resident Evil 4 before Shinji Mikami told Hideki Kamiya and crew that their work was not appropriate for RE, but would be way better suited to being its own thing, assuming you're asking about the joke towards the end of the video. :v:

Did not know that. Neat.

I'm now imagining Ethan replacing his hosed up left hand with a Devil Breaker.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record, Ethan is pasted onto the UI layer when you use that third person mod, which is why you can catch glimpses of his full face (sorry, I really tried!). That also meant I had to mask him out of pretty much every scene where he walks in front of something, it was an insane amount of work and I think it turned out really lovely!

And I mean any time he's standing in front of something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Thank you all very very much for watching. This LP was an absolute blast to be a part of. RE Village is pure execution, in my opinion; a living testament to show that actually caring about your product and connecting the dots inside it anywhere you can find them will make something cohesive and beautiful.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 24, 2022

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

BioEnchanted posted:

This final twist of Ethan being a Mold Gribbly is actually foreshadowed very early on by Lady Dimitrescu:

She tastes Ethan's blood and remarks that it's "Starting to go a little stale", because he's long dead. She's not tasting blood there, she's tasting mold. He's the vampire equivalent of Quorn.

Also I love that Mother Miranda is basically a Dark Souls boss, constantly shifting between forms seamlessly after introducing them all.
The sisters love him because flies thrive on the dead and rot.

Ethan may be already living impaired, but that did not stop him from having a child.

I believe an early draft of the Duke was that he is the original Horse Lord, because he had a horse, and he was introduced with that horse going crazy and crashing into that spot where he set up. Heisenbutt also said a lot of stuff during the times you met where his dialog sounded like old planning stage content they didn't bother to rerecord, and kept it in.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Oh Ethan. You did good. Real good.

I really liked the conversation Duke has with Ethan in the carriage, a quiet moment before the storm.

The music video with Portishead was awesome.

The writing has been fantastic for both 7 & 8, and I agree, 8 got better and better as it went.

What happened with the BSAA that soured Chris on it so badly before 8? Do we know that, or is that speculation at this point?

Thank you for LPing these two games - they've been a trip.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odSuvSRaOpM&t=507s

When I was reading out the 'man from the west' note in the Bedroom video, I had the storybook from this game looping in the background. Seamless transition between games for the player AND the viewer!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The bed, in bedroom, is the altar upon which Rose is to be resurrected. Clancy is Mother Miranda, assembling the pieces of the ritual.

I'm gonna say that again- Clancy is Mother Miranda, assembling pieces of the ritual.

The flasks, and the houses. And arranging the paintings in the correct order pops open the book to reveal a straw doll mummy with a clock needle stuck in its heart.

Look at the design of the clock you stick the needle from the straw doll's heart into a little closer.

But we all know how this goes for the straw doll himself, in the end. And I don't mean Clancy.

edit: Some other details in Bedroom!

The wine bottles are a trap, covered in spiders. You have to explode them to grab the bottle cork opener.

The combo lock is set to "death, heart, lantern" when you first interact with it.

Clancy has to place Marguerite's GOLDEN LANTERN on the PLINTH to RESTORE THE MAIDEN by solving the shadow puzzle. Again, Clancy is Mother Miranda. He stole the lantern from its real owner. And put it on the plinth to restore the maiden. These games are insane.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 25, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hoffman, obviously, represents Ethan. He's literally wearing the same coat.He has the same shirt sleeve/hand model as Ethan in Village (I checked). And has no face. The guy has been kidnapped by Lucas, no matter who wins in this situation he too is already dead and just doesn't know it yet.

Hoffman loses his hand. But it's okay, he refuses to give up.

In the next round, the man from the west...

...is charred black. But he still refuses to give up, thanks to being puppeteered after his death! Lucas has you go for one more round, wherein all that's left of the poor guy...

Is one hand. And you win.

And what was Clancy's reward, again?

After burning the straw doll and having 'LOSER' written on his arm, he explodes in flames at the birthday party. How about that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 25, 2022

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That camera hack stuff was pretty wild - I didn't know that was possible with RE8. Some great editing there, too. (And you've gotta love a bit of Portishead.)

I'd agree with the Miranda fight being the hardest in the game; it's the third spot in the game that I died - and the only time I died to what I'd describe as regular combat.

I did like how they (finally) explained the limb-reattachment weirdness in RE7 here. When playing RE7, I didn't think "oh, Ethan's dead, isn't he?" - I thought he was infected in some way, of course - but not dead, necessarily. That didn't occur to me at the time. It is interesting how they just left that plot thread hanging in RE7 without even really using it as an overt sequel hook (as far as I remember).

Anyway, thanks for the LP! It was a lot of fun. It sounds like you're not showing any of Mercenaries, then? I completely forgot to check it out when I played (until immediately after uninstalling all of however many dozens of gigs it was). I'm not really into score attack stuff though, so I figured I'm not missing much.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly Ethan being a dead moldman all along never even entered my mind, because Resident Evil is the kind of universe that sidetracked me into believing that first aid meds could realistically do anything up through reattaching limbs, so I spent all my time pondering that possibility. The reveal makes sense, but the franchise is also so weird that I think other endings would've made sense too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Resident Evil 7's health meter being a beating heartrate monitor on your wrist was a piece of absolute genius misdirection. They absolutely wanted you to think "okay I'm alive, just infected with the same virus as the family" and pulled it off really well! Lucas also getting his arm sliced off and surviving I'm sure was intended to nod you toward that explanation.

edit: Also, if you listen close just after being welcomed to the family (son), there's a wheeze that they very well could've twisted into being his death rattle after the boot comes down and the screen goes black.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 25, 2022

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Apparently in the future someone will be smart enough to realize the mold /human hybrid should have dudes keeping an eye on her, but not smart enough to not send total assholes who are going to antagonize her into becoming a super villain. Because humans refuse to learn a single goddamn thing apparently.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

They might just secretly work for Umbrella? Being an rear end in a top hat is in the job description.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
The BSAA using bioweapons, a mother talking to her daughter about a kid touching the moon, and the games final message "The fathers story is done."

Hmm... RE9, Rose battles evil BSAA monsters on a secret moon base? God I hope so. I miss some of the silliness.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

That was a hell of a ride! Thank you so much, guys!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I have three questions:

1) Rose was selected to be the vessel for Eve's resurrection by Mother Miranda, because she's special (Has psychic ghost girl powers?). Is she special just due to random chance, or because Ethan, as a mold man, provided the genetic material to create Rose?

2) Is Mia also mold, or was she fine after she got the cure?

3) In the last scene the bodyguard for Rose tells her "You're a lot like him". How would you know mother fucker? Ethan soloed both of these games until the last fight scene. Yeah, Ethan was under surveillance by Wolf Pack for at least part of RE8, but none of those guys seemed to ever interact with him, much less know what his personality was like.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They are intentionally vague on Rose.

Mia is human.

Everyone knows about Ethan. Even The Duke said so.

If you mess with the camera, you will find out that walking pedestrian at the end of the video is a returning RE character from an earlier game. He could be DLC or sequel bait. Ethan Winters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ahaha what a genius spoiler tag setup.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

His pants, reconstituted from a single denim fiber.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hahaha I just realized, Chris actually did still manage to get an entire squad killed in this game: the goons he brought with him at the start to kidnap Ethan and Rose. YOU were the only survivor of Chris Redfield's failure for once, instead of being Chris Redfield and failing! The poor guy just sucks so bad!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

If you mess with the camera, you will find out that walking pedestrian at the end of the video is a returning RE character from an earlier game. He could be DLC or sequel bait. Ethan Winters.

:thunk:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I mean it is his birthday in the epilogue.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, really.

Capcom knew what they were going to do in Village for the entirety of RE7.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 25, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mia's sacrifice to save Ethan, and Ethan's sacrifice to save Mia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Just so goddamn many...

Connections.