Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd love if it turned out that the Umbrella sigil was completely the opposite meaning to what the characters assumed it was in the logs. Modern umbrella scientists assume ancient ones worshipped gribblys because THEY do now, but in fact the people thousands of years before knew way better than to mess with that poo poo, so marked things with the sigil not as a "We own this" but more of a "Do not touch, it never ends well"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

3) In the last scene the bodyguard for Rose tells her "You're a lot like him". How would you know mother fucker? Ethan soloed both of these games until the last fight scene. Yeah, Ethan was under surveillance by Wolf Pack for at least part of RE8, but none of those guys seemed to ever interact with him, much less know what his personality was like.

I kind of wonder if there's a bit of dramatic irony in that line, possibly to be revealed with RE9. Are we supposed to see the scene as Dick Agent showing an unexpected bit of humanity and kindness to a girl who just got yanked away from her father's grave—or is his point even more literal and dickish? After all, what was Ethan Winters? A mushroom man, kept in the dark, and fed bullshit by secret agents. What's Rose's deal? A girl being jerked around by secret agents, presumably because she's not exactly a factory standard human. Maybe he's offering her an apologetic gesture of compassion, or maybe it's him snidely reminding her that she's in the same position her father used to be in: an NGO asset.

It's a weird scene to end on. Could have ended with Rose living a normal life, the kind of ending Ethan would have wanted for her, or it could have ended with her telling her father she'll make him proud and demonstrating that she has agency in her choice to be the next generation of Resident Evil protagonist. But instead, we end on a fairly downer scene with an out-of-place final line.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They have a sniper or weather satellite following her every move ready to game over her save. They are finally taking this biohazard situation seriously. Let's not forget how they ignored Krauser and his infection. I don't think of the situation with Dick Handler too much in case he may be one of her better co-workers, as she is kept on a tight leash, and still make jokes like that around her a decade after the event.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
DICK HANDLER :eyepop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'M GONNA DIE

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

I was making a joke about history repeating, given that Devil May Cry began life as one of the many iterations of Resident Evil 4 before Shinji Mikami told Hideki Kamiya and crew that their work was not appropriate for RE, but would be way better suited to being its own thing, assuming you're asking about the joke towards the end of the video. :v:

yes, now i understand ty

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You folks this time around have actually been so funny and supportive of the LP that I think I'll reveal the final piece of madness I slotted into the music video to see if anyone would notice.

I match-cut the ending of the Portishead montage to the epilogue with Rose, shot-for-shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3pVBS1cIig

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CJacobs posted:

You folks this time around have actually been so funny and supportive of the LP that I think I'll reveal the final piece of madness I slotted into the music video to see if anyone would notice.

I match-cut the ending of the Portishead montage to the epilogue with Rose, shot-for-shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3pVBS1cIig

That is awesome, :five:/:five:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If Rose does end up headlining RE9 it would be great to have a parallel introduction to RE8 ie the calm before the storm, but this time it's Rose at Chris's base going to his office before going into the field and slamming his head into the table until he tells her every detail that he knows about the upcoming situation. "That's need-to-know..." "I'M GOING THERE! I. NEED. TO. KNOW!"

azren
Feb 14, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

If Rose does end up headlining RE9 it would be great to have a parallel introduction to RE8 ie the calm before the storm, but this time it's Rose at Chris's base going to his office before going into the field and slamming his head into the table until he tells her every detail that he knows about the upcoming situation. "That's need-to-know..." "I'M GOING THERE! I. NEED. TO. KNOW!"

I wholeheartedly approve of this idea. Someone's gotta slam his head against his desk.

Also, given how Evelyn aged super quick at one point, what are the chances that this isn't ~17 years later, but much sooner?

edit: Forgot that Evelyn was a flawed vessel, and Rose is supposed to be more perfected, or something.

azren fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 26, 2022

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
So either molded can :gizz: or Rose isn't Ethan's daughter and I'm not sure which is more disturbing

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Mold seems to mimic a subjects internals and bodily fluids, given that ZombieEthan still bled when stabbed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

The Mold seems to mimic a subjects internals and bodily fluids, given that ZombieEthan still bled when stabbed.

Also Dimitrescu didn't notice that the reason the blood tasted stale was because it wasn't actually blood. If it wasn't mimicking his blood she'd probably have realised from the beginning that there was nothing man-flesh about him. She noticed it was tasting mouldy but didn't think as to why.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Only found this after it was over, but what a great LP.

I love the RE series, and you can tell the creators love it too.

May have to rewatch the RE 7 LP just to see it with all this new context.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hey speaking of re-experiencing RE7!

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1499036815000543234

azren
Feb 14, 2011

That last bit about free upgrades is both nice and surprising.

Incidentally, do you guys have any intention of doing the 3make?

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Holy poo poo are the first aid meds just Jack's homemade fertilizer?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hey we're back to take a look at the Winters' Expansion DLC! First up, we're looking at Shadows of Rose, the story expansion!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh, cool! This'll be fun to watch. I have mixed feelings about the Rose campaign, I think I liked 2/3 of it quite a bit and really didn't like the other third. We saw a bit of it here, but I was kinda surprised at some of the creepiness it gets into along the way, in a different way than the main campaign. I'll be curious to see what you all think along the way.

The third person view is interesting. I'd played the main game recently enough that I only toyed around with it for an hour or so, but I enjoyed trying to sneak the camera around to see Ethan's face, only for him to turn away every time like the shy little guy he is.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 11, 2023

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Ooooooooh! New DLC! I can't wait to see how-

Oh.

Ooooooooooooooooh.

:ohdear:

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Okay, first thoughts on seeing Roses doppelganger? I thought "this's gonna be another Natalia situation." (RE: Rev 2) But as soon as I saw all the other copies my thoughts changed to, "Oh no, this's gonna be so much worse." I do like the friendly golden fairies that are JUST as reliable as mythical fairies. All that said, severe PTSD and massive trauma seem like a heavy price to pay for getting some airheads to be friends with you.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Straight off the bat, not even 5 minutes into the video, I have to ask - why the everliving gently caress would you keep a chunk of the megamycete?

Why would you keep it in a glass jar?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Straight off the bat, not even 5 minutes into the video, I have to ask - why the everliving gently caress would you keep a chunk of the megamycete?

:science:

The risk of this turning into :byoscience: for anyone involved is too small and the gains too great, obviously. That or nobody played Evil Within 1 or 2 in this universe.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

because they have too much to keep it in a glass vial

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
What are they supposed to keep it in, Tupperware? Just put it behind the milk in the fridge?

... Okay as stupid as that sounds I could totally see someone in the Resident Evil universe doing just that.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Oh sweet! I didn't expect more of this game, and I wasn't paying attention to the fact that there was DLC, so I got a pleasant surprise today! Thanks, guys!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Apologies for this being a day late, I'm a little out of the swing of things. :v:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Do the molds have location damage, and would shooting the legs help? Or is it only headshots do more damage?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I don't actually know? I'm not sure that shooting anything in the limbs was particularly helpful in the base game, so I might have subconsciously just gone straight for the head based on that. The last RE game I played before SoR was RE3 for the LP, so I might've had a lot of habits from that still relatively fresh in my mind.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That goo stuff was one thing I didn't really like, it seemed like it to repeatedly get bogged down in it game over multiple times while you're trying to figure out where to go. And that death scene was another bit that seemed unexpectedly morbid in comparison to the main game.

For that location damage, I guess I never really consciously thought about it, but it always felt so much like headshot damage really worked in 7 & 8 that I just did it by default for these guys too.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That death animation was horrifying because it *just wouldn't stop* and you had to listen to the scream for so long!

Just let her get pulled under quickly to end her suffering faster dangit we don't need to spend three hours watching her die

Also I like how we got our gun. Looking forward to getting more items that way.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Edit: nvm

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Yes, those chairs are old school, "commode chairs", based off of 1600s-1700s central European style.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

longer barrel -> more damage because the bullet spends more time with the expanding gas pushing it through the barrel, reaching higher speed

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The mention of Leon S(hins of steel) Kennedy reminded me that this campaign canonically takes place in 2037, that "rookie cop" is 60 years old by this point :corsair:

Obviously they sidestep a bit by taking you into a weird version of Castle Dimitrescu, but I'll always be a little disappointed that what we see of the outside world doesn't have weird hovercars or something going on.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

CzarChasm posted:

Yes, those chairs are old school, "commode chairs", based off of 1600s-1700s central European style.

biosterous posted:

longer barrel -> more damage because the bullet spends more time with the expanding gas pushing it through the barrel, reaching higher speed

Longer barrel makes gun poop slugs at higher force, got it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

New Variant
Specimen # A035-7992
Discovered with the introduction of reagent 2
(something) with catalyst 6, non-toxic
Revitalises under decompression
Strong reaction to living organisms

The important part of the label is that apparently if you break the jar the sample will come back to life and eat everything.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 19, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Ooh, two episodes to watch.

Ep2: I think Rose got gun training for the 'boulder puncher' and his team. She did meet up with one of them in the last episodes and seemed pretty familiar with him.

Yeah that lantern thing holding the magic crystal looks very weak to, say, shooting the glass out and scooping up the goodies.

Is there any explanation why Tubs O'Guts is now a bad guy and tormenting mushroom girls?

edit: Nevermind, covered in Part 3.

Ep 3: Great, another video game villain gloating over a tannoy. Wonder who's his graphic designer who made the logo on the TVs?

Ah, three shot magic powers. I was wondering why there was that little filigree in the corner there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Apologies for this being a day late, I thought yesterday was Monday because Monday was Presidents' Day so I didn't have work. :v: