Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hi here's the framework for a joke that i can't complete because i don't know enough about the game

🎵 in the first vid of village,
chris redfield gave to me
a dead wife and kidnapped baby

[...]

in the fifth vid of village,
ONE hosed-UP EYE
[...]
and a dead wife and kidnapped baby

that's all i've got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Can we talk for a second about the fact that the bathroom in Ethan's house is right above the kitchen. Like, I know that plumbing can prevent issues with that, it's just... I don't like it.

edit: Also, what does this series have against Ethan's left hand!? Dear God!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I feel bad for Ethan's hands, but I guess that's what you get when you need to beat up the main character but they're all you can see.

As far as the inventory goes, I enjoyed the return to inventory tetris but also felt like it was much less meaningful because I rarely felt as limited as in RE4. I guess it's a tough balance, keeping it more limited like in a lot of 7 would've also taken away from the faster action-y feel I think.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Weird coincidence; I just started playing RE8 yesterday. After updating video card drivers, tweaking the weird keybinds because the developers have apparently never seen a keyboard, installing a mod that lets you change the FOV so I don't have to play it in Simulation Sickness/Binoculars Taped To Your Face mode, etc. The usual :pcgaming: dance.

So I might come back later; don't want to spoil anything for myself, obviously.

stryth posted:

See if you can remember who said what, and mark it off!
(not a serious effort. I did not record answers.)

Philippe posted:

It's weird how you got several quotes from RE: Revelations 2, but none from 5

Isn't "You will give me an egg!" said by Wesker in RE5? (I.e. the best character in that game.)

But yeah, speaking of RE5, seems like that bingo card missed a golden opportunity for "Youse two are just in time for the fire-woiks show! BOOM!". (I.e. said by the worst character in that game.)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can tell that first aid med is a full heal because it has a plus on it. Just like in RE7.
It is a good thing that lycan didn't eat your ring, so there would be no reason to make a joke about your missing wedding ring.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

biosterous posted:

hi here's the framework for a joke that i can't complete because i don't know enough about the game

🎵 in the first vid of village,
a dead wife and kidnapped baby

[...]

in the fifth vid of village,
ONE hosed-UP EYE
[...]
and a dead wife and kidnapped baby

that's all i've got

Honestly that's better than at least half the Twelve Days of Christmas parodies I've heard before.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Ethan has whatever the opposite of hemophilia is, he must've clotted right up after losing half his hand.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Help! I started thinking about what would go on a Resident Evil bingo card. I got a bit stuck partway through though - and I can't be bothered looking up TV Tropes pages or whatever on Resident Evil - so here's what I've got so far.

(For the record, I've only played like an hour past where the second video got up to, so this is all just what I expect to happen in an RE game:)

01 - Boss comes back from the dead.
02 - Turn a stone, find an improbable secret underground lab.
03 - Conservation of matter? Never heard of it.
04 - Everything starts exploding dramatically before the countdown timer has finished.
05 - Boss comes back from the dead twice.
06 - Can't tell if I'm doing the right thing in this boss fight because there's no health bar.
07 - Load-bearing boss.
08 - Multiple wacky puzzle-doors just to get from your office to the bathroom.
09 - Boss comes back from the dead three times.
10 - Your right hand comes off?
11 - Wait, your hand goes back on?! :stonk:
12 -
13 - LOOK AT THAT ONE hosed UP EYE
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 - Boss comes back from the dead FOUR TIMES.
18 -
19 -
20 -
21 -
22 -
23 -
24 -
25 - Boss comes back from the dead FIVE TIMES!

If anyone wants to change/add to this and make it a group effort, go nuts.

(It should maybe be said too that I don't know much about bingo.)

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Antistar01 posted:

Isn't "You will give me an egg!" said by Wesker in RE5? (I.e. the best character in that game.)

But yeah, speaking of RE5, seems like that bingo card missed a golden opportunity for "Youse two are just in time for the fire-woiks show! BOOM!". (I.e. said by the worst second best character in that game.)

It is, it’s from Mercenaries. There’s also Chris punching a boulder, but that isn’t a quote.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Antistar01 posted:

Help! I started thinking about what would go on a Resident Evil bingo card.

Key is shaped like the symbol on the door that it opens
Otherwise normal animal is now gigantic/mutated
You can kill that with a knife?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Antistar01 posted:

tweaking the weird keybinds because the developers have apparently never seen a keyboard

I play basically everything with a mouse and keyboard (the first step is recognizing that you have a problem), and this poo poo annoys me so much. There's never any consistency. On some games, the interact key is B! The last three Assassin's Creeds have had entirely different keys for freerunning, and it's real frustrating.

Bingo card-wise:
- Dramatic ACTING
- A very loose grasp of geography
- A gross note

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

You can kill that with a knife?

It will never cease to amuse me how, in one of the Animated movies, Leon was absolutely ready to take on multiple Tyrants at once with just a knife. Absolutely captured the games there.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Trope bingo suggestions:
that twit just stole the puzzle key.
Things crashing through windows.
Kill it with an RPG!
Stupid plans that make no sense.
Let's split up.(Even if there's only one way to go.)
Really silly keys.

As for my "Quote" Bingo, I just googled "Resident Evil game quotes" and grabbed the first 24 unique ones I saw.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

stryth posted:

Trope bingo suggestions:
that twit just stole the puzzle key.
Things crashing through windows.
Kill it with an RPG!
Stupid plans that make no sense.
Let's split up.(Even if there's only one way to go.)
Really silly keys.

As for my "Quote" Bingo, I just googled "Resident Evil game quotes" and grabbed the first 24 unique ones I saw.

To expand on "really silly keys" I'd specifically add "keys that are in multiple parts."

Other possibilities:
Extreme OSHA violations
Text logs that are clearly only there for the player
Keys in places that make no actual sense

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Isn't "Total Global Saturation" or something like it a RE5 quote that gets some use?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

White Coke posted:

Isn't "Total Global Saturation" or something like it a RE5 quote that gets some use?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsSqDnNIo8
Close. Mask up everybody

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm guessing that first timed demo ended around when you get into the house? I don't know because mine literally ended as I touched the porch steps, mainly because I also took forever figuring out that I needed to climb up and over the gate and unlock it :v:

I agree with the house sequence being a traumatic reference to all the Baker house stuff - I noticed some similarities when I played through it, but after just watching RE7 it seems very evident. Good job, RE8.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It took me ages to find the thing behind the house that you're supposed to climb up onto, too. I don't think the level design there quite draws your eye to it well enough. I spent ages running around the village (wasting a huge chunk of the timed demo), trying to work out what I was missing.

The "village" demo ends shortly after the spot where this video ends; so the whole house sequence was included in the demo. I did still get to see all that in the demo, even after wasting all that time. It just meant that I only had like seven minutes left for the "castle" demo, so I missed most of that. :v:

The demos didn't need to be timed, since they were short and finite chunks of the game anyway. It was just obnoxious, really. Don't know why they did that.

I'm glad you guys commented on Ethan slamming his mangled fist against the wall near the end there (and not even flinching); ouch. It was weird playing through this part after playing the demo, since the demo is like an alternate universe in which he didn't have half his hand bitten off. Slamming his fist against the wall made a bit more sense there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh huh, I figured the rest of the house sequence was longer than they would've let folks play. That's a pretty solid chunk of demo gameplay between the two sequences, I really wish more games did that (even if, yeah, the time limit was weird).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For reference Ethan has both his hands in the demo so that part where he bangs his recently hotdogged fingers on the wall makes a little more sense.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
IIRC, I think you don't even need to fire at the wolf dad when he is lunging at you. When I saw he had the exact same weapon as the other lycans, I knew what would happen.

I don't know how many stories there are about Mandrakes, but one I remember is that they are entirely manmade and I'll definitely leave it at that.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Antistar01 posted:

The demos didn't need to be timed, since they were short and finite chunks of the game anyway. It was just obnoxious, really. Don't know why they did that.

It certainly kept you interested didn't it?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
She stole our shotgun! Rude!

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Shame we didn't grab the shotgun Elena had, it was a sweet vertical double barrel too. Shame Ethan left it to burn, but given his panic inducing Deja-vu, I don't really blame him.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

That was a drat fine segment, I'll agree with you guys. That level of pathos isn't something I usually expect from a RE game, but it did it pretty well.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
After watching this video and hearing all of CJake's hidden forbidden knowledge, we need a CJacobs side run of Resident E8_ The Village showing off all the cool poo poo exploding and damaging eyes.

Remember kids, wear your ANSI Z87 safety glasses!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This is the hallway, by the way. Jack even turns to face you in about the same pose.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Over and over and over again.

Poor guy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ethan "Sisyphus" Winters

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Wa11y posted:

After watching this video and hearing all of CJake's hidden forbidden knowledge, we need a CJacobs side run of Resident E8_ The Village showing off all the cool poo poo exploding and damaging eyes.

Remember kids, wear your ANSI Z87 safety glasses!

IIRC, the things that are being missed/skipped are unimportant to the plot and are just a small side mechanic we haven't dealt with yet.

And I don't think it really prevents showing off anything really if he doesn't get them all.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ethan "Sisyphus" Winters

One must imagine Ethan happy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
SISYPHUS METAPHORS ARE BETTER THAN PROMETHEUS METAPHORS

ALL MY HOMIES HATE HAVING THEIR LIVER EATEN BY BIRDS

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

CJacobs posted:

SISYPHUS METAPHORS ARE BETTER THAN PROMETHEUS METAPHORS

ALL MY HOMIES HATE HAVING THEIR LIVER EATEN BY BIRDS

What if the bird came by every day to gently caress up Prometheus's hand?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Clayren posted:

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Clayren posted:

I dunno, I think it'd be better if it messed up his eye. But only one eye.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I really feel sorry for Ethan. I mean, it's only been an hour or two, and he's having almost as bad a time as he did in Louisiana. Which means it's going to get so, SO much worse for him. Our poor, poor faceless hand torture subject.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

It certainly kept you interested didn't it?

The time limit? No, it was annoying!

I wanted to try the RE8 demo because RE4 is one of my favourite games - I've bought it three times already (original GameCube version, original crappy PC port, later better PC port), and probably soon a fourth time when I get the VR version - but I thought RE7 was okay, but overrated. So I was hoping it would be more like RE4 and less like RE7.

So far playing the full game (because I'm a fair way ahead of the LP now), I'm finding it to be more like RE7, but with a lot of references to RE4. I am enjoying it more than I did RE7, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/ChaosArgate/status/1476293496600502272