Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
When you mentioned that you can take on that giant in the village sequence, is that even possible on a fresh game or is that some NG+ thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Scalding Coffee posted:

When you mentioned that you can take on that giant in the village sequence, is that even possible on a fresh game or is that some NG+ thing?

You get a knife that doesn't break, so some madman has probably done it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Scalding Coffee posted:

It's surely not possible with the supplies they give you sadly. If you watch a video for the cheevo (it's called Timber but be wary of spoilers) it still takes several endgame weapon shots on Normal. Kudos to them for dropping in an actual real boss-fight-level guy who can kill you into the very first enemy encounter though, very Dr Salvador!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

stryth posted:

You get a knife that doesn't break, so some madman has probably done it.

Scratch that it's 100% possible

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

An important technique for the knife-minded is to hold the block button while swiping madly. Blocking cancels the back end of the swipe animation, because Capcom figures this is a tiny knife and also this isn't Monster Hunter. Incidentally, you can also interrupt your block animation by swinging your knife. What this means is you swing your knife maybe twice as fast as normal, and all you need to do to block an incoming attack is to stop mashing the knife button!

Granted, my knife only run was on the easiest difficulty, and I don't remember if I tried taking on the big boy or not. Also, it's been a good chunka time since I played RE8, so I might be misremembering the details on this technique. Your mileage may vary!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://i.imgur.com/69wQhnZ.mp4
:iceburn:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 30, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Considering how relatively clean the living areas of the castle is, they sure don't mind all that blood on the floors. There are large blood stains where Dmitrescu was sitting when her daughters brought in Ethan.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Ethan Winters can heal any injury by splashing it with medicine, which is great. But he is going to have so much arthritis in his hands, knees and everywhere else early in life. It's gonna suck.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
It's funny to think that the greatest weapon against RE protag's is a competent janitor, putting all the supplies in a locked room. If the ladies here hadn't left that healing bottle there Ethan would have been in trouble, same goes for all the bullets and bullet making materials you'll no doubt find in the castle.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AGREED, SIGNED, SEALED

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Needs more gribly.

It's not a true Ethan Winters PTSD flashback until he has to face Griblys.

I do love Bloodborne Magneto, however.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I kinda wish you had an "Ethan Winters Hand Trauma" counter going. With a little "ding" every time it happens in a cutscene.

But that's extra work and this LP is already amazing so I do not begrudge its absence at all.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Have to admit, I died to the spinning spike-covered-logs trap there. I was trying to open one of those crates, thinking they'd contain something to jam the trap with (they really shouldn't have given you a prompt to break them if you can't currently break them), and didn't have enough time to find the hidey-hole.

I haven't died to anything but scripted sequences so far though, actually. (And I think I'm about halfway through?)

... I also have to admit that, like everyone else on the Internet, I love Tall Vampire Lady. She's great. What an amazing voice too, drat.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Shei-kun posted:

I kinda wish you had an "Ethan Winters Hand Trauma" counter going. With a little "ding" every time it happens in a cutscene.

But that's extra work and this LP is already amazing so I do not begrudge its absence at all.

we nearly drove ninegear crow mad getting him to do various dinging counters in the old PoP2008 LP. CJacobs knows what pain and suffering that brings...

so hell yah y'all should totally do it!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I imagine there's a general Resident Evil thread and this may have come up there already - but I'm not about to start poking around in a thread like that when I haven't finished RE8 yet, so...

I just spotted this magazine ad and uh... well:

:tinfoil:

(I blurred out the brand because I don't actually want to advertise for them.)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Now I want a sidestory detailing how Wesker managed to create an entire covert sub-division of Umbrella on the side, fueled by his intense love of condiments.
"Our sauces will be released into supermarkets worldwide, ensuring complete...global...saturation."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
PAPA JACK's 55 HERBS n' SPICY SAUCE. just don't check the labels for the secret ingredient!

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The secret ingredient is either people, or mold..... or people AND mold.

The ingredient list for Puncle Joe's special sauce is one word: Critters.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've actually just beaten this game, so this will be fun to follow. I enjoyed how open the village gets as the story goes on, and how varied the antagonists are.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ethan really does have the worst vacation luck. I strongly suspect he gave up on them and was about an hour into a staycation when Chris showed up and murdered his wife

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would hate to see the look on Alcina's face every time you killed her daughters.
Was there a side story demo that came out before the timed demo of this game?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You know what I don't want to misinterpret colorful local custom, but I'm starting to think not everything in this castle is on the up and up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

paragon1 posted:

You know what I don't want to misinterpret colorful local custom, but I'm starting to think not everything in this castle is on the up and up.

Who on earth would ruin such a finely crafted mug by drinking cherry Kool-Aid from it, for instance

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I hated the way that the zombies jerked right after you kill them. Almost always waste a bullet putting them down.

Also, for anyone unfamiliar with Harry Potter Puppet Pals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4

Oh, Niel Cicierega did this? Neat.

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I would hate to see the look on Alcina's face every time you killed her daughters.
Was there a side story demo that came out before the timed demo of this game?

Yes, the "Maiden Demo." It was more of a graphic tech demo, with no combat. You played a then-nameless maiden, a former maid of the Castle, who had been thrown into the dungeon, and was trying to escape. The demo ended with you opening the door to the courtyard, and being killed by Lady D.

The interesting part is, you started with a necklace in your inventory, that was described as a local charm against evil. That necklace is identical to Ingrid's Necklace, which Chaos Argent just looted off one of the zombies in the catacombs.

So know we know the Maiden's name, and her final end.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I do love that Dimitrescu and her daughters names are just ABCD - Alcina, Bela, Cassandra, Daniela

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BioEnchanted posted:

I do love that Dimitrescu and her daughters names are just ABCD - Alcina, Bela, Cassandra, Daniela

holy poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
lucas levels of creativity on display by lady d

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'd have to agree that the inventory management in RE4 is more challenging than in RE8. I was happy to see that style of inventory system return, but it ended up not actually having any impact on the game for me, because I finished RE8 last night and never came anywhere near running out of inventory space even once.

I enjoyed the game, though. I mean, there's no danger of it taking RE4's place as my favourite RE game, but I did like it a lot more than RE7. Also, I've been watching Slowbeef and Diabetus' playthrough of RE6 lately, and... I doubt it needs to be said, but drat, what a contrast between RE6 and RE8.

RE8 did seem kind of easy on the "Normal" difficulty setting? I only died three times, and only one of those times was from what I'd describe as combat and not a scripted sequence; very near the end of the game.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

And they are currently hunting Ethan.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Weeble posted:

Lol this keeps getting better

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Weeble posted:

Ethan and his hosed-up Gaping Hand Injury.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

Clayren posted:

Ethan and his hosed-up Gaping Hand Injury.

...Jesus

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Weeble posted:

...Jesus

Killed Loving Mia

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

liquidypoo posted:

Killed Loving Mia

NOOOOOOO!

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

Oh Please Quit Remembering Stressful Times.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Very wily, xenophobic young zymologists!