Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Huh. You know, when playing this I completely forgot that you could buy ammo from the Duke. I just did the RE4 thing of getting an ammo capacity upgrade while having little or no ammo in the gun, so that I got free ammo with the upgrade.

Holy poo poo, I missed the "boulder-punching rear end in a top hat" line when I played it. (I had subtitles turned off and was concentrating on not dying.) That's amazing. :v:

Also, did you say chainsaw swordfight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm just catching up, on the stronghold video because I've been busy. Just wanted to say I hated the stronghold because I thought that the enemies were infinite. Didn't realise that they eventually stopped.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
I feel like the thing with Heisenberg and the horsehead/horseshoe motif (apart from the very plausible chess analogy upthread) is just a case of it being the crest of his house. They're supposed to be descended from these ancient lines of nobility or whatever right? Heraldry is very important to those sorts of families. Maybe Heisenberg is just one of the few with enough pride left in where his family came from to put his crest everywhere. The fact that we don't see the heraldry of the houses as more of a strong motif in their areas is probably related to the messy development cycle and cut content more than anything. We see the house crests on their balls and often on keys at the very least.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:goku: :goku: :goku:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Makrond posted:

We see the house crests on their balls

I'm so sorry that my childlike sense of humor has caused me to quote only this excerpt from this very logical post!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Man, Fire Emblem Three Houses got weird.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Someone asked about Heisenberg being able to lift Ethan into the air even though Ethan probably doesn't have enough metal in or on him to react normally (debatable)

In short, since old HB appears to have Magneto level powers, yes he can. Water will react to a magnetic field, but it has to be a crazy powerful magnetic field, and it is a repellent reaction (pushes away). A human body is 70% water, blah blah blah, yes it's possible

Now, the fact that Ethan is carrying a small arsenal of metal firearms, explosives and ammunition, and it's connected in such a way that none of it ever just falls off, would mean that it would be even easier to throw around magnetically.

I forget, has the megamycete been referenced before this?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CzarChasm posted:

Someone asked about Heisenberg being able to lift Ethan into the air even though Ethan probably doesn't have enough metal in or on him to react normally (debatable)

In short, since old HB appears to have Magneto level powers, yes he can. Water will react to a magnetic field, but it has to be a crazy powerful magnetic field, and it is a repellent reaction (pushes away). A human body is 70% water, blah blah blah, yes it's possible

Either Heisenberg has power levels far in exceedance of Magneto, or the documentary X2: X-Men United misled me regarding what is necessary to manipulate a human body in that scale using magnetic fields

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Either Heisenberg has power levels far in exceedance of Magneto, or the documentary X2: X-Men United misled me regarding what is necessary to manipulate a human body in that scale using magnetic fields

If you are referring to the part in X2 where Magneto escapes the plastic prison, the security guard was injected with what I would consider a very unhealthy amount of liquid metal, (any) which was then forcibly extracted, and then manipulated so Magneto could make his escape.

I mean to be fair, Heisenberg is making a tornado of all the various pieces of metal just laying around his farm, including a few run down trucks and at least one tractor, in addition to animating the giant Iron Akira mutant body he's focusing on. Dude's got power to spare.

In either event we are talking magnetic forces that we cannot really even come close to replicating in the real world, and it is likely that he'd pull all the iron out of his blood before it levitated him.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

If you are referring to the part in X2 where Magneto escapes the plastic prison, the security guard was injected with what I would consider a very unhealthy amount of liquid metal, (any) which was then forcibly extracted, and then manipulated so Magneto could make his escape.

Oh that's right, it's been long enough that I just remembered him being floated in the air and forgot that was secondary to the rest of the escape. I cede my nerd card

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Incidentally, in case anyone is somehow not familiar with the Boulder Punching, I'd like to take this flimsy excuse to post this .gif of it:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is the boulder infected?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yes, with gettinginthewayofchrisredfieldkillingweskeritis.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Now that I've caught up, I just want to say how cool I think mother Miranda's design is. She goes all out with the whole Seraphim idea, with the 6 wings and the halo-collar. It's a very distinctive look.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If you got shapeshifting abilities might as well go big.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Now that Ethan is pre-ceremoniously dead, that leaves Chris once again to save the day. Considering how long Ethan was being kept in the dark about everything, I think Chris may have been responsible for this series of events. The whole revenge thing about the Redfield bloodline.

Not sure if anyone noticed this, but during the fights with the soldats, if you blow off the visor/helmets, the eyes of the soldats are not exactly working correctly like a normal person's would. Maybe the visors are meant to provide sensory input to keep them functioning normally or else you get that one guy dancing in the mould room while you watch from behind a door.

CzarChasm posted:

Now, the fact that Ethan is carrying a small arsenal of metal firearms, explosives and ammunition, and it's connected in such a way that none of it ever just falls off, would mean that it would be even easier to throw around magnetically.

I forget, has the megamycete been referenced before this?
Either that once earlier or lumped in with mutamycete.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Now that Ethan is pre-ceremoniously dead, that leaves Chris once again to save the day. Considering how long Ethan was being kept in the dark about everything, I think Chris may have been responsible for this series of events.

Getting an early start on that whole "the entire squad dies on my watch" thing this time around, I guess!

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
The thought just occurred to me, didn't the whole "sole survivor squad captain" trait used to belong to Hunk, or whatever his name was? Did chris steal his schtick when Capcom Ran out of ways to shoehorn in the gas-masked dude dude in tactical black?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The reuploaded versions of 19 should at least have 1080p ready now, so here it is, with liquidy's commentary restored.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 23, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yess my favorite part.

Chris's weapons don't actually have upgrades but they are pretty balanced and good for the harder postgame difficulties without being overpowered.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I hated the satellite weapon. I always hate those in games, it's such a pain in the rear end to find a window to aim it for long enough. I do love however that this entire section is just everyone making GBS threads on Chris for making the dumbest possible decisions. Just "You hosed up." "But I made the decisions because..." "Doesn't matter. You hosed up." "You hosed up protecting me and my husband pretty badly" "I'll protect you're daughter" "Nah, you'll just gently caress that up too."

Spoilered it because it includes stuff from the end of the video and it's only about an hour old.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 21, 2022

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I like how both RE6 and 7 have introduced huge, centuries-old conspiracies that never come up again after their respective games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like this whole Chris section a lot, it's like a better, more focused version of what I liked about Not A Hero compared to the main game. The funny thing that always surprises me is that, while it was a big :hellyeah: Walking Armory moment my first time through, in my later playthroughs I've often been cheesing through harder difficulties with some infinite ammo or other. Then Chris shows up yet another time, and all of a sudden I have to actually think about what I'm doing again. I guess the Heisenberg fight is the other biggest example, it's also kinda funny that they basically show up back to back.

Anyways it's all great and I love the lore dump at the end, even if it ends with Chris being all "*sigh* I guess we could not just leave you on your own in a prison/laboratory in a town we're about to blow up" at Mia, while admitting he basically hosed up the whole Ethan/Rose operation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Anyways it's all great and I love the lore dump at the end, even if it ends with Chris being all "*sigh* I guess we could not just leave you on your own in a prison/laboratory in a town we're about to blow up" at Mia, while admitting he basically hosed up the whole Ethan/Rose operation.

He also stuck a nuclear level warhead into the megamycete one room back. It is just so absolutely hilarious to me that he tells mia to stay put without hesitation, he's such a big stupid gorilla man, he never learns anything

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 21, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Stay here one room from this nuke, I swear I'll be RIGHT back

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

No Loose Ends

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Well, if Chris vaporizes all the people he's supposed to be protecting, then none of the people who want misuse their various infections can get to them! It makes perfect sense in the mind of a man who thinks punching a boulder will make it move faster. Just like how he thought, (After seeing what Ethan went through in Louisiana just for his GF/fiancé) he could shoot "Mia" in the head, and kidnap Rose, right in front of Ethan and still expect Ethan to listen to him when he said "stay out of this!" Chris Redfield desperately needs therapy, and lessons on Leadership and common sense! Maybe also a visit to Rehab, flush out some of those steroids.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Just as a heads up, liquidy found out there was a problem with episode 19 as it is now so I'm gonna re-render and upload the videos and replace them within the next two-ish days, depending on how long it takes for YouTube to process the 1080p versions.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Is it that literally none of his audio is there, because I thought I was losing my mind listening to half a conversation

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Makrond posted:

Is it that literally none of his audio is there, because I thought I was losing my mind listening to half a conversation

Yes! The action sadly got too hot and liquidy evaporated into a gaseous form for about half the video. I was not talking to a ghost about how cool karambits are, though I wouldn't turn down the chance.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Just don't badmouth Eveline. I did it before the video and she covered me in mold for about 5 minutes. Weird how she silences me, but chokes out CJacobs

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I’m so glad I have two co-commentators willing to learn this lesson for me.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
In the meantime, I'm going to have fun watching the video as is and trying to figure out what he said based off of yours and CJacobs's reactions.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Chris put Ethan's family through all this just to get at Miranda and as revenge for Ethan not continuing the Redfield bloodline. Chris may be the worst person of all the villains in the game.

The wine called Regina Rosie in the first video, may be a reference to the protag in Dino Crisis. I wonder if the other fake items reference other games?

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
It's amazing how out of touch with reality Miranda is, "This baby might just be the perfect host I've spent a century looking for! But I need to carefully test it to see if I'm right, where's my cleaver?"

Also in case anyone was wondering.
Mapmatician achievement = get 100% map completion, aka visit every room in the game at least once to fill out the map.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I consider Miranda to be a really tragic villain because she demonstrates very human tunnel vision, maybe even better than our buddy Chris. At the beginning of this game, she essentially already had everything she hopes to accomplish: A return to a normal life after lunacy. Miranda had perfectly infiltrated and integrated herself into Ethan's life to the point where even we aren't made clear how long Mia's been gone. She had obtained the daughter she seeks to raise and was reading bedtime stories to her, across from her fake dollhouse husband in her fake dollhouse life she's got total control over because they're in the mountains in Romania where no one cares about Ethan or Rose. Based on the huge amount of baby food jars in the back closet I'd imagine that Miranda recognized this, even. She could have stolen Rose from Ethan at any time, so why hadn't she?

Maybe the reason she was stalling is because she was happy, but she doesn't know what that's like.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 22, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why take Rose to the doctor for checkups if you're going to slice her apart and sacrifice her? Why buy her toys and play games or watch cartoons? Why throw her a birthday party? Why walk on the beach and give your child piggyback rides? Take family photos? She did all of these things recently, was in perfect control of all of these things. It's not for Ethan's benefit, she clearly doesn't give a squat about him as he doesn't even have a part to play in the ritual.

I think Miranda was well aware of the circumstance she'd found herself in at the start of the game and was getting hesitant to change it. With enough time, she may not have.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Do you think in his last moments, Ethan realized that the reason Mia didn't want to talk about Louisiana wasn't to avoid dredging up trauma, but because she was actually Miranda and was just trying to avoid talking about something she wasn't there for?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
My head canon is Miranda keeps Mia alive so she can interrogate her about dumb trivia about their lives so she can maintain cover. Just some 100+ year old abomination woman spending hours trying to learn every detail about the time they went to a Dave and Buster's for Ethan's birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Do you think in his last moments, Ethan realized that the reason Mia didn't want to talk about Louisiana wasn't to avoid dredging up trauma, but because she was actually Miranda and was just trying to avoid talking about something she wasn't there for?

I imagine he doesn't bring up Louisiana either, due to the massive confusion he has in trying to reconcile his memories of saving Zoe with the current reality of Mia being present