Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm happy I was quoted a lot for the list.

Thanks for all the hardwork LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Looten Plunder posted:

Wonder if people will look back at this with the same glasses that we view the Netflix Marvel properties in a few years

I reckon it'll be harder for these to age badly because a) most of these shows are one and dones rather than ongoing series, b) they're an essential part of the MCU rather than a disconnected offshoot, and c) Feige's directly involved in production

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Looten Plunder posted:

Wonder if people will look back at this with the same glasses that we view the Netflix Marvel properties in a few years

If they gently caress them up, people will still like the stuff that was good, just with the caveat that they hosed it up again. Jessica Jones Season 1 is still an absolutely brilliant season of television, it's just that unfortunately it was followed up with a second season bad enough that I never bothered with the third.

And also, thanks for putting in all the work, Looten!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The first season of Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage still hold up well I would think. The problem is that they got worse in their later seasons

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Very glad my decision to leave Station Eleven off my list didn't damage its standing (I loved it, but it felt like a 2022 show to me so it'll be near the top of my list next year)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Great work, Looten! And echoing others, seeing everything here... 2021 really was a pretty solid TV year.

ShakeZula posted:

Very glad my decision to leave Station Eleven off my list didn't damage its standing (I loved it, but it felt like a 2022 show to me so it'll be near the top of my list next year)

It's definitely going to be on my 2022 list also, unless of course the next ten months give us so much extraordinary TV it gets crowded out. Which seems unlikely.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Out of the 130 listed shows, I've only seen 26.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Thank you Looten for your service. So many people benefit from this. My queue is stuffed with quality, as it is after every New Years SA TV poll.

Procrastination won again.. but here were my top ten of 2021. Might have changed a few results.

res dogs
Station 11
Wanda
For all mankind
taskmaster
succession
Witcher
Wheel of time
Yellowjackets

And probably a few from these I didn't get to watch but am sure are deserving:
dopesick, blindspotting, lupin, what we do in the shadows, hawkeye, cobra Kai, chucky

Ted Lasso just not quite good enough to Crack 10. Ditto Loki, resident alien, white lotus, 9 perfect strangers. Solid TV year! Thank you everyone for your thoughtful posts.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Thanks for putting this together, it was a lot of fun to be a part of!

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Late thanks from me also, Looten!

It's always a highlight to follow the countdown to the top and the extra effort with the quotes and pictures for the top shows are always a treat.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Whoa! Nice work on this. Really cool.

Also....now that I've watched 'For All Mankind'.....this would have definitely been VERY high on my list. My god is this show good. And while I too like Ted Lasso.....'For All Mankind' is the best show on Apple TV+.

Edit.....I think I probably would have had it number one on my list. Should have gotten around to watching it earlier. Tough to do these lists when there is so much that I haven't seen.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 5, 2022

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

Episode 7 of The Bear was loving superb god drat

I posted in the series binge thread that episode 7 was the best episode of TV in 2022 so far. It was intense chaos captured perfectly.

You could easily watch The Bear episode 7 as a stand alone episode and completely enjoy it.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 2, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nate fisher posted:

I posted in the series binge thread that episode 7 was the best episode of TV in 2022 so far. It was intense chaos captured perfectly.

You could easily watch The Bear episode 7 as a stand alone episode and completely enjoy it.

hmm

It's a late entry to the competition, but I'll second it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Open Source Idiom posted:

hmm

It's a late entry to the competition, but I'll second it.

Jesus I posted in the wrong thread and I have no idea how given it is a quote.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Looten Plunder posted:

3. If you want to list more than ten shows go for it but I'll only count your top ten. If you want to list less than ten shows then go for that too but I won't count it at all. If you don't want to rank your picks then that's fine as well but again, I won't count it.
4. Don't be a dick about other people's choices. This is a positive thread to celebrate the best of TV, not a place for people to get lost in an argument over which genre show in its third season poo poo the bed worst. If you want to be critical then take it elsewhere.

This 10 rule has always been a bummer, and I don't see the point of it. You'd get a bigger sample size if you included people who have less than 10 shows from the year. Some people watch a mix of old and new shows etc, their fav five or whatever would still be cool to count. Other threads like the top games ones don't make you need ten to count.

It's one of those things that is just so pointlessly exclusionary. Being a positive thread, why not loosen it up there. Campaign for the 5 show limit for the next one.

I did partake in the recent decade one, that was fun. And thanks for the work on these threads.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 23, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s not a bad idea but you don’t have to phrase it like you’re trying to shame Looten for it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wouldn't not having the ten screw with the weighting?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wouldn't not having the ten screw with the weighting?

I would think so too. Also, it's simply part of the thread that you name ten shows, and write why you picked them. I don't see a need to go to some big trouble to mess with a format that works.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Heavy Metal posted:

Other threads like the top games ones don't make you need ten to count.

This is cause it's a lot more likely people won't have played 10 good video games than watched 10 good TV shows

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who posts in a forum dedicated to TV and can’t even watch 10 TV shows in one calendar year anyway

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Who posts in a forum dedicated to TV and can’t even watch 10 TV shows in one calendar year anyway

Depends whether they need to all be from the current year or not

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Not sure if it is more work than Looten wants to take on (they already do a ton just running this thing!), but one possibility would be any unranked list is considered the top entry is #10 and the bottom is #1 and if the person who posted disagrees with that ranking then they should have taken the time to rank it themselves :colbert:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rarity posted:

This is cause it's a lot more likely people won't have played 10 good video games than watched 10 good TV shows

I don't find that to be the case in my experience. Either way, it makes it easier to have something to contribute in that thread.

Plus as you know, the game thread even lets you vote for games from previous years, so it's even easier in several ways to have your vote count.

Even if somebody has seen 10 shows airing in a calender year, they might have less than that they really would like to vouch for. Either way, it's just a thing that would let more people contribute, and it'd be cool. It's gatekeeping to say oh who hasn't seen 10 airing this year TV shows. I sure haven't, and I watch lots of stuff.

As for the weighting, they work that out in other threads such as the game one. There are different ways to handle that.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 29, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s not gatekeeping, what on earth

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s not gatekeeping, what on earth

You watched 50 shows, I mention a reasonable idea of counting votes with less than 10 shows. You said who posts on a TV forum who can't yadda yadda, call it what you want, you're just hassling me for no reason here. You even said it's not a bad idea.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 29, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think it’s a terrible idea, but I also think you’re being pretty OTT about it on behalf of people who can’t watch ten television shows in a whole year yet still want to participate in a poll about TV from that year which is a subsection of people I can hardly imagine even existing, and think you perhaps don’t know what the term ‘gatekeeping’ actually means.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t think it’s a terrible idea,

Then maybe leave it at that.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

This 10 rule has always been a bummer, and I don't see the point of it. You'd get a bigger sample size if you included people who have less than 10 shows from the year. Some people watch a mix of old and new shows etc, their fav five or whatever would still be cool to count. Other threads like the top games ones don't make you need ten to count.

It's one of those things that is just so pointlessly exclusionary. Being a positive thread, why not loosen it up there. Campaign for the 5 show limit for the next one

Whilst I could easily just say "that's the way it was when I inherited it", I'm still gonna advocate for keeping it at 10 shows. For a few reasons:

• Its always been done that way. I don't like screwing with the integrity of the historical data.
  • As was said earlier, it's a low bar, especially for a bunch of people on an internet sub forum dedicated to watch TV.
  • I don't want to have deal with a bunch of people going. "I didn't watch much, but mine are 1. show A 2. show B.... daylight and show C" . Show C shouldn't be getting 7 points and I don't want to be doing scattered scoring with a bunch of gaps in between.
  • Call it elitist if you want, but if someones only watched 4 shows, I don't feel those 4 shows should hold the same weight as other lists. That hypothetical person's 4th best show is the worst show they watched this year. Meanwhile I'm here looking at my list and it takes until show number 45 before it's even getting to "I'm not too high on this show and wouldn't recommend it" territory.

If people want to not rank their shows or want to post some shows they liked to recommend to others then by all means, please do it, that's ultimately the point of the poll. But if there isn't 10, it just won't count on the official results.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

White Lotus Sicily is off to a nice start. It's a penis, not a sunset.

Also, dead bodies.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, FWIW, I also like that it occasionally pushes people to watch a few more shows over the course of a year. (Shows are so short these days anyway, a list of top ten shows often takes less time to get through than two or three games ngl).

I want to read Looten's top 45.

Ninurta posted:

White Lotus Sicily is off to a nice start. It's a penis, not a sunset.

Also, dead bodies.

Please post nine more shows for this list to count. :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry you guys are only allowed to say you agree or disagree otherwise you’re hurting their feelings or something idk

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Escobarbarian posted:

Sorry you guys are only allowed to say you agree or disagree otherwise you’re hurting their feelings or something idk

To anyone who is listening. Can you please probate Esco for a week. I beg you. He's relentlessly unkind and just insults people and says all this misguided personal stuff, while also not really wanting to talk to somebody. Because he didn't like my post, he's just treating me like I'm not a human being for weeks or whatever. Even though we've posted on here for years and whatnot. He's just flailing like some kind of troll machine that never stops. Why is this ok? I mean it'd be doing him a favor.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dude I just said that because of how you got so annoyed at the concept of a counter-argument in your last post to me. Like you just wanted me to agree with you and not have any other opinion. I usually think you’re a good poster but you’re being intensely weird in this thread, are you okay?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
At this point I think I have 20 shows on my list. I can probably easily cut 4-5 that are merely good. But the rest will be tough.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Easily 20+ and I'm going to feel awful about leaving a bunch outside of the Top 10.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Looten Plunder posted:

Whilst I could easily just say "that's the way it was when I inherited it", I'm still gonna advocate for keeping it at 10 shows. For a few reasons:

• Its always been done that way. I don't like screwing with the integrity of the historical data.
  • As was said earlier, it's a low bar, especially for a bunch of people on an internet sub forum dedicated to watch TV.
  • I don't want to have deal with a bunch of people going. "I didn't watch much, but mine are 1. show A 2. show B.... daylight and show C" . Show C shouldn't be getting 7 points and I don't want to be doing scattered scoring with a bunch of gaps in between.
  • Call it elitist if you want, but if someones only watched 4 shows, I don't feel those 4 shows should hold the same weight as other lists. That hypothetical person's 4th best show is the worst show they watched this year. Meanwhile I'm here looking at my list and it takes until show number 45 before it's even getting to "I'm not too high on this show and wouldn't recommend it" territory.

If people want to not rank their shows or want to post some shows they liked to recommend to others then by all means, please do it, that's ultimately the point of the poll. But if there isn't 10, it just won't count on the official results.

Just wanted to chime in and say that I always appreciate the work you do on this, and I keep a list throughout the year just for the purpose of contributing to your yearly thread, so keep rockin it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ishamael posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that I always appreciate the work you do on this, and I keep a list throughout the year just for the purpose of contributing to your yearly thread, so keep rockin it

:emptyquote:

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

poo poo. I need to start thinking about shows now.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

lmbo if you havent been honing and refining your list since the moment peacemaker ep1 released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If your list doesn't have 20+ shows on it, have you even watched tv this year?