Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

behold.

he's had this god damned thing for something like 30 years. what is going through his mind?

this man had taken his rat tail to space. he's sold portions of it to honest and sincere customers.

what can i do to learn this power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selan dyin

dude DEFINITELY fucks

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

It was given to him by his father, skylab astronaut owen garriott, and is the source of his power.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

matches his weird squiggle necklace

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

biosterous

it cost him his ability to do good smiles in posed photographs (but did not take his ability to good genuine smiles in candid photos so this doesn't seem too bad a price)

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
it's not an affectation if ur original. is he the first to do this?

I've never seen an organized rat tail before myself. he might be cool

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

fps_nug

horsing around no longer
his smile is cute I dont know anything about him

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Business in the front, business rat in the back

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Finger Prince

I bet it's a clip on or a weave.

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Finger Prince posted:

I bet it's a clip on or a weave.

Nah it's legit, the guy has had it forever. Doesn't stop him from being dubious for other reasons though, like referring to himself as "Lord British" (from the Ultima series of games he developed) and the trashfire that was Shroud of the Avatar

Areola Grande

Dr. Honked posted:

Business in the front, business rat in the back

lol

Percy Teatwillow

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young

NumptyScrub posted:

Nah it's legit, the guy has had it forever. Doesn't stop him from being dubious for other reasons though, like referring to himself as "Lord British" (from the Ultima series of games he developed) and the trashfire that was Shroud of the Avatar

lol i thought the name sounded familiar. dude got taken out in his own video game

https://www.cbr.com/ultima-online-lord-british-assassination/

CBR posted:

Lord British was a player character created by Richard Garriott, the producer of Ultima Online. Using this character, Richard acted as Ultima’s King and would sometimes interact with other players. Lord British had considerable protection from an entourage of bodyguards and was even explicitly coded to be invulnerable to virtually any attack. During the game’s online beta test, Lord British gave an address to fellow players at his Castle Britannia. But while British was giving his address, a player character known as Rainz cast a spell scroll that set the Lord on fire, killing him instantly.

It turns out that shortly before this event, the server had crashed and needed to be restarted. Garriott forgot to reimplement his invulnerability flag, leaving him open to being killed. If that wasn’t shocking enough for the attendees, a fellow developer of the game known as Starr Long, with his in-game character Lord Blackthorn, summoned a horde of demons to kill the assassin. Not only did the assassin manage to escape, but the demons had killed nearly every player attending the address.

THANK U Heather Papps !!

Gluehead posted:

i met snow at a restaurant once and i was like 'man, informer is a really good song!' and he just looked up from the bowl of french onion soup he was eating, mouthed the words 'gently caress off' and then he gave me the finger twice with boths hands, then crossed the two fingers to make a cross and aimed it at me
Ass-penny

Percy Teatwillow posted:

lol i thought the name sounded familiar. dude got taken out in his own video game

https://www.cbr.com/ultima-online-lord-british-assassination/

Lmfao

FutonForensic

daddy would you like some sausage. daddy would you like some saus-a-ges

Finger Prince

NumptyScrub posted:

Yeah back in the day it was legit, but I bet now he just gets it woven in these days to keep up the image, like a hairpiece. Probably goes to some unassuming African American hair salon to get it done, where he's known as that weird white dude with the rat tail. You know the guy, sometimes wears a crown, big tipper, talks with like, a German accent or something.

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah back in the day it was legit, but I bet now he just gets it woven in these days to keep up the image, like a hairpiece. Probably goes to some unassuming African American hair salon to get it done, where he's known as that weird white dude with the rat tail. You know the guy, sometimes wears a crown, big tipper, talks with like, a German accent or something.

Lol I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but tbh it would not surprise me at all if it was a weave now

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
I was just watching a video about magic (the conjuring of cheap tricks kind) and he shows up

What a heckin twit

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

wet hoodie sleeves

oh no
I remember him being immediately murdered when he made his big entrance in Ultima Online lol

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

It's like that thing in the movie avatar and he uses it to ride horses and have sex

Finger Prince

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

It's like that thing in the movie avatar and he uses it to ride horses and have sex

That is not an image I wanted in my head. No thank you.

Heather Papps

hello friend

speculation: the rat tail smells of nutmeg

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Finger Prince

Heather Papps posted:

speculation: the rat tail smells of nutsmeg

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Honestly, there's nothing to speculate about. It's all right there in the photos

Heather Papps

hello friend

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Honestly, there's nothing to speculate about. It's all right there in the photos

i just realized i didn't include some vital parts of one of these photos

and the whole dang thing:

i have no context for this photo and can only guess as to what the gently caress this man is doing

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Areola Grande

Heather Papps posted:

i just realized i didn't include some vital parts of one of these photos

lmao :wtc:

Betty Wight

Doesn’t he have like an actual castle with secret passages and whatnot?

Anyways the ultima series was good and probably ahead of it’s time. I’d kill for a remake of ascension.

Ugly In The Morning

Betty Wight posted:

Doesn’t he have like an actual castle with secret passages and whatnot?

Anyways the ultima series was good and probably ahead of it’s time. I’d kill for a remake of ascension.

would you do it by making crappy poison bread Ultima IX style tho?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

sb hermit

Ultima 7 and Ultima 7p2 are legit very good games and could probably stand on their own because the writing is top notch. All the previous ultimas were products of their time and reflect the limitations of the platforms and the budgets they were on, but the virtues system from 4-6 was not a bad idea.

Ultima Online started as a libertarian shitshow. You could "corp por" anyone trying to make a buck and steal their gear (that took weeks to make). It wasn't until much later when they decided to just make explicit PvE and PvP servers, which solved that issue. Because otherwise, if you just want to kill monsters and not lose all your stuff all the time, the only solution was to just not have good gear at all. Ultima Online appeared after Ultima 8, but before 9.

Ultima 8 did away with the party system that had existed since 3, in favor of a gameplay style that is more dynamic and action oriented. This included the inclusion of some incredibly bad jumping segments (ultima did not have jumping until then) and a tedious melee combat system. It wasn't until a "click here to jump precisely to this spot" patch that the game became much more playable. It was widely panned until ultima 9. Also, it was a real pain to get working, since it forbid the use of himem.sys and typically required its own boot disk or a custom config.sys menu option.

Ultima 9 had the dubious distinction of being one of the last games to use the glide api (which was only on 3dfx cards, and the predecessor to modern 3D graphics APIs on gaming platforms). It also had a troubled development because fans expected great things, but this game would be on a brand new 3D engine which was still relatively new tech for an established developer to work on, and was going to include lots of cool stuff.

Kinda depressing, since Origin was previously known for incredibly good and beloved franchises. Now, its most well known producers are more known for incredible flops than anything to be proud of. Garriott worked on Tabula Rasa before giving up and just giving his name to Shroud (I dunno if he actually did any creative work on it). And Chris Roberts is more known for Star Citizen than Wing Commander (or Freelancer).

Betty Wight

sb hermit posted:

Ultima 7 and Ultima 7p2 are legit very good games and could probably stand on their own because the writing is top notch. All the previous ultimas were products of their time and reflect the limitations of the platforms and the budgets they were on, but the virtues system from 4-6 was not a bad idea.

Ultima Online started as a libertarian shitshow. You could "corp por" anyone trying to make a buck and steal their gear (that took weeks to make). It wasn't until much later when they decided to just make explicit PvE and PvP servers, which solved that issue. Because otherwise, if you just want to kill monsters and not lose all your stuff all the time, the only solution was to just not have good gear at all. Ultima Online appeared after Ultima 8, but before 9.

Ultima 8 did away with the party system that had existed since 3, in favor of a gameplay style that is more dynamic and action oriented. This included the inclusion of some incredibly bad jumping segments (ultima did not have jumping until then) and a tedious melee combat system. It wasn't until a "click here to jump precisely to this spot" patch that the game became much more playable. It was widely panned until ultima 9. Also, it was a real pain to get working, since it forbid the use of himem.sys and typically required its own boot disk or a custom config.sys menu option.

Ultima 9 had the dubious distinction of being one of the last games to use the glide api (which was only on 3dfx cards, and the predecessor to modern 3D graphics APIs on gaming platforms). It also had a troubled development because fans expected great things, but this game would be on a brand new 3D engine which was still relatively new tech for an established developer to work on, and was going to include lots of cool stuff.

Kinda depressing, since Origin was previously known for incredibly good and beloved franchises. Now, its most well known producers are more known for incredible flops than anything to be proud of. Garriott worked on Tabula Rasa before giving up and just giving his name to Shroud (I dunno if he actually did any creative work on it). And Chris Roberts is more known for Star Citizen than Wing Commander (or Freelancer).

Was voodoo a 3dfx card? I feel like that’s why I remember ascension being so smooth.

deep dish peat moss

Tonight I rung in the new year by playing Ultima Online with my brother, a game Richard Garriot made in 1997 and the certified greatest game of all time. We were hunting dragons together in a dungeon - me as a Grandmaster Wrestler and him as a Grandmaster Mage. My cat suddenly jumped up and ran from his chair, there was some commotion and I stopped paying attention to the game for a second, and in that moment I heard a familiar sound. A voice that yells "Oooauh!" when you die in Richard Garriot's 1997 masterpiece, Ultima Online. I had been killed because I ran into a pack of several dragons at once and forgot to bandage myself. I glanced at the clock and realized that the cause for my cat's commotion was fireworks. It was 12:01AM on January 1st, 2022. I rung in the new year by getting killed in a videogame made by Richard Garriot a literal quarter-century ago.

Then I recalled to my poverty shack of a caravan wagon that I bought without realizing every single one of my neighbors was a murderer and I began mining, but I was murdered by a PK roleplaying as an orc who was unpleased with my tribute of shiny stones.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 1, 2022

deep dish peat moss

All so this man could go only 90% of the way to space! Richarrrrd!

Ugly In The Morning
did you ever play Ultima: Savage empire or Ultima Underworld? I remember those were both on the disc that came with the CD drive my parents installed on the old IBM in like 1993.

----------------

Ugly In The Morning
dungeon crawlers I think. gently caress now I also want to play shadowcaster, which is a game I’m only 75 percent sure I didn’t confabulate.

----------------

sb hermit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

did you ever play Ultima: Savage empire or Ultima Underworld? I remember those were both on the disc that came with the CD drive my parents installed on the old IBM in like 1993.

I played savage empire and got pretty far. I got stuck on one of the tasks because I was not blowing a sleep dart at a t-rex *just right*.

I didn't play underworld but I heard it was really good.

deep dish peat moss

I made a fortune speculating on Richard Garriot futures. Infact we used to call him Richer Garriott because we all got richer!

Finger Prince

deep dish peat moss posted:

I made a fortune speculating on Richard Garriot futures. Infact we used to call him Richer Garriott because we all got richer!

We still said Garriott though, because it already stood for "Great rear end, Righteous Rump, InOrdinately Tight Tush"

deep dish peat moss

Ultima 7 was the best overall game in the series. Ultima 8 was my favorite, probably because it was a singleplayer primordial ultima online. I also played a lot of Ultima 6 because of the cheat where you could talk to Iolo and say Spam Spam Spam Humbug to open the secret cheat menu. My brother really liked Ultima 9 but I didn't play it. Lately I've been reliving my childhood playing x-com but maybe I will revisit Ultima games next

sb hermit

deep dish peat moss posted:

Ultima 7 was the best overall game in the series. Ultima 8 was my favorite, probably because it was a singleplayer primordial ultima online. I also played a lot of Ultima 6 because of the cheat where you could talk to Iolo and say Spam Spam Spam Humbug to open the secret cheat menu. My brother really liked Ultima 9 but I didn't play it. Lately I've been reliving my childhood playing x-com but maybe I will revisit Ultima games next

Ultima 8's jumping puzzles and repetitive combat were definitely negatives for me, but the writing was good and it was a bold move from party based combat and exploration to this new narrative where your (supposedly virtuous) actions cause tectonic shifts in a society seemingly ill equipped to deal with said changes. and then you leave the shattered land to its own devices as you escape back to Britannia, by way of Texas. Or something. Ultima 9 is wild

sb hermit

Betty Wight posted:

Was voodoo a 3dfx card? I feel like that’s why I remember ascension being so smooth.

Yes! The Voodoo and Voodoo 2 were pass-through VGA cards, so you plugged your video card output to the voodoo card input, then plug your monitor into the voodoo card output.

Having a dedicated 3D card in the 90s (and very early 00s) showed that you were a serious gamer, willing to shell out serious dough for a primo gaming experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
normal

at the date

working/studying

at home