Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

We never had drills, but the year after Columbine, a week before junior high graduation, my buddy wrote a girl a note where he claimed to have an automatic shotgun. Her sister read it, ended up with him being expelled right before graduation and his parents made him smash his copy of Goldeneye 64 lol

In high school another friend got expelled when the school did a vehicle search. She was driving her dad's car and he kept shotgun shells in the glove box like a proper hillbilly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

just give the children bomb defusal suits

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Bomb defusal suits covered in bombs on the outside

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I’m from Kansas so we just did Tornado drills. Like, A LOT of Tornado drills.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!
Two or three months ago my preschooler came home and started reciting what to do, “if a bad guy comes in her school,” followed a few days later by a lot of questions about, “bad guys,” and generally trying to figure out how to spot and avoid, “bad guys.”

Barely four years old and being told that, because she’s, “a leader,” she has a duty to the other kids to help them all make it to and into the closets.

Breaks my loving heart to know that stuff is on her mind now and then.

drat, this thread is depressing as hell.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Discernibly Turgid posted:

drat, this thread is depressing as hell.

quick edit:

I love that The Onion posts this after every big school shooting. I have to say "big" now because a ton fly under the radar.

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/963923505174728704

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
I graduated in 2012 and it seems like that was on the cusp of school shootings being a thing that happened a handful of times to just being the tragedy of the week. My mom started teaching in the school system just as I was graduating from HS so it was interesting to see the transition to bulletproof poo poo all over the place. For a while they had the entrances to schools super locked down, the school she worked at (and the elementary school I went to as a kid) very quickly threw up a bulletproof shield with buzzer doors, poo poo like that. Remember thinking that surely my generation would be one of the last to have schools that felt so much like prisons but it looks like they just doubled down on that

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

I graduated in 2012 and it seems like that was on the cusp of school shootings being a thing that happened a handful of times to just being the tragedy of the week. My mom started teaching in the school system just as I was graduating from HS so it was interesting to see the transition to bulletproof poo poo all over the place. For a while they had the entrances to schools super locked down, the school she worked at (and the elementary school I went to as a kid) very quickly threw up a bulletproof shield with buzzer doors, poo poo like that. Remember thinking that surely my generation would be one of the last to have schools that felt so much like prisons but it looks like they just doubled down on that

That's just awful. I remember in maybe 2000 we had to start wearing IDs around our necks at all times and I was super pissed off about that. Glad I didn't need a bulletproof backpack.

This country is so hosed up. And I say this as a gun owner and avid enthusiast. Unlike other gun people, if I had to give up some of my guns so that no child got murdered again... I'd do it in a heart beat.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I graduated high school in 2007. We had something like them in my high school, but called something different. These were just lockdown drills, the idea being that they'd play a sound over the PA system and teachers/students would be expected to lockdown whatever room they were in and hunker down ASAP. We actually had to use it "for real" once but it didn't turn out to be a shooter. Just some guy who was stalking a football player at our school(some super notable 5 Star football prospect who later played in the NFL) and he freaked someone out enough they did a lockdown while the cops showed up and arrested him.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This country is so hosed up. And I say this as a gun owner and avid enthusiast. Unlike other gun people, if I had to give up some of my guns so that no child got murdered again... I'd do it in a heart beat.

Would you give up all of your guns tho? I'm sure that was the vibe you meant but the word of "some of my guns" is like a red flag to any non American I feel.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

syntaxfunction posted:

Would you give up all of your guns tho? I'm sure that was the vibe you meant but the word of "some of my guns" is like a red flag to any non American I feel.

I'm just assuming they'd only take the automatic and scary looking stuff. If I had to give them all up, I'd probably end up doing it.... albeit reluctantly. If I knew that no school shootings would ever happen again.

Almost every country has some legal guns.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I'm just assuming they'd only take the automatic and scary looking stuff. If I had to give them all up, I'd probably end up doing it.... albeit reluctantly. If I knew that no school shootings would ever happen again.

Yeah I get that. It's just scary wording honestly haha. The idea of gun control like other countries seems to terrify way too many people in the USA. What do you mean I can't have fully automatic rifles and semi automatic handguns for no reason?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

syntaxfunction posted:

Yeah I get that. It's just scary wording honestly haha. The idea of gun control like other countries seems to terrify way too many people in the USA. What do you mean I can't have fully automatic rifles and semi automatic handguns for no reason?

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

I have zero recollection of lockdown drills when I went to school in the US, which was every year except for preschool, second grade, and third grade. I graduated high school in 2010.

I went to an international school in Bahrain from second to third grade and there were a lot of bomb threats on our school. A lot. Like, a lot.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I graduated high school before Columbine occurred, so I never experienced drills or the dread of school shootings. However, in 1995, my high school had a “riot” (i.e. a bunch of random people were fist-fighting throughout campus), and the police department got a chub and unleashed its swat team showing up in full riot gear armed with assault rifles, helicopters, and I think even a riot control vehicle. The fuckin’ place looked like the ending of The Blues Brothers at Chicago city hall.

School was let out early that day, and I had to call my mother to come get me because I didn’t have a car yet. It was certainly unnerving being led off campus single file with militaristic police officers holding assault rifles on each side of you as your mother watches from the car.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

That's just awful. I remember in maybe 2000 we had to start wearing IDs around our necks at all times and I was super pissed off about that. Glad I didn't need a bulletproof backpack.

Unlike the other posters, I would give up your mom for the guarantee no child ever gets murdered!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My sisters' friends called in a lot of bomb threats to their small town high school in the early to mid 90's, but no one took it seriously. Like to the point the school secretary responded with, "Cory, I know that's you." I don't know if they ever even got a half day.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Sophy Wackles posted:

Columbine was 1999 so probably some schools did drills after that.

We did a shooter drill directly after Columbine. It was real stupid, like we all left the school like it was a fire drill, no lock-down, just GTFO, except instead of milling around outside we all walked to another school yard about 10 min away.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think we had one of those in shop class :dumb:

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Graduated from High School in 2009 and we never had them. However, the majority black school across town had metal detectors and transparent backpacks mandated, which we did not for some strange reason.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

quick edit:

I love that The Onion posts this after every big school shooting. I have to say "big" now because a ton fly under the radar.

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/963923505174728704

No but you see statistically active shooters represent just a minority percentage and furthermore faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

-All of TFR

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
^^^ TFR did a big chud purge over the past few years and is surprisingly liberal.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Unlike the other posters, I would give up your mom for the guarantee no child ever gets murdered!

That's a big sacrifice. :)

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 24, 2021

Vakal
May 11, 2008

We absolutely are doing something! Haven't you heard the push to arm all teachers with guns?

For every bad student with a gun you have a good teacher with a gun.

Duh. Solves that problem.

Moron.

Nah, just install metal floors in all the schools and make every student wear magnetic boots like in Face Off.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I am intrigued by the multiple times you have waffled over doing something for a literally impossible guarantee, and painting it as a positive. I guess it’s honest at least, but it doesn’t make you any better than other gun owners as you imply.

Would you give up any guns if it statistically reduced the chance of a child being murdered?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I prefer the Running Man method of placing an explosive in the heads of students so if someone acts up you can just explode their head.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i prefer a more civilized method of prisoner student management

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
just think of all the people out of jobs if we stop these school shootings

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I had them in highschool in 2003-2005 but they were just veiled cover for the local PD to come through with the drug sniffing dogs and randomly toss kid's lockers. And I was in an all-white upper middle class suburban school district.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Arven posted:

I had them in highschool in 2003-2005 but they were just veiled cover for the local PD to come through with the drug sniffing dogs and randomly toss kid's lockers. And I was in an all-white upper middle class suburban school district.

Lol that’s where the good drugs are, fyi.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i graduated not long after columbine, so thankfully i never had to deal with any of the fallout from it. we had a couple of instances of "<insert date here> everybody dies!!!" written on a wall. i'm sure it wasn't a coincidence that it always happened during the spring when the weather was getting nice. the never cancelled school on those days, but they had the building filled with cops and told everyone that being absent wouldn't be counted against you, so all of the older kids just took the day off. my brother, who was a few years behind me, didn't really have to deal with any bullshit either, but they were always floating some dumb idea about requiring transparent backpacks or just banning backpacks altogether. none of this ever happened, probably because they realized that the logistics of it would never work.

e: a couple of years after my brother graudated, they did have an incident where a kid brought a gun, put a couple of rounds into the ceiling and threatened to kill himself until the principal and a teacher talked him down

Arven posted:

they did this too, but they didn't disguise it as a shooter/bomb threat. they just told everyone that nobody is to leave the class rooms for the next 10 minutes and ran around the building with drug dogs

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 24, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

they were definitely already a thing when I was in HS 99-03

the code phrase for the intercom was "The Vanity Fair representative has entered the building" I guess they thought none of us were attractive enough to get roped into the child modeling abuse pipeline

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 24, 2021

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
We never had active shooter drills at my HS even when we had an actual active shooter (a teachers ex BF shot her in the parking lot one morning.) I graduated in 02 and our district aggressively never gave a gently caress what happened to our school though. The shooting they had was just before Columbine, I wasn't there that day but they just had everyone go out and stand in the football field in the open for hours. After Columbine we had a bunch of bomb threats and we'd just go stand in the field for it every time which really sucked. I wonder when someone finally said that wasn't a good idea. Oh yeah my HS was a rival school to Marjorie Stoneman Douglas (they were the rich school that kicked our asses in every sport) and is likely going to be shutdown because all the money budgeted to do mold remediation and poo poo is going to rebuild MSD and pay lawsuits. I do remember the school cop got to carry a gun after Columbine and he was always really happy about that.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i can assure you, as a citizen of one of the most heavily armed nations on earth that has only had a few school shootings in its entire existence, it's not the guns that are the problem

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i can assure you, as a citizen of one of the most heavily armed nations on earth that has only had a few school shootings in its entire existence, it's not the guns that are the problem

It's those darn Nintendos. :mad:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Is it the ethno-cultural diversity?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Guns do play a HUGE part but this truly is a uniquely American thing. There are other factors involved. Although being able to buy an AR-15 in 30 minutes or as we've seen lately, have your dumb loving parents just buy you one, isn't helping.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Active shooter drills is where you educate future active shooters on where all the kids will be hiding so you can get the maximum body count.

Yeah, I don't get this, Chappelle did a good bit about it.

Also, if there is a shooter how many kids follow the drill and not just get the gently caress out of dodge.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

The USA is used to having a jackboot on its prone head with the most important issues like healthcare and labor rights so when there's something legally acculturated into being the shunt for the people's anger a huge number of people hold onto their entrenched system for dear life.

Checks and balances eroded to the degree that there will never be an incentive to fix them. The lieutenant governor of Texas was on TV in loving March 2020 saying "grandma has to be sacrificed or our economy will die instead", it's not much of a leap to extrapolate that enough people are conditioned to see things as either guns or gulags since that is the predominant polemic rhetoric

An ex prepared active shooter drills for a daycare for kids under 10, I can't imagine parents paying thousands a month knowing or not knowing their baby was protected by an enforced 39 hr minimum wage "part timer" felt any better about it than he did.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

sigher posted:

Yeah, I don't get this, Chappelle did a good bit about it.

Also, if there is a shooter how many kids follow the drill and not just get the gently caress out of dodge.

We were told we were more likely to get shot running. Nobody wanted to be the person that got everyone in the room killed because they opened the door/climbed out the window and drew attention to themselves, etc.

Also you never see any of these shooters with a crowbar, it would be too heavy for their noodle arms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cubone posted:

we definitely did them when I was in high school (graduated in 2006)

I remember because whatever committee was in charge of establishing the drill procedure decided that the announcement should be coded, so that the shooter wouldn't know that we knew he was on campus
and then they never established what the code would actually be

they just put out the vague idea that it would have the word "lock" or a word related to locks in it, like "mr. keyes, please come to the front office"
hm yep nothing that could go wrong with that plan

and my friends and I thought it was really funny to pretend the code phrase was "mr. locklear LOCK YOUR DOORS THERE IS A MURDERER ON CAMPUS!"

When I was in high school in the early 2000s there were several times when we all got marched outside because of a bomb threat. An announcement would come on over the intercom and they used a super secret code for the teachers that no one would figure out. They would say "Code B".

For some reason this only ever happened when the weather was nice.

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

We were told we were more likely to get shot running. Nobody wanted to be the person that got everyone in the room killed because they opened the door/climbed out the window and drew attention to themselves, etc.

Also you never see any of these shooters with a crowbar, it would be too heavy for their noodle arms

Can't they just shoot the gently caress out of the door knob or is that a thing that only works in movies?