Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sophy Wackles posted:

Columbine was 1999 so probably some schools did drills after that.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I remember having some in maybe 2000-2001

Pookum posted:

I was at this active shooter drill that was super realistic, I got hired on to take part through a fema crisis actor craigslist post, it was in upstate connecticut.

Don't let fox news or chuds know about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I went to a very rural high school 2005-2009 and I’d say 1 out of every 5 kids had a shotgun/rifle in the back of their car during deer season, so active shooter drills were never really a thing.

See?!!!! Guns keep people safe!!!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We absolutely are doing something! Haven't you heard the push to arm all teachers with guns?

For every bad student with a gun you have a good teacher with a gun.

Duh. Solves that problem.

Moron.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Discernibly Turgid posted:

drat, this thread is depressing as hell.

quick edit:

I love that The Onion posts this after every big school shooting. I have to say "big" now because a ton fly under the radar.

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/963923505174728704

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

I graduated in 2012 and it seems like that was on the cusp of school shootings being a thing that happened a handful of times to just being the tragedy of the week. My mom started teaching in the school system just as I was graduating from HS so it was interesting to see the transition to bulletproof poo poo all over the place. For a while they had the entrances to schools super locked down, the school she worked at (and the elementary school I went to as a kid) very quickly threw up a bulletproof shield with buzzer doors, poo poo like that. Remember thinking that surely my generation would be one of the last to have schools that felt so much like prisons but it looks like they just doubled down on that

That's just awful. I remember in maybe 2000 we had to start wearing IDs around our necks at all times and I was super pissed off about that. Glad I didn't need a bulletproof backpack.

This country is so hosed up. And I say this as a gun owner and avid enthusiast. Unlike other gun people, if I had to give up some of my guns so that no child got murdered again... I'd do it in a heart beat.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

syntaxfunction posted:

Would you give up all of your guns tho? I'm sure that was the vibe you meant but the word of "some of my guns" is like a red flag to any non American I feel.

I'm just assuming they'd only take the automatic and scary looking stuff. If I had to give them all up, I'd probably end up doing it.... albeit reluctantly. If I knew that no school shootings would ever happen again.

Almost every country has some legal guns.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

syntaxfunction posted:

Yeah I get that. It's just scary wording honestly haha. The idea of gun control like other countries seems to terrify way too many people in the USA. What do you mean I can't have fully automatic rifles and semi automatic handguns for no reason?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
^^^ TFR did a big chud purge over the past few years and is surprisingly liberal.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Unlike the other posters, I would give up your mom for the guarantee no child ever gets murdered!

That's a big sacrifice. :)

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 24, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I prefer the Running Man method of placing an explosive in the heads of students so if someone acts up you can just explode their head.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i can assure you, as a citizen of one of the most heavily armed nations on earth that has only had a few school shootings in its entire existence, it's not the guns that are the problem

It's those darn Nintendos. :mad:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Guns do play a HUGE part but this truly is a uniquely American thing. There are other factors involved. Although being able to buy an AR-15 in 30 minutes or as we've seen lately, have your dumb loving parents just buy you one, isn't helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HolHorsejob posted:

So the authors of this article assert that 10% of american adults are balls-to-the-wall, full-on blotto alcoholics

Have you been to Wisconsin?