Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I don't know anything about it, but it seems like it emphasizes flexibility and cooperation and eschews any hard dogmas that degenerate into either deranged idealism (Buddhism) or deranged materialism (American Protestantism).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I assume you made a typo and meant Deism it's pretty okay

Gotta respect the great cockmaker

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Dhalsim can do the yoga fire move if you do down, down-forward, forward, punch on the controller.

It's very strange because I've never seen anyone breathe fire at yoga. It's mostly sort of fat mums and hippies at the yoga that I've been to.

What do you think, OP?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Alucard posted:

Gotta respect the great cockmaker

That's Dickism

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Raku posted:

That's Dickism

I think you're thinking of Dejism

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Dhalsim sucks. Yoga's not a real fighting style - also the baby skull necklace is suspect.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
No sorry the one true religion was eliminated like 10,000 years ago during a period of tribal warfare in what is today Ghana.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Don't ask what your religion can do for you, ask what you can do for your religion

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I read the Tao Te Ching and it was alright but there was a lot of "mind your place peasant" in it

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Yes. Happy Christmas!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Nigmaetcetera posted:

No sorry the one true religion was eliminated like 10,000 years ago during a period of tribal warfare in what is today Ghana.

If god weren't dead, it would be necessary for man to kill him.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

A CRAB IRL posted:

Dhalsim can do the yoga fire move if you do down, down-forward, forward, punch on the controller.

It's very strange because I've never seen anyone breathe fire at yoga. It's mostly sort of fat mums and hippies at the yoga that I've been to.

What do you think, OP?

you gotta go to hot yoga classes thats where the action is

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I like Buddsim over Daosim, but not as much as Microsoft Flightsim

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Taoism helped me find the inner peace to accept the gifts the wheels of the universe spin round to offer me in their own time, as opposed to living a life in desperate pursuit of things I didn't realize I never actually needed. And I'll shank any motherfucker what says different.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The dao that can be explained is not the right religion

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mormonism is the right religion OP.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

A CRAB IRL posted:

What do you think, OP?

Dhalsim reached into my rear end with his long stretch arm and managed to save me tons on a colonoscopy

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

phasmid posted:

If god weren't dead, it would be necessary for man to kill him.

Most men who want to kill God either want to become the new god or will force society to continue to live by regressive social norms even after God is dead because they actually agree with God's laws, they just want to be the ones in charge. This is because man is made in God's image and is nothing more but an extension of his will.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I am God please don't kill me.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I want to kill God, but only because I want Jodie Foster to notice me.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

ikanreed posted:

You're saying I shouldn't live my life based off this movie?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is it objectively right? Eh probably not. Is it right for you? Sure, that's fine. Dao it up dude :frogc00l:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alucard posted:

You're saying I shouldn't live my life based off this movie?

Looks like someone photoshopped his head to be like 5% smaller.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

muscles like this! posted:

Looks like someone photoshopped his head to be like 5% smaller.

It's a movie about a guy turning to religion to help him come to terms with his freakish proportions.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Mormonism is the right religion OP.

Nice South Park joke. Epic win my man.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
listen, we're gonna hunt down, dethrone and kill god. gonna flush him outta these woods like a raccoon, ride him down and put his skull in the mud. mighty good pelt i'm led to believe

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Yaldabaoth posted:

Most men who want to kill God either want to become the new god or will force society to continue to live by regressive social norms even after God is dead because they actually agree with God's laws, they just want to be the ones in charge. This is because man is made in God's image and is nothing more but an extension of his will.

I repent me that I ever made man, thought the Devil.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I once met this elderly taoist-mountain-wizard/organic herb farmer and he seemed pretty happy and had his life figured out. You could definitely do worse things with your life than living by taoist principles.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

porfiria posted:

I don't know anything about it, but it seems like it emphasizes flexibility and cooperation and eschews any hard dogmas that degenerate into either deranged idealism (Buddhism) or deranged materialism (American Protestantism).

mahayana buddhism and taoism have so thoroughly influenced each other and comingled along with confucianism for 2000 years that its p difficult to separate the two. im impressed that you can while not being able to spell it and also admitting you know nothing about it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Daoism is what Seis Manos is all about, and that show involves awesome animated fights like so:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is that the one that lets tou stretch your arms and legs out way far to punch and kick people for comaratively low damage as a tradeoff to your long range?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Taoism is pretty cool. In my first college level psychology class the doctor basically did the entire semester on Taoism and it played a part in opening my eyes to not-christianity. I'm mostly Buddhist now but as Big Fluffy Dog said, there is a lot of intermingling with taoism/buddhism/confucianism so I pick and choose what I feel is right.

ikanreed posted:

And if you've read the Tao Te Ching, this is very true.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Any religion where you spend most of your time thinking about metaphysics and arguing with others about why they’re wrong about things you can’t see and you’re right is the wrong one, OP. Anyone which makes you more patient and loving is the right one, OP.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Any religion where you spend most of your time thinking about metaphysics and arguing with others about why they’re wrong about things you can’t see and you’re right is the wrong one, OP. Anyone which makes you more patient and loving is the right one, OP.

:hmmyes:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The dao seems like it really is the way when you're branching out from organized religion and read a summary, especially when you're getting into the core that is oppositional to modern traditional angles (lol at that oxymoron but you know if you know) that try to turn the dao into magic. But when you dig into dao or mahayana Buddhism you're really just left with the dril tweet about there being nothing different between good and bad.

Surely there is a middle ground between moralistic mythical cosmology and actually caring is bad that isn't being a chain smoking french atheist.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There are lots of situations in your own life or in greater cosmos where you can't actually do jack poo poo and the only thing you can change is how you react to them and people posting weird manifestos about how it's just like telling peasants to know their place are being weird fedora wielding atheists of yesteryear :mmmhmm:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

listen, we're gonna hunt down, dethrone and kill god. gonna flush him outta these woods like a raccoon, ride him down and put his skull in the mud. mighty good pelt i'm led to believe

The Klingon approach to religion.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

zedprime posted:

The dao seems like it really is the way when you're branching out from organized religion and read a summary, especially when you're getting into the core that is oppositional to modern traditional angles (lol at that oxymoron but you know if you know) that try to turn the dao into magic. But when you dig into dao or mahayana Buddhism you're really just left with the dril tweet about there being nothing different between good and bad.

Surely there is a middle ground between moralistic mythical cosmology and actually caring is bad that isn't being a chain smoking french atheist.

Wisdom must be paired with compassion to produce anything useful. Wisdom without compassion is aloof nihilism, compassion without wisdom is useless idiocy that does more harm than good. Cease trying to understand the dharma through the rational mind, accept the world and the law as absurd, and act with unflinching and unthinking compassion toward all beings, even your enemies, and the way shall be made clear. Namaste.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
No fat chicks.

This is the word of the lord. Amen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

once the student asked the master:

tell me a word of zen

the master replied:

no fat chicks

the student asked:

tell me another

the master said:

slam whale holy grail

at this the student was enlightened