Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

phasmid posted:

If god weren't dead, it would be necessary for man to kill him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9ESphZkANc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
taoist master here op. The answer is yes it is the right religion but only if you learn via my 10 part course starting at only $2999.99

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Daoism is absolutely contained with the "Four Olds" and as such it must be destroyed. Anything else is counter-revolutionary, comrade.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

mahayana buddhism and taoism have so thoroughly influenced each other and comingled along with confucianism for 2000 years that its p difficult to separate the two. im impressed that you can while not being able to spell it and also admitting you know nothing about it.

I got an extremely high SAT score.

And obviously Marxism-Leninism is correct, but I'm curious if there's a religion that isn't "lol your brain is fake" and also isn't "lol kill everyone". I guess the strain of Buddhism that is "brain fake, so what" is pretty close.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Legalism is a form of Daoism and is one of the most hardcore expressions of "lol, kill everyone" out there. Up there with fascism.

Plus all the divination determining where you can live, what you do, who you can marry, etc. probably runs counter to the kind of liberation you are seeking. Drinking mercury to become immortal is also a big negative.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Pennywise the Frown posted:

No fat chicks.

This is the word of the lord. Amen.

What about : yes fat chicks

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

porfiria posted:

And obviously Marxism-Leninism is correct, but I'm curious if there's a religion that isn't "lol your brain is fake" and also isn't "lol kill everyone". I guess the strain of Buddhism that is "brain fake, so what" is pretty close.

You seem to be looking for a religion that tells you that god thinks all the same things you already do

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

zedprime posted:

Surely there is a middle ground between moralistic mythical cosmology and actually caring is bad that isn't being a chain smoking french atheist.

It's called being a cool and chill dude. You don't need any formalized belief structures or books or teachings to do it but if that helps that's cool too.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Taoism is bullshit because it was invented by an authoritarian east asian man who simply divided the tao up as "Everything I like is good and everything I hate is evil".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

porfiria posted:

I don't know anything about it, but it seems like it emphasizes flexibility and cooperation and eschews any hard dogmas that degenerate into either deranged idealism (Buddhism) or deranged materialism (American Protestantism).

Practice not-doing, and everything will fall into place

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Chad Jihad posted:

I read the Tao Te Ching and it was alright but there was a lot of "mind your place peasant" in it

What does it mean that success is a dangerous as failure?
Whether you go up the ladder or down it,
you position is shaky.
When you stand with your two feet on the ground,
you will always keep your balance

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Wu Tang is the way

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

phasmid posted:

If god weren't dead, it would be necessary for man to kill him.

The Tao is like a well:
used but never used up.
It is like the eternal void:
filled with infinite possibilities.

It is hidden but always present.
I don't know who gave birth to it.
It is older than God.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bogus Adventure posted:

Daoism is what Seis Manos is all about, and that show involves awesome animated fights like so:

:hmmyes:
Cook Ding was cutting up an ox for Lord Wenhui. As every touch of his hand, every heave of his shoulder, every move of his feet, every thrust of his knee — zip! zoop! He slithered the knife along with a zing, and all was in perfect rhythm, as though he were performing the dance of the Mulberry Grove or keeping time to the Jingshou music.

“Ah, this is marvelous!” said Lord Wenhui. “Imagine skill reaching such heights!”

Cook Ding laid down his knife and replied, “What I care about is the Way, which goes beyond skill. When I first began cutting up oxen, all I could see was the ox itself. After three years I no longer saw the whole ox. And now — now I go at it by spirit and don’t look with my eyes. Perception and understanding have come to a stop and spirit moves where it wants. I go along with the natural makeup, strike in the big hollows, guide the knife through the big openings, and following things as they are. So I never touch the smallest ligament or tendon, much less a main joint.

“A good cook changes his knife once a year — because he cuts. A mediocre cook changes his knife once a month — because he hacks. I’ve had this knife of mine for nineteen years and I’ve cut up thousands of oxen with it, and yet the blade is as good as though it had just come from the grindstone. There are spaces between the joints, and the blade of the knife has really no thickness. If you insert what has no thickness into such spaces, then there’s plenty of room — more than enough for the blade to play about it. That’s why after nineteen years the blade of my knife is still as good as when it first came from the grindstone.

“However, whenever I come to a complicated place, I size up the difficulties, tell myself to watch out and be careful, keep my eyes on what I’m doing, work very slowly, and move the knife with the greatest subtlety, until — flop! the whole thing comes apart like a clod of earth crumbling to the ground. I stand there holding the knife and look all around me, completely satisfied and reluctant to move on, and then I wipe off the knife and put it away.”

“Excellent!” said Lord Wenhui. “I have heard the words of Cook Ding and learned how to care for life!”

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

The dao seems like it really is the way when you're branching out from organized religion and read a summary, especially when you're getting into the core that is oppositional to modern traditional angles (lol at that oxymoron but you know if you know) that try to turn the dao into magic. But when you dig into dao or mahayana Buddhism you're really just left with the dril tweet about there being nothing different between good and bad.

Surely there is a middle ground between moralistic mythical cosmology and actually caring is bad that isn't being a chain smoking french atheist.

Look, and it can't be seen.
Listen, and it can't be heard.
Reach, and it can't be grasped

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Alucard posted:

I assume you made a typo and meant Deis nuts

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

porfiria posted:

modern science thinks your brain is fake so I donno what to tell you about materialism buddy :shrug:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_brain
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

Practice not-doing, and everything will fall into place

I tried this and now I'm homeless for defaulting on my mortgage

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Yeah that's not really modern science. They're neat ideas without any solid evidence behind them. Basically it's just people trying (and failing) to solve solipsism.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Don't you know your brain is just like a computer so stop illegal downloading and install gentoo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

I tried this and now I'm homeless for defaulting on my mortgage

:hmmyes:
The supreme good is like water,
which nourishes all things without trying to.
It is content with the low places that people disdain.
Thus it is like the Tao

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Who What Now posted:

It's called being a cool and chill dude. You don't need any formalized belief structures or books or teachings to do it but if that helps that's cool too.
The point is that being cool and chill yourself is attainable if a bit hard to do but manufacturing that for your friends or the world or even just being a good example is the challenge. It's the whole koan with the Buddha nature or wu wei where achieving the Buddha nature or perfect wu wei is logically a problem because to become disaffected from society is a selfish result in violation of the Buddha nature or wu wei but to concern yourself over your failure to enlighten society is also incredibly unBuddha or anti wu wei.

The goal is to obviously walk a middle path but it's a core problem with the just chill religions.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Goons are a perfect example of the Useless Tree.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

zedprime posted:

The point is that being cool and chill yourself is attainable if a bit hard to do but manufacturing that for your friends or the world or even just being a good example is the challenge. It's the whole koan with the Buddha nature or wu wei where achieving the Buddha nature or perfect wu wei is logically a problem because to become disaffected from society is a selfish result in violation of the Buddha nature or wu wei but to concern yourself over your failure to enlighten society is also incredibly unBuddha or anti wu wei.

The goal is to obviously walk a middle path but it's a core problem with the just chill religions.

That's why trying to make a single philosophy that encompasses all human experiences and needs is fruitless. Do what's right for the situation.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You seem to be looking for a religion that tells you that god thinks all the same things you already do

I just want one that doesn't fall into infinite regress or wacky solipsism...:gonk:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

porfiria posted:

I just want one that doesn't fall into infinite regress or wacky solipsism...:gonk:

pick the religion that has a temple closest to you, or the best food, or the hottest congregation. you can contemplate the nature of God within any religion and they will mostly just call you a nerd and roll their eyes

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Rutibex posted:

pick the religion that has a temple closest to you, or the best food, or the hottest congregation. you can contemplate the nature of God within any religion and they will mostly just call you a nerd and roll their eyes

Not true. Evangelicals loving love talking about the nature of god but they will have only read CS Lewis and it’s just saying gods really great and all-powerful over and over again but with weird language and jargon that you will never encounter outside their subculture.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

porfiria posted:

Have you tried starting your own

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

signalnoise posted:

Have you tried starting your own

https://dudeism.com/

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Not true. Evangelicals loving love talking about the nature of god but they will have only read CS Lewis and it’s just saying gods really great and all-powerful over and over again but with weird language and jargon that you will never encounter outside their subculture.

When Evangelicals say "God" they mean "Me."

quote:

You also need to think about how Evangelical and charismatic worship has formed people to be susceptible to events like this. We were taught that the way you feel after hearing a great sermon, or going to a football game when your team wins, or being at a CCM concert, was what it meant to be walking in tune with the Lord. That feeling of ecstasy was a confirmation of everything you believed. We were formed to seek those experiences out, and to think of them as self-validating. Nobody ever taught us to apply discernment, and certainly not how to be skeptical of strong feelings, because they could mislead us. This sets Christians up to believe anything that gives them that rush that comes from being part of something collective and ecstatic. It’s dangerous because if you have never been taught to distrust your feelings, in the sense of testing them against Scripture, and just being dispositionally aware that emotions can mislead you, you fall for anything that feels good.
Add to that a culture in which everybody does whatever they want to do, but prefaces it with “God told me.” You learn early on that you do whatever you want to do, and say, “God told me to do it.” One time I broke up with my boyfriend, and said God told me to do it. I argued with his mom, who said, ‘But God told ME y’all were going to get married!” It’s funny to think about today, but it wasn’t funny back then. All of us seriously believed God was talking to us all the time. Truth was, we were all doing whatever we wanted to do, and licensing it by saying we were following God’s lead. None of what you wrote about from the Jericho March surprises me one bit.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Who What Now posted:

That's why trying to make a single philosophy that encompasses all human experiences and needs is fruitless. Do what's right for the situation.

wow. amazing. do what's right! I never thought of that before! is there any more to this philosophy or is that it?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DeeplyConcerned posted:

wow. amazing. do what's right! I never thought of that before! is there any more to this philosophy or is that it?

I mean I could make up some cool poems to make it seem profound if you want.

Here I sit broken hearted
Tried to poo poo
But made a philosophy
same diff

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I've got an ethical system I try to stick to but pretty much every time I've explained it someone would come out of the woodwork to say it's impossible for it to be consistent.They'd always say subjectivist ethics are necessarily logically absurd, and it's always the only criticism they have

lol

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Being inconsistent isn't necessarily a bad thing tho

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Being inconsistent isn't necessarily a bad thing tho

It's not even inconsistent, they just refuse to accept that there is no such thing as an identical circumstance

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What is an "identical circumstance" in this context? Not trying to be snide I genuinely don't know what you mean by that.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The Western interpretation of Taoism where you just read Tao de Jing and try to be mellow is very weird because it has almost nothing to do with actual Chinese practices.

If you want to be Taoist you should do it the traditional fun way: completely soaked in religious mysticism. Brew alchemical potions, create talismans, use immortality magics, and build a temple. Attend a ghost festival and burn fake money so dead people can go shopping. Become an ordained priest, cultivate qi, and swear off bread. Communicate with plants and control the weather. Perform faith healing miracles and call on the Three Pure Ones for help. Recruit a doomsday cult army and try to overthrow the government.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The Western interpretation of Taoism where you just read Tao de Jing and try to be mellow is very weird because it has almost nothing to do with actual Chinese practices.

If you want to be Taoist you should do it the traditional fun way: completely soaked in religious mysticism. Brew alchemical potions, create talismans, use immortality magics, and build a temple. Attend a ghost festival and burn fake money so dead people can go shopping. Become an ordained priest, cultivate qi, and swear off bread. Communicate with plants and control the weather. Perform faith healing miracles and call on the Three Pure Ones for help. Recruit a doomsday cult army and try to overthrow the government.

none of the Taoist magic and alchemy books are translated to English :(

there is plenty of western content if you want to be a wizard. being a Chinese wizard feels like a bit much you know? :shrug:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Who What Now posted:

What is an "identical circumstance" in this context? Not trying to be snide I genuinely don't know what you mean by that.

An identical circumstance for the purposes of ethical decisions would be a circumstance that is identical to another circumstance in all ways that impact the ethical decision. From my perspective, that's a fantasy, but in my experience, people tend to rebut subjectivist ethical systems with a tired "that would mean it could be right/wrong for" and then usually they talk about punching people in the face. I dunno why it always goes back to face-punching, but that's usually the case they go with. Thing is, punching someone isn't a whole circumstance, it's just an action. If you go with "right for me to punch you, but wrong for you to punch me", maybe that's true. Those are different circumstances, with two different punchers, two different people getting punched, and I would assume two different reasons for being punched. You won't find two separate but identical circumstances, and in my opinion, if you're trying to figure out a system to guide you toward good actions, starting from the actions is dumb as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Well there's Mao-ism, Dao-ism, eating and chess.