Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

signalnoise posted:

An identical circumstance for the purposes of ethical decisions would be a circumstance that is identical to another circumstance in all ways that impact the ethical decision. From my perspective, that's a fantasy, but in my experience, people tend to rebut subjectivist ethical systems with a tired "that would mean it could be right/wrong for" and then usually they talk about punching people in the face. I dunno why it always goes back to face-punching, but that's usually the case they go with. Thing is, punching someone isn't a whole circumstance, it's just an action. If you go with "right for me to punch you, but wrong for you to punch me", maybe that's true. Those are different circumstances, with two different punchers, two different people getting punched, and I would assume two different reasons for being punched. You won't find two separate but identical circumstances, and in my opinion, if you're trying to figure out a system to guide you toward good actions, starting from the actions is dumb as hell

There was once a farmer in ancient China who owned a horse. “You are so lucky!” his neighbours told him, “to have a horse to pull the cart for you!” “Maybe,” the farmer replied.

One day he didn’t latch the gate properly and the horse ran off. “Oh no! What a disaster!” his neighbours cried. “Such terrible misfortune!” “Maybe,” the farmer replied.

A few days later the horse returned, bringing with it six wild horses. “How fantastic! You are so lucky,” his neighbours told him. “Now you are rich!” “Maybe,” the farmer replied.

The following week the farmer’s son was breaking-in one of the wild horses when it kicked out and broke his leg. “Oh no!” the neighbours cried, “such bad luck, all over again!” “Maybe,” the farmer replied.

The next day soldiers came and took away all the young men to fight in the war. The farmer’s son was left behind. “You are so lucky!” his neighbours cried. “Maybe,” the farmer replied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Rutibex posted:

There was once a farmer in ancient China who owned a horse. “You are so lucky!” his neighbours told him, “to have a horse to pull the cart for you!” “Maybe,” the farmer replied.

One day he didn’t latch the gate properly and the horse ran off. “Oh no! What a disaster!” his neighbours cried. “Such terrible misfortune!” “Maybe,” the farmer replied.

A few days later the horse returned, bringing with it six wild horses. “How fantastic! You are so lucky,” his neighbours told him. “Now you are rich!” “Maybe,” the farmer replied.

The following week the farmer’s son was breaking-in one of the wild horses when it kicked out and broke his leg. “Oh no!” the neighbours cried, “such bad luck, all over again!” “Maybe,” the farmer replied.

The next day soldiers came and took away all the young men to fight in the war. The farmer’s son was left behind. “You are so lucky!” his neighbours cried. “Maybe,” the farmer replied.

That farmer's name?

Al Bundy

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

porfiria posted:

When Evangelicals say "God" they mean "Me."

This is how you get people who base their sense of morality purely on their amygdala's hardwired reaction to specific stimuli. Those thoughts and feelings feel like the correct things to think and feel to them, so they must be correct.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The Western interpretation of Taoism where you just read Tao de Jing and try to be mellow is very weird because it has almost nothing to do with actual Chinese practices.

If you want to be Taoist you should do it the traditional fun way: completely soaked in religious mysticism. Brew alchemical potions, create talismans, use immortality magics, and build a temple. Attend a ghost festival and burn fake money so dead people can go shopping. Become an ordained priest, cultivate qi, and swear off bread. Communicate with plants and control the weather. Perform faith healing miracles and call on the Three Pure Ones for help. Recruit a doomsday cult army and try to overthrow the government.
"Just chill," I say as I concentrate to forge a star of pure qi deep in the cauldron of my viscera. "Take it real easy," I mention as I enscribe magnifying bagua in the geomantic focii surrounding my house to perfectly balance the dao and ensure prosperity and power.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

BrigadierSensible posted:

Well there's Mao-ism, Dao-ism, eating and chess.

I was TAing for an intro philosophy class and so many students' autocorrect changed Mohism/Moism to Maoism. I'm not gonna be a dick and mark down for that, especially because Maoism was beyond the scope of the class, but it did always make me laugh.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The Western interpretation of Taoism where you just read Tao de Jing and try to be mellow is very weird because it has almost nothing to do with actual Chinese practices.

If you want to be Taoist you should do it the traditional fun way: completely soaked in religious mysticism. Brew alchemical potions, create talismans, use immortality magics, and build a temple. Attend a ghost festival and burn fake money so dead people can go shopping. Become an ordained priest, cultivate qi, and swear off bread. Communicate with plants and control the weather. Perform faith healing miracles and call on the Three Pure Ones for help. Recruit a doomsday cult army and try to overthrow the government.

This sounds rad as hell. Sign me up!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

signalnoise posted:

That farmer's name?

Al Bundy

Someone start a religion of the Tao of Al Bundy. I'll be an apostle.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

What did the neighbors say when the horse obliterated the farmer's skull because the horse thought it saw a firefly and kicked randomly out of fear?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

What did the neighbors say when the horse obliterated the farmer's skull because the horse thought it saw a firefly and kicked randomly out of fear?

fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Is there a religion that helps you do the Hamon martial art?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Not true. Evangelicals loving love talking about the nature of god but they will have only read CS Lewis and it’s just saying gods really great and all-powerful over and over again but with weird language and jargon that you will never encounter outside their subculture.

C.S. Lewis would have hated what American evangelicalism now is. Partially because he would find it a morally abhorrent form of Christianity but probably more because it is American.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Who What Now posted:

Poor Freckles, thought about mandatory military conscription and died.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill

lame

Xenocides posted:

Poor Freckles, thought about mandatory military conscription and died.

LMAO

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i like the cs Lewis story where a bus from hell goes on a tour of heaven but all the sinners end up going back willingly because the hell was within themselves the whole time

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This sounds rad as hell. Sign me up!

I like the stories around daruma dolls, these things here

Basically, Bodhidharma shows up at the shaolin monastery and gets kicked out, so he goes to live in a nearby cave and does 9 years of meditation staring at a wall of the cave. After 7 years of staring at a wall, he fell asleep, so he cut off his eyelids to stop it from happening again. The first tea trees sprouted from his eyelids, so it's sorta like he's the zen god of caffeine.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Someone start a religion of the Tao of Al Bundy. I'll be an apostle.

Al is a good role model:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

signalnoise posted:

I like the stories around daruma dolls, these things here

Basically, Bodhidharma shows up at the shaolin monastery and gets kicked out, so he goes to live in a nearby cave and does 9 years of meditation staring at a wall of the cave. After 7 years of staring at a wall, he fell asleep, so he cut off his eyelids to stop it from happening again. The first tea trees sprouted from his eyelids, so it's sorta like he's the zen god of caffeine.

That's pretty hardcore.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Bogus Adventure posted:

Al is a good role model:

NO MAAM were proto incels though.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Rutibex posted:

i like the cs Lewis story where a bus from hell goes on a tour of heaven but all the sinners end up going back willingly because the hell was within themselves the whole time

A great general approached a zen master and asked:

"You tell people about heaven and hell all the time, but have you ever seen them? How do you have such confidence they exist to preach to others about them? What exactly does hell even look like? What does heaven?

The monk replied:

"What right do you have to ask me about heaven and hell or anything religious when you spend all your time waging war and murdering innocents? How could someone whose life is spent mindlessly killing ever grasp the dharma?"

The general was enraged by this and drew his sword to strike the monk down for his insolence but when his sword reached its highest point the monk said calmly:

"That is hell."

The general realized the monk's point and sheathed his sword.

"That is heaven."

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I think "Daosim" is just how "Dhalsim" is pronounced by the announcer guy in Metal Slug

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Taoism isn't really a religion

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Read:

- The Art of War
- The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying (NOT to be confused with The Tibetan Book of the Dead)
- Zen Flesh Zen Bones
- Anything by Thích Nhất Hạnh

Don't commit yourself to Buddhism if you appreciate plumbing. I like toilets so I wouldn't really call myself a true blue Buddhist (Blueddhist?) but incorporating mindfulness and a sense of metaphysical gratitude into your life is a good decision.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

signalnoise posted:

An identical circumstance for the purposes of ethical decisions would be a circumstance that is identical to another circumstance in all ways that impact the ethical decision. From my perspective, that's a fantasy, but in my experience, people tend to rebut subjectivist ethical systems with a tired "that would mean it could be right/wrong for" and then usually they talk about punching people in the face. I dunno why it always goes back to face-punching, but that's usually the case they go with. Thing is, punching someone isn't a whole circumstance, it's just an action. If you go with "right for me to punch you, but wrong for you to punch me", maybe that's true. Those are different circumstances, with two different punchers, two different people getting punched, and I would assume two different reasons for being punched. You won't find two separate but identical circumstances, and in my opinion, if you're trying to figure out a system to guide you toward good actions, starting from the actions is dumb as hell

Shut the gently caress up and get a job

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

mkvltra posted:

Not really. At no point are you encouraged to worship the Tao, or that it is an entity that needs propitiating. You can be in harmony with it, or not, but there aren't divine punishments or rewards waiting in an afterlife.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

A great general approached a zen master and asked:

"You tell people about heaven and hell all the time, but have you ever seen them? How do you have such confidence they exist to preach to others about them? What exactly does hell even look like? What does heaven?

The monk replied:

"What right do you have to ask me about heaven and hell or anything religious when you spend all your time waging war and murdering innocents? How could someone whose life is spent mindlessly killing ever grasp the dharma?"

The general was enraged by this and drew his sword to strike the monk down for his insolence but when his sword reached its highest point the monk said calmly:

"That is hell."

The general realized the monk's point and sheathed his sword.

"That is heaven."

Goddamn did nobody in the past ever hear of a character arc? Jeez!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's the same dang thing every time

"Excuse me Mr. Monk but mayhaps bad?"

"No, bad is bad."

"I am enraged that bad is bad!"

"Being enraged is bad, and not good."

"Ah, so I will be good and not bad."

"That is good."

Sub in metaphors about war and crops or whatever as appropriate

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Like would it kill you to add in a dang suit of power armor to spice it up for once????????

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mkvltra posted:

Do your work, then step back.
The only path to serenity

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

mkvltra posted:

Read:

- The Art of War
- The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying (NOT to be confused with The Tibetan Book of the Dead)
- Zen Flesh Zen Bones
- Anything by Thích Nhất Hạnh

Don't commit yourself to Buddhism if you appreciate plumbing. I like toilets so I wouldn't really call myself a true blue Buddhist (Blueddhist?) but incorporating mindfulness and a sense of metaphysical gratitude into your life is a good decision.

Unless you really want to go full White Horse Academy (and is a white horse really a horse?) then don't include School of Numbers garbage and foreign poo poo.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cosmik Slop posted:

Not really. At no point are you encouraged to worship the Tao, or that it is an entity that needs propitiating. You can be in harmony with it, or not, but there aren't divine punishments or rewards waiting in an afterlife.
The dao being boring metaphysics is also why the popular dao is about wizards min maxing the dao.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

The dao being boring metaphysics is also why the popular dao is about wizards min maxing the dao.

The tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao :shrug:

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

mkvltra posted:

This is a really tricky statement. It's either "titanium oxide" white or "Of course spirits are real and control almost everything about my day-to-day actions. I'm a self-identified atheist and also a Chinese hayseed". I don't care for either, but I'm going to engage with them very differently . . .

LOL, JK. Given the WG, it's 100% titanium oxide white

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

mkvltra posted:

lol no

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
I read The Tao of Pooh when I was like 11 and it was a pretty good time, so yes, I think you're at least on to something.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The right religion is Quakerism. It’s only nominally Christian at this point, and is about the most chill, inclusive bunch of nerds you could hope to meet through religion.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Those alien dudes who run around naked in the forest are probably ok unless they're all nonces

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Who What Now posted:

"Oh man, sucks to be him" his neighbors cried. "Maybe," the farmer's ghost replied.

But then a taoist immortal wandered by, whipped up a potion, and poured it down the corpse's throat. Not only was the farmer restored to life but he also gained a 9 inch dong. "God drat, that guy has all the luck!" his neighbors said. "Maybe," the farmer replied.

That weekend his neighbors all ran up to the farmer's house. "Hahaha, you poor fool! Your wife was in the alleyway behind the teahouse, giving some dude a blowjob! You've got a 9 inch dong but you're still being cuckolded. How tragic!" they laughed. "Maybe," the farmer replied.

That night the farmer's wife came home very late. "Husband," she said, "I have a confession. I gave pleasure to the Emperor himself, behind the teahouse in the village. He gave me this bag of gold, and a certificate for our son to join the imperial bureaucracy. We can buy a better house, hire servants, and our son is set for life! Isn't all that worth a quick blowie?" "Maybe," the farmer replied.

After another year of this poo poo, the farmer's poorest and least notable neighbor Cao Dung came to pay a visit. Cao Dung didn't have any horses, only a half-lame ox. Cao Dung didn't have a son, only an daughter who was super ugly, and his wife had been dead for 10 years. The ancient scholars are silent about the size of his dong, but it's a safe guess that it was very average. But today he had bought 2 jugs of cheap baijiu.

Cao Dung opened one of the jugs of baijiu and drank some. "It doesn't seem fair. Some people say you're the unluckiest man on earth, but every time something terrible happens to you something great happens as well. But everyone pays attention to you. Do they ever come to my house to gawk at my lovely life? No!" Cao Dung poured himself more baijiu. "I'm just Cao Dung the simple poor ox-herd. There's no drama so they don't care. But is your life really any worse than mine?" he complained. "Maybe," the farmer replied.

Cao Dung looked at the farmer and understood then that he was looking at a cursed soul trapped in hell, unable to ever feel true happiness or grief. He departed the farmer's house, leaving the second jug of baijiu behind. He went back to his poor house and his ugly daughter and his ox, enlightened.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Snowy posted:

The right religion is Quakerism. It’s only nominally Christian at this point, and is about the most chill, inclusive bunch of nerds you could hope to meet through religion.

two quaker presidents: nixon and hoover. what religion has a worse batting average for leaders?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Vitruvian Manic posted:

then don't include School of Numbers garbage and foreign poo poo.

"Don't let it be diluted by foreign poo poo!™" lmao

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I stopped reading after the guy came back. Too convoluted. Try again.