Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

two quaker presidents: nixon and hoover. what religion has a worse batting average for leaders?

Being born into Quaker families doesn’t really count for anything if they don’t share the same beliefs at all. I can’t imagine the US ever electing a practicing Quaker.

Some more on Nixon’s relationship with Quakerism: https://www.friendsjournal.org/book/nixons-first-cover-up-the-religious-life-of-a-quaker-president/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

mkvltra posted:

Read:

- The Art of War
- The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying (NOT to be confused with The Tibetan Book of the Dead)
- Zen Flesh Zen Bones
- Anything by Thích Nhất Hạnh

Don't commit yourself to Buddhism if you appreciate plumbing. I like toilets so I wouldn't really call myself a true blue Buddhist (Blueddhist?) but incorporating mindfulness and a sense of metaphysical gratitude into your life is a good decision.

I like Buddhism because one time in another country due to some wacky misunderstandings I got mistaken for a buddhist pilgrim and didn't realize that's why everyone was so nice to me or why I was getting hotel discounts so I decided to actually do some of the pilgrimage for real and was trying to be healthier so I avoided this fried chicken wrap this one place was offering. However I was about 4 miles down the road, it was pouring and I was really regretting not getting that fried chicken wrap, when a car pulled over and people offered the exact wrap I was thinking about to me. I like to think that was a sign of Buddha being chill with my accidental fraud.

I'm well aware that Buddha was a vegetarian but he's clearly not a dick about it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

When asked if this was a good thread, the farmer said "Maybe."

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

Who What Now posted:

It's called being a cool and chill dude. You don't need any formalized belief structures or books or teachings to do it but if that helps that's cool too.

This is ten times more bs than religion. Strong kombucha vibes.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm well aware that Buddha was a vegetarian but he's clearly not a dick about it.

only in mahayana traditions. in theravadin traditions he died from eating some bad pork.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
You know what? Just give any religion that doesn't discriminate based on race and gender a look. A proper religion shouldn't care about temporary physical traits.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Scientology is pretty good I hear, not a single genocide

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's actually Hermeticism OP, that's the correct one. Ol thrice great got it all figured out.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Oolb posted:

This is ten times more bs than religion. Strong kombucha vibes.

I didn't think that would get near as much pushback as it did. Y'all need to chillax

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

Scientology is pretty good I hear, not a single genocide

obviously you have not heard about galactic emperor xenu

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
A tao monk came across a farmer ( who happened to be wearing power armor).

The farmer asked the tao monk if he knew the nature of heresy in the eyes of the Emporer.

"Maybe" was the Tao monks replies.

And then he and the farmer were devoured by the leviathan swarm.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Who What Now posted:

I didn't think that would get near as much pushback as it did. Y'all need to chillax

Well stop it with your radical ideas of treating people with respect and showing compassion without needing an all powerful god to tell you to do so.

Psycho.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Well stop it with your radical ideas of treating people with respect and showing compassion without needing an all powerful god to tell you to do so.

Psycho.

If there's an all powerful god in charge of everything then morality boils down to obeying his laws regardless of how awful they are. It's basically a cosmic game of Mother May I where the "winners" are the people who never violate the laws and even then the god still determines what prize the winners actually get.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yaldabaoth posted:

If there's an all powerful god in charge of everything then morality boils down to obeying his laws regardless of how awful they are. It's basically a cosmic game of Mother May I where the "winners" are the people who never violate the laws and even then the god still determines what prize the winners actually get.

So republicans are doing pretty well with their god then.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So republicans are doing pretty well with their god then.

To many Republicans the only real difference between God and the devil is that God is the bigger bully who will beat up the devil at the Last Day. So pick the right side. The side with POWER! That way God will help you crush and bully all the other people you hate.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Xenocides posted:

To many Republicans the only real difference between God and the devil is that God is the bigger bully who will beat up the devil at the Last Day. So pick the right side. The side with POWER! That way God will help you crush and bully all the other people you hate.

God is good because he hates the same people the republicans do and those people are obviously evil because they make the republicans feel uncomfortable, so it's ok to enslave and exterminate them.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The daoist encyclopedia Essential Secrets of the Most High 無上秘要 implies some temples burned censers of cannabis or hemp. Hotboxing the entire priesthood of your temple is the way of the dao. The encyclopedia used to have 100 volumes but only 69 are known to have survived.

Later the Quanzhen Daoists labeled intoxication as one of the Four Hindrances. Very boring guys. Sometimes the old ways are best.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

Who What Now posted:

Look, all I've known is that every single person I've known whose moral strategy is what you recommend has been thoroughly UNCHILL and UNKIND. I mean gently caress, you come in here sayin Be Cool Man, Be Cool and then poo poo all over schools of thought thought of for THOUSANDS of years?? UNCHILL. UNKIND. UNCOOL. You think of your worldview as so unassailable that any affront to it is simply the result of the person being a rude rear end in a top hat! You are dishonest about your dogmatism! AND IT MAKES ME SICK

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Oolb posted:

Look, all I've known is that every single person I've known whose moral strategy is what you recommend has been thoroughly UNCHILL and UNKIND. I mean gently caress, you come in here sayin Be Cool Man, Be Cool and then poo poo all over schools of thought thought of for THOUSANDS of years?? UNCHILL. UNKIND. UNCOOL. You think of your worldview as so unassailable that any affront to it is simply the result of the person being a rude rear end in a top hat! You are dishonest about your dogmatism! AND IT MAKES ME SICK

you need whatever religion tells you not to put words in all caps for emphasis.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
says BIG FLUFFY DOG

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Sounds like Y'all need JESUS.

That's right, Just Enable Super-User Status.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Oolb posted:

:chillpill:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Sounds like you need the Tao.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Rudoism is the best religion. The only rule is “Thou shalt eat the bootyhole”

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They talk about dogma but where is all the catma??

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Colonel Cancer posted:

Today, many modern Pagans still pay tribute to Bast or Bastet. If you’d like to honor Bast in your rituals and celebrations, try some of these ideas:

-Create an altar in Bast’s name, and decorate it with images of cats and lions, baskets, brightly colored crystals or gemstones, and sistrums or rattles.
-Offer a prayer to Bast or Bastet, in the form of a song or chant. Since dancing was a way in which she was celebrated, add some dancing as you sing her praises.
-Replace common words you use with mew or meow.
-If you’re trying to conceive a child, or if you’re pregnant and want her to watch over you, make offerings to Bast. Honey or other sweet foods such as chocolate are an appropriate choice, as is raw meat or milk, dead birds or rodents, or even handcrafted cat statues or perfumed ointments.

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 29, 2021

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Colonel Cancer posted:

My religion is all about the sugma

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

do you have a few minutes to hear the good news about ligma?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

X JAKK posted:

Today, many modern Pagans still pay tribute to Bast or Bastet. If you’d like to honor Bast in your rituals and celebrations, try some of these ideas:

-Create an altar in Bast’s name, and decorate it with images of cats and lions, baskets, brightly colored crystals or gemstones, and sistrums or rattles.
-Offer a prayer to Bast or Bastet, in the form of a song or chant. Since dancing was a way in which she was celebrated, add some dancing as you sing her praises.
-Replace common words you use with mew or meow.
-If you’re trying to conceive a child, or if you’re pregnant and want her to watch over you, make offerings to Bast. Honey or other sweet foods such as chocolate are an appropriate choice, as is raw meat or milk, dead birds or rodents, or even handcrafted cat statues or perfumed ointments.

Isn't there a story about her where she was going to destroy the world and the only way the other gods could stop her was to get her drunk until she calmed down?

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Yaldabaoth posted:

Isn't there a story about her where she was going to destroy the world and the only way the other gods could stop her was to get her drunk until she calmed down?

That's usually Sekhmet. Re was pissed that people weren't being properly respectful like they were in the old days and she was going to rid him of those troublesome priests.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Vitruvian Manic posted:

That's usually Sekhmet. Re was pissed that people weren't being properly respectful like they were in the old days and she was going to rid him of those troublesome priests.

My mistake. I do remember that the goddess was going to destroy the world by reducing it to a scorched desert. Maybe we're experiencing global warming now because she finally sobered up after 1000s of years.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

you know who’s a good god to have in your corner? Bes, protector of households and general defender of good things:

quote:

Normally Egyptian gods were shown in profile, but instead Bes appeared in full face portrait, ithyphallic, and sometimes in a soldier's tunic, so as to appear ready to launch an attack on any approaching evil. ... Since he drove off evil, Bes also came to symbolize the good things in life – music, dance, and sexual pleasure. In the New Kingdom, tattoos of Bes could be found on the thighs of dancers, musicians and servant girls.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

poverty goat posted:

do you have a few minutes to hear the good news about ligma?

i sure do. t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Yaldabaoth posted:

My mistake. I do remember that the goddess was going to destroy the world by reducing it to a scorched desert. Maybe we're experiencing global warming now because she finally sobered up after 1000s of years.

Easy to get them confused, they are both cats.