Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
So i missed the live launch, decided to watch it after the fact.

Saw this rocket:

And went wait a minute.. that looks like the rocket you see when you enter Gothenburg, Sweden (i am a swede), something i did yesterday when i went home to spend Christmas with my folks. It has been there for years now, at least 5 years.

"RUAG SPACE takes Gothenburg into space" is what it says

I google RUAG Space Webb telescope and

Neat!

VERY Neat!

https://www.ruag.com/en/news/ruag-space-technology-helped-successfully-launch-webb-space

This was cool to wake up to lemme tell ya fellas :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://www.webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html
4.30% of the way there and counting :)

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

NASA’s poo poo always lasts way longer than planned, I bet this thing is still operational after 10 years somehow, which will be cool

poo poo, we’re still getting signals from Voyager 1 and 2 over 40 years after their launch. That blows my mind every time I think about it because they’re entering interstellar space, having already left our own solar system.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

I’m extra glad it didn’t blow up on launch because you know how much of a smug bastard musk would be and they should have used spacex or whatever

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

poo poo, we’re still getting signals from Voyager 1 and 2 over 40 years after their launch. That blows my mind every time I think about it because they’re entering interstellar space, having already left our own solar system.

everyone forgets but we almost missed out on everything hubble ever saw because NASA put it in orbit with a bad lens

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
did it work

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Was coming here to post this link, super cool!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

NASA’s poo poo always lasts way longer than planned, I bet this thing is still operational after 10 years somehow, which will be cool
*looks at smoking debris bits of space shuttles*

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nobody ever stops to consider: What we find out from this instrument we can never un-know. The knowledge could, and in all likelihood will, drive humanity over the brink and into unhinged madness. Not a soul will be spared from the maelstrom.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 25, 2021

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Nobody ever stops to consider: What we find out from this instrument we can never un-know. The knowledge could, and in all likelihood will, drive humanity over the brink and into unhinged madness. Not a soul will be spared from the maelstrom.

we all stopped to consider this actually. you're the only one who hasn't. it's fine, take your time, considering isn't a race.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Oh no. That's so different from life as we know it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Binch I unknow more things you know every friday

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

the maelstrom of galactic goatse?!

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

Klyith posted:

https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/about/faqs/faqLite.html

The fuel part is so uncertain because
1) The place they're putting it is unstable and very hard to simulate, so long-term predictions of how much fuel it needs over time are difficult.
2) Different things that the JWST could be taking pictures of will change how quickly it uses fuel. Every new thing it points at represents a tiny amount of fuel used. Nearby things like exoplanets or proto-stars or whatever are faster pictures to take, while looking at the farthest oldest stars is a really long exposure. If we end up taking more pics of close stuff it'll use up the fuel faster, but we still get the same total number of pictures.

I believe they added a docking ring so in theory they could refuel it, it would just be very complicated and expensive to do so.

IMHO given the thing cost 10 billion it would be worth considering, assuming it doesn't suffer too much damage out there, but I'm no rocket surgeon.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
You know, if the US can flush 3 trillion down the stock market and it end up in the pockets of Bezos, Musk and Co. why is there gnashing over a 10 billion telescope project? We can fix it or refuel it. Throw money at it, we clearly can make the money machine go brrrrrr. Spend it in bitcoin, some dumbos will take it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

numberoneposter posted:

*looks at smoking debris bits of space shuttles*

They really don't like teachers and built a machine for it

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

$10B just to find out we're in a marble like men in black

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im gonna pretend im driving

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Gatts posted:

You know, if the US can flush 3 trillion down the stock market and it end up in the pockets of Bezos, Musk and Co. why is there gnashing over a 10 billion telescope project? We can fix it or refuel it. Throw money at it, we clearly can make the money machine go brrrrrr. Spend it in bitcoin, some dumbos will take it.

because making something that lasts robs future business titans of their opportunity to profit on future launches.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

That Dang Lizard posted:

I believe they added a docking ring so in theory they could refuel it, it would just be very complicated and expensive to do so.

IMHO given the thing cost 10 billion it would be worth considering, assuming it doesn't suffer too much damage out there, but I'm no rocket surgeon.

They were going to at one point, but apparently quietly dropped the idea. There's no docking ring anywhere on the photos of doing launch integration. According to Famous Goon Scott Manley, it would probably be a bad idea anyways, because without the shuttle manipulator arm doing any manned service mission would just be pretty impossible. The sunshade material is unbelievably delicate.

OTOH that doesn't mean a refuel is impossible: various companies have been working on mini-satellites that can "refuel" another one by attaching like a limpet, and move the big one around that way. Northrup Grumman has done this twice now. They don't even need a docking ring, it just does some robot :a2m: and shoves a clamp into the target sat's main engine.

So I think that if a JWST extension were to happen it would go like that. A new, moderately inexpensive robot that flies out and attaches to JWST, and NASA sends up new software to make the two work together.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

i for one welcome oblivion

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

"Ground teams began receiving telemetry data from Webb about five minutes after launch. The Arianespace Ariane 5 rocket performed as expected, separating from the observatory 27 minutes into the flight. The observatory was released at an altitude of approximately 75 miles (120 kilometers). Approximately 30 minutes after launch, Webb unfolded its solar array, and mission managers confirmed that the solar array was providing power to the observatory. After solar array deployment, mission operators will establish a communications link with the observatory via the Malindi ground station in Kenya, and ground control at the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore will send the first commands to the spacecraft."

Wait the observatory is in space too? What the hell, that's awesome

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Obviously by maelstrom I meant “giant cosmic gaped butthole.”

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Wasn't Cassinni or Pioneer working like.... 2 decades or something past their mission date?

edit:

You Are A Elf posted:

Yeah that.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 25, 2021

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Pretty sure all the probes they’ve sent out have lasted longer than planned. The mars rovers, Hubble itself. They definitely seem to get the most bang for the buck

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
The last launch I managed to catch live was the Cygnus Antares Orbiter-3 back in 2014. I stumbled across it on BBC moments before liftoff and called a coworker into the break room to watch with me. I pumped my fists, jokingly haranguing it to explode.

Moments off of the platform, it did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL5eddt-iAo

That coworker that I called into the break room to watch with me never looked at me the same way again, and that's how I learned to be more careful with what I wish for.

I'm pretty happy JWST made it. I was watching with fingers crossed.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pretty sure all the probes they’ve sent out have lasted longer than planned. The mars rovers, Hubble itself. They definitely seem to get the most bang for the buck
And the Mars rovers kept working several years past their planned mission. Like dragging a broken wheel for years and still sending back info on the new rock it studied or whatever.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
New Horizons, launched in 2006, is still operational and should be into the 2030s. That's the one that flew by Arrokoth, the snowman-shaped object in the kuiper belt.

They've been looking for something else it could fly by but space is the most aptly named thing in history.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

ProperCoochie posted:

New Horizons, launched in 2006, is still operational and should be into the 2030s. That's the one that flew by Arrokoth, the snowman-shaped object in the kuiper belt.

They've been looking for something else it could fly by but space is the most aptly named thing in history.

Cool satellites and rovers are basically the embodiment of "Well, let's gently caress around and find out" and that extremely owns.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/NASAWebb/status/1476194840018890756?s=20

hey I kinda called it, which is awesome news. still a month left and a bunch of poo poo can still go wrong, but good news here

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cool!!
I'm (sorta) unsurprised by that, imo it behooves NASA to consistently claim "Uh yeah this thing's gonna catch on fire probably" so then when it doesn't they can be like, "Ta-DA!"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

Cool!!
I'm (sorta) unsurprised by that, imo it behooves NASA to consistently claim "Uh yeah this thing's gonna catch on fire probably" so then when it doesn't they can be like, "Ta-DA!"

That's why they are the smartest government agency.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
how do i shot webb? very accurately, it turns out!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Big Beef City posted:

Cool!!

It's more they define a minimum mission that will make everything worth it and then way WAY over-engineer for that mission. Most of the over-engineering is because you only have one shot at it so you want to be absolutely sure that it's built as robust as possible. As an added bonus yeah you get to throw in a TA-DA! if things mostly go as planned

So to use this scenario as an example. They knew the various things that could go wrong with the launch, with their trajectory, and who knows how many other things and knew how much fuel it would cost to correct for any of those scenarios. They also had to consider that they still had the expected mission to account for so that extra fuel was ON TOP of having enough for the mission. When the launch goes smoothly then hey look at that! A bunch of fuel we didn't have to consume just to get us to the mission zone!

The cynical take is that they're doing this on purpose just for getting positive press but the reality is this is just what good engineering looks like

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Came to post that NASA blog post.

Mozi posted:

how do i shot webb? very accurately, it turns out!

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Lmao @ the eggheads at Nasa sending up huge rear end Hubble telescope without even snapping a few test shots first on Earth to make sure it's working right

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeiQEG450gc

Really cool video from yesterday that relays everything about the mission that is easy to understand. One thing I learned is one side of the telescope will be hot enough to boil water. The opposite side is cold enough to freeze air!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mooey Cow posted:

Lmao @ the eggheads at Nasa sending up huge rear end Hubble telescope without even snapping a few test shots first on Earth to make sure it's working right

obviously they did that with all the hubble predecessors that were pointed toward earth

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
What if some script kiddie uses aohell to punt NASA off the controls and then points the mirrors at earth? I bet it could be a cool death ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
so this thing might actually work. a few days ago it stretched out its huge 5-layer sunshield without a hitch, and just this morning completed moving all the segmented mirror parts into place. I think the majority of the hard parts are over.