Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

You Are A Elf posted:

Those galaxies are 500 million light years away and we are seeing them as if they’re just around the corner :aaaaa:

And as they were 500 million years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Captain Invictus posted:

we are so utterly hosed

gently caress, he lives!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ProperCoochie posted:

I've been hesitant to bump this thread because I didn't want to get peoples' hopes up BUT DAT NEW poo poo JUST DROPPED

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/webb-captures-stellar-gymnastics-in-the-cartwheel-galaxy

That's a melanoma, op. You should have that checked out by a doctor asap

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

these are baller as hell

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

:pcgaming:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

GABA ghoul posted:

That's a melanoma, op. You should have that checked out by a doctor asap

That’s what they used to call me. Old Melanoma Head.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Death is Certain

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i can't believe dasharez0ne is out there

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bump

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Spicy planet

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I miss the high-key announcements :smith: This is still cool though.

https://twitter.com/NASAWebb/status/1565353100160176128

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

:neckbeard:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

YeahTubaMike posted:

Just stunning. And NASA is going to build a space station orbiting the Moon a few years down the line. I'm so glad we're doing such cool and important space stuff again.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

How are u posted:

Just stunning. And NASA is going to build a space station orbiting the Moon a few years down the line. I'm so glad we're doing such cool and important space stuff again.

A lot of people don’t realize a new space race is upon us. China set the table, and NASA and co are trying to catch up (they might surpass, they might not! Time will tell)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah china is catching up pretty quick. their rocketry is still pretty rudimentary and based on western tech (and they still show no signs of rocket reuse), but they've been ticking some boxes lately like "space station" and "martian rover". their deep space exploration and novel satellite design is basically non-existent, but they do finally have a fully functional sat-nav system as of a year or two ago to rival GPS/GLONASS/Galileo. the west and the US especially still have a healthy lead but china has the ambition and funding to surpass them in the next 5-15 years if they try hard enough

e: misinterpreted your post. it's china that is playing catchup from deep in the back here, not NASA lol. but they are working hard

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 1, 2022

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

YeahTubaMike posted:

still cant see poo poo lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

ELTON JOHN posted:

there will never be a true picture of an exoplanet, it took flying a probe basically into Pluto to take pictures of it other than malformed dots

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ELTON JOHN posted:

I think this is more of a "you" problem.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

there will never be a true picture of an exoplanet, it took flying a probe basically into Pluto to take pictures of it other than malformed dots

well there is the idea of sending out a whole lot of little probes away from the target until they're at the perfect spot where our sun will gravitationally lens the light such that with enough probes you might be able to actually make out land masses

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ELTON JOHN posted:

Turn off your monitor

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
new poo poo

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1567163189082693632?s=20&t=FQxlA4On7FQiRD3-BaPIlQ

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

:rimshot:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
seeing a grim reaper-lookin' cloaked dude in that, not a tarantula

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

zooming in on that bright spot

:stonklol:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Looks like Oogie Boogie

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Space contains everything and it is still dwarfed by the emptiness. -Albert Einstein

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Sedgr posted:

Space contains everything and it is still dwarfed by the emptiness. -Albert Einstein

What gets me is that these stars look like they're literally next doo to each other, and yet they're most likely hundreds of light-years apart.

Universal distances always blow my mind

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Dragonstoned posted:

zooming in on that bright spot

:stonklol:

Aw yeah. First thing I did was zoom way in to this part

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Seth Pecksniff posted:

What gets me is that these stars look like they're literally next doo to each other, and yet they're most likely hundreds of light-years apart.

No, those guys literally are next door to each other. The star cluster R136 you're looking at is only only about 50 light years across, and that central blob where they're so close that you can't resolve individual stars is like 6.

It's a starburst area: a place where a whole shitton of thick gas condensed out into a whole lot of stars, many of them super-giants that are gonna burn out and go boom super fast.

Here's the tl;dr of a big star forming nebula:

1. Somehow a lot of gas gets pulled together, either by gravity and movement inside the galaxy or interactions with other galaxies (the second is much more effective, and can make a whole galaxy light up with millions of new stars). At this point it looks like a big black blob.

2. The densest region starts collapsing under its own gravity, pulling in more gas. Little knots accumulate and get big enough to collapse down into proto-stars.

3. Dozens or hundreds of stars turn on, basically all at once in astronomical time. The first thing they do is turn all that cold dense gas around them into hot expanding gas. This shuts down star formation as gas gets dispersed from the cold dense blobs. This famous picture looks like dirt being blown away in strong wind, because that's exactly what's happening.

4. If this was a big cloud, a good number of these new stars will be giant fuckers that are so bright that they light up the whole cloud complex for 100s of light years around them. This takes a couple forms (reflection where light bounces off the clouds, emission where UV and Xrays from super-giants are absorbed by gas and then that energy re-emitted as visible or IR light). <--- All the pretty pictures of cool nebula are from this step

5. The energy and solar wind from the star cluster, and the biggest stars quickly going supernova, blows away all the gas and dust. The nebula fades out.

Many of the stars spread out, but a tight cluster of them may hang together a long time and still be a recognizable group for millions or billions of years.

Only 10% of the gas made it into stars, the rest eventually get scooped into new clouds in the long long future.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Our own local star started in a cluster like this iirc

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

vortmax posted:

Woah how old are you?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

vortmax posted:

I forget did they ever find any solar siblings?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Lawman 0 posted:

I forget did they ever find any solar siblings?

https://skyandtelescope.org/astrono...he%20Sun%20was.

Two, I think.. One right here, only 117 light years away.. dunno about the other

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

vortmax posted:

Every star starts out in some type of cluster -- the gas clouds won't start collapsing unless they've got enough mass to make dozens or hundreds of suns.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
NEW poo poo OF THE ORION NEBULA F**K YES

https://pdrs4all.org/pdrs4all-first-images-release/

BONUS IMAGE WITH A HIDDEN FROG

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

No, those guys literally are next door to each other. The star cluster R136 you're looking at is only only about 50 light years across, and that central blob where they're so close that you can't resolve individual stars is like 6.

It's a starburst area: a place where a whole shitton of thick gas condensed out into a whole lot of stars, many of them super-giants that are gonna burn out and go boom super fast.

Here's the tl;dr of a big star forming nebula:

1. Somehow a lot of gas gets pulled together, either by gravity and movement inside the galaxy or interactions with other galaxies (the second is much more effective, and can make a whole galaxy light up with millions of new stars). At this point it looks like a big black blob.

2. The densest region starts collapsing under its own gravity, pulling in more gas. Little knots accumulate and get big enough to collapse down into proto-stars.

3. Dozens or hundreds of stars turn on, basically all at once in astronomical time. The first thing they do is turn all that cold dense gas around them into hot expanding gas. This shuts down star formation as gas gets dispersed from the cold dense blobs. This famous picture looks like dirt being blown away in strong wind, because that's exactly what's happening.

4. If this was a big cloud, a good number of these new stars will be giant fuckers that are so bright that they light up the whole cloud complex for 100s of light years around them. This takes a couple forms (reflection where light bounces off the clouds, emission where UV and Xrays from super-giants are absorbed by gas and then that energy re-emitted as visible or IR light). <--- All the pretty pictures of cool nebula are from this step

5. The energy and solar wind from the star cluster, and the biggest stars quickly going supernova, blows away all the gas and dust. The nebula fades out.

Many of the stars spread out, but a tight cluster of them may hang together a long time and still be a recognizable group for millions or billions of years.

Only 10% of the gas made it into stars, the rest eventually get scooped into new clouds in the long long future.

:350: two galactic icebergs made of gas colliding, and the friction sends stars as sparks :350:

Thank you, I will think about this all day.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ProperCoochie posted:

NEW poo poo OF THE ORION NEBULA F**K YES

https://pdrs4all.org/pdrs4all-first-images-release/

BONUS IMAGE WITH A HIDDEN FROG

thse are great

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Klyith posted:

This famous picture looks like dirt being blown away in strong wind, because that's exactly what's happening.

Well speak of the devil! Next up on Webb's continuing tour of the Greatest Hits of modern astronomy: The Pillars of Creation.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/nasa-s-webb-takes-star-filled-portrait-of-pillars-of-creation

The cool new poo poo: those bright red flares are from very young stars, which are still burping out hot gas ejections as they settle down. Webb can see into the interior of these dust clouds much better than Hubble. These "pillars" don't look nearly so solid anymore, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
it's all fake