Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm excited. This this should be cool as hell. The past few days I was watching a live model of the deployment stages in real time. It showed how far away from Earth/It's destination it was and had small videos of how the deployments worked. I closed the window and can't find it again though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Was it this?
Where is Webb?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

That's it! Thank you!

edit: wait, is this thing being set up WAY beyond the distance of the moon? I haven't read too much into it. Just stuff about the launch.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 8, 2022

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
will this thing be able to take pictures of elon's car? i don't care about him, but it's kind of cool that there's a car orbiting the sun. i want to see pictures of it

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
What are they pointing it at first? Surely they've got a list of top 3 things to have a look at straight away.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pennywise the Frown posted:

edit: wait, is this thing being set up WAY beyond the distance of the moon? I haven't read too much into it. Just stuff about the launch.

Yup. They can't put the thing in earth's orbit like the Hubble because even the earth radiates too much heat for it to work. So like you'd need the giant sun-shield and also a giant "earth-shield", and that's just too complicated.

There's this cool thing called a Lagrange Point, where the gravity of the earth and sun balance up and you can have a thing "stay put" relative to the earth. It's way out there.

Normally if an object was orbiting the Sun an extra 1.5 million KM further out than the earth, it wouldn't have the same orbit time as the earth. We'd go around the sun in 1 year, and the other thing would take like 1 year and 5 days. (Mars is 50% further out from the sun than Earth an it has a 686 day orbit.) That would mean that it would get out of sync with Earth and we'd drift further and further apart. But the Lagrange Point allows it to follow Earth's 1 year orbit so we stay together.

Chris Pistols posted:

What are they pointing it at first? Surely they've got a list of top 3 things to have a look at straight away.

just a guess but I'd imagine the first few things will be "boring" well-observed objects that we already have lots of data on -- to calibrate it and make sure the instruments do what they expect

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 8, 2022

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Happy to hear it's working out. I watched one of NASA's live streams (there are many!) the other day during mirror deployments and it was very tense. Nothing went wrong, I just like to stress myself out.

All this stuff is so precarious.

https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere/status/1479611931510013952?s=20

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

https://twitter.com/NASAWebb/status/1476194840018890756?s=20

hey I kinda called it, which is awesome news. still a month left and a bunch of poo poo can still go wrong, but good news here

:sickos:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Klyith posted:

Yup. They can't put the thing in earth's orbit like the Hubble because even the earth radiates too much heat for it to work. So like you'd need the giant sun-shield and also a giant "earth-shield", and that's just too complicated.

That's loving awesome.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

anyone got good article comparing the webbs capabilities to hubble? sorry if its been posted before but i have pink eye in both eyes and its really hard to read the text.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Will Webb be looking at extrasolar planets or just cosmology type stuff, ie quasars and big bang remnants?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Will Webb be looking at extrasolar planets or just cosmology type stuff, ie quasars and big bang remnants?

yeah it will do extrasolar planet stuff

it's got a really neat spectrograph that will be able to tell the composition of planet's atmospheres (for those planets that pass in front of their parent star and eclipse it)

and one of the more exciting things is that it will be good at seeing through dust, so I think they'll be looking at stars that still have dust discs where maybe planets are still forming. that's a cool one because "how is babby planet formed" is still a topic with lots of questions.

edit: But the cosmology & deep time stuff is the primary mission, and the thing that only JWST can do. We needed a bigass telescope, bigger than hubble, to see that far. And it had to be a space telescope to see that deep in infrared. Thus JWST.

So the future "menu" will depend a lot on what they see the first year or two. Maybe the universe 14 billion years was super uniform, and after looking for a while they'll be like, huh guess we can stop taking pictures of ancient galaxies that are all pretty much the same. OTOH maybe they keep finding new stuff about the shortly-post-big-bang universe and JWST ends up doing mostly that for its whole life.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 9, 2022

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NASAWebb/status/1479880178021060609?s=20

It really is a scientific marvel what they were able to pull off with this thing

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:peanut:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Now we wait two more weeks for it to reach orbit around Earth-Sun L2. Even the first test images are going to be stunning :getin:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

guess who just took their first selfie

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PIZZA.BAT posted:

:911:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
very hexy

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

gonna nut when the first fully calibrated pictures drop.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
this is a video about the sensors and whatnot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzWfUK0yvdY

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I wish they could take a better selfie than my 2000s webcam.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I wish they could take a better selfie than my 2000s webcam.

Let's see you take a better selfie at Earth's L2.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Let's see you take a better selfie at Earth's L2.

I'll do it and do it with my cellphone and no space "uniform."

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Oh gently caress they left the lens caps on all but that one mirror!

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
This is a good representation of what the orbit looks like:
https://twitter.com/NASASun/status/1493294029500518408?s=20&t=RSQ2HlyYPfmp8eWk96qtOQ

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Why does it orbit "vertically" while orbiting with Earth "horizontally"?

I'm very stupid, hope that made sense

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

kazr posted:

I'm very stupid, hope that made sense

Don't worry, I am in the same boat. I don't know why so far I've just accepted it.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Not sure I am also dumb, my best understanding is that, in the rubber sheet analogy, the Lagrange points are relatively flat areas in the two body problem, meaning you don't have to use a lot of fuel to stay there. The halo orbit looks like a pendulum effect, from the earth. It is probably cheaper fuel/weight-wise, to change course tangentially to the earth, than to try to park it at a point.

SAY YOHO fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 15, 2022

moparacker
May 8, 2007

kazr posted:

It has to do with keeping it out of the Earth/Moon shadows: Webb at L2 (~half way down the page).

At first I thought it was to help equalize out the gravitational forces.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SAY YOHO posted:

Not sure I am also dumb, my best understanding is that, in the rubber sheet analogy, the Lagrange points are relatively flat areas in the two body problem, meaning you don't have to use a lot of fuel to stay there.

This is how they're described in pretty much every scifi novel, especially the ones where the FTL drive only works in those spots. It's not the worst handwave description for them, but it's not true. Reality is both more complicated and much more mundane.

Lagrange points aren't flat areas of gravity. If the "rubber sheet" was flat that would mean no gravity at all, and stuff would just fly away. If I could use a device on you that flattened gravity, you'd be flung off the earth. That's not what happens to stuff at Lagrange points.

Two basic principles of orbital mechanics:
1. The lower / tighter your orbit, the faster you move. The ISS is in low earth orbit, 420km above us. It's moving 7.66 kilometers per second and goes around the Earth once every 90 minutes. The Moon is about 380,000 km up. It moves at just over 1km/second and takes 28 days to do an orbit. Higher orbit = slower.

2. The bigger (more massive) the thing you're orbiting, the faster your orbit velocity. The Earth is orbiting the Sun at almost 30km/s, despite the fact that we're a long way from the Sun. That's because the Sun is stonkin' huge. The Parker Solar Probe is the fastest object built by man -- it dives so close to the Sun that it enters the outer layers of the solar corona. It goes over 190km/second at its fastest.

So, the JWST is in orbit around the Sun, just like Earth. But it's 1.5 million km further out. This means that by principle #1, it should be going slower than the Earth, and taking longer to orbit. If that were the case it would start "falling behind", getting further and further away. That would be annoying, it would need bigger radios to communicate. And eventually it would be 180° out of sync, on the opposite side of the Sun to us. You can't radio through the Sun, so we'd be out of contact for a while. Then we'd start "catching up" and getting closer.

But now you want to think about fact #2. The Lagrange point L2 is on the line from the Sun through the Earth. Along that line you are adding the Earth's gravity to the Sun's. In effect, it's as if the Sun is a little bit heavier. The specific L2 point along that line is where that Earth+Sun equals an orbit velocity that's the same as Earth.

tl;dr the Earth has JWST on a string and is pulling it along saying "keep up, don't fall behind!"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chris Pistols posted:

Just got off the phone with NASA and they're finally going to capture the whole girth of my dillz.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I'm sure there are several smart reasons for orbiting this way but you can't convince me it's mostly about scientists just showing off their insane math skills. This is the 360 noscope of orbital patterns

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

sigher posted:

Just got off the phone with NASA and they're finally going to capture the whole girth of my dillz.

Oh are they also building microscopes now? Cool!

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Klyith posted:

the Earth has JWST on a string and is pulling it along saying "keep up, don't fall behind!"

Webb wobbles, but won't fall down.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

sigher posted:

You're gonna need a whole bunch of lenses for that because electron microscopes aren't powerful enough

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Klyith posted:

This is how they're described in pretty much every scifi novel, especially the ones where the FTL drive only works in those spots. It's not the worst handwave description for them, but it's not true. Reality is both more complicated and much more mundane.

Lagrange points aren't flat areas of gravity. If the "rubber sheet" was flat that would mean no gravity at all, and stuff would just fly away. If I could use a device on you that flattened gravity, you'd be flung off the earth. That's not what happens to stuff at Lagrange points.

1. The lower / tighter your orbit, the faster you move. The ISS is in low earth orbit, 420km above us. It's moving 7.66 kilometers per second and goes around the Earth once every 90 minutes. The Moon is about 380,000 km up. It moves at just over 1km/second and takes 28 days to do an orbit. Higher orbit = slower.

2. The bigger (more massive) the thing you're orbiting, the faster your orbit velocity. The Earth is orbiting the Sun at almost 30km/s, despite the fact that we're a long way from the Sun. That's because the Sun is stonkin' huge. The Parker Solar Probe is the fastest object built by man -- it dives so close to the Sun that it enters the outer layers of the solar corona. It goes over 190km/second at its fastest.

So, the JWST is in orbit around the Sun, just like Earth. But it's 1.5 million km further out. This means that by principle #1, it should be going slower than the Earth, and taking longer to orbit. If that were the case it would start "falling behind", getting further and further away. That would be annoying, it would need bigger radios to communicate. And eventually it would be 180° out of sync, on the opposite side of the Sun to us. You can't radio through the Sun, so we'd be out of contact for a while. Then we'd start "catching up" and getting closer.

But now you want to think about fact #2. The Lagrange point L2 is on the line from the Sun through the Earth. Along that line you are adding the Earth's gravity to the Sun's. In effect, it's as if the Sun is a little bit heavier. The specific L2 point along that line is where that Earth+Sun equals an orbit velocity that's the same as Earth.

tl;dr the Earth has JWST on a string and is pulling it along saying "keep up, don't fall behind!"

Thanks for explaining. drat that's cool

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Mozi posted:

very hexy

:haw:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

not even my bathroom mirror is that dirty

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Klyith posted:

I can imagine the string thing a bit, with Sun's plus a tiny bit more gravity, which is the the Earth. Does the James Webb go up and down in a circle because of constant corrections, or does it mostly naturally do that? I can kinda see it being able to orbit vertically like that because it's the Sun's gravity pulling it in one direction, and then the Earth's gravity pulling it in another direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
From what I've heard, the Webb is orbiting juuuuust outside of the actual L2 distance, and naturally wants to float slowly away from Earth. They're applying a tiny bit of thrust to hold it on the edge of the "slope." So it's sorta like a ball rolling around the edge of a shallow hill, with barely enough inward thrust to keep it from rolling away.