Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Bloop posted:

Yeah looking at these I think about how even most sci-fi is confined to a single galaxy

Even hyperdrives and trans-warp conduits and whatever don't come close to getting people traveling between galaxies

As a single galaxy is so mindbogglingly large there really is very little need to write at going beyond that unless it's baked into the narrative for whatever reason.

Usually it seems to be used as something coming/going into to "the great beyond" or what not, because yeah, if you can't just basically go to any place in the universe instantly the distance just become crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MrQwerty posted:

They took a spectrum of WASP 96 b, which is 1150ly away, so we'll at least get to see some planet poo poo in an hour

Look I've already been waiting 1150 years for that light to get here from WASP 96 b and a now they want me to wait an hour more.

Rude. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

In the Next Generation, something like only 15% of the known galaxy is explored, and even things we can see here with the naked eye or a cheap telescope like the Pleiades and the Carina Nebula are beyond the frontiers of the Federation. And this is stuff written by people who said, "Ships that can go 3,000 times the speed of light? Imagine the possibilities!"

Yeah but everyone knows the Federation got a bit lazy with the whole "exploring the final frontier" thing as soon as Holodeck tech was put on ships.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Whats scarier; finding out we're alone out here or finding out other life exist and they kept the hot n ready pizzas at $5 usd?

Finding out aliens exist and there was totally banger of a galactic party happening in a near by solar system that they were thinking of inviting humanity too, but they chose not to as they think were pretty lame and boring and just thought we'd be a bit of a drag. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's like going to be 15-30 more minutes till we actually see any images isn't it?

Edit: oh hey timeline sweet for when there going to show each image. Sweet!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
"Everything we are seeing here was taking in a week, we're going to be seeing discoveries like these everyweek."

Whoop!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

YeahTubaMike posted:

Getting pictures from space? Sure. Getting streams from Canada though?

Hey if NASA. If Canada was 13.8 billions light years away then they would be finding getting the stream up much easier!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Ok holy poo poo we can get evidence of clouds on exo planets?? and hazes???

That chart they had in the background looked like it had some crazy amount of detail for an exoplanet observation.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jonny Quest posted:

So far I've learned that space is vast, but Canada is incomprehensibly vaster.

Canada, the true final frontier.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

This presenter is living out the nightmare of anyone who works in live TV, and is handling it shockingly well.

Seriously AV ways this has been a bit of a shitshow, but she really is handling it like an absolute champ.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Holy poo poo that image.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1546871970976997378

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Every time they try to cut to somewhere I start feel anxious.

It's like worse than 50/50 if something going to gently caress up at this point.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1546874420098121730

Oh god it's literally crazy just how much was going on in the photo

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1546877352243859458/photo/1
Stunning. You can tell why the left this for last. Absolutely beautiful.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

for fucks sake posted:

Gonna get the nebula images printed and framed

Already my desktop background. Words really don't describe.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Just fyi all. Sites taking a while to load at the moment, for yeah pretty obvious reasons.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CBD Corndog posted:

Including a 12K 124MB PNG of the nebula

There is going to be some pretty extraordinary astronomical discovers coming out over the next decade because of Webb.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Confusedslight posted:

If this causes me to have a heart attack I'm semi ok with that. https://youtu.be/la8dLLsuG9g an Astronomer really disecting the first image. She's the appropriate level of excitement. Highly recommend.

Haha, yeah Dr Becky is great for Youtube Astronomy stuff.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I see no hot n readys out there. Just a buncha dust!

Pizza are made out of stardust.

These images are in a way all pizza. :2bong:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Confusedslight posted:

I want to wake my flatmates up and scream at them to look at these photos. I will not but I really want to.

Same, but with my brother in law. He's really into astronomy as well, but dude's down with a bad cold right now and is really needing the sleep. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Anyway. Think about this. Webb can pop off these pics in hours, and has 20 years of juice in it. RIP, Hubble, you did good. But there's a new king in orbit.*

Yeah, what an amazing introduction to what James Webb can do and yeah they obviously very careful about their first picks for observations, but still going to be a lot young people inspired to go into astronomy/astrophysics because of this. Really does seem like going to over it's life time make a big change in what we know about the universe.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's churlish to even mention it now but I'm extremely impressed how the woman presenting it still managed to thank the video production team at NASA at the end of the stream and look like she meant it. She would kill at poker.

I literally did laugh out loud when she said that. As many have said she did an amazing job under extremely difficult circumstances. If she is not a professional presenter she easily could be.
Seen TV presenters who do this stuff daily not do half as well under far less challenging technical difficulties.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I wanted to be an astronomer so badly when I was a kid but the math killed me

I can still appreciate such beauty that smarter people than me created, though!

Same. Even if we may not ourselves be standing a top the shoulders of giants, tis always such a sight to see the paintings made by those that are!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aishlinn posted:

Only somewhat sorry. had to be done.

So how much funding do you need to complete your research into this intriguing theory?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lawman 0 posted:

Spicy option is probably Pluto imho.

Pluto had it's chance to be an interesting, but no it decided to be all lazy. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
any word yet on how and when the next JWST are going to be released?

Like is there going to be another presentation or just ad hoc from now on? Seems like there would still be well enough interest for another -um, possibly prerecorded this time- presentation.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Negostrike posted:

That was its mission, accomplished. Now it's gonna go back to Earth duh

Oh, when's it getting back? We should totally throw it a surprise welcome back party!

What kind of cake do space telescopes like?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Popoto posted:

Pretty sure dolphins have a language, considering they name each other. Also they use tools.

I mean it does sort of gets into what's the level of complexity of mutually understood communication system that is considered a language.

I'm pretty sure depending on field of study, and just the person studying them, this will probably have very different answers.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Handen posted:

Could the imaging team not eliminate the diffraction spikes entirely with multiple exposures taken at slight rotation from each other? I.e., take one exposure, then rotate the entire craft 7.5°, take the same exposure again, and then end up with two images of the same field with diffraction spikes rotated 7.5° off-axis from the previous exposure, which can then be stacked to eliminate the differences between the two exposures, thereby eliminating BOTH sets of diffraction spikes in the process?

I seem to recall that the Astronomers don't mind the diffraction spikes that much as long as they don't block anything important, as they can get quite a bit of information about the star from the details in them. Obviously if they're not relevant and blocking something they want to see then yeah, getting rid of them would be the go.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nocheez posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to just rotate the whole universe 7.5 degrees instead?

Look ya can't change the rotational speed of the universes if ya do not want the cosmic needle to playback the music music at a different speed as intended.

Do you want the cosmic choir of this our infinite universe to sound like god drat chipmunks, cos that's what you're gonna get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I mean it's space. Of course it's big.

Unless that's the lie and space is actually super tiny.