Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

:eyepop::popeye::eyepop::popeye::eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Don't worry, I have it on good authority Vice President Harris will bring significant modding experience, along with the KHive for a new and fun way to post

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Holy poo poo I just noticed you can see the spiral arms in some of these galaxies

like i'm looking at a galaxy millions of lightyears away and I can pick out at least three arms on it

The big white one facing head-on in the upper-right quadrant is great

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Philthy posted:

Let's point it at a solar system that's super close so we can see volcanos exploding and poo poo.

They took a spectrum of WASP 96 b, which is 1150ly away, so we'll at least get to see some planet poo poo in an hour

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

LanceHunter posted:

They clearly learned their lesson from yesterday, and now have that little bug in the corner with the exact countdown until the images get released.

good, cuz I was trying to go to bed before I had to go to work yesterday and instead sat there staring at Kamala and Joe going

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I mean 20+ years and 20,000 personnel, plus the fact that they managed to pull this off perfectly

I think they earned it

Thing got hit by a rock and didn't break, everyone gets to talk

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Ok holy poo poo we can get evidence of clouds on exo planets?? and hazes???

Spectrography works at galactic distances, the more granular you can make it the finer you can tune it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Holy poo poo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Seth Pecksniff posted:

AGAIN :tviv:

I think two of those galaxies are merging?????

It looks like one is being drawn in while the other is throwing out a big stream indeed

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Absolutely amazing piece of humanity.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Pookah posted:

It really is too much.

Years ago I got a really basic astronomical telescope, and the first time I saw Andromeda, and then Saturn's rings, were the closest I've ever felt to having a really powerful religious feeling.
I'd seen images of them before, plenty of them, but looking up into the night and seeing them for myself was beyond anything.

I had an astro teacher who was way into it when I took it as an elective in community college, and he did a real-deal 2-part course and lab. One time he asked us to go to the UNM observatory for extra credit (recommended!) on amateur day.
Not only did I get to look at an experiment guys were doing, but Saturn and 4 moons were up and the rings were pointed directly at us. Some guy with a 16x cannon scope he ground the glass for and built from scratch would sight it for you, then just track it by hand while you looked at Saturn with 4 bright rear end, resolving as circles dots around it.

I can't imagine what people thought the first times they saw that through telescopes, especially looking at Saturn, all the times they were invented; because it's really loving mindblowing to see Saturn's rings staring at you with a stark shadow across the planet, with 4 planets just there.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Hubble was 80's tech, Webb took so long partly because tech changed so fast during its development, in every aspect from electronics, to sensors to rockets.
Everything hit a point everyone was comfortable with and now here we are.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CannonFodder posted:

I just can’t get over the fact that now in the background of all of these amazing pictures is a smattering of red dots that are actually galaxies.

JWST: Just capturing hundreds of galaxies we didn’t know about, nbd.

Dead, redshifted galaxies

What the gently caress does that even MEAN

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'd be more worried if they were dead, blueshifted galaxies tbh

lmao watch Webb find blueshifting objects

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Aishlinn posted:

Only somewhat sorry. had to be done.

If you don't pore into your own hole, do you pore into your you hole? :xavier:

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 12, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

ProperCoochie posted:

I think the Jupiter pics were just a test or calibration thing.

yeah I feel like I read that they took those Jupiter pics to test some stuff out and see if it could even do it, and the result was "JWST is bad loving rear end, even the capabilities tests are insane"

that Jupiter ring made me go :dumbbravo:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

just gonna take better pictures of both galaxies real quick and see whats up nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

ELTON JOHN posted:

still cant see poo poo lol

there will never be a true picture of an exoplanet, it took flying a probe basically into Pluto to take pictures of it other than malformed dots