Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

some of the people working on the thing have already been quoted that the images they've seen have "moved them to tears"

That space rock that hit the mirror actually ruined the Webb and the July 12 presentation will just be the first ten minutes of Up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Flerfers furiously poring over the image right now to make YouTube videos about it being fake and "see-gee-eye". Their strongest argument being, "That looks weird, innit?"

edit; poring not pouring

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 12, 2022

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

We're the galactic equivalent of one of those uncontacted tribes in the Amazon. At least that's more soothing than the dark forest theory.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Though, I read somewhere (great source!) that 95% of all stars that will ever exist in our universe have already been born. We're in the cosmic sweet spot right now.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

It's like that Vox video about the Hubble Deep Field that describes it as if we had the ability to point a telescope at Earth and see ancient Egypt, and behind the pyramids we can see neanderthals, and behind them dinosaurs.

I guess don't overthink the logistics of that analogy, it's still nifty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Tc0Rk2cNg

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

I’m fact, the speed of light is better understood as the speed of causality, and any attempts to move faster than it just opens up unresolvable paradoxes.

In my Star Trek head canon there is a super-massive-large telescope 66 million light years from Earth that is tasked with watching the last days of the dinosaurs. Also one about 4,000 light years to watch Bible times.

Crap, I just realized that 66 million light years would put it about 25 times the distance to the Andromeda Galaxy. So much for that, even in sci fi!

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

dr_rat posted:

As a single galaxy is so mindbogglingly large there really is very little need to write at going beyond that unless it's baked into the narrative for whatever reason.

Usually it seems to be used as something coming/going into to "the great beyond" or what not, because yeah, if you can't just basically go to any place in the universe instantly the distance just become crazy.

In the Next Generation, something like only 15% of the known galaxy is explored, and even things we can see here with the naked eye or a cheap telescope like the Pleiades and the Carina Nebula are beyond the frontiers of the Federation. And this is stuff written by people who said, "Ships that can go 3,000 times the speed of light? Imagine the possibilities!"

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I want our first hint of alien life to be a Kardashev III civilization that makes a whole galaxy blink like it's talking about George Bailey. Too far to harm us...or help us. But just right to freak us out.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

125k now

Oh, hey, it's the guy Smarter Every Day made a whole video about.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I keep hearing, "Go Webb!" as "Go away!"

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

This host has a really good telepresence for being a legit astronomer/smartypants.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

This is why I like watching the uncut broadcasts from the Apollo missions. You get awkward things like this a lot for being exploratory badasses. I think my favorite is when Neil Armstrong, a few days into the lunar coast, casually started nerding out about the history of cartography with Mike Collins and CAPCOM.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

This presenter is living out the nightmare of anyone who works in live TV, and is handling it shockingly well.

I've worked behind the scenes on live global newscasts before, and she is crushing it.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I want our first hint of alien life to be a Kardashev III civilization that makes a whole galaxy blink like it's talking about George Bailey. Too far to harm us...or help us. But just right to freak us out.

This Webb galaxy image is of the same galaxies used in "It's a Wonderful Life" I was referencing here. Nifty!

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

Kind of annoying that there's light reflecting off of the image, it makes me wonder if there are things being obscured

Not sure I follow what you mean.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

My god that quintet image is like a deep field showing off. Every bit is just littered with galaxies.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Pookah posted:

It really is too much.

Years ago I got a really basic astronomical telescope, and the first time I saw Andromeda, and then Saturn's rings, were the closest I've ever felt to having a really powerful religious feeling.
I'd seen images of them before, plenty of them, but looking up into the night and seeing them for myself was beyond anything.

When I went to the Lowell Observatory years ago they let us look through one of their famous scopes. I think it was the one Lowell himself used to sketch "canals" on Mars. That night it was aimed at Jupiter. And, yeah, seeing the bands and the Red Spot with your own eyes hits different.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i hope they take a baller-rear end picture of hoag's object at sone point with this absolute unit

Oh yes please! That thing gets me in a way hard to explain. A ring unlike any other galaxy we know. And inside that ring is another galaxy behind it that looks just like that.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Prettz posted:

all these pictures look amazingly similar to 11 billion dollar bills being vaporized

Tens of thousands of salaries and families being fed and... aw hell, why am I taking the bait. I'd much rather more Webbs than another drat aircraft carrier.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Prettz posted:

fuckin lol you think much of that poo poo went to salaries? It went to a pentagon contractor.

Why are you even in this thread?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

He's trolling. Peep the rap sheet.

Ahh, Got it. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyway. Think about this. Webb can pop off these pics in hours, and has 20 years of juice in it. RIP, Hubble, you did good. But there's a new king in orbit.*

*Yes, I know it's a Lagrange point, but still counts!

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Launchpad Astronomy has a good video about why we can't actually see pictures of exoplanets. (Short answer, they're really far away and small, even for our best telescopes.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQFqDKRAROI

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Now drop a beat to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjEngEpiJKo

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The Voyager record is just a 65-year-old man saying "Do. You. Speak. English?" progressively louder and over-enunciated for an hour.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

This popped up on my YouTube to show where that binary nebula is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0pg1dDkc6A

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Poor thing's gonna look like Season 4 Battlestar Galactica by the end of the decade.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The wiki article on Rio Ophiuchi is already using it as the main image. drat they're fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I want another livecast full of technical mess ups just so I can watch that host handle it with aplomb. She was great.