Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Baker's...
This poll is closed.
dozen :bagl: 7 11.29%
the greatest QB in the AFC North! 6 9.68%
the future QB of The Washington Football Team 24 38.71%
just thrown me an interception? Woah! :potg: 25 40.32%
Total: 62 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Kawalimus posted:

A good chance for a WR to get MVP would be if the team's QB went down midseason and the rest of the year was a different QB but the WR kept the same top level production. Then a WR might win MVP.

I checked and the last time a WR won MVP was 2019 so it's probably not as hard as all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Raku posted:

I checked and the last time a WR won MVP was 2019 so it's probably not as hard as all that

That's not even the right joke! But I did have to look up who won it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I feel like Larry Fitzgerald should have won an MVP at some point considering the guys he had throwing to him.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
For those wondering about a WR maybe winning MVP, here's the history of receivers even getting votes:

The last time one got any votes at all was rookie Randy Moss getting 4 in 1998, for 8.5% of the total votes (The winner, Terrell Davis, got 25 votes/53%). Moss didn't even get any for his amazing season in 2007, not did Calvin Johnson in 2012.

Prior to that, Jerry Rice got 10 votes in 1995 when he set the then record for receiving yards in a season with 1848 (Plus 122 catches, one shy of the then NFL record which was set that same season), and he did this with Elvis Grbac playing significant snaps that season (5 starts) and the team having a sub-par running game. Those 10 votes were good enough for second place that year, but Brett Favre ran away with 69 votes (Nice) for his first MVP. The year before, Rice got a single vote for MVP, as did teammate Deion Sanders, but their QB Steve Young ran away with the award (74 votes, 75.5%). Interestingly, Rice also finished third in the voting in 1993 with 15, while Steve Young got 21 votes, and their splitting of the vote allowed Emmitt Smith to win with only 26 votes. Sterling Sharpe got a single vote that year, and had gotten two in 1992, both years in which he'd reset the NFL receptions record (108 in 1992, 112 in 1993). Rice also got a single vote in 1990, for 1.3% of the vote.

The closest and most well known case of a receiver nearly getting the MVP is 1987, and is also Jerry Rice. As a reminder, playing in only 12 games due to the players strike that year, Rice had 22 touchdowns. He finished second in voting with 30 votes, but again split with Joe Montana who got 18 himself. Their splitting of the vote allowed the MVP to go to John Elway, who got 36 votes. Rice had also gotten a single vote for MVP in 1986 (Also, so did Giants TE Mark Bavaro, who I think is the first tight end I've seen get a vote). I'll note that Chargers receiver Wes Chandler didn't get a single vote in 1982 when he lead the NFL with 1039 yards in the 9-game strike shortened season (His 129 yards per game is still the single season record), a year where Kicker Mark Moseley won the award by two votes over Dan Fouts.

For those insanely curious like I was, the 1970s are full of seasons where receivers got one or two votes in random years, some being names people might remember (Harold Carmichael and Steve Largent both got two in 1979), others they won't (Rams receiver Harold Jackson got two in 1973). Chiefs receiver Otis Taylor got 10 votes and finished tied for second in 1971, a season where 13 different players got votes in their name and ultimately the award went to Vikings DT Alan Page (16 votes) for the first of only two defensive players to win the award.

So yeah, it'll probably never happen unless you get a perfect storm of events where a receiver has an out of this world season. They'd probably need to shatter some record, while at the same time no QB in the league is having an obviously stand out year, cause no matter what the QB who finishes with the most yards or touchdowns or with the best record is guaranteed to get some votes by sports writers scrambling to fill out their ballot at the last second. It would probably help this hypothetical receiver if they also contributed in the rushing or return game as well, and also no running back had a great year carrying their team as well.

Raku posted:

:dadjoke:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

fartknocker posted:

So yeah, it'll probably never happen unless you get a perfect storm of events where a receiver has an out of this world season. They'd probably need to shatter some record, while at the same time no QB in the league is having an obviously stand out year, cause no matter what the QB who finishes with the most yards or touchdowns or with the best record is guaranteed to get some votes by sports writers scrambling to fill out their ballot at the last second. It would probably help this hypothetical receiver if they also contributed in the rushing or return game as well, and also no running back had a great year carrying their team as well.

The reasons you listed are why it won't happen, and Steve Smith's 2005 season reflects that perfectly.

He led the league in Receptions/Rec TDs/Rec Yards after missing the entire season prior due to a broken leg, his team had an 11-5 record and made the playoffs, and he had a QB throwing to him who wasn't going to vulture any votes.

So basically what I'm saying is Jonathan Taylor is going to win it this year.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
It’s gonna be Rodgers or Brady just like it is every year

OPOY will be interesting though

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Chargers bad

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Bills bitch!
Now watch us poo poo the bed so hard against the Falcons they put Cordarelle Patterson into the HOF.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Texans are NOT going 3-14 this year!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chucktesla posted:

Chargers bad

Embarrassing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

either i'm huffing paint or espn is, i thought Josh Johnson was on the Jets, why did he start for the Ravens this week

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
He played for both this year

Now I'm curious how many QBs have thrown for 300 yards for two teams in the same season

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Alaois posted:

either i'm huffing paint or espn is, i thought Josh Johnson was on the Jets, why did he start for the Ravens this week

Josh was QB4 and on the jets practice squad behind Wilson, Mike White and Flacco lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

did Tyler Huntley get hurt or catch COVID, i know he can't convert 2 point conversions to in the final seconds of the game but i'd have thought he'd played well enough to keep going with Lamar out

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

did Tyler Huntley get hurt or catch COVID, i know he can't convert 2 point conversions to in the final seconds of the game but i'd have thought he'd played well enough to keep going with Lamar out

COVID

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

Embarrassing.

What the gently caress happened?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kalli posted:

Couldn't stop anything on defense without Bosa and Derwin on the field. Houston was like 11/14 on third down.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lol if you didn't think the bills had this pats game circled in blood after getting aced by 3 card mccorkle.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Chiefs are getting a bye week before their game with the Bengals

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Kalli posted:

Only one viable NFL corner and one edge rusher available for the game due to covid, like three defensive starters were knocked out over the course of the day, and they were a bad defense anyways

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

Couldn't stop anything on defense without Bosa and Derwin on the field. Houston was like 11/14 on third down.

Chucktesla posted:

Only one viable NFL corner and one edge rusher available for the game due to covid, like three defensive starters were knocked out over the course of the day, and they were a bad defense anyways

Yeah, but the Texans

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The journalist asking this is hilarious
https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/1475222639954337795

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hot Diggity! posted:

The journalist asking this is hilarious

I hope she asks it again next week since Bill invited her to.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Kalli posted:

Yeah, but the Texans

They beat a covid and injury ravaged Titans team too

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Bengals win. Hell yeah

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

2 linemen scored TDs in Jets/Jags.

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1475230168956473353

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Josh Allen is my god and "gently caress Boston" is His message

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Ravens are seriously going to be in the 7th seed for the playoffs at the end of today the way it's looking. I mean you have got to be kidding me

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
If Baltimore wins out they'll almost certainly make the wildcard. Not sure if that's actually a good outcome for the team all considered.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

The Ravens are seriously going to be in the 7th seed for the playoffs at the end of today the way it's looking. I mean you have got to be kidding me

The entire team is either on ir or COVID reserve

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

If Baltimore wins out they'll almost certainly make the wildcard. Not sure if that's actually a good outcome for the team all considered.

Yeah we'll get in the playoffs, somehow win against the Titans because all the road teams win but Mark Andrews will have a career ending injury. Then we'll get blown out by the Chiefs the following week.

Gotta hope Miami can keep winning that will help us.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 27, 2021

TNABuffalo
Apr 4, 2011

fsif posted:

Josh Allen is my god and "gently caress Boston" is His message

And Diggs is his prophet, speaking the good word of " you, you, you, you shut the gently caress up"

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Fuckin Bengeys babe

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Thoughts on the 2021 Seahawks:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

drat, seems like the Pats kind of suck when the other team is able to throw the ball and they’re forced to as well.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Lol at big dick nick leading one of the best bears offensive performance of the year

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Seahawks let the loving Bears make a comeback TD run, then allowed one of the most insane 2pt conversions to happen, and then loving shat the bed on their final drive.

Big Dick Nick needs to go to Denver or Carolina or somewhere. He's mostly bad but can have some magical performances at times.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Chiefs @ Bengals next week should be pretty fun, kinda surprised they didn't move it to the late afternoon slot.

Looking at the schedule I guess there are a lot of west coast games next week, maybe that played into not moving it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Grittybeard posted:

Chiefs @ Bengals next week should be pretty fun, kinda surprised they didn't move it to the late afternoon slot.

Looking at the schedule I guess there are a lot of west coast games next week, maybe that played into not moving it.

I mean the Bengals rival the Chargers in inconsistency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol Seahawks