Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Baker's...
This poll is closed.
dozen :bagl: 7 11.29%
the greatest QB in the AFC North! 6 9.68%
the future QB of The Washington Football Team 24 38.71%
just thrown me an interception? Woah! :potg: 25 40.32%
Total: 62 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
For the record, I am only talking about the Rams game here. Under no circumstances do I want anything less than the total annihilation of the Steelers week 17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DariusLikewise posted:

I don’t think the football team deserves to exist

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Grittybeard posted:

KC has only looked amazing against the Raiders twice and the Steelers, they've won but struggled in every other game during this streak.

I'm not trying to complain here obviously, just saying they haven't exactly been mopping the floor with most of the league and all of it seems potentially wide open to me.

The Chargers game at least looked like a game between two good teams. Shame about the rest of the Chargers games lately though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In 2010 the 6-9 Seahawks and 6-9 Rams met in Week 17 to decide the dubious honor of being the first division champion with a losing record. A not-insignificant number of fans from both teams wanted to lose and guarantee themselves a top-15 draft pick. Because making the playoffs is whatever and besides, the winner had absolutely no shot at beating the defending champion Saints. Why bother when you're just going to get slaughtered the next week? Forget about it and grab that sexy pass rusher you just heard of 10 minutes ago . He's worth more than a measly Wild Card game that nobody will remember, much less develop deep and bonding memories over.

What I'm saying here is you always try to win and acting like that's a bad thing is absolute loser energy.

The Rams ended up with Robert Quinn so it worked out fine for them in the end. They also never sniffed the playoffs again until 7 years later, but who's counting.

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 27, 2021

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Strobe posted:

The Chargers game at least looked like a game between two good teams. Shame about the rest of the Chargers games lately though.

We can only play well against good teams I guess

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I mean if the Ravens actually *beat* the Rams next week, that would probably indicate that they've gotten some guys back and can probably at least compete with most of the AFC playoff field. Actively rooting for them to lose is wild.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’ve been gone practically all day with the gf; just got home to look at box scores and highlights for all the games.

Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen reallllllly wanted to fight each other on the sideline today, huh? Holy hell, Dallas totally dismantled Washington today. Just a total demolition.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Gonz posted:

Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen reallllllly wanted to fight each other on the sideline today, huh? Holy hell, Dallas totally dismantled Washington today. Just a total demolition.

think I'm on Team Allen, Payne poked him in the side of the head with his finger

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This was like a tecmo bowl play in real life, if he'd have run backwards everyone would have bunched up to dive at him and he'd have housed it.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1475313847397335043

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The NFL is the only league where you can be lousy but not literally the worst and build from the middle. Maybe MLB too I don’t know it takes like 5 years to figure out if a draft pick is good. Which makes the Lions being so bad for 70 years that much more baffling.

Bill Ford Sr.,for decades, hired his friends to run the front office, and then those people hired coaching staff after coaching staff that were out of their depth, and there was never any accountability because the fans kept going to the games and buying season tickets and tons of merch, because Stockholm Syndrome is very difficult to deprogram out of someone, y’see.

Then Bill Ford died and his wife took over, and kept that process going by firing the most successful coach they’ve had this century (Jim Caldwell), and hired Matt Patricia and Bob Quinn, who failed miserably.

Shortly after that, Martha realized she was just as bad at football decision making as her late husband, and gave control of the team to her daughter after firing Quinn and Patricia.

Then Sheila Ford hired Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell to bite people’s kneecaps. The outcome of these hirings is TBD.

But the Lions had probably the worst roster in the NFL going into the season, with their entire WR room having a grand total of a few games of pro experience, and Jared Goff didn’t look like an actual QB until the last two weeks. And the current roster is basically all UDFAs and practice squad guys because all their best players got hurt within a few weeks of each other.

It’s a goddamn miracle they’ve won two games at all.

This image accurately encapsulates my entire existence as a Lions fan post-2008’s 0-16 season. It’s how I keep myself sane each season since then:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The More You Know:

On November 22nd, 1963, Bill Ford Sr. purchased the Detroit Lions for 4.5 million dollars.

Also, on November 22nd, 1963, JFK got shot in Dallas, Texas.

Two tragedies happened that day.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The NFL is the only league where you can be lousy but not literally the worst and build from the middle. Maybe MLB too I don’t know it takes like 5 years to figure out if a draft pick is good. Which makes the Lions being so bad for 70 years that much more baffling.

They had a winning record 3 out of 4 years, but had to fire their coach so they could get the prize pig Matt Patricia to pair with Bob Quinn and tear that team down to the studs.

They had done a pretty good job of building a solid offense, the defense was pretty lousy, but they were at least doing something.

And then....

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gonz posted:

The More You Know:

On November 22nd, 1963, Bill Ford Sr. purchased the Detroit Lions for 4.5 million dollars.

Also, on November 22nd, 1963, JFK got shot in Dallas, Texas.

Two tragedies happened that day.

Both were inside jobs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

for the record: big d*ck n*ck

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

Large Testicles Nicholas of the Chicago Bears

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Benne posted:

Draft position is the most overrated thing in football and the discourse around it has completely broken people's brains

yeah lol. there's something to be said for it but there's an insane number of factors that affect whether a player will succeed or not. i dont exactly want to go out and lose a playoff game, but i'll take that in exchange for winning two more football games. i just want to see my team win as much as possible. my whole happiness isn't dependent on this poo poo, but man it does feel good when any of my drat teams win

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

COLTS! AROOO!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Epic High Five posted:

COLTS! AROOO!

This guy gets it

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Draft position does matter because look what happened to the Ravens with Dez Bryant. You want to be in a position where you can get the guy you want. And the higher second is just as if not more important than the higher first. And we all know that if we play a playoff game that career ending injury to Mark Andrews is coming. But if we're this bad and can't stop anything through the air there's just no point in seeing more games. I want to see other playoff teams play that are less miserable to watch and don't allow 500 yards through the air.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

Big Deck Neck?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've thought about the game last night a bit more and have this to say: lol

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I loving hate the Cowboys what a bunch of smarmy cunts

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Asproigerosis posted:

I loving hate the Cowboys what a bunch of smarmy cunts

:salt:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Kalli posted:

They had a winning record 3 out of 4 years, but had to fire their coach so they could get the prize pig Matt Patricia to pair with Bob Quinn and tear that team down to the studs.

They had done a pretty good job of building a solid offense, the defense was pretty lousy, but they were at least doing something.

And then....

While it is true that Caldwell had a winning record 3 of those 4 years, that doesn't really tell the whole story—which is that Caldwell was a guy that could get his players to perform to their level of talent, but struggled immensely to take them beyond that. The 2015 season is a good illustration of that: Coming after 11 wins and a dominating defense in 2014, the Lions were looking to be major playoff contenders. Instead, they lost every one of their first five games, barely managed to beat a struggling Bears team, and then lost two more times (Including a 45-10 blowout inflicted by the Chiefs that saw Stafford get benched) to give themselves a 1-7 record heading into the bye. As a result, the team president, GM, and offensive coordinator all got fired, and Caldwell only kept his job by the skin of his teeth. Afterwards, of course, the team rallied, and won six of the last eight to bring themselves up to a more respectable 7-9 record. But with the exception of a win against the Packers, every team the Lions beat would end the season with a losing record.

The Lions did face some uphill struggles in 2015. Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley left in free agency, DeAndre Levy was injured, and they faced a decently tough schedule to start the season. But at the same time, if you want to be a good football team, one that wins championships, or even playoff games, you have to be able to overcome losses to personnel and to beat good teams—and Caldwell struggled immensely at that, going a combined 9-25 against teams with winning records (And that's being generous, since it includes 3 wins against teams that went 8-8). And in the games that mattered most, like the season-enders against the Packers to win the division in 2014 and 2016, the 2015 Hail Mary game against the Packers to keep their miniscule playoff hopes alive, and the 2017 game against a Bengals team with nothing to play for, that would have gotten them into the playoffs... Caldwell failed, and could not rally his team to achieve crucial wins.

(I would also take this time to mention that Caldwell sucked at coordinator hires. His first OC's everlasting contribution to the team was to use Calvin loving Johnson as a decoy for god's sake)

Hiring Matt Patricia was a mistake. Patricia is arrogant and incompetent, and drove away some of the best players this team had. But while his tenure was a monumental blunder that will not be missed, I'm still not entirely convinced that moving away from Caldwell was the wrong choice. He's a good man and a decent coach, but with the Lions he just never showed that he had what it took to win against real competition.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
re: Draft position, my take is that while you should never root for your team to actively lose (Unless you want the coach to get fired, in which case the losing will probably happen anyway), it's a fine consolation benefit to losing. Like, with the Lions' loss to the Falcons yesterday—would it have been fun to win? Sure! Always great to see. But it also sure was nice to effectively lock up that #2 overall pick, so I'm not exactly too broken up about it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The Jaguars have spent the last 3 weeks getting shut out and swept by the Titans, losing by double digits and getting swept by the team we mocked as the worst in the NFL all offseason, and losing to the other team we mocked as worst in the NFL for most of the regular season

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

re: Draft position, my take is that while you should never root for your team to actively lose (Unless you want the coach to get fired, in which case the losing will probably happen anyway), it's a fine consolation benefit to losing. Like, with the Lions' loss to the Falcons yesterday—would it have been fun to win? Sure! Always great to see. But it also sure was nice to effectively lock up that #2 overall pick, so I'm not exactly too broken up about it.

But like most years in the NFL there’s no consensus “sure fire number 2 pick”. Yeah you can live by the Jimmy Johnson Value Chart which has that worth way more than the 4 pick I guess but honestly does it ultimately matter?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

But like most years in the NFL there’s no consensus “sure fire number 2 pick”. Yeah you can live by the Jimmy Johnson Value Chart which has that worth way more than the 4 pick I guess but honestly does it ultimately matter?

Counterpoint! One of the weakest components of the Lions' defense this year has been the fairly anemic pass rush. Part of that is due to injury, but there's a reason most mocks have been sending Huchinson or Thibodeaux to Detroit. Either of those two guys would be an awesome addition to the team and help massively with the ongoing rebuild, so personally I'm very happy to see that #2 pick locked up.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Nicks got a big dock to park his yacht

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Epic High Five posted:

COLTS! AROOO!

:yeah:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think it’s almost a lock that Hutchinson/Thibodeaux go 1/2in whatever order. After the top two picks it’s a bit of a mess.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The draft is such a crapshoot that it’s dumb to cheer for a higher position unless you’re in that 1-2-3 range. “Oh no, we have to draft our first round bust at 24 instead of 16, we’re doomed for the next decade.” Even the Ravens, who are pretty good at drafting, wind up with some stinkers a la Matt Elam. Try to win games and have a good time and let the pencil necks in the FO worry about pick value and all that poo poo.

e; gently caress even the top spots aren’t really worth it probably. The Jags and Jets flopped around last year trying to get the top QB and they still suck, and both QBs look like garbage too. SF traded up to 3 to take a guy that has barely seen the field. Also, teams like the Packers seem to do just fine drafting in the high 20s/low 30s each year. Quit letting Mel Kiper brainwash you into thinking anyone knows what the hell they’re doing when it comes to analyzing draft picks.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 27, 2021

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

That was Glennon.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What if every loss means you have a higher likelyhood of getting a top 3 pick so you want that but you gave away your pick this year to another team so you want to win so at least you aren't giving away that level of talent possibility but if you lose it is more likely there will be regime changes for your franchise that has been steadily spiraling for years now but if you win it is less likely you'll gently caress up the front office transition...

Asking for a friend.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Obvious answer is to make the entire draft order a lottery.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/ZoneTracks/status/1475569835027439616?t=OaSVkxu7usugXf9Ho72d6w&s=19

Things are going well

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/RealFRamirez/status/1475214477884682240?t=VgKkT9jSmtHMjx0y2SQyfg&s=19

Dude went through warmups with the team only to test positive for covid right before the game, there might not be anyone available for the broncos game

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

AndrewP posted:

I mean if the Ravens actually *beat* the Rams next week, that would probably indicate that they've gotten some guys back and can probably at least compete with most of the AFC playoff field. Actively rooting for them to lose is wild.

I'm just worried that if we're still alive for the playoffs we'll rush Lamar back and injure him even further

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think that over a decade or a coaches tenure it doesn't really matter - after all a good organisation is going to maximise whatever talent they do take. My counter argument to this though is in the 2020 NFL draft the Panthers badly wanted Herbert and in 2021 their top rated player was Sewell. In 2019 they won a game where Tennesse bizarrely missed something like 4 field goals (they lost by ten) and in 2020 they had this end of year revenge game where they beat Washington. In both drafts they missed out by a single draft position on the guy they wanted.

If in three years time Jaycee Horn picks off Herbert to return a pick 6 to win a superbowl and we have Matt Corral or Pickett under center I'm not going to lament the win against the Washington in the dog days of the 2020 season but when I see Sam Darnold and Cam Newton rotating in a huge loss where the offensive line gives up 7 sacks I can see the benefits of playing for the highest pick you can when your season is already over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Tua really went downhill once he could afford bodyguards to protect him from his dad.