Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Baker's...
This poll is closed.
dozen :bagl: 7 11.29%
the greatest QB in the AFC North! 6 9.68%
the future QB of The Washington Football Team 24 38.71%
just thrown me an interception? Woah! :potg: 25 40.32%
Total: 62 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Vikings beat packers early in the year, and the browns almost won last weekend. It’s possible but yeah not expecting them to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

kalensc posted:

Arizona still controls their division title destiny, so you'd need Rams winning @Bal and Cards losing @Dal (both certainly reasonable) next week in order for St. Louis (gently caress Kroenke) to rest folks in Wk18.

Technically speaking Arizona isn’t in control because they need the Rams to lose one of their two remaining games and they need to win out

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Vikings beat packers early in the year, and the browns almost won last weekend. It’s possible but yeah not expecting them to win

Vikings beat Packers only a few weeks ago. And both the Browns and a decimated Ravens roster almost beat them.

The Packers will need both Cook and Thielen to be out to maybe squeak out a 1 or 2 point win. The Vikings offense is the Packers’ kryptonite for some reason.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Vikings beat Packers only a few weeks ago. And both the Browns and a decimated Ravens roster almost beat them.

The Packers will need both Cook and Thielen to be out to maybe squeak out a 1 or 2 point win. The Vikings offense is the Packers’ kryptonite for some reason.

Packers definitely need the bye so I’m expecting them to put up a fight

But with rivals games who knows

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I dont think the Los Angeles Chargers are going to make the playoffs

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1475895234705997824?s=21

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

DariusLikewise posted:

Technically speaking Arizona isn’t in control because they need the Rams to lose one of their two remaining games and they need to win out

Sorry you're right. I meant to say that they have enough control to prevent the Rams from clinching prior to Wk18.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Lol a 1st round pick

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Owned

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Texans game was supposed to punch their ticket, so yeah, it's tough now. They basically need the Dolphins or Patriots to lose both remaining games while they beat both the Broncos and Raiders.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Wentz yelling "God Damnit Immunity!" while covid swarms him for the sack

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

COLTS! AROOO!

ShakeZula posted:

This guy gets it

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

a neat cape posted:

I dont think the Los Angeles Chargers are going to make the playoffs

They really hosed up about as hard as they could Sunday, huh

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chucktesla posted:

They really hosed up about as hard as they could Sunday, huh

Yup.

Excited for the offseason and some coaching consistency for Herbert though

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Yup.

Excited for the offseason and some coaching consistency for Herbert though

Herbert needs some minor seasoning.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Herbert needs some minor seasoning.

He's 23 and has only gotten better. Just needs to realize every pass doesn't need to be a missile.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

it's hosed up that I initially read that as "Ravens/COVID-19 list"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

AndrewP posted:

it's hosed up that I initially read that as "Ravens/COVID-19 list"

Would you prefer that?

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

I don't know what the chargers should do this offseason, it's murkier than last year when the plan after the season finished was very clearly give linsley a bunch of money in free agency, sign a couple guards and draft a left tackle. Half the roster isn't under contract next year and they can have almost 90 million in cap space after cuts and restructures so they can do a full rebuild of the defense around Bosa's and Derwin's skillsets that they didn't do last offseason. It'll be interesting to see how they blow it, at least

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chucktesla posted:

I don't know what the chargers should do this offseason, it's murkier than last year when the plan after the season finished was very clearly give linsley a bunch of money in free agency, sign a couple guards and draft a left tackle. Half the roster isn't under contract next year and they can have almost 90 million in cap space after cuts and restructures so they can do a full rebuild of the defense around Bosa's and Derwin's skillsets that they didn't do last offseason. It'll be interesting to see how they blow it, at least

They just need to bake at 300 for about 8 months and get healthy and get a little seasoned

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

They just need to bake at 300 for about 8 months and get healthy and get a little seasoned

Yup.

I'm very excited for 2022

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Would you prefer that?

He's saying Baltimore and plague football have been inseparable the past two years. It does funny things to your mind.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If only they and everybody here had listened to me and my calls for them to sign Cardale Jones

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

…And the higher second is just as if not more important than the higher first.

Not trying to pick on you, Kawa, but I was just thinking about the value (diminishing, in my estimation) of a higher draft position in each successive round. Things vary year by year of course, but it seems pretty objectively, mathematically clear to me that with each round the picks are less and less set, the consensus better players are less agreed upon, and general chaos and unpredictability lead to a diminished value of your draft position. Right? Like, picking 5th overall is surely more valuable than picking 10th, but is 45th overall that much better than 50th?

YMMV of course, and maybe you meant “in this specific upcoming draft” based upon who’s projected to be available in the middle of the 2nd, but if you meant this as a general truth I’d be interested to hear someone expand on that.

Racing Stripe fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 29, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Saying a higher second round pick is somehow more valuable than a higher first round pick is especially baffling considering the 5th year option that first round picks give a team.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Racing Stripe posted:

Not trying to pick on you, Kawa, but I was just thinking about the value (diminishing, in my estimation) of a higher draft position in each successive round. Things vary year by year of course, but it seems pretty objectively, mathematically clear to me that with each round the picks are less and less set, the consensus better players are less agreed upon, and general chaos and unpredictability lead to a diminished value of your draft position. Right? Like, picking 5th overall is surely more valuable than picking 10th, but is 45th overall that much better than 50th?

YMMV of course, and maybe you meant “in this specific upcoming draft” based upon who’s projected to be available in the middle of the 2nd, but if you meant this as a general truth I’d be interested to hear someone expand on that.

I mainly mean the first and second rounds. And this year Im more focused on that because the main reason the Ravens have crapped the bed this year is injuries. We might have been one of the main contenders this year if not for those and Lamars yips also.

So this is an offseason where we can reload and the higher the draft spot the more likely we can get someone we really want and where we are weak normally. Then next year we give it another go with hopefully less bad injuries and maybe Stanley can get healthy. And then we can be strong again if Lamar rebounds

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

In that season we had an excellent offensive line and nowhere near as many injuries in the secondary. We have several guys playing back there who dont even really belong on an nfl field. Im not sure we'd beat the worst nfl teams right now.

I do get it. I just dont see a playoff game for the Ravens even being fun to watch right about now.

they had a pretty lovely offensive line for a lot of that year. there's a reason why they shuffled the starting lineup when they went into the playoffs. they got pretty lucky with that gamble not only working, but guys like matt birk stringing together like 4 of the best games of their career. you would not have been able to forecast that going into the 2012 playoffs

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The Ravens have 10 draft picks next year, including 5 in the 4th. If they’re 24th or something and want to move up to 17 or whatever it’ll be trivial for them to do so. With the way the FO works making the playoffs or bagging a key player at a critical position is not an either-or proposition and it’s stupid to think so.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

they had a pretty lovely offensive line for a lot of that year. there's a reason why they shuffled the starting lineup when they went into the playoffs. they got pretty lucky with that gamble not only working, but guys like matt birk stringing together like 4 of the best games of their career. you would not have been able to forecast that going into the 2012 playoffs

Matt Birk was a highly regarded center and 6 time pro-bowler so it wasn't that unreal that he had one more string like that in him. The big surprise on that line, and the most important of all, was Bryant McKinnie. Osemele was a 2nd round draft pick who we knew had potential and Yanda had proven himself a great player by then. But McKinnie finally lived up to his billing in that postseason and played like the dominant player that got him drafted 7th overall in 2002.

This team doesn't have a Bryant McKinnie to live up to that billing. Just Villanueva who isn't going to do that. We don't have a Marshall Yanda though Zeitler is solid. We might have a Kelechi Osemele with Ben Cleveland. And Bradley Bozeman is ok when healthy but never had that peak of a career like Birk had. Mekari may be better than Oher. That unit had four guys play at a pro bowl or higher level. And our secondary also wasn't a bunch of PS guys and had Ed Reed on it even though he was on his last legs.

Freaquency posted:

The Ravens have 10 draft picks next year, including 5 in the 4th. If they’re 24th or something and want to move up to 17 or whatever it’ll be trivial for them to do so. With the way the FO works making the playoffs or bagging a key player at a critical position is not an either-or proposition and it’s stupid to think so.

And if we're 17 it'll be easier to move up even higher to maybe select a player at a position who is best in the draft. And imagine if we come back as a contender with a top pick on top of that.

Normally I think it's better to develop the players you have rather than tank for a higher pick. But my exception is when your failing is primarily due to a lot of injuries. Because then you can really reload.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 29, 2021

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Nobody knows who the gently caress is better in the draft, it’s all a gamble anyway. I don’t think anything demonstrably changes for the Ravens if they take, like, Toney and Kwity Paye instead of Bateman and Oweh. Getting to watch your team play more football in January is cool, hoping to lose so you have a chance at a pick that some bullshit analytics says is 3.2% more valuable is decidedly less so.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Teams have scouts and other guys assessing the draft. And there have been GMs who are real bad at it and always picking turkeys. I trust our guys to some extent and want them to have the best pick possible. And like you said they can move up. So no I don't know who the best guys in the draft are but the team has some idea.

I like watching us play in January but not with this secondary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I swear the Bengals have gotten more good players out of the fourth round than the second round and I don't understand why.