Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a half-assembled Karona deck I really want to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I built a Pako and Haldan deck and my first time playing them was in a five player game. I attacked with Pako and he was instantly a 7/7, then on the next turn I cast Seize the Day and then flashed it back to just murder someone with my huge dog. It was fun but it wasn't fun, you know? I haven't played it since.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Railing Kill posted:

I still need to build Pako and Hadlan. This sounds fun to me because you're getting weird, random poo poo from your opponents too. Doggo gets out of hand in terms of commander damage for sure, but the deck is doing a lot more than just "Hatred for 21. You die."

Given that Hatred is not available to the deck, yeah

But trust me, it does not work the way you think it does. It is a commander damage deck. Pako gets huge insanely fast even if you're in a 3 player game. Haldan is basically just an afterthought. You'll get so many cards to play that you won't even bother with it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Railing Kill posted:

Hatred was more about Bust Rodd's Grevan deck as an example that touched off the voltron conversation, not about P/H specifically.

I see, sorry

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I cracked full arts of Rhoda and Timin so I guess I'm building a tapdown tribal Azorius deck :buddy:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I run both of the white and blue medallions in my Azorius deck. I went really hard on the cost reduction angle rather than ramp since those colors are bad at ramping but they're hungry for colored mana (white especially, many white spells have at least two pips.) I really think they're generally superior to most Mana rocks. They lose potency at higher numbers of colors, but in a 1-2 color deck I am always happy to see them. If I can get both out it's effectively knocking off a commander tax which can itself be a big deal.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I use Felisa as a commander and Inkshield is especially great with her. Tons of Inklings

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Good to note that Felisa triggers off of any counters. I run Icatian Moneychanger in my deck and my friends laughed at it until I got him out turn 1 and Mentored him and then sacked him at my upkeep, gained a ton of life and he exploded into a thousand (tapped :smith: ) Inklings

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ignite Memories posted:

By 'a thousand' do you mean 'five', or is there a piece of the puzzle i'm missing?

I am exaggerating for effect. But he just sits there and accrues counters easily and people tend to ignore him. He has become an exile target under Felisa now. If you have other ways to put counters on him (even Ikoria keyword counters, etc.) he has a built in sac outlet (only at upkeep, but still) and can provide a small army of Inklings.

It's not a high power card by any means but people tend to underestimate how quickly he builds up if you get him out early. Even if he only makes it one round you can sac him for 3 Inklings on your next upkeep.

Edit: basically if you get him out turn 1 he starts with 3 counters. If you get Felisa out on turn 4, he's got 6. Sac him at your next upkeep, he'll have 7 counters, you gain 7 life and make 7 Inklings. They are tapped, but for an investment of 1 Mana and 3 life, that's not bad to churn out 7 fliers. Being 0 power helps with Mentor triggers too

Heath fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 3, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They're still good!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grevlek posted:

It feels like the CL familiars would have been better served being companions than partners.

You wanna bet they originally were, and then they slammed the brakes on it after Ikoria?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I really wish I could participate in a Conspiracy draft. That set was before my time but I love all the cards from it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

I mentioned how mediocre my decks felt when playing against someone that clearly had much better tuned decks. I've always been a pretty lousy at putting decks together, so what are some commanders you guys would recommend building around so that I can try honing that skill? We've talked about things like having good pieces of interaction in a deck (in sufficient amounts) and I've asked about using the Game Knights template as a starting point, but what are some other good things to keep in mind?

E: I guess I'm just susceptible to falling into the trap of adding cards to a deck that might work within a theme but are either not that great (overcosted, for example), or don't really help further my game plan in a significant way.

Here's my build pathway:

If I've chosen or am choosing a commander, I look at my proposed deck idea and ask this:

How much of my strategy revolves around the Commander itself?

This is the most important thing, in my opinion, because it's going to have the most influence over your deckbuilding pathway. For example, I have a Marchesa, the Black Rose rogues tribal deck. The deck functions perfectly well if I never cast Marchesa at all, because the focus of the deck is entirely on synergies that rogue creatures naturally have with each other, which it turns out are a lot. You'll note that even though the deck is rogue tribal, the commander herself is not even a rogue, she's a wizard. But her ability enables the shenanigans of other rogues, because a lot of them have ETB triggers, and her ability allows me to recur those rogues and get them to reenter the battlefield. It simply adds value, it doesn't depend on the commander. She also gives me the colors I want (Grixis.) I had Anowon as the commander originally, but I decided that I was missing out on not being able to use all of the red rogues and having access to haste effects, which are important for an aggressive deck. I would put this commander's necessity level at low-medium.

Next tier up I have a Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate deck. Linvala on her own doesn't do much, but she is an aggressive 3/3 flier that I can get out early. My deck is in Azorius colors and ramps poorly and is more a sort of battlecruiser archetype, so Linvala's function is to protect my board while I build up the resources to get out my big beater angels and other high-costed stuff. I also run a lot of board wipes to suppress my opponents, but what Linvala does is make them asymmetrical so I don't lose investments in my big creatures by blowing them up. Her whole job is to protect. The deck can work without her, but it's definitely hindered and I'm left open by her not being there. As such, my buildpath has a lot of redundancies and recursion, as well as cost reduction, to counter or avoid commander tax as much as possible. The deck isn't totally dead if she's not there, but it's really crippled by her not being around. I would put her necessity level at medium.

Third I have a Dina, Soul Steeper lifegain-drain deck. The entire deck is built around incidental lifegain cards like Lifegift, Roots of Life-Urborg combo, Pristine Talisman, etc. When I gain life, everybody loses 1 life. I have included every single card in the game that has that exact text on it (three, it turns out) so that I have some redundancy, because if Dina isn't draining life from people, the deck just spins its wheels and I gain life but I don't win. I do have a few other failsafes in there with Exsanguinate and Beledros Witherbloom, which is usually a game ender, but the deck is very much primarily built around Dina being out. It really sails with that line of text suppressing the board. I would put her necessity at medium-high.

Finally I have a Mairsil, the Pretender deck. Marisil is often the only creature, and very often the only nonland permanent, I have on the board at any given time. He absolutely, positively needs to stay on the board at all costs. If I can't get him rolling, the deck is dead, period. All of the cards in the deck are tuned specifically to work with his very unique text and are almost worthless in just about any other deck (who the hell else is gonna run Farmstead Gleaner?) Marisil's necessity level is 100%, absolutely necessary.

This is all variable, of course. But this is typically where I start with building a deck. I look at the commander and think, just how necessary is it this guy gets out every single game, every single time? If this commander abso-posi-lutely needs to be out, you're going to want to devote a sizable portion of your deck to removal and protection, preferably instant speed, low CMC stuff, and cheap counterspells. Start here first, then make adjustments as necessary. Included in this is how many colors your commander has. Getting screwed out of one color that you need to cast your commander is a huge bummer. If you're 3 or more colors, make sure you have a way to at least filter a color you need, same if they happen to have more than one pip of a particular color.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I mean, you could absolutely do a Grixis Marchesa treasure deck...

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got to see Wedding Ring in action for the first time yesterday. I got one and just stuck it in my Jared Carthalion deck because hey, it has white in it. Turns out Wedding Ring + Monarch is great

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Mitch, Jesus loving Christ, please go back to using a script, holy poo poo

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

They doing the Neon Genesis Kamigawa thing today?

He posted a video about some new leaks and it's gotten to the point where I click his videos and then just skip to where the new cards are just to see what they say. Ever since he's stopped scripting his episodes he is so obviously trying desperately to fill out time and between every words is "so, yeah, actually, basically, essentially, yeeeeah"

I can forgive vocal tics but if you're going to make the pretense of being a professional talker you need to work on reducing those things and he's just gotten worse over time

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Framboise posted:

I watched a Mitch video earlier today (haven't watched anything from him in almost a year) because I was morbidly curious about the $10 Zurgo deck and it's just a bunch of overcosted wraths. Doesn't even seem to post the cost of cards anymore and it took him about 4 and a half minutes before he even started talking about the cards.

The entire channel is basically half-assedly throwing out possible uses for unconfirmed spoiled cards within 10 minutes of them coming up on Reddit, clickbait poo poo and videos about ... Fake cards people made up and going "wow, wouldn't this be a cool commander if it were real?" I don't know about you guys but I could not give less of a poo poo about cards that aren't even real.

I basically only click his videos when they've got spoiled cards I haven't seen yet anymore. Sometimes I go back and look at his videos from pre-covid and it's crazy just how straightforward and useful they are in comparison to the stuff he puts out now

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Party Miser posted:

which one is Mitch so i know to avoid?

Commander's Quarters

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No, I think all that came afterward. He started the clickbait stuff right after lockdown began. I'm assuming he did it as part of trying to take the channel toward being a full-time occupation. Which, sure, respect the hustle. But there's a ton to talk about that isn't just trying to game the algorithm.

One guy I enjoy is EDH Deckbuilding, because he makes a focus on highlighting stuff that might otherwise get overlooked and on commanders you might not normally even glance at. Here's his most recent one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HUJyWmEmnk

He's very straightforward, explains his thought process on how a card can be used, and outlines synergies. He's definitely not building for power but he does encourage diversity. And he's relatively recent on the scene (I think he's only been "around" about a year and a half?)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Shortest Path posted:

Lol I took a look at the discord and it had ten entire people in it.

This all happened like eight months ago (I think) so I'm sure it's died on the vine by now

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Sol Ring is only legal because it's readily available and it's kind of just understood that nearly everyone will have it in their deck. Regardless of your opinion of it, not having one is the exception, not the rule.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t let blogs tell me how to play magic, I feel like most people don’t

Doesn't stop people from being mad about it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Toshimo posted:

Unironically, someone explain to me why everyone is trying to pretend like Toxrill is A Thing.

"A Thing" in what sense?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Toshimo posted:

I'm but I keep seeing passing references to it being the new hot ticket everyone is either afraid of or wants to build around and that seems ludicrous to me as it's a massively overcosted durdle.

I'm gonna laugh my rear end off if the Big Deal about it is that you can Kormus Bell to wipe people which is like the dumbest slowest 3-card combo that doesn't even end the game.

It's oppressive but the buildup for it is massive. Plus, Kormus Bell + Urborg + board wipe has always been an available combo, and probably for cheaper than 7 Mana or whatever he costs.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grevlek posted:

100 percent that's what it is.

I have something like that in Hanna, and have never triggered it even once. An anthem + enchanted evening + opalescence would be a one sided land wipe leaving me with like, several 1/1s and a few beefier enchantments. The one time I got enchanted evening and opalescence on the board, mostly out of spite, still left me with 2 other players with flying dragon boards and a chonky uril and I had no hope of winning, just dragged out the game for the other two players.

I guess toxrill is better in the sense that if you've got your setup, when it hits the board you will get your wipe assuming it makes it to the end step. Good players probably will treat toxrill like any other KOS commander and hold up a counter or a removal or something. Bad players will crumble to the fact that they don't have any interaction, didn't plan for what they would do when the 7 cmc commander came out, and play a land, pass, and then have the land die at the end of their turn.

I still want to do my hanna version of it in a real game, but i never get all 3 pieces for the critical mass combo and i dont think i'd win even if i did it.

Enchanted Evening + Cleansing Meditation is a better, easier version of this.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grevlek posted:

hmm cleansing meditation never came up in my deck building process... must be a reserve list card let's check the price... a dollar fifty....

hello tcgplayer one cleansing meditation plz.

do i need to meet threshold before i cast the spell?

Yes, but that's not hard to do. The "Instead" part makes it necessary to have Threshold first.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I cannot wait for Tergrid to get banned because the whining will dwarf any amount of complaints about her being unfun

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grevlek posted:

:hmmyes: it's not even like a trapcard, you know its there. Especially after the additional companion tax thing.

It's not that it's unreasonably powerful, it's that it gives a free extra card to any deck running UR, which is kind of against the spirit of the game even if it's not breaking anything. Although I think the companion tax makes a better case for it not being banned.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Surely humble Reserved List card Tithe is not ban worthy?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

pseudanonymous posted:

That is how they work.

Partners + companion + gitaxian probe = 96 card deck.

Companions explicitly do not count toward your card total.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's no wonder you would make that mistake since companions are loving stupid

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

pseudanonymous posted:

Get a coin flipping app and use dry erase tokens cards.

I think his complaint is that every coin flipping thing takes an eternity to resolve even with your phone

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A guy in my group recently built a coin flip deck and while it's not Sakrark it is a deck I love in concept but MAN it makes each turn drag, especially if he's actually flipping. It gets real old real quick.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yes but I don't think you will get significantly more copies out of it since the new ones will be tokens and won't trigger Necroduality.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Jiro posted:

His Tabletop Jocks episodes of stuff out so far are rough on the edges as far as sound quality goes, but is nice in the representation of POC hanging out playing Magic. I haven't been able to finish a full ep because I can't hear what the hell is going on.

Yeah, everybody kind of mutters and it's very hard to tell what's being said over the ambient noise/music

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
These new ninjas and Kaito Shizuki might actually make Etrata viable as a commander

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

How so? Because she's unblockable so she guarantees you can Ninjutsu something in?

That's generally how you get her to work as a commander. You let her hit and do the damage, and in response to her trigger, ninjutsu her back to your hand before you shuffle her in. Satoru Umezawa giving everything ninjutsu gives you much more in the way of options (including ninjutsu-ing Etrata herself) and Kaito's ult would give you a good way to repeatedly tutor her back to the battlefield if she does get shuffled in, if you can get him there. Will have to see what else shakes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my in-person playgroup isn't super cutthroat and we're welcoming a new guy in who's entirely new to the game so i'm building a fun Jared Carthalion deck

it looks like the challenge is going to be designing a pile that isn't just a punching bag; i'm thinking curses instead of any kinda pillowforty stuff but i'm wondering how easy it'll be to incentivize attacking someone else when i'm the monarch

any of y'all have any experience with jerry, or seen him in the wild?

The problem I've faced is that getting monarch and keeping it can be kind of a challenge. Trailblazer's Boots are fantastic equipment for Jared in commander and come highly recommended. Run all 3 of the available Thrones, Blasphemous Act, Chandra's Ignition, and Mayael's Aria. I also strongly recommend Pariah and cast it on Jared so that no one can easily take Monarch from you as long as Jared is alive.