Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hey commander thread! I just played a weekend full of commander so I've got the itch to build my own deck, now that my Sliver Me Timbers deck is complete.

I want to build a mill deck based around Grolnok. I've never built a mill deck, and also have only been playing commander for a few months; before they I stopped playing right when Planeswalkers came out. So... I don't have much commander knowledge, or a lot of 'new' card mechanics(Monstrous? wut), or even a lot of the basic cards (I think I own exactly one Sol Ring...).

Was hoping for tips/tricks to build the deck, and maybe if there's somewhere with a kind of beginner Commander knowledge, if that thing exists.

Oh and also, any recs for an online place to buy sleeves/card boxes? I want to get pirate themed stuff for my Slivers deck... :allears:

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Most excellent, thanks for the tips!

I know the like absolute basics about Commander regarding ramping, general card ratios and whatnot, I guess I should've specified that more mechanics based tips/tricks were what I need help with, since I'm so fuckin out of the loop :psyduck: I just got my first Planeswalker, ever, yesterday in a trade, so :derp: I've got some random mill stuff here and there so I should see what I have available first, I guess!

Question though: I'm not quite sure what "new player Grolnok heuristics" is, is that a specific guide, or?

Balon posted:

just search for Commander Mechanic on the tubes.

Oh this channel looks right up my alley, +1 subscriber and I'm sure I'll use a referral link or two from you!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

This is the Grolnok deck Jon Suarez played back in November 2021: https://old.starcitygames.com/decks/154823

Might have some good ideas? I believe he won the match of Commander VS he played with it, whatever that's worth.

Excellent, also very helpful!

Dumb commander question: what does a "tribal" deck mean?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

The only thing that seems interesting to me in Grolnok space is aggressively tutoring for Hermit Druid and then exiling my entire deck basically casting as much of it as I can, but the deck only functions with a truly unreasonable mana base.

This is what I'm going to go for, I'm thinking. Probably vary the number of basic land cards to test out milling 1/4, or 1/3, etc etc.

I don't really give a poo poo about the frog creature type, I just want to have my entire deck be playable any time and make my friends quake in fear :getin:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

https://mtgazone.com/streets-of-new-capenna-early-preview/

:swoon:

well i think i know what will be the first box that i purchase, holy poo poo i'm in love with this art

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Here's my upcoming Grolnok deck, I welcome any feedback!

I definitely read him wrong when I first built the deck, and missed the "permanents" part on what gets a croak counter :doh: The Sideboard are cards a buddy is giving me, while the Considering list is everything I need to track down. I went no instants/sorceries, with the goal be to exponentially increase the croaked cards until you can find a win condition of drawing out, or until you overwhelm the board with frogsects or frogbats, from Crawling * or from Desecrated Tomb.

I didn't want it to always be "draw until you find Thassa's Oracle/Hermit Druid/Jace, so I added in a bit of creature fun to mix it up. Hoping to have it built by this weekend and played ASAP :toot:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/l5yCwnqDHUGv93reiBnPzQ

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Played my Grolnok deck yesterday and it slaps :frogc00l:

I used a card editor website and turned Grolnok into hypnotoad, that's probably my proudest magic moment

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Well I'm pretty sold on snagging at least one of these boxes, thanks thread!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TotalHell posted:

I also missed the early bird signed box due to KS shenanigans, but that’s alright. The box looks cool, and I don’t currently own any proper deck boxes, so I’m happy to have this as my first.

Yeah I'm only buying one, cause I'm in camp Stanley Toolbox for storing multiple decks, but having a nice fancy one will make me feel cool

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Framboise posted:

In a similar vein, what influences your choice in commander? Liking the character? Their colors? Their mechanics? The theme of the deck you build around them?

I tend to have the most fun with decks centered around the mechanics primarily, but if the character looks neat or has a neat theme, I'll lean toward that next.

I've been a bit of mechanics/themed, so far. Grolnok was mainly because of the mechanic, but I've been having fun with doing little art printouts, like turning Grolnok into Hypnotoad, and Shorikai into Eva Unit 01.

I built Shorikai, Genesis Engine, and that was 100% because I wanted to make a deck entitled GET IN THE ROBOT SHINJI (thanks Rebel for that idea :swoon:)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

theironjef posted:

I got into Commander entirely because I used to play in school during the Mirage block, and I was mad back then because I could never get enough slivers or figure out how to make them work, so now I just sit around tuning sliver tribals.

Yooooo are you me?? I got back into magic for about a year in college, put together an OG sliver deck, then first thing I did when I got into commander was sliver it up.

Let's trade our forbidden sliver knowledge :twisted:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

theironjef posted:

Can't imagine I have any secret knowledge, I'm terrible at this game. I assembled Infinite Sliver Queen a while back, but dismantled it after it went off a few times. Now I run a Voltron hivelord deck that uses those weird dual-color enchantments from the Lorwyn block and a bunch of other stuff that takes advantage of rainbow times, that one's for friendlier games, and a Sliver Overlord deck for tutoring and sliver theft shenanigans(I know it's jank but using Shields of Velis Vel to turn all of an opponent's creatures into every creature type and then using Overlord to call the slivers home is so satisfying when it works).

:hmmyes:

Turning other's creatures into slivers then ringing the dinner bell to call them back home is so satisfying.

I like to think of Slivers as both spells and creatures, and as such have a very small number of non-sliver spells in my deck.

I think I'm only missing 2/3 sliver cards, need to find The First Sliver somewhere. Holding onto my extra Overlord for trading in the future; I traded a Queen to my buddy and he's basically been building my decks with the IOU amount he offered me, lol.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Stupid question about The Professor's Academic Kickstarter deck box: I would like to purchase the standard deckbox, the sizemorph divider in kickstarter white, then the kickstarter special tokens. I don't really want the life counter thingy. Am I reading the kickstarter correctly, that if I change my pledge amount to those individual items total ($49+$5+$18) then I'm good to go? I've backed uhh one thing on kickstarter and have no idea what I'm doing, lol

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Robviously posted:

They updated it where if you manage your pledge and just pick the same reward you did, you can fiddle with the add-ons. Instructions are under Update 8, I think, and it does the math for you

Ah most excellent, thank you! I didn't read any of the updates, so... yup :nexus:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^^ any artifact being tapped and deactivating it was a super early mechanic, like beta, wasn't it?

Played a game with my new Shorikai vehicles deck and drat does it feel good when your board is popping off.

Got boardwiped twice, and both following turns my board just filled up immediately like nothing happened :getin:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

berenzen posted:

For 7 mana, he should be devestating to all opponents. He should be a win condition one he hits the field.

:thunk:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chakan posted:

got my 98 mountain ashling deck perfectly.

https://twitter.com/edhrec/status/1509889916980764680

My friend shared this with our group and it's given literally every deck of theirs a 7

Derevi, Marisi, Ezuri, all top tier decks, still got 7s

That thing is not good, lol

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah but a Seven Point What?

It's pretty well known all decks in commander are 7s, they range from a 7.0 - a pile of cards worse than a precon, up to a 7.9, a cEDH deck.

Technowolf posted:

Check the date, mate

Lol I didn't even think about the thread title or today's date when I posted earlier :doh:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

When do they finally get to the point of them doing cards based on literal sponsors like:

Skillshare
Sorcery
U
You draw 2 cards. Target opponent draws 1.

Audible
Instant
G
Target creature you control gains vigilance until end of turn.

Blue Apron
Artifact - Equipment
At the beginning of your upkeep, if this is equipped, create two food tokens.
Equip 5

Squarespace
Land
1, Tap: Put a storage counter on this land.

Put the hyperlinks on the cardboard you cowards.

Why would you bring this evil into the world!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

fadam posted:

Now that's paper.

I've finally started to dig into the spoilers and there are so many great cards I want to jam into the mono red control deck I'm building :yum:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So when new sets come out, do they also sell a like, bundle of all the commander decks, or are those just sold solo?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Well hot drat, looks like I gotta go to the pledge manager (ughhh) and figure out how to get one of those fly new colours :swoon:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Now I'm thinking of getting a double-sized one because that should be enough to hold (single-sleeved) 4 decks and a scenario for Marvel Champions or Arkham Horror.

I hadn't really looked at any of the new colour options and now I'm eyeing both the teal/pink and the grey/red and I'm like fuuuuuuuuuuuuck I shouldn't buy two but hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh I just might cause I have no self control for well made and pretty things

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s probably the last deck box I’ll ever buy, so I’m considering splurging a little. It’s also the only time I’ve ever given the Prof a dime for the 5+ years I’ve been watching his content

Yeah this is kind of how I'm viewing it, like I'll probably only use those cheapo toolboxes for storage after this so why not splurge a little? Currently amping myself up to pledge for a second box. Already getting the library playmat and those cool tokens :getin:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Elysiume posted:

The one time I went to the MtG club in my college someone did this to me. His deck cost more than everyone else's put together and the other players were unwilling to focus him and he won every game he played with trivial ease. I never went back.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Like, how is that fun for anyone involved, including the deck owner? And then just playing that same deck multiple times? :psyduck:

I've merged two playgroups together and for a New Capenna release party it'll be like 3.5 groups all playing together and every group before starting always asks how hard/spicy we're gonna go.

And when a deck just gets to go off from turn 1 yeah you cheese it up and let it roll cause that feeling is so loving goooooooood when it happens to you

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I roll a die as a joke if nobody has any blockers, it's basically a chump attack, and it's like turn 2. I expect to get called a coward, it's mostly just a joke, but it's definitely come back to bite me in the end, lol.

I was playing a bit ago and one player could've taken out another, who arguably had the strongest deck (just not at the time) but instead he swung his player-killing creature at me so it could get chump blocked. That kind of soured me on that game, cause then the person with the strongest deck... won. After like half an hour of just those two players playing. :psyduck:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So now that preorders for New Capenna stuff are available, I was hoping for a bit of info on the different types of boosters, specifically draft vs. set. I'm already planning on buying a collector booster box, probably one commander deck, and then a box of either the draft/set boosters.

I've read this link to get a sense for them, but I dunno, I guess.. I still don't see a large difference between the two? Is The List cards in the set boosters the biggest draw for them? There are more rare possibilities from the set boosters but at the tradeoff of the basic lands, right? Do the triome lands count as 'basic lands' or would those be rare cards?

Someone please help me budget this, my family is starvingin Halo withdrawal!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Triomes are Rare and therefore not in the basic land slot.

Cool beans, thanks!

I guess I just need to decide if I'm going to buy both a set and a booster, or just one or the other. Buying both will probably zero out my cardboard budget for the rest of the year, since I've gone kinda ham recently, but also I love all of the everything of New Capenna so... :psyduck:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TotalHell posted:

Set boosters have a guaranteed foil, are the only packs that can contain List cards (at something like 1/4 having a list card?) and I believe guarantee alternate art frames etc. So yeah you have a slim chance at multiple rare from various slots (foil, alt-art, etc). I’m also guessing Set boosters will be the only way to get the alt-art basic lands, since that’s how it was in Kamigawa Neon Dynasty.

Draft boosters don’t have List cards, and don’t guarantee a foil, but you ultimately get more cards (mostly commons, but maybe that matters to you), AND in general you at least have a shot at alt-art treatments etc, it just won’t be as prevalent as in Sets.

If you just want a bunch of cards (or, you know, you’re drafting) get Draft. If you want a bunch of PRETTY cards, get Set.

Most excellent, thanks for that info. That makes a bit more sense to me, now. And I both want a bunch of cards, AND a bunch of pretty cards. Sooooo that probably means goodbye to my budget for the rest of the year! :homebrew:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pre-ordered New Capenna stuff yesterday :homebrew:

Then I bought a kamigawa set booster on a whim
and snagged a Boseiju, Who Endures and some $12 zombie wizard card, hopefully that good luck will continue when I open the Capenna stuff! :getin:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Something exploring the artists more would be cool, or how the people at WotC come up with new cards, like the behind the scenes

Dunno if those exist already?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TheLawinator posted:

Putting the new triland in each of the precons is such a nobrainer in terms of balancing out the value they put in those decks.

yeah i'm pretty salty about this. it'd be ONE of the fancy lands and they couldn't even throw that bone? gently caress all the way off :mad:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jiro posted:

MTG adjacent news:

On our way home nestled in a corner of my tree in the front yard was this lil guy.

We played against Oloro stax while my GF played Rin and Seri Cat/Dog and I played Mono White Voltron modified from the '14 precon.

Lost a bunch had a good time, and this kitty's name is Naya.

She is barely 4 weeks old. In good health and spirits we will give her a good home.

Jiro posted:

Moar smollness

omg :3:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Had a fun party last night with 12 people playing games, some of us did precons +25$ so that was a fun framework to work in.

Jetmir went OFF my first game with him, did 200+ damage toreach opponent just one after another :getin:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Heath posted:

Karona the False God goad tribal

Weird way to spell Marisi

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Heath posted:

Marisi is in the 99 :colbert:

:hai:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

General MTG rules question regarding priority and the stack: if I cast a spell can I just immediately hold priority? Or does it have to go around the other players before I can continue? I think it's the former but I'm not 100% so am hoping for a clarification.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Yes, if you are the active player, you can hold priority and get first response.

Excellent, thank you for confirming!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Quick rules question - when Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker creates a copy of Anarchist, it's ETB triggers, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Framboise posted:

Yes. A copy of a creature has the same text as that creature unless stated otherwise. This is how some infinite combos work with Kiki-Jiki, such as copying Pestermite to continually untap Kiki-Jiki with each copy's ETB.

That's what I thought, thank you!

I just wanted to double check before I 'brag' about the 1v1 commander game I just had. I wanna brag because I've never gone infinite before in a deck that I created, this deck has NEVER popped off before, has only lost, and then to top it off I actually didn't even realize that I had one infinite combo in my deck, let alone at least two!*

I made a mono red control deck with Starke of Rath as my commander, based on Prof's video of it. My buddy was playing Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun. My buddy's deck was popping OFF, he was making flying sharks and copying spells to make more sharks, and was about to get Marit Lage out, so I was sweating. I don't have much, I played a Sunbird's Invocation, super cool, I also got out my Hematite Talisman which as I played it I actually said "dunno if this really fits with my deck but let's see!" so on his turn he copied more spells and let me make a copy of my Sunbird's Invocation.

I play Kiki-Jiki, luck into a Jeska's Will for the first trigger of Sunbird, hell yeah. Second trigger gives me Anarchist. So I play Jeska's again from that ETB, use some floating Jeska's Will mana on Hematite Talisman to untap Kiki-Jiki and do it again, and my buddy points out uh... I have an infinite mana combo there. And that also let's me exile my entire deck and play everything. And... I can also get infinite Anarchist creatures with haste... :derp:

I'm super fuckin hyphy about this so I wanted to tell it to people who would understand, I told my partner about the entire thing and her eyes glazed over in about two seconds since she hasn't played a single game of MtG, lol

* Fake edit - didn't realize there were infinite combos in the deck that Prof didn't point out in the video.