Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
is Garth any good as a commander?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He tried to spin off his own format and accidentally grabbed the Alt Right third rail. Everyone distanced themselves from that and WotC even revoked his preview cards.

lmao what. and i actually saw a few of his videos and was like "hmm some of these decks are interesting in comparison to what i've seen so far"

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

What are decent cards to get to upgrade the Wilhelt precon in terms of like sub $10 cards and sub $50 cards?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

cheers. also holy poo poo poppet stitcher is busted as gently caress. i guess i should get Ashnod's altar as well.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Railing Kill posted:

Ashnod's Altar is a card that's hard to have too many copies of. It's good even in decks that don't make it their business to kill their own creatures.

it is also going to be in a pauper deck of mine. i really should get like 4-5 copies of it for the hell of it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

playing casual competitively, and competitive casually.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

ban any card with a price over $30

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Can I use Dimir Aqueduct to target a land that i can then tap and sacrifice to use it's effect like evolving wilds without some sort of weird interference? I'm not sure if it going into my hand is a requirement or just having it as a target.

Example: Dimir Aqueduct > Evolving Wilds, tap Wilds and sac it to find a land to put into play.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

If I have Necroduality out and create two Cleaver Skaab because of it, can I then use the Cleaver Skaab on the other and make more? all these zombie ideas are so loving nasty i love it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

it's more about getting a few on the field so that i can chop up other zombies that might benefit from splitting, things like +1/+1 aura dudes, poppet factory would also benefit from this, champion of the perished, fleshbag marauder, undead alchemist, assuming tokens get the ETB effect.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

when you play toxic decks, you become a toxic person.

except for me.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

im considering checking out Neo Kami but honestly im unsure of it. only thing im interested is the satoru umezawa card art and the lands art. they're real pretty and i want a fat stack of them foil.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m gonna be honest, Im in the process of selling some of my EDH decks and thinking of taking the year off. I was really unhappy with the last year of products outside of a few cards, and don’t feel a connection to any new planes or characters because the one-&-done blocks don’t give you any time to put down roots.

But the art in Neo-Kami is absolutely blowing my mind and I am back to considering buying a box just because holy gently caress this set is firing on every cylinder for artwise, and I hadn’t realized how much I missed connecting to a magical plane through the art until I saw good art on magic cards again.

That's how i felt with the innistrad stuff. Im not a fan of werewolves, vampires, etc, and the set doesn't really has anything that tickles my fancy.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think Gavin is a big “reprint our mistakes” kind of guy. Dockside has proven to be a pretty big mistake. If the once & future king of Magic (who considers themselves a Commander player first) is openly acknowledging that Dockside is too good, I doubt he’d jam it into more decks. We’ll see a fixed version of dockside before we see a reprint… and I’d toxxx in that if there weren’t secret lairs

My stance is that if they think a card is a mistake, then it should be banned in all formats. why refuse to reprint an obscenely powerful card but also refuse to ban it?

Framboise posted:

I'm just sad there aren't enough good dog and cat cards to actually make Rin and Seri reasonably viable.

if you think about it, anything can be a dog or a cat.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Also i heard that boros was like one of the weakest types and i was kinda interested in looking at their commanders but now im under the belief that it's the weakest because their commanders are just extremely boring.

most of them are just "human dude" or "human dude in armor".

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

do people ever leak fake cards and such? would be funny to gently caress people over with interesting or cool cards that won't exist.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

it goes back to the commander zone but still hits on death triggers from what i heard. it's a weird rule with people trying to steal commanders when they hit the GY.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Considering breaking up my Prosper deck. I wanted to focus a lot on just generating treasure tokens but my goal after that was nonexistant. a fat majority of the deck is proxies so it doesn't bother me much but it's still upsetting that my idea didn't come to fruition.

just glad i didn't loving buy dockside, ragavan, etc.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Jiro posted:

Just get a Dark Depths, Marionette Master, and a bunch of other dumb ,mana, expensive devastating poo poo to swing around with all that money Uncle Scrooge. Even a Ghirapur Aethergrid is going to have a hilariously nasty effect.

https://archidekt.com/decks/1699947#Prosper_Work_in_Progress

That's my upgraded Prosper in it's current form. Unsure if I want to stick a big dumb expensive Eldrazi in there, but it's fun to pilot around and just acrue a gently caress ton of treasures per turn when one or two pieces are out on the board.

What's neat is there are so many different pieces that will just net you treasure for doing things I don't really need to worry about not having one or two certain pieces, outside of Prosper, to just start generating money.

Thanks. gonna keep a note on this whenever i decide to rebuild it. maybe i should preemptively keep revel in riches, grim hireling, and similar cards "just in case"

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

how do you even get full arts of cards like grim hireling and prosper? are they in the boosters as well?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

got my fat stack of pauper edh cards from a guy. he put in ashnod's altar and somehow didn't put it on the trade list.

i have one altar now and one i just bought on TCGPlayer so i guess i gotta somehow benefit from the other one in my future garth deck or my zombies one.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Never trust a Sheldon.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Ironic that WOTC doesn't like the Prof much because he's honestly critical of all the bullshit they keep trying to pull.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Is that even true though? I’ve never seen anything to show that WOTC is stiff arming him because of his critiques.

To be fair all the claims come from the Professor's mouth himself. He claims that WOTC won't send him any more promotional things due to past criticisms of their products, including some employees complaining to him about things he's said about things, which i think was about how poor their card production used to be and how cards either used to be printed really dark and ugly, or foils being severely curled.

Honestly though I doubt he's bullshitting.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

WotC has a history of punishing any one who isn’t a wholehearted cheerleader.

That's hosed up. I bet no other company does this sort of thing. How shameful.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

You would think that rewarding a well loved member of the community would be a good thing, and that taking the criticisms to heart and trying to fix it would be your number one concern, but megacorporations never give a poo poo.

Aniodia posted:

Hell, he's been branching out and doing videos on other card games as well, and even those are pretty good. I watched the one on the new Digimon game, and felt I had enough of an understanding to head to my flgs for a local night from watching it. Besides, being as big as he is with magic brings more eyes on the other games he does as well, which is almost always a good thing (except for Flesh and Blood).

im loving pissed because I got into Digimon early but it's so expensive to make decks for a niche game. my only LGS here doesn't have any product of it and if i wanted to actually get to an LGS that does, i'd probably be spending $20 uber rides.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Framboise posted:

Digimon looks fun but I'm hesitant to buy into a game that might not have staying power (or anyone to play with). When I wanted to get into a card game back in late 2015/early 2016 I went to an LGS and played a game of Magic with 2 of those free 30-card starter decks and I played a game of Force of Will with someone who had an extra deck. FoW was confusing and the cards had microscopic text with way too much going on, it was like an information overload.

I feel like I definitely made the better choice, because who even plays FoW anymore? Is the game even alive anymore?

If I were to get into another TCG it'd probably be Pokemon since I already know how to play, it's fairly popular here, and seems pretty affordable if you're not buying all the blinged out versions of cards. I can't wrap my brain around modern Yu-Gi-Oh though; the text is microscopic on those too and I've seen videos of online play and some turns just go on and on and on and on and makes no sense to me and I just... nah.

It's hard to really suggest Digimon since Bandai has had what, 3-4 iterations of the Digimon TCG? but the current one's been going since 2020 and they're still releasing sets.

It is also hard to get into because starter decks are impossible to find [each one generally has a really good card set or two, so people buy them out to resell for more.] [Old starter decks also had a free booster in them and were generally the only way to get boosters due to limited printings.]

I stopped playing it around july/august last year but i really want to go back eventually. im just too broke to afford standard decks.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

i dont know about this shrine nonsense, but if it has attack and toughness then I assume i'm able to slap someone with it, unless the card specifically says i can't do that.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

magic having more words in rules than possibly the bible will never not be funny to me.they had the ability to simplify things and decided "no actually we want every single card to interact differently in every single interaction"

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

i can only remember like 2 rules, everything else is just flavor text.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

Mountainwalk means it resists Trample, right?

attacking your opponent means your creatures need to WALK to them to fight.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

If they're gonna ban Dockside, at least also ban Island too.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

maybe just reprinting Dockside and making an edh addendum that you can only do a loop X amount of times instead of "forever" would have been a better idea. maybe like 3 laps or so.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

imo make dockside an uncommon reprint.

then ban it.

real talk though i feel like red and white need some meat on their bones. maybe stop making goblins for red and enchants for white and give them a gun or something.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Red would still have Jeska’s Will, Wheel
of Fortune, and Underworld Breach, it would survive a Dockside ban.

The whole format would be fine, it would simply “rotate” to be a turn slower, on average.

yeah but now they probably can't do their turn one wins, to the excitement of the three other players playing cedh.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Fire Sheldon. Preferably into the sun.

Also ban Dockside.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

guess i need to get two of each commander precon

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

So im looking at more zombies i can potentially slap into my deck. what are your opinions on:

Graveborn Must
Soulless One
Noxious Ghoul
Gempalm Polluter

I know people suggested Noxious Ghoul and another which I think was called plague belcher or something like that, but i was preoccupied and can't remember now.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

Do you have any of the Kaldheim ones in your list, like Narfi and the dude that exiles creatures opponents control that die?

Name them please. I haven't updated my decklist yet since i've been swapping cards out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/3Xaxc8zZSUmtdUDWVezA-A

I updated my list. Sideboard is cards i am waiting on, and i've also added a few cards in considering. No. I don't have Narfi or any of those. I don't run snow covered lands, not like it helps much.

I considered Fallen Ideal as a sacrifice outlet should i somehow not have access to anything else. Ashnod's gives me a bunch of mana should I need to pay a fat spell or an X card. works perfectly with Wilhelt and Poppet stitcher.

Exquisite Blood would be great as a lifegain source since a lot of this deck loves to drain my life so it would be pretty welcome if i decide to get that. I still really would like more lifegain sources if possible but that's pretty impossible since it's dimir.