Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Why does each card trigger separately? I would figure "exile until" would count as one instance of exiling cards.

e: Also I figure you'd want blue for, like, thoughtlash.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I don't think the original duals ever got a spanish release.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Rhystic Study isn't actually that powerful but it does make people mad and gang up on you. Mystic Remora is what the true connoisseurs play, anyways.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's not to late to use MPCfill.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I think the main reason precons have temple of the false god and reliquary tower is because commander players, for whatever reason, want those cards. It's not a teaching moment. It's just putting cards players want in a product so that they will buy it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I also thing the desirability of reliquary tower points to a different issue. Discarding to hand size feels bad. And, usually, you discard to hand size because you got mana screwed, and not because you cast braingeyser. People associate discarding to hand size with the "I got screwed" feelbads and not the much smaller "I can't hold all these limes" feelbads. It doesn't matter that the solution is to put better (and probably more) lands in your deck so that you can cast your spells. They will instead put reliquary tower in because they think it solves their problem (while in reality it maybe makes it slightly worse)

Imo, the max hand size should be different than the starting hand size. Would anything bad happen if it got bumped up to 10? Screw is still just as bad, but the new player doesn't get the double whammy of feelbads when it happens.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I believe the cards are Sylvan Offering and Esix, Fractal Bloom. In the case, Esix replaces the X/X.

In term of the rules, there's no difference between "do x, then do y." and "do x. do y." You still do x and y in order.

In general, if they happen in entirely separate clauses, then they are separate events for the purposes of Esix. Wurmcoil engine, eg, creates 2 tokens at once so they would both get replaced.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I put Doomsday in my grenzo deck and took it out because it just wasn't very fun to win that way.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Aphrodite posted:

Dogmeat should have been a companion. It’s UB, you can bring the weird stuff back.

I would have also accepted partner, but less enthusiastically.

What if we split the difference and did Doctor's Companion?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DontMockMySmock posted:

they did that already, it was called Eldraine.

*Arabian Nights

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gynovore posted:

Way back in '97 or '98 or so my buddies and I invented a format where you try to make the worst deck possible within certain parameters, then you swap decks.

We should bring this back:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/23qpl2/how_to_win_in_21024_9234_turns_with_7_cards/

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Hokori doesn't need some weird combo to go off. It just needs more artifact mana than your opponents.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dumb question, but if you have multiple "beginning of end step" triggers you can choose the order of those effects via how they go on the stack?

Yes. If multiple people have triggers, first the player whose turn it is puts all the triggers they control on the stack in the order of their choice, then each other player in turn order does the same. The player whose turn it is will end up resolving their stuff last.

This is how it works every time multiple triggers would go on the stack simultaneously.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The good wolves are:

Voja
Voja, Friend to Elves
Voja Fenstalker

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It wouldn't radically alter the game, but it would be universally playable due to the very low opportunity cost and I don't think it would make the game more fun to have exist.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Khanstant posted:

I was thinking of a downgrade from duals. If it enters tapped it's just as bad as every enters tapped land. What if it's untyped?

"worse than the ABU duals" can still be way too overpowered. They're the best lands in all of magic by a fair margin and probably shouldn't exist.

With a card like this, I would be trying to not overshoot the NEO legendary lands, which are already super good and go in basically every deck. If you want it to be pushed, it should probably be closer to the pathways.

If I was tasked with making this card, I would either just reprint archaeological dig, or remove the typing and then give it something like "etb tapped unless you control an island"

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
In magic, we already had "The Coin." It was called Lotus Petal. And it was a legit very powerful card. Not every deck wanted it but it was very good.

quote:

My last ditch idea was just: Tap for Main mana or tap sac for off color. To me that against seemed too bad to play and isn't the treasure theme anymore.

The danger here is not that you made a basic land with too good of a bonus ability tacked onto it. It's that you tacked a bonus ability onto a basic land.
If you made a card that was "land - island, {1,000,000},{t}: add one of any color" that would still be, I think, a design error.

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's a reason why lotus petal is still $20

And speaking to cards that are basic lands+, Hammerheim is the worst version of "a basic land with an ability tacked on." It does basically nothing aside from being a land that taps for red in 99.9% of games. It's still 15 dollars because it's free (game resource wise, obviously it's 15 dollars in real terms) to put in your commander deck..

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 2, 2024

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If you want magic to be a game where people don't play basics and instead play strictly better cards, that's certainly a way the game can be. I'm opposed to those kinds of cards for a few reasons, however.

1. they make the game harder to get into.
I can't just make a cheap monocolored deck and slam my basics. I have to find the top mono-coloured lands to be competitive. And, because every single deck in my color wants them, they're not gonna be cheap.

2. they make the game more complicated.
Onboard tricks aren't fun, especially for new players. Onboard tricks stuck onto lands are even less fun. This is already a bit of a problem with having to keep track of what manlands are up when deciding whether to attack. But, when every land is a pendelhaven or a minamo, that's just a constant headache.

Even if they're not combat relevant abilities tacked on, I still think it adds too much complexity for little benefit. The fun part of magic is playing my cards. I think that my lands should make it easy for me to tell when I can play my cards, and it should be relatively easy to play my cards and leave up mana for interaction. The more abilities you tack onto lands, the more complicated this process gets.

Yes I also have opinions about filter lands and pain lands. I don't want to think about my lands after I play them beyond what colors they make.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It was just a slower game then. You played your 3/3 on turn 4 and that was a decent enough threat. The control decks were trying to win with millstone. You had enough time.

e: mana was busted then also. But, it didn't really help the creature decks. t1 dark ritual hypnotic specter is a great play but t1 dark ritual necropotence is better.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 2, 2024

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I mean the rule is

quote:

305.6 The basic land types are Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest. If an object uses the words “basic land type,” it’s referring to one of these subtypes. An object with the land card type and a basic land type has the intrinsic ability “{T}: Add [mana symbol],” even if the text box doesn’t actually contain that text or the object has no text box. For Plains, [mana symbol] is {W}; for Islands, {U}; for Swamps, {B}; for Mountains, {R}; and for Forests, {G}. See rule 107.4a. See also rule 605, “Mana Abilities.”

If your guy thinks that things with two tap abilities can use both of them simultaneously, idk what to tell you.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gynovore posted:

"Strictly better than a basic land" is a line that Wizards has been willing to cross the past 5 years. If you are playing monored, there is no reason not to stick in one copy of Castle Embereth.

Doesn't mean I like it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Party Miser posted:

that guy is insufferable to listen to so of course he would do poo poo like that. i do not wish him well in this endeavor.

Anyways, i was wondering if the card "Annie joins up" means you get two sets of converted tokens or you just changed them twice (i think it's just converted twice). With something like Mondrak Glory Dominus do you get triple the tokens, or is it doubled and then doubled again? With Krenko (tin Street) I think you do the counter and token thing and then do it again?

I'm sorely tempted to add that to my jinnie fay cat firehose deck of it's broken instead of just really good. It's otherwise not as amazing for the seven creatures that do synergize off of it, but still kinda tempting.

Idk what converted tokens are, but you just do the whole triggered ability twice. Triggered abilities are anything that says "when" "whenever" or "at" (as in, at the beginning of your upkeep).

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's funny that even wizards commented a little about edh players' attitudes with Crimes in thunder junction

Armageddon is not a crime.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I do think it's probably not the best that activation restrictions go at the end of the ability. See evidence here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1M5dJ0Ouiw

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Thanks, make sense to me. That said, I think what I have on hand are checklands and slowlands, which I think is safe to assume are upgrades over taplands, though now I'm wondering if basics might still be better.

Those are generally good. Checklands are especially good when you have an otherwise basic manabase.
If you really need to hit your turn 1 and your turn 2, and would generally keep a 2 lander to do so, slowlands can be a hinderance. But, they're usually very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What does Survivor's Med Kit mean by "choose one that hasn't been chosen"?

I assume it's one per turn but what happens after all have been chosen???

It will get usually get sacrificed by the third option before you run out. If something happens that prevents that, activating the ability won't do anything.
It remembers what modes have been chosen for as long as it's on the battlefield.