Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

It's Lethal Lava Land.

It's full of all these cool, high stakes platforming bits.

And these fuckers which are actually kind of fun to fight once you get the hang of them (hint: jump on 'em near the edge)

And there's this goddamn log thing that gave me hell as a kid. I don't know how many game-overs I got trying to get this one star.

The sliding puzzle thing is kind of OK I guess. It's a cute idea at least.

There's a volcano that spews lava

And a drawbridge for some reason

And this weird "babby's first 3D game" squiggle

And once you beat all the other stars, it wraps things up with a kick-awesome shell ride across lava where you can do a bunch of sweet tricks off these cool wave ramps

What a cool level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the best mario 64 level is all the levels that aren't hazy maze cave

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the best mario 64 level is all the levels that aren't hazy maze cave

gently caress that level.
Anyways I like uhhh dry dry docks which I think is neat.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

you make a good case op, but the answer is Dire, Dire Docks, if only for the bgm

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I like Freezeezy Peak, some real nice winter/Christmas vibes.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The music is good, but what else about Dire Dire Docks earns it the top spot?

BTW have you heard this old OC Remix? One of my favorites from back in the day, and still holds up.

https://youtu.be/FL80bU8VTV8

Beartaco posted:

I like Freezeezy Peak, some real nice winter/Christmas vibes.

That's definitely one of the most memorable stages. I always hated having to kill the hat snowmen guys.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jolly roger bay is the superior water level, i like it an awful lot. dire dire docks has the sub and the sub is cool but it's otherwise a meh stage.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Good soup! posted:

you make a good case op, but the answer is Dire, Dire Docks, if only for the bgm

I stand corrected. :sweatdrop:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The biggest reason why Lethal Lava Land is not the best level is the lack of verticality. It's far too flat to be the best level. Whomp's Fortress or Cool Cool Mountain both feel like big puzzleboxes in the best ways.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the best levels are the ones where the camera rotates around a central spire because that's when the camera gives you the least trouble and it lets you use mario's jump moves more

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the bowser levels are also all good but less cute

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

As a kid I thought Tall, Tall Mountain was the best since it had a slide and a monkey in it.

As an adult I'll say Shifting Sand Land. The pyramid is really fun to explore and something about those N64 graphics makes it still feel kind of eerie and mysterious.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

A Fancy Hat posted:

As a kid I thought Tall, Tall Mountain was the best since it had a slide and a monkey in it.

As an adult I'll say Shifting Sand Land. The pyramid is really fun to explore and something about those N64 graphics makes it still feel kind of eerie and mysterious.

not empty quoting

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

The biggest reason why Lethal Lava Land is not the best level is the lack of verticality. It's far too flat to be the best level. Whomp's Fortress or Cool Cool Mountain both feel like big puzzleboxes in the best ways.

Inside the volcano has plenty of vert platforming. Shameful that the OP doesn’t mention that section when extolling the virtues of LLL.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

It's Tick Tock Clock. You want vertical platforming? You got it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Meaty Ore posted:

It's Tick Tock Clock. You want vertical platforming? You got it.

Discovering that jumping in at different times affected the speed of the clock parts felt like I had discovered actual magic as a kid.

But falling down the entire clock and dying after almost reaching the top was way too cruel.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

gently caress that level.
Anyways I like uhhh dry dry docks which I think is neat.

Good soup! posted:

If you pay attention there's a bunch of ocean wildlife in the first area of the stage. Sharks and cheep-cheeps and manta rays.

Until you beat Bowser, his sub hangs out here.

The stage features the only(?) situation where you have to mix two cap effects, which is pretty neat.

When you're up here collecting red coins, the music really kicks off with the percussion coming in with a great concentration groove as you hop between poles high up over the water.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

jolly roger bay is the superior water level, i like it an awful lot

I love the murky underwater sunken ship.

Guarded by its huge eel friend who found a home in the wreckage.

Wise from you gwave! I love non-verbal storytelling in games, so I always enjoy how your opening those chests and letting out the air (don't think too hard about it) raises the ship up to the surface.

Red coins hidden in clams. Would they have turned into pearls if we left them in there?

I never got the hang of dodging these falling spike tower things. They always smack me when I'm running through this area.

There's only one star in this whole section of the zone which always felt weird to me. Feels like it could've been more like the city in Wet Dry World, its own little sub-area.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Almost every single level in Mario 64 is the GOAT.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
wet dry world is actually the best because it's the drowned ruins of some abandoned kingdom like new anor londo just 15 years earlier

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Tiny Huge Island had the most interesting and creative gimmick, but for just the best overall level I've gotta go with Tik Tock.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Arivia posted:

wet dry world is actually the best because it's the drowned ruins of some abandoned kingdom like new anor londo just 15 years earlier

finding those ruins was so cool. i also liked the mechanic of jumping into the painting to control the water level

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
It's obviously "Mario Wings To The Sky".

It's the only difficult stage, after all. That's how it works :)

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

It's cool how most of the stages use a corkscrew design to get the most mileage out of their 3D spaces and the N64 hardware. It's a really efficient way to pack tons of content into a relatively small space and obviously the verticality helps sell the 3D element and platforming. The deku tree in OOT does the same thing. "What's stuff we can do in 3D that we couldn't on the SNES?"

OP my answer would probably be the Bowser levels for the great action and cool skyboxes but I love the whole game.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Already mentioned but Tiny Huge land .

The platforming itself was pretty frustrating iirc - but the novelty of visiting the same spaces in different sizes was such a unique and cool concept that I'd never seen before that point. Also all the camera / geometry tricks used to make Mario look small or big in the corridor leading to the paintings was just :discourse:

Second place goes to the never ending staircase before you unlock the upstairs door.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rainbow Ride can go gently caress itself. I've finished Mario 64 countless times and I keep forgetting that level exists. I don't want it to exist.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The best level is Whomp's Fortress because it teaches you all the movement abilities and it's the last level I 100% whenever I try to replay the game

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Bom-omb Battlefield is the best because it has the least amount of bullshit to kill you

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Boo's Big Haunt deserves a mention.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I always have a hell of a time getting onto the roof to grab the star. Keep sliding off.

The spinny thing in the basement is fun, and so is zooming under the coffins to grab red coins.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!
Tiny Huge Island was my favorite as a kid, but Hazy Maze Cave has everything. Fun platforming, cool music, great missions and a really cool dinosaur.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I remember the first time I found the inside of the volcano in Lethal Lava Land by accident and I had my mind blown like it was the loving ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I remember the first time I found the inside of the volcano in Lethal Lava Land by accident and I had my mind blown like it was the loving ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Yep. I felt the same way about going inside the pyramid in Shifting Sand Land - there's a whole level inside the level!

For my money, the best level is Big Boo's Haunt. I love the fun spooky theme, hidden secret passages and traversable walls. And the piano is a great jump scare when you're 10!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The fact that the levels are somewhat cohesive make Mario 64 so great and amazing as it was basically a tech demo for 3D platformers.

Except for Rainbow Ride gently caress that place previously said.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

For my money, the best level is Big Boo's Haunt. I love the fun spooky theme, hidden secret passages and traversable walls. And the piano is a great jump scare when you're 10!

The piano is still a great jump scare when you're first playing it at 25!

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

dlrry posted:

Tiny Huge Island was my favorite as a kid, but Hazy Maze Cave has everything. Fun platforming, cool music, great missions and a really cool dinosaur.

I hated Hazy Maze Cave as a kid but I recently replayed the game and loved it.

I kind of think any of the first floor levels are in the running for best in the game, hard to pick one of them.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

ColdPie posted:

Wise from you gwave! I love non-verbal storytelling in games, so I always enjoy how your opening those chests and letting out the air (don't think too hard about it) raises the ship up to the surface.

I never connected the air from the chests with raising the ship, that's cool as hell. Isn't sinking compressed air into the depths and unpacking it a thing salvagers do?

I really like Cool Cool Mountain

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Dire dire docks

sine730
Jun 4, 2023

ColdPie posted:

Until you beat Bowser, his sub hangs out here.

Where does Bowser's sub go when you beat him? I think it'd have to have been driven out into the water outside the castle. But then what?

TTC and TTM are up there for sure imo. gently caress shifting sand land though. Half that stage is a deathplane. It's more "floor is lava" than loving lethal lava land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

literally any of the levels but rainbow ride. take your pick. anyone who says rr btw is full of it