Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

not yer mom's, op, that's for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
The Vatican is cool and good

Also Belarus

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

finland imo

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The PM is lovely indeed there.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

No country is actually good OP; sorry.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure no one has any complaints about Iceland.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

What's the opposite of Israel? Because that country may be it.

Just don't blame me if it ends up being Luxembourg or some such.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Mozi posted:

bhutan maybe?

this, except it's uncomfortably close to PRC

Iceland is nice. They ended whale hunting (way too late imo) which seemed the only lingering international controversy for an otherwise progressive country. They jailed their bankers.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Morocco?

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

By popular demand posted:

Another guy in the thread told me theyre good but he seems like a bit of a sad sack so i took it with a grain of salt. I figure any country beloved by mopey little whiners can’t be all that great

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

frumpykvetchbot posted:

this, except it's uncomfortably close to PRC

Iceland is nice. They ended whale hunting (way too late imo) which seemed the only lingering international controversy for an otherwise progressive country. They jailed their bankers.

Iceland is waaay too into cryptocurrency and cousin loving tho

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I think Sweden is the best country, they love wooden horses just as much as I do.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Carthage seems pretty good

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Carthago delenda est

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What about New Zealand. It seems a pretty chill place.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

By popular demand posted:

Just don't blame me if it ends up being Luxembourg or some such.

that would be the pitcairn islands: https://www.geodatos.net/en/antipodes/israel

very much not the best place on earth

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

ChubbyChecker posted:

that would be the pitcairn islands: https://www.geodatos.net/en/antipodes/israel

I just looked them up and they’re actually pretty cool and weird

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

ChubbyChecker posted:

hey, what do you have against Moderator Island?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

I just looked them up and they’re actually pretty cool and weird

Yeah, except for the kiddie rape. Otherwise it's good.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Nothing is perfect!

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Any Scandinavian country and Iceland in particular.

Honestly any first world country is going to be better than the US.

and thats the way it was
Feb 14, 2011

Hollismason posted:

What about New Zealand. It seems a pretty chill place.

Everything costs too much and you don’t get paid enough.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I don't generally like country, but Orville Peck is pretty good.

Also, in the 90s, my uncle was in a country band that kinda ruled, called the Black Boot Trio. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWdjcxAga1M

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 27, 2021

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Having lived in three or four countries, depending which kind of country you mean, in order from best to worst those four are:

Australia (only tried Adelaide, the rest might suck)
Scotland (near Edinburgh is good, islands are good in a different way)
England (middle-northern is least bad, London is basically a tiny USA)
USA (San Francisco area is trash, New York is trash, DC area is trash, Florida is trash, I spent a month near the line between Michigan and Wisconsin which was less bad)

I also spent nearly a month in Canada (Alberta) which based on that short duration appeared to be about tied with Australia, but I didn't really experience any government interaction there so it's probably slightly worse. (Australian government is offensively poo poo like all government, but in terms of direct interaction with individuals like tax bureaucracy and providing services, Australia was pretty good.)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
ceterum censeo

Testikles posted:

Carthago delenda est

japan is good by vitue of being livable and not a.m.erica

my parents liked living in germany

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Costa Rica

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

kntfkr posted:

japan is good by vitue of being livable and not a.m.erica

lol

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

those japanese really know how to make a cartoon. Shame about the economy but I guess that’s what happens when you put all your eggs in the cartoon basket

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Japan work culture is something else lol

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

japan owns!

/lives alone working 60 hour weeks, half the population wishes they were dead but thats not an approved thought, creates the favorite content for pedophiles, at least no fatties!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I am moderately well travelled.

As a tourist, I loved Luxembourg. Small, pretty, most tourists avoid it, so there aren't as many crowds, I took High School French so I was at least half understandable by the locals, and there were some nice ruins on the road to the city from the hostel I stayed at.

Also I read somewhere, (and it is probably false), that all Luxembourg born citizens get to meet the King on their 11th, or maybe 13th birthday as their birthright. Which, down with the Monarchy and all that good stuff, but seems like it would be pretty cool for a young'un.

To live, I have so far most enjoyed living in Namhae, South Korea. SK can be a shitshow, and has a lot of issues. But Namhae was a lovely little island off the south coast with some cool beaches, and I very much enjoyed the schools at which I was teaching there. It also has a garlic festival. Which is inarguably awesome.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Wendigee posted:

japan owns!

/lives alone working 60 hour weeks, half the population wishes they were dead but thats not an approved thought, creates the favorite content for pedophiles, at least no fatties!

i'm unsheathing my katana now so i would suggest you start running

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
North Sentinal Island seems pretty cool because they don't let lovely outsiders ruin their vibe.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
A "good economy" is very low down the list of what makes a country good. Wealth is good, because that means good infrastructure, but lots of "good" economic indicators are bad for the actual citizens - high economic growth is worse than stability because it means you're in a boom-bust cycle, high taxes are better for people than low so long as they're progressive and spent on useful things, regulated industry serves the citizens better etc.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Aardvark! posted:

Macedonia might be good they just eat big piles of meat all day [citation needed]

macedonia? never heard of it.

north macedonia? now that place has got meat

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

did someone say Arby's?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Botswana seems like the most chill place.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Xaintrailles posted:

The Swiss are so racist they banned minarets.
Maybe New Zealand for least-worst?

This is the smart goon so I'm going with this^

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

My experience of living in Germany a few years is that it is generally better than the US with regards to general quality of life, such as lots of guaranteed vacation days at work and not feeling like you're a false medical move away from permanent financial ruin

It's also easy to travel from there to any other European country or even north Africa with those vacation days for very cheap. Candidly, I'm feeling a fool for coming back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's a sliding scale of awful. Every country will have bad things, it's up to you to decide the severity and specificity of the badness you prefer.

Like, I'm in Australia and yeah, there's a lot of Not Good things here. But there's also not a lot of places I'd want to go to otherwise, especially when you factor in the reality of being a person with a personality, and life. Finland's great, I'll move there! Except now I'm alone, don't know the language or customs, and I'm just sort of the weird foreigner who has to rebuild their entire life.

All I know is just move to a country where the possibility of just being shot for walking down the street or going to school is minimal to none.