Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Probably was on his back with his arms and legs tucked in. The only way he could go. RIPS to a real one from Ant crew.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/27/science/eo-wilson-dead.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I clicked through and read part of the headline about him being an insect expert and "he then applied his research to humans" and then I got the PLEASE SUBSCRIBE message :stare:

did this guy turn a person to some kind of MAN FLY HYBRID???

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Aardvark! posted:

I clicked through and read part of the headline about him being an insect expert and "he then applied his research to humans" and then I got the PLEASE SUBSCRIBE message :stare:

read this and got the same.

rest in piss ya fuckin' sicko

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Didn't realize he was alive. Gonna need a list of people who still live

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Aardvark! posted:

Nah he just did what all well educated people do, assume expertise on everything.

Great scientist, but had some bad takes on how important math is for the future of science.

https://slate.com/technology/2013/04/e-o-wilson-is-wrong-about-math-and-science.html

His advice is much less hyperbolic than the article suggests and was designed to avoid gatekeeping science to those with enough math, but it got taken by the community as "math is dumb"

Alucard fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 27, 2021

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Science is for nerds lol

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Also he was an avid proponent of :biotruths:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I thought his scientific rival, Dr. Hank Pym was always more talented

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Nooner posted:

Science is for nerds lol

apparently this guy also said math is dumb so maybe he was actually a jock

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Executive Order Wilson

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
'The Ants' was basically my favorite book as a young, virginal, adolescent.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Mooey Cow posted:

Also he was an avid proponent of :biotruths:

These guys always miss the point of this stuff. Even if biotruths are real, humans should focus on transcending the limits of their biology. But no, we get regressives like Jordan Peterson saying humanity should just eat poo poo forever because "That's what we're suppose to do".

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:rip:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

ninjoatse.cx posted:

read this and got the same.

rest in piss ya fuckin' sicko

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

bollig posted:

'The Ants' was basically my favorite book as a young, virginal, adolescent.

Same. Man ants are cool.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Aardvark! posted:

They've already found footage of his tragic end: https://youtu.be/xdk5g5DMByg

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Eldritch ‘Orror Wilson

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

LordArgh posted:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

Lol that’s what I thought of. Rip to this funny named man

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Aardvark! posted:

apparently this guy also said math is dumb so maybe he was actually a jock

Nm, this dude rules

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

The half-screen paywall notice blocked me so I assume this guy (and the NY Times) are huge pieces of poo poo

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

a mysterious cloak posted:

The half-screen paywall notice blocked me so I assume this guy (and the NY Times) are huge pieces of poo poo

Lol

I bet E.O. Wilson would knocked this poindexter's books outta his hands in the hall

:c00l:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

As a non-math doer I agree with captain e.o.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
JBS Haldane would have beaten him in a fistfight and/or drinking competition

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This guy seems alright but he's certainly no AntsCanada.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
rip so sad

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Nooner posted:

Nm, this dude rules

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
dang, I knew he was getting bad when he could no longer carry 50x his own weight.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Yaldabaoth posted:

These guys always miss the point of this stuff. Even if biotruths are real, humans should focus on transcending the limits of their biology. But no, we get regressives like Jordan Peterson saying humanity should just eat poo poo forever because "That's what we're suppose to do".

Jorp et al are morons because they don’t understand that the point of science is to describe reality, not proscribe it. They don’t seem to understand the difference between “x is like y” and “x should be like y”.

There’s nothing wrong with saying men are a bunch of alpha male morons who want to murder for sex, provided you have the evidence for it, but there’s a big problem saying “and that’s good and we should all be like that”. Humans are animals after all, and a lot of our behaviours are owing to our primate ancestors. Luckily, we are intelligent enough not have to be slaves to our biology.

a primate fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 28, 2021

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

a primate posted:

Jorp et al are morons because they don’t understand that the point of science is to describe reality, not proscribe it. They don’t seem to understand the difference between “x is like y” and “x should be like y”.

There’s nothing wrong with saying men are a bunch of alpha male morons who want to murder for sex, provided you have the evidence for it, but there’s a big problem saying “and that’s good and we should all be like that”. Humans are animals after all, and a lot of our behaviours are owing to our primate ancestors. Luckily, we are intelligent enough not have to be slaves to our biology.

And the first step to not being a slave to your biology is realizing that the laws of nature are horrifying and not based on any sense of morality.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Yaldabaoth posted:

And the first step to not being a slave to your biology is realizing that the laws of nature are horrifying and should be disobeyed all the time.

Yep. Humans love murder, for example, and have forever. They’ve also loved slavery quite a bit. Neither of these are particularly advisable.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
You could say he Reachedus Extinctus, to use the parlance of us science types.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jumped out of the plane wearing his bromber. rip.

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?
He was a great ecologist, but another person that I thought died decades ago

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
RIP Baxter Stockman

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

a primate posted:

Yep. Humans love murder, for example, and have forever. They’ve also loved slavery quite a bit. Neither of these are particularly advisable.

big brain posting zone

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

big brain posting zone

I deserve this for forgetting this is a gbs thread, apologies and namaste

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Both Mrs. Genesplicer and I were saddened by this news. We have read his works and went to one of his lectures. Great scientist. Made a lot of great contributions.

Fun fact: He once discovered a new species of ant when someone delivered a plant from a florist to him that contained a few of the new species in the root structure. He discovered a new species of ant while sitting at his desk admiring a plant someone sent him as a congratulations for discovering a new species of ant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Someone PLEASE tell me Acorn the Nature Nut is still alive, and hanging with Pappy Drewitt in the wilds of Alberta/Pappyland