Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Someone PLEASE tell me Acorn the Nature Nut is still alive, and hanging with Pappy Drewitt in the wilds of Alberta/Pappyland

Acorn the Nature Nut is a national treasure.
He now teaches at the University of Alberta and has aged amazingly.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Acorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Ehh gently caress it.

Pekinduck fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 5, 2022

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

nah

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

drat, how is Ben Stiller taking it? They did a lot of movies together in the early 2000s. Guess we won't be getting zoolander 2.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Nooner posted:

Science is for nerds lol

We are all composed of sciencey molecules, nerd.

Also :rip:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Genesplicer posted:

Both Mrs. Genesplicer and I were saddened by this news. We have read his works and went to one of his lectures. Great scientist. Made a lot of great contributions.

Fun fact: He once discovered a new species of ant when someone delivered a plant from a florist to him that contained a few of the new species in the root structure. He discovered a new species of ant while sitting at his desk admiring a plant someone sent him as a congratulations for discovering a new species of ant.

I only knew of him obliquely until recently when I watched a documentary about his life; I had no idea his New Synthesis book caused such a ruckus in the mid-seventies when it came out.

Ms. Thndrs is an anthropologist and has most of his books on the shelf, so I immediately dove into his autobiography, ‘Naturalist’ and was struck by the amount of single-minded effort he put into his future vocation by the time he was an undergrad, holy poo poo, this dude put serious work into his studies, including losing a loving eye while looking for specimens.

RIP, E.O. Wilson, from ants everywhere, he’ll soon be more familiar with the inner workings of ants than he expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
I thought he lost vision in his eye as a kid in an accident