Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

bagmonkey posted:

I think the return to "traditional" styles is a direct response to the oversaturation of IPAs, NEIPAs and Sours. I enjoy pretty much every beer out there

though there is one beer I hate, like actually hate with my heart and soul

Real Ales, my goon CAMRA

https://camra.org.uk/

"CAMRA's states that real ale can only be served without the use of additional carbonation. This means that "any beer brand which is produced in both cask and keg versions" is not admitted to CAMRA festivals if the brewery's marketing is deemed to imply an equivalence of quality or character between the two versions"

I get the principal but taste is subjective so I never beer shame, but this right here is my fuckin jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

bagmonkey posted:

I went to my local brewery's member appreciation night since I got myself and lady bagmo a membership to that brewery a couple years back. It was really good and the beer was extremely cheap and there was free food and it owned

bagmonkey posted:

I'm also thinking about buying my third (3rd) brewery membership. I have one that's local and one up north where I really like vacationing. Nice part is the local one I already have is lifetime!

Supporting good beer is the way to go!
Ask ask for a tour and ask them questions about what they do, where they get their ideas for recipes, what is their personal favorite brew, poo poo like that. Tell them what you think of their product (positive value added and encouragement). Brewers love having people take an interested in their craft :)

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Also, please dont tell the 1000 page thread I'm posting in here instead of there but I cant help myself, it's about beer here

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

I decided to go back to some old favorites this Xmas with Samuel Smith's oatmeal and imperial stouts, it was awesome

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
These threads are always confusing because they're mostly American products and I have no idea what they are.

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat
I buy beer solely based on how cool the art on the can looks. I do not recommend this approach

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Testikles posted:

These threads are always confusing because they're mostly American products and I have no idea what they are.

I am curious about your local beer, goon!!! Like in the US, if you're into craft beer, you are only getting beers from 2-3 states away, max. I cannot find anything from the real good breweries in Seattle, for example (Great Notion and Holy Mountain are my jam, I have never been but my friend sends me beer from there)

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

Real Ales, my goon CAMRA

https://camra.org.uk/

"CAMRA's states that real ale can only be served without the use of additional carbonation. This means that "any beer brand which is produced in both cask and keg versions" is not admitted to CAMRA festivals if the brewery's marketing is deemed to imply an equivalence of quality or character between the two versions"

I get the principal but taste is subjective so I never beer shame, but this right here is my fuckin jam

Man, thanks for that. I might yoink a ton of info off that site when I get around to building out the OP. I got plans for it, specifically GOON BEER RECOMMENDATIONS

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I tend to like the darker beers like stouts and porters, but the higher alcohol content ones have a tendency to be too sweet.

Regarding local beers, I'm in the Philadelphia area, we have some kick rear end breweries around. Victory, Troegs, and Yards are probably the only ones that make it out of the region but there are some other really good local ones.

I got a milk stout from Conshohocken Brewing Co that was absolutely delicious but my wife almost killed me because of what it did to my digestive system.

Edit: My go-to day drinking beer is Founders All Day IPA

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 28, 2021

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

OMFG FURRY posted:

i like hefeweizens beer thread, please suggest a hefeweizen to sample and mAybe find a new favorite??????

i can get live oak, but there's so much more to see.......OR taste??????

I don't know about beer beyond either liking something or not, but Two Roads No Limits is one of my favorites. Hopefully you live somewhere it's available.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I went to the Allagash brewery on my honeymoon

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Guys I'm debating not having a beer tonight since I'm gonna have a whole lot of beer on New Years

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Also I think I'm going to updated the second post in the thread to a GBS Goon Approved Beer List

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
My favourite mass-produced beer is probably Guinness Original (not draught)

I also like Kwak but it really fucks me up

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I've started collecting shirts from every brewery I visit. Only have two but I plan to continue this hobby.

Also I encourage anyone who's interested to start home brewing. I sometimes even make my own labels!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m drinking a Peach and Key Lime sour beer right now. Normally I don’t like Sours but I decided to take a chance on this one since this company is new and their scant offerings so far have all been good.

Beer is… okay.

If anyone is a beer nerd and is travelling to Nova Scotia in the future, checks out 2 Crows in Halifax. Their company has some standard stuff that is good, but they produce some historical beers for fun that I really enjoy learning about while I drink. Ever wonder what miners in some specific area of Germany drank in the 18th century? Here is a beer for you! They are the perfect blend if beer nerd and talent.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

My wife and I went to Green Bay for a Packers game a couple weeks ago (December 12th) and her sister brought us some Vermont beers to exchange for local beers during the pre-game tailgate. They were all IPAs because my brother in law drinks IPAs and thought people in Wisconsin would be up for some Heady Topper and such. First tailgate we walked up to went like this:
Me: "Hey, do you like IPAs?"
Guy: "No, gently caress off."

It was odd to us because in New England you can't go to a bar or brewery without at least half the beers being IPAs or Pale Ales. Same latitude, completely different tastes.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Lazyfire posted:

That guy rules

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Smugworth posted:

That guy rules

YEAH, GOTTA SAY THE GUY IS A TOTAL BOSS.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lazyfire posted:

My wife and I went to Green Bay for a Packers game a couple weeks ago (December 12th) and her sister brought us some Vermont beers to exchange for local beers during the pre-game tailgate. They were all IPAs because my brother in law drinks IPAs and thought people in Wisconsin would be up for some Heady Topper and such. First tailgate we walked up to went like this:

It was odd to us because in New England you can't go to a bar or brewery without at least half the beers being IPAs or Pale Ales. Same latitude, completely different tastes.

Funniest part is that the Midwest isn't entirely like that! In Michigan, Founder's All Day IPA and Bell's Two Hearted Ale are some of the most popular beers by a wide margin and M-43 NEIPA has become the drink of choice for people who wanna get beer drunk

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

I am curious about your local beer, goon!!! Like in the US, if you're into craft beer, you are only getting beers from 2-3 states away, max. I cannot find anything from the real good breweries in Seattle, for example (Great Notion and Holy Mountain are my jam, I have never been but my friend sends me beer from there)

We have a ton of beer in Ontario. Practically every town of note has a brewery. Some small guys have been bought out by the giant conglomerates but as a province we hit well above our weight in quantity and quality.

Generic people pleasers that were once craft but now barely qualify as such are Steamwhistle, Creemore, and Mill St. Thing I recently enjoyed is Flying Monkey's Chocolate Milkshake Stout which barely tastes like a beer and clocks in at a healthy 10% ABV

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I loving love lagers and in particular pilsners. I love all pilsners, even the lovely easy drinking ones such as Carlsberg, Peroni and all the local Norwegian ones. Hell yeah

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I also like alcohol in general

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Testikles posted:

We have a ton of beer in Ontario. Practically every town of note has a brewery. Some small guys have been bought out by the giant conglomerates but as a province we hit well above our weight in quantity and quality.

Generic people pleasers that were once craft but now barely qualify as such are Steamwhistle, Creemore, and Mill St. Thing I recently enjoyed is Flying Monkey's Chocolate Milkshake Stout which barely tastes like a beer and clocks in at a healthy 10% ABV

Do you know what pisses me off big time? I'm like 20 miles from Ontario but I can't get ANY GOOD CANADIAN BEER! I want to try some Canadian craft beer god damnit

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
My parents got me this shirt for Christmas, it owns and Shorts owns

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Testikles posted:

Man I used to enjoy Mill Street. Every season they would put out a Mix 6 of weird beers (their Lemon Tea Beer is probably my favorite of all time. When they discontinued selling it here in NS I went to every store I could and bought them out). When they got bought out they switched to having most mainstays and one or two seasonal beers.

Then it was no fun beers, so I stopped buying from them.

Checking their website now, it's all safe, bog-standard stuff with a scant number of unappealing beers that are a pale reflection of the fun little company I remember from a decade ago.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I love Stouts. For my birthday my wife got me loads, including the Brew York special editions. They were delicious, some of the finest I've ever drank, but now whenever I have stout I get bloaty for days, so I'll never know their likes again.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

bagmonkey posted:

Funniest part is that the Midwest isn't entirely like that! In Michigan, Founder's All Day IPA and Bell's Two Hearted Ale are some of the most popular beers by a wide margin and M-43 NEIPA has become the drink of choice for people who wanna get beer drunk

It was really just that group of people who didn't want anything to do with IPAs. Like a minute later we exchanged a beer for some top notch homemade jerkey because an already drunk guy in that group heard the words "Heady Topper" and basically demanded to be our friend. We also ended up getting some vintage Packers cocktail glasses from another group by handing out some beer.

One thing about the Green Bay beer scene was that a couple of the local breweries made and distributed Barleywines. It's one of my favorite styles, but vanishingly rare in New England. Captain Lawrence used to distribute a golden apple barleywine that was fantastic, but I haven't seen it in several years now and it was the only barleywine I could consistently find in the local liquor stores. My local brewpub does anniversary releases of a barrel aged barleywine that is typically gone within a week, so I may get a couple pours before it's all gone. I guess it just isn't a style breweries around here want to play with as the niche in the northeast appears to be sours currently (not that I'm complaining, I love sours) as they are starting to get almost mainstream here, even my dad who rarely bothers with non-Bud Lite beers will drink a gose if it's available.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I went through Atlanta earlier this year, and found myself in the crunchy granola section known as "Little Five Points." Patronized the "Little Five Points Brewery." There was a beer on the menu called "Little Five Points Lager," with the description "This is your grandpappy's beer." I'm a fan of the classics, so I got it.

It was loving delicious.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I have powdered citric acid and malic acid. You can just swirl these around a PBR or a St Ides and turn them into a fancy sour beer, right?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I have powdered citric acid and malic acid. You can just swirl these around a PBR or a St Ides and turn them into a fancy sour beer, right?

It'll taste sour, I guess. Most sours on the market are brewed or aged with lactobacillus or have a wild yeast component in the fermentation. I know of one place that makes a Berliner Weisse with yogurt as part of the souring process.

There's one brewery in Vermont that does nothing but sours and they make some of the best around, if you are in the mood to spend $8-12 on a single beer.
https://www.hermitthrushbrewery.com/our-story

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bagmonkey posted:

I just drank like 3 Bell's Two Hearted Ales the other day. Pretty solid beer that

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Welp, here we are. Got my third mug club membership, this latest one is to Urbanrest Brewing Co in Ferndale, MI. They have some really great beers and just opened a second tap room closer to my house. Annual membership was on sale for $100 so why not!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

I just drank like 3 Bell's Two Hearted Ales the other day. Pretty solid beer that

Anything by Bell's is good imo, they have gotten better recently with stuff like No, Yeah! and the Fruit Fight series, but the staples like Two Hearted have always been A++. Oberon in summer, Two Hearted in winter

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

alcohol is bad for you, just drink water

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
This has been my fave commonly, albeit seasonally, available beer for at least a decade, probably two, but seems really bland this year:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AHH F/UGH posted:

alcohol is bad for you, just drink water

no thanks, not sure if you're living in 2021 but I sure am

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
It's never a bad day when you are having a Bitburger or a 2 Hearted. I really miss having easy access to Bell's. I'm also happy that Founder's found success in their All Day IPA and the acquisition. They certainly deserve it. But their other beers have suffered. I had a Red Rye recently, I used to say I'd drink Red Rye out of an old shoe but now it is just OK.

Now that I have more space, I need to get back into brewing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bagmonkey posted:

Anything by Bell's is good imo, they have gotten better recently with stuff like No, Yeah! and the Fruit Fight series, but the staples like Two Hearted have always been A++. Oberon in summer, Two Hearted in winter

yeah def a good winter beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

beer is good

got some guinesses for xmas

:boobeer: