Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Overheard at Urbanrest, winner of multiple Michigan Brewers Guild Awards

" Wow they actually have good beer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I had a bottle of San Miguel recently (one of the many nights over the last two weeks which I've spent getting completely shitfaced on a combination of lagers, ales and ciders while talking bollocks over Discord with some equally-shitfaced buddies), and halfway through drinking this bottle I realised that something wasn't quite right with the taste. On inspection, it was loving opaque, which is the opposite of what a lager should be. Turns out that it had expired some four years ago and somehow managed to hide away in the beer cupboard all that time.

Despite there being an awful risk of making GBS threads the bed involved, I finished it anyway, and no beds were shat :haw:

Anyway, Singha is something I absolutely recommend if you can find it. I do not recommend expired bottles of San Miguel though (or any expired beer for that matter).

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Goin Up North on Sunday, gonna drink so many beers from Not Here!!!!!!!!!!!

Also lady bagmo brought back a 6 pack of Parsons Beer and 2 16 oz from Off Color Brewing, lookin good over here!!!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I drank a bourbon barrel aged cider last night. I love cider, I love bourbon. I did not like this.

I drank it all, of course.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I drank a bourbon barrel aged cider last night. I love cider, I love bourbon. I did not like this.

I drank it all, of course.

I've had a few in my lifetime and only one was good. They used single varietal apples to compliment the bourbon and got the sweetness level just right. The others were complete trash, basically a semi dry cider with bourbon taste in it. Yech.

Also, I finished all of them.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Spent last night playing videogames and slowly getting more and more pissed on a mix of Tsingtao and Kingfisher beers.

Good times.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Nice lazy afternoon with a four-pack of Holsten pils. Nothing mind-blowing or extravagant; just a straight German lager beer with a nice clean taste and one that I find it to be a very comfortable choice.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
a Very Bad WaPo article, surprisingly!

It's about beers and ABVs and it totally does not match my experience at all lol Everyone wants people to cool it with high ABV beers and just give us some solid drinkers!!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The big thing that I got from the article is "Big breweries are chasing trends" which is a loving shocker. I'm completely over ~crazy IPAs~ at this point and will generally go for anything that isn't hella good forward. I feel like a lot of these types of pieces are written for and about "average Joe" types who will just buy into whatever marketing or word of mouth appeals to them.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

bagmonkey posted:

Abita Turbodog on draft, bitch!!!!!

i loving love howe's

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A Coors Light allows me to enjoy fried wings more so than, say a Budweiser.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

bagmonkey posted:

a Very Bad WaPo article, surprisingly!

It's about beers and ABVs and it totally does not match my experience at all lol Everyone wants people to cool it with high ABV beers and just give us some solid drinkers!!
I'm in full agreement. Sure I love a strong beer/cider and getting pissed-up is fun but taste always takes priority over ABV. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I'm enjoying some 9% ABV poison if it tastes like a mix of battery acid and cat piss when I could easily have picked a decent 4% ABV alternative.

quote:

“Pale ales are a dying style,” says Suzanne Schalow
I know this article applies to the US and nowhere else but as a Brit this sentence had me choking on my burnt toast.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I know this article applies to the US and nowhere else but as a Brit this sentence had me choking on my burnt toast.

It's not even accurate outside of the macros-masking-as-craft-brewers group! Most craft breweries I go to these days are diversifying their selection and trying to balance having MORE styles, not consolidating down to 9% NEIPAs or NA craft brews. Pale ales are definitely on the upswing from the places I've been going to. Honestly, this upcoming week's vacation will be a great testament to where small batch craft brewing is right now.

On that note, here's a handful of the breweries we're going to be trying to hit:

Short's Brewing
Bee Well Cider and Mead
Stone Hound Brewing Co
St Ambrose Cellars
Two K Ciders
Sutton Bay Ciders
Lake Ann Brewing
Stormcloud Brewing (Belgian-focused brewery, the god drat best stuff but thats cuz I fuckin love belgians)

Promise there will be more, we're up there for 9 days and we're spending at least two days focused on drinking, so....

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
And as the OP of this fine thread, I'll make sure to post beer/cider/mead/etc lists everywhere I go. I'll try to remember to review them but it'll be a nice "How bullshit is that WaPo article" test

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Zeluth posted:

A Coors Light allows me to enjoy fried wings more so than, say a Budweiser.

Budweiser is good for when you're drinking beer and watching a show or doing something I guess. But like Coors Light or Miller Lite or PBR are way better bar beers

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bagmonkey posted:

Budweiser is good for when you're drinking beer and watching a show or doing something I guess. But like Coors Light or Miller Lite or PBR are way better bar beers

When you are right, you are right.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

:manning:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
As a dumb dumb who mostly drinks cocktails.

What constitutes a pale ale? Beyond I assume being... Pale and an ale.. maybe

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ZeusCannon posted:

It actually refers to the pale malt used in the brewing process rather than the color. Some are actually quite dark.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

That looks wonderful, I love it

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ZeusCannon posted:

Yep, BAGS is right! Pales are defined by having a more bitter, usually (but not always) hoppy taste. Not quite into IPA hop-splosion territory, usually tastes more like "beer" than IPAs too

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Our first two breweries have been decided upon!!!

Stone Hound Brewing of Williamsburg, MI
and
Silver Spruce Brewing (aka Family Video Brewing) of Traverse City, MI

Stone Hound is focused on making more traditional American craft styles, lagers, ales, pilsners, etc. They have some IPAs that reminded me of like, mid-00s IPAs where it was very hop centric and forward, with complimentary notes around it. I met the owner's wife my first time in, they really love what they do there.

Silver Spruce Brewing is a bunch of brothers who opened up a brewery and food truck in an old Family Video. They primarily brew European-style, mostly German, beers. I got to go right around Oktoberfest last year and man, they had some absolutely loving outta this world Oktoberfest styled beers that I'd die to have again.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

bagmonkey posted:

Yep, BAGS is right! Pales are defined by having a more bitter, usually (but not always) hoppy taste. Not quite into IPA hop-splosion territory, usually tastes more like "beer" than IPAs too

The most delicious pale ale I’ve ever had is Maine Beer Company’s Peeper. Just an absolute 5% crusher, and even better on draft if you’re lucky enough to find a pub that has it.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

God drat I love Urbanrest. Also nabbed a 4 pack of their English Dark Mild which clocks in at like 3.8%, aka the perfect abv for me

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Please note, Urbanrest is a ale/lager/pilsner-focused brewery and that's why I love them so much. They always have 2-4 IPAs or DIPAs or DDHIPAs or whatever variant they are doing

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It actually refers to the pale malt used in the brewing process rather than the color. Some are actually quite dark.

I would not have known this. Thank you for the insight.

I had a raspberry ale from a local brewery today. It was good. No idea what actual type of beer it was but it tasted fine

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ZeusCannon posted:

I would not have known this. Thank you for the insight.

I had a raspberry ale from a local brewery today. It was good. No idea what actual type of beer it was but it tasted fine

Tbh the best beer is one you enjoy

If u live by this advice, beer will bring endless enjoyment

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Went here with the fam tonight, had the Lansing Amber Cream Ale (Awesome) and Ludington Brewing Summer beer (also awesome).

I typed that yesterday and never hit send. Edible hit during dinner and I had a blast.

Today we went to Silver Spruce Brewing Company and Brewery Terra Firma in Traverse City. Silver Spruce is a very European-centric brewery, their Pivo was loving great and the Strawberry Blonde was outta this world. It had a flat, strawberry forward start, reminiscent of eating strawberries. Moved into a very... Beer taste, followed by more and more notes of strawberry. Absolutely monster of a 4.2% beer.

Brewery Terra Firma rocked again! The Wasabi beer was really awesome and surprisingly delicious, very drinkable. Also loved the Oatmeal Pumpkin ale and the vanilla porter.

More to come, cider day tomorrow!!!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Out at t'boozer, like..

All these great English beers and my mate brings back a round of Bud Light.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Biere De Mac Brew Works Blueberry Wheat. loving dope as hell.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
What are you drinking right now

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

It took me 32 years and a boyfriend from Milwaukee to start liking beer.

To be fair, I might just like him, and the beer is secondary.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Do you guys want a recap of the like, 7? 8? beer/cider places I went on my vacation? We checked a whole lot of boxes lol

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

bagmonkey posted:

Do you guys want a recap of the like, 7? 8? beer/cider places I went on my vacation? We checked a whole lot of boxes lol
Fire away!

bagmonkey posted:

What are you drinking right now
Staying in tonight because BOY HOWDY does the pub here get super-crowded to the point on Saturdays where it's easier and faster for me to go home and drink a can of beer then walk back to the pub rather than queue up at the bar, so I'm on the Zubr again; nothing to complain about!

I did nab a few bottles of Erdinger the other night though. Goes great with a meal.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Okay!

First brewery was Silver Spruce Brewing Co, aka Family Video Brewing bc they are in an old Family Video and kept the glass tower. They are in Traverse City, MI.

Silver Spruce rules. They brew lots of European styles, mostly focused on German beer. Their Oktoberfest lineup is loving amazing and my favorite thing ever

Next up is Brewery Terra Firma. They are out of Traverse City too, and all of their stuff comes from their own farm that's organic certified and carbon neutral and all that jazz. They are extremely good and worth visiting since you can really only get their stuff there

Next day we went to Two K Ciders in Suttons Bay, MI. They have some real good stuff, some real funky stuff too. Had a much more "winery" vibe than anywhere else we went. I forgot to take a picture of my flight or the board apparently so have this

And we rounded that day out with Suttons Bay Cider, where I made out like a mad man.

Suttons Bay Cider was much more of what I feel like a traditional cider place is. They had a bunch of different varieties, ranging from dry to sweet. Overall was my favorite of the two cider places we went that day.

Day after that, we ended up at Lake Ann Brewing, which was very very awesome. The Chocolate Orange Cream Stout was really good, tasted like those chocolate oranges you can find around Christmas. Their other stuff was very solid too, really enjoyed the vibes of their back patio and the pizza place next door.

We stopped at Mitten Brewing Co in Northport, MI before heading to our campsite the next day. I hope you can sense the theme of "we go to pretty much every brewery we can" because thats the theme here

We also stopped in at Bee Well Cider and Meadery in Bellaire, MI to visit my buddies Carly and Jeremy! They are my favorite cider/mead place in Michigan hands down. I am a lifetime member of their Horn Club because of that.

We also stopped at The Best Brewery In Michigan, Short's. You can't go Up North and not go to Short's!

After that we took a few days break on visiting breweries because where we were in the state just doesn't have a lot. That's fine though, we wanted some time to just sit at a fire and relax. We did hit two breweries on our last day because why not.

Biere De Mac Brew Works in Mackinac City, MI. Mostly Belgian and French styles of beer, lots of local-to-Michigan poo poo too. Their Blueberry Wheat is loving fantastic, tastes like freshly picked blueberries over top an amazing Belgian-inspired wheat.

And last was Paddle Hard Brewing in Grayling, MI. We tried to go here last year but they were closed for a private event. Since then, the two other Grayling breweries expanded and really made themselves look like a better option, but we figured we should check Paddle Hard off our list. They had solid beers and I got a cute shirt from them.

There ya go! Those are the breweries we visited on vacation. Northern Michigan loving owns if you like beer or cider or wine or all of the above.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jesus Christ, look at all the variety! I wouldn't want to leave!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Jesus Christ, look at all the variety! I wouldn't want to leave!

Michigan has an absolutely incredible plethora of breweries, ranging from super local places that don't can to place like Short's who are someone still maintaining their cred as brewers despite becoming insanely huge. I really recommend a summer trip to either western or northern Michigan, like Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Holland, even Petoskey! But if you do ever go, try hard to stop at Short's, place is a perfect brew pub

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I spent the like, last two months drinking way too much so I'm taking some time off the sauce. In the meantime, I might drag out some old photos of beers I never posted or continue posting about NA stuff I am trying

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

It's not Oktoberfest yet, but I'm having a nice Paulaner Märzen today anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i had some bean flicker from oddside and some founder's unraveled ipa

both were good