Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!

bagmonkey posted:

Funniest part is that the Midwest isn't entirely like that! In Michigan, Founder's All Day IPA and Bell's Two Hearted Ale are some of the most popular beers by a wide margin and M-43 NEIPA has become the drink of choice for people who wanna get beer drunk

M-43 came out after I moved to DC and I always grab some (and some Boss Tweed) when I come to town. There are only a few IPAs of any stripe that I like, but those are two of them. I never got into the ground-aspirin-dissolved-in-toilet-reservoir-water kind of one-note bitter stuff, but I love the super floral ones.

Beyond that, I’ve been particularly strong on the tastier barrel aged stuff. We canceled our Xmas travel to Michigan, but I met my brother half way to exchange a ton of beer we’d been picking up for each other over the last six months. Got some really, really wild and amazing things so I can tune out the noise of the self-destructing country and eventually nod off into rehearsal for my eventual, permanent sleep.

Lots and lots of bourbon, rye, and brandy barrel aged stuff. Revolution barrel stuff, some Bourbon County Proprietor’s, and even some great Bottle Logic stuff. Aside from the 12oz cans it’s all for sharing (near fire because winter.)

Happy drinking, goons :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Is anybody talking about lacing yet

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I decided to crack open one of my favorite beers because I forgot to drink it on Christmas

CELEBRATOR by Ayinger. I fuckin love my little ram ornament thing

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!
Got some homemade stout from a friend and it may not have been very stoutly but it was seriously delicious. Honestly, I never complain when someone wants to give me homemade beer.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

bagmonkey posted:

I decided to crack open one of my favorite beers because I forgot to drink it on Christmas

CELEBRATOR by Ayinger. I fuckin love my little ram ornament thing

I was always a Korbinian man. It is mostly plum with a hint of chocolate. Celebrator lets the bitter chocolate notes dominate over the plum. If you like chocolate more than plums, then Celebrator is the way to go. But you should check out Korbinian.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I bartended at a craft beer bar right as it was heating up in the US, so I'm jaded and mostly just buy what I like and ignore trends and fancy marketing. That said:

This stuff is stupid loving good. Blood Ceremony from Newgrass Brewing outta Shelby, NC. It's like drinking a cherry smoothie and it was entirely too expensive but my buddy bought it and I am not a complainer.

I stole this pic off untappd because I don't take pictures of beers I drink.

Beer good.

My only message to this thread is something craft beer fans already know: gently caress Rogue Ales. The owners are antilabor trash and "edgy" corporate shitlick MBAs who have cultivated a brand rather than a quality brewery.

I'd rather you drink AB InBev forever than another overpriced lovely Dead Guy Ale or whatever. But do what you want, I'm just saying the same thing every time the subject of beer comes up.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

spouse posted:

I bartended at a craft beer bar right as it was heating up in the US, so I'm jaded and mostly just buy what I like and ignore trends and fancy marketing. That said:

This stuff is stupid loving good. Blood Ceremony from Newgrass Brewing outta Shelby, NC. It's like drinking a cherry smoothie and it was entirely too expensive but my buddy bought it and I am not a complainer.

Beer good.

My only message to this thread is something craft beer fans already know: gently caress Rogue Ales. The owners are antilabor trash and "edgy" corporate shitlick MBAs who have cultivated a brand rather than a quality brewery.

I'd rather you drink AB InBev forever than another overpriced lovely Dead Guy Ale or whatever. But do what you want, I'm just saying the same thing every time the subject of beer comes up.

Yeah that's fine, but have you ever considered just drinking some amphibian eggs in water?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

wonder when pabst won that blue ribbon

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I was always a Korbinian man. It is mostly plum with a hint of chocolate. Celebrator lets the bitter chocolate notes dominate over the plum. If you like chocolate more than plums, then Celebrator is the way to go. But you should check out Korbinian.

Gonna put that on the list for when I go to The Nice Beer Place, thanks!!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

spouse posted:

Beer good.

I cannot wait until boozy smoothies are more widely available and cheaper. My local brewery started making "Bamboozies" during the pandemic, fruit smoothie mixed w/ in house brewed alcohol/beer for them. There's another locally that's like fruit smoothie seltzer and its the only seltzer I truly enjoy

Also thanks for the reminder of Rogue! Everything they make I can get a better version of locally but occasionally I see something that catches my eye, thats a good reminder to put it back down

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
This is probably the best beer I ever had. Only one, never found it again, and its probs long gone from production.

To Ol Gratze Mille

The beer I'm drinking now?

Just down the road and very awesome

Favorite of all time would be the original, it kinda just disappeared in 2015 or so? Nail Golden Ale. I cant find a picture of it, or Ferals Sorachi Ace which is probably best beer ever #2

Greg of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 30, 2021

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Lacing: 4.5/5

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Opinions on Kolches? I don't find them as refreshing as many people seem to say they are

I wish they had more mint beers

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

Professor Shark posted:

Opinions on Kolches? I don't find them as refreshing as many people seem to say they are

Its a Lager if you want a different yeast character.
(its a lagered ale)

Greg of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 30, 2021

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

I loving love kolsches but it's also a beer that I don't really recommend to anyone unless they definitely like Beer, with a capital B.

As for mint, I would be down for that. I really miss this local brewery that did a lot with locally-native flower infused lagers/ales/etc. That poo poo was delicious

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
When we get to page 5 I will reveal the one beer I actively hate and will openly refuse even if it's the only alcohol in the place.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I would never turn down a well-chilled PBR. The taste is okay. The price is right. And there is always a time and place for it (after another beer or two).

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

numberoneposter posted:

wonder when pabst won that blue ribbon

They've been coasting on that one win since 1893. This is actually a pretty interesting and convoluted story: Even that win may be a completely made up event, apparently the exhibition the fabled Blue Ribbon is tied to only awarded bronze medals to winners. My wife loves repeating the myth that Pabst won the award because they were the only ones with a working refrigerator and so their beer was cold and not room temperature like the other competitors. The timeline on refrigeration technology doesn't support this at all and she has no idea where she heard that one in the first place. The most likely scenario is that the Blue Ribbon beer was a marketing strategy Pabst launched after a year of winning multiple awards at different events instead of from a single award, that seems more impressive than the semi-official story.

Professor Shark posted:

If you can find it, Doobious Mintmallow from Badger State Brewing is a crazy good mint chocolate stout. Sierra Nevada makes Mint Stout which is a similar beer. The Great Divide makes a version of their Yeti line with peppermint and Guinness has a bourbon barrel aged chocolate stout out now.

Yesterday I drank one of my Christmas gift beers, Hoof Hearted Brewing's Fitness Freak. It's a 14%(!) Imperial Stout with a few seemingly incongruous flavors: coffee, vanilla and maple syrup. With an extremely dark and malty beer it all works out pretty well.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lazyfire posted:

Guinness has a bourbon barrel aged chocolate stout out now.

I forgot, I bought this at Meijer. It was absolutely not cheap, but the one I tried was really good. It was a perfect one-beer-night beer at the end of the night after dinner!

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Best (by which I mean it’s the only one I, personally, ever liked) mint beer is this pretty baller spin on a classic:

It’s that time of year

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Any good bar has a 15ml glass

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

It is a tricky style. We don't get a lot of the more exciting ones like Küppers or Mühlen in the US and while Reissdorf and Früh are classic examples of the style they tend to sit around for a looong time and Kölsch benefits from being fresh. But not too fresh, it needs to be lagered. And that lagering process runs counter to the TAT that most US breweries need for their product. So you end up with either old German versions or not properly lagered American versions that are basically just a golden ale.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

I like Kolsches, but they're not all the same. Keep an eye on the IBU score. I've seen them from pretty mild to very bitter, for some reason. I'm a malt head so I dislike the high-bitter range.

A helles is my fave, though. Never found a bad one.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

Vitruvian Manic posted:

It is a tricky style. We don't get a lot of the more exciting ones like Küppers or Mühlen in the US and while Reissdorf and Früh are classic examples of the style they tend to sit around for a looong time and Kölsch benefits from being fresh. But not too fresh, it needs to be lagered. And that lagering process runs counter to the TAT that most US breweries need for their product. So you end up with either old German versions or not properly lagered American versions that are basically just a golden ale.

Thank you for this

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought 4 pack of Tatamagouche North Shore Lager, which is a Kolsch. I have had it before and the company is pretty good, will report back.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Have some random pictures of beer I've liked over the years

I could drink this all day

Cheap rear end beer, but it's cold and cheap

I can also drink this all day long

Decent abbey style

Nice weizen

The actual good sour beer

One of the better casks beers I've had

The best beers are one where you can relax while drinking

:nws: beer and burger combo :siren:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m drinking a Sam Adams Golden GOAT right now and well, I may have another.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

I’m drinking a Sam Adams Golden GOAT right now and well, I may have another.

Are you tipping back the yeti?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

binge crotching posted:

The actual good sour beer

That a weisse mixed with woodruff syrup? I've only been to one brewery that served it, and wished I could find it more.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Currently drinking a Bell's Lo-Sun, lo cal wheat ale! It's okay. Lady bagmo loves it, not enough flavor for me.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Ravenbeer in Baltimore has the dark usher kolsch, it’s absolutely delicious. It’s very dark so if I had to guess it’s closer to the German version it’s definitely not a golden ale that’s for certain.

https://www.ravenbeer.com/beers

I’m currently drinking a new Holland dragons milk which is a bourbon aged stout. It is very good.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 31, 2021

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

AFewBricksShy posted:

Ravenbeer in Baltimore has the dark usher kolsch, it’s absolutely delicious. It’s very dark so if I had to guess it’s closer to the German version it’s definitely not a golden ale that’s for certain.

I’m currently drinking a new Holland dragons milk which is a bourbon aged stout. It is very good.

Nah, a real Kolsch is pretty pale. You can do a lot with debittered black malts and/or sinimar.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

Are you tipping back the yeti?

I’m just a plain ol’ suburban dad trying to make ends meet. You think I got a million dollars for a yeti? I’m drinking this bitch straight out the bottle.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It's AB-Inbev (blah), but I like a cold Modelo Negra.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

If you’re already in the Baltimore-ish neck of the woods, I would be happy to crack open a Triple Mash Dragons Milk and some other stuff, hell) if you ever make it down DC way and don’t mind beer by the fire (until covid permits otherwise.)

Triple Mash is dope and I’ve been lucky enough to get my hands on a few 4-packs the last couple years. poo poo is 17%, so better when shared.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deeters posted:

That a weisse mixed with woodruff syrup? I've only been to one brewery that served it, and wished I could find it more.

Yep, the Waldmeister syrup. They also do a version with a raspberry syrup that is good, but the woodruff is better.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Discernibly Turgid posted:

If you’re already in the Baltimore-ish neck of the woods, I would be happy to crack open a Triple Mash Dragons Milk and some other stuff, hell) if you ever make it down DC way and don’t mind beer by the fire (until covid permits otherwise.)

Triple Mash is dope and I’ve been lucky enough to get my hands on a few 4-packs the last couple years. poo poo is 17%, so better when shared.

I’m a couple of hours north of you right now. (Philly burbs)
I found ravenbeer at the beer, bourbon, and bbq fest in Towson. I’d go down with my sister and brother in law. (Until Covid anyway.)
The true pain in the rear end of it all is that I can’t find it up here in pa. Apparently you need an importer from another state because pa booze laws are loving stupid.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i envy those who enjoy dark beer, as there seems to be a huge spectrum of things to try

dark ipas and dark lagers and whatever german dark things (apart from the national psyche) are good to me though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

I’m a couple of hours north of you right now. (Philly burbs)
I found ravenbeer at the beer, bourbon, and bbq fest in Towson. I’d go down with my sister and brother in law. (Until Covid anyway.)
The true pain in the rear end of it all is that I can’t find it up here in pa. Apparently you need an importer from another state because pa booze laws are loving stupid.

I definitely find the PA rules around beer confusing, but it’s worth pointing out that, as blue and progressive as my county is, it stands out in MD as having the dumbest, worst post-prohibition alcohol rules around (no alcohol for sale in grocery stores and even the Wegmans isn’t allowed an exception.) There’s some mechanism by which stores and bars have to buy all of their stock from the county, who then delivers it. It really cramps selection and has the added benefit of jacking up prices on rare/interesting beer by 30-40% vs neighboring jurisdictions. If that sounds like a tiny violin, it’s worth highlighting another consequence, which is that people just don’t want to spend their outings drinking in bars/restaurants when they know they’re getting raked over the coals even worse than the standard hospitality markups, so it also serves to screw staff and restaurateurs alike.

I love where I live and feel I get great value-for-money tax-wise, but this antiquated bullshit sucks, so I buy everything outside my otherwise cool county.

There’s a really badass store near State College in PA that is interesting on its face, but if you go to the back of the store there’s a rack with a bunch of stuff they’ve been aging in-house and slowly putting out. Found some very neat stuff there the one time I was passing through.

If you spot some of the Weyerbacher barrel-aged, Belgian-style quad you should grab it. Outlandish bang for the buck. It is SO nice to drink.