Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
A wise little program once helped me put god knows how many security vulnerabilities in my C# projects. SInce the other nugget thread got closed, I want to hear any and all wisdom regarding nuget. TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
it seemed like a miserable experience and really put me off c# in general

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's like npm, but for a big boy language that they expect you to use for serious enterprise software

it sucks big time and makes no sense

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
its… fine? i can pull in packages and if I pull in garbo packages it’s on me. i would’ve pulled the garbo package without nuget as well

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

you can make your own nuget and name it something fun! like a yospos nuget could be named yuget

or nupos

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jabor posted:

it's like npm, but for a big boy language that they expect you to use for serious enterprise software

it sucks big time and makes no sense

It's always worked fine for me, our infra team hosted an internal one and then it all worked perfectly from visual studio. i never had to do anything weird and didn't have many non internal/non-MS dependencies but I think that's kind of the point of using c#

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Oh yeah, it'll always say that you need to update 110 packages, but you really only need to update 40 of them. If you update everything all your code will stop working.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Sorry I can’t post yet I’m have to fix some conflicting newtonsoft versions first.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nuget out

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

tk posted:

Sorry I can’t post yet I’m have to fix some conflicting newtonsoft versions first.

Hey, let me know the resolution for this. You'd think MS would just.... incorporate newtonsoft json into c# at this point. It's in almost every project. Makes you wonder what kind of clever exploit name it's going to get when someone finds a vulnerability.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Hey, let me know the resolution for this. You'd think MS would just.... incorporate newtonsoft json into c# at this point. It's in almost every project. Makes you wonder what kind of clever exploit name it's going to get when someone finds a vulnerability.

They've released their own (faster) JSON parsing library. I think it was done with the cooperation of the newtsoft guy, it at least wasn't contentious

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

here's a nuget of wisdom: running a local nuget repo sucks

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
just copy the libraries you need into /lib and check them into your vcs.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pointsofdata posted:

They've released their own (faster) JSON parsing library. I think it was done with the cooperation of the newtsoft guy, it at least wasn't contentious

I totally missed them doing this, this is good to know.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

here's a nuget of wisdom: running a local nuget repo sucks

idk i found it to be insanely easy, but also you should be using your azure devops repo instead.

nuget sucks for a bunch of reasons tho. it allows for scripting that runs when packages are added or removed which is just stupid. the reason this was done is also stupid: msbuild sucks poo poo. it doesnt have good extensibility, so everything must be managed through procedural build steps in your project file. many nuget scripts modify your config file to add build steps. this causes all the problems you think it would since theres no guarantee the project file is in a state appropriate for the scripts to run and the scripts cant possibly handle every edge case. likewise when you remove these packages they will often try to remove the poo poo they did to your project file which will almost always break something.

the way nuget handles symbols is loving stupid. you can have nuget create symbol packages, but visual studio cant use them. Symbol packages are intended to be loaded to a symbol server and then visual studio connects to that. Symbol servers are an archaic and stupid concept where you have symbols stored somewhere on the network and when you need them visual studio tries to find them on the server. servers are configured at the user level, not at the project or solution level. this means any time you try to search for symbols in any project ever it searches all your symbol servers. So all the slowness of network processing is compounded by the number of servers you have. The alternative to this would be to just to throw the symbol server feature in the dumpster where it belongs and instead download the nuget symbol package (if it exists) for the specific package you're using and then use those symbols locally. or just switch to using source packages like maven does which works way way way better.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
holy poo poo its even worse than i imagined

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
these days people dont use the scripting stuff, but the symbols are still a pain in the dick

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the scripting issues are also not really nuget's fault, as they were always hacks for failings in msbuild. msbuild should have been relegated to legacy languages and dumpstered for a maven clone.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ted nuget

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

strangehold

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my nugget wisdom is that you can put those veggie buffalo wings in the air fryer for about 13 minutes to get a good tasty crisp

*very important* I’m only talking about the morning star faux meat ones. idk how cauliflower wings would work

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
nuget is pretty good. setting up your own nuget infrastructure is...fine. C# is the lord's language. unfortunately, no package manager is going to stop you from downloading bad software hth

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im going to smoke some nugets of weed if you know what i mean.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

nuget is pretty good. setting up your own nuget infrastructure is...fine. C# is the lord's language. unfortunately, no package manager is going to stop you from downloading bad software hth

C# is great and its the best for web poo poo, but msbuild/nuget is absolutely awful when you contrast it with maven.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

C# is great and its the best for web poo poo, but msbuild/nuget is absolutely awful when you contrast it with maven.

on the other hand log4net doesn’t have any published rces so sticking with c# is the pro move

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tbh its wierd to me that anyone ever used log4j 2.0 at all. its litterrally a clone of slf4j but it came out years after slf4j so i'd think most people are either still using 1.2 or migrated to slf4j. who starts a new project with log4j 2.0?

ive been out of the java world for years now, tho, so idk.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaggar posted:

tbh its wierd to me that anyone ever used log4j 2.0 at all. its litterrally a clone of slf4j but it came out years after slf4j so i'd think most people are either still using 1.2 or migrated to slf4j. who starts a new project with log4j 2.0?

ive been out of the java world for years now, tho, so idk.

that's my experience doing our internal search for log4j usage. it's all 1.x if log4j at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
same. none of our projects used it. everything is slf4j interfaces with a logback backend