Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I'm rooting for the Iowa and the Bismarck,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

South Dakota looked at the gangut and went "No"

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

CAULDRON CAULDRON CAULDRON

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

See that Yamato battle there was a thing of beauty, something any fan of ships and grog would appreciate.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I am certain that a well known forum croctopus is pleased by all this Royal Navy Sinking happening here.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

North Carolina versus ALL the other losers, at once.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

We should do the Yamato home run league

Yamato fights a gauntlet of increasing amounts of standards until she loses, go for the high score

I think Yamato can beat at least 3

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Given the fleet nearly incited a war between the Russian and British Empire when they opened fire on the Dogger Bank fishing fleet (because they were clearly Japanese torpedo boats... in the North Sea), I don't think finding some British officers would have helped much.

There are plenty of British officers who would have approved of firing on the fishing fleet

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I feel bagging exotic animals the Russians bought with their own money would make up for it.

Oh yes I am sure some royal navy officers would happily help out in return for a gorilla or elephant or something to mount in their conning tower.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Arbite posted:

Humerously alliance could have been activated by the fact that Montenegro also declared war on Japan at the time but nobody elected to notice, even at the peace table.

Oh yes because the British would need to help out because MONTENEGRO got involved

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Torpedo Battlecruiser

Also we could go with ULTIMATE TUBA

just a big fat chonker with as much armor as possible and 21 knots

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Not The Wendigo posted:

Are we even supposed to be voting? Sounds like both matches are gonna happen.

we are meant to suggest and vote for a THIRD match

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Rather notably they still have their original powerplants and those things are at the end (if not past) their useful operational life.

Sounds like a good time to add some nuclear reactors in

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Sword of the stars.

The first one, there is no sequal.

This is entirely accurate, such a shame no sequel happened at all

none

never

Don't go looking

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Iowa continues to crush through anything in her way.

If her ai stays smart she might just gut Yamato like a fish before Yamato can hurt her back.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

I had the same thought, the game definitely does not target specific parts of the ship.

That said I'd imagine shooting through the same holes in that part of the ship over and over would be arguably even worse.

Realistically if you breached in one place in the vitals, you want to keep hitting there because the armor is gone and eventually you should break the ship apart.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's the bridge, and then there's the conning tower, which is a secondary command structure. It has significantly better armor, but in consequence, lacks amenities such as windows. The idea was that you'd use the bridge in normal times, because it had plenty of room for command staff and equipment, and then when a fight started, you'd transfer to the conning tower, so that your command staff wasn't in danger of being wiped out by a stray shell.

Wouldn't it be better to have this buried into the ship like an armored nugget?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Very good fight, Good Bote battles as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Slaan posted:

That was absolutely a clutch win from Iowa and poor captaining by Yamato. If she stayed at range Yamato would have won handily

Not really, at far range Iowa could punch through Yamatos deck, in the mid range while Yamato's armor was barely holding on the belt but Iowa was able to take out the areas outside it with accuracy and wound Yamato enough that she could not flee, at close range, Iowa was able to penetrate the belt.

Basically Yamato needed to be able to hold in that mid range on the belt but since Iowa could out manuever Yamato, Iowa dictated the range