Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Should the protagonist of Star Wars have turned evil and dated hot baby space Hitler? Signs point to yes. Discuss here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Reylo, or Rey, no! You decide.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Permission to selectively ignore especially bad movies?

While waiting for a response I will say that Finn and Rose was way better than whatever was going on in the third sequel. And yes I do include the obviously written out dalliance between Poe and Finn in that statement.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Glad to see the sequels haven't lost their ability to spark a discussion.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
That's a wide body

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the two of them didn't really have much romantic chemistry in Force Awakens, but all that soulful staring at eachother in Last Jedi did imply something might go on somehow, but if there was going to be an actual romance as part of a trilogy narrative, they should've pulled the trigger by the second movie if anything was going to happen because the third entry was going to be too busy trying to wrap everything else up.

I guess maybe the way that they team up to fight snake only to draw totally different conclusions as to what should come next was like a big action movie version of that Padme and Anakin picnic meme.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Hell, they could even just swap sides. Kylo and Rey each had a vision of the other turning, so just have Kylo save Rey and become a hero, while Rey realizes that the only way her story is going to make sense is if she forces it to, and becomes the villain.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
not gonna lie, there's a part of me that appreciates reylo because it's hosed up and transgressive

like, do i think that's a direction the movies should have gone? no. do i get a giggle out of it pissing off people? lol hell yeah

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's extremely funny that it pisses people off and I only wish it pissed people off more

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I was pretty into Reylo. It wasn't great- they weren't really pushing the envelope with it- but there was more meat to the idea than any of the other slim pickings of the sequel trilogy. Any space-port in a solar storm, as star wars might say.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think it was too subtle and should have been more like the prequels, where Anakin begs Padme to have sex with him. They could just have Adam Driver turn head-on to the camera and say "I am Kylo Ren and I am horny for Rey. She makes me penis go from soft to hard." See then it's like he's similar to Anakin, get it?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

not gonna lie, there's a part of me that appreciates reylo because it's hosed up and transgressive

like, do i think that's a direction the movies should have gone? no. do i get a giggle out of it pissing off people? lol hell yeah

it wouldn't be as transgressive if they had gone that direction i think

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It mighta pissed of nerds online but the theater I was in was way into it.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

TLJ would have been way better if Rey had accepted Kylo's offer, like as a way to save everyone on the planet, end the war, etc. It would have taken the series in an interesting direction other than being an inferior retelling of the original trilogy.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I don't see why she would have to become evil to date him, OP. You don't have to have the same politics as your partners.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Robot Style posted:

Hell, they could even just swap sides. Kylo and Rey each had a vision of the other turning, so just have Kylo save Rey and become a hero, while Rey realizes that the only way her story is going to make sense is if she forces it to, and becomes the villain.

yeah like

shouldn't they have...balanced the force??? by becoming neither light nor dark, no jedi no sith no problems. kill the past and all that poo poo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

"Balancing the force" by becoming equal amounts good and evil is the dumbest goddamn interpretation of Star Wars mysticism out there.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It would also have been pretty drat boring.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

"Balancing the force" by becoming equal amounts good and evil is the dumbest goddamn interpretation of Star Wars mysticism out there.

thank you for immediately making GBS threads on my post instead of like, making a joke or something. real dome you got here

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sorry, I've just seen that take enough (and even seen it take a sizable foothold in the EU) that I get kind of sick of it. It's kind of everything I hate about hot takes in Star Wars. It both futher takes away agency from non-force sensitives and attempts to retcon everything about the force up to that point.

Like if you want to go into more into finding a more complex stance between or apart from factions, step away from the force and look at the actual political forces of the galaxy (and it's not like the "factions" of the Sith and Jedi have all that much contiguity and coherence between them). If you wanna dive deeper into whatever mysticism about the force, you can do something weirder without um-actuallying the whole franchise.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Robot Style posted:

After TFA I was sure this was going to be the arc for them both, although I didn't think Rey would go full evil - I did think we'd see a very wrathful Rey bested and then spared by a more serene Kylo toward the end of 8, setting up a more sensible team-up with both as heroes in 9.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sorry, I've just seen that take enough (and even seen it take a sizable foothold in the EU) that I get kind of sick of it. It's kind of everything I hate about hot takes in Star Wars. It both futher takes away agency from non-force sensitives and attempts to retcon everything about the force up to that point.

Like if you want to go into more into finding a more complex stance between or apart from factions, step away from the force and look at the actual political forces of the galaxy (and it's not like the "factions" of the Sith and Jedi have all that much contiguity and coherence between them). If you wanna dive deeper into whatever mysticism about the force, you can do something weirder without um-actuallying the whole franchise.

yeah my whole point was that the jedi and sith are incoherent. that's like, a huge theme in the sequel trilogy. why not go one step further and just stop having jedi or sith. luke and ren both agree on that much - no more jedi, let the past die, etc. etc.

it's not about being "equal amounts good and evil" it's about finding a take on the force that doesn't intrinsically see it as "good" or "evil"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It would have owned if Rey turned and Finn got to be the Jedi hero he was hinted at being. Or have the sequel trilogy 3nd with a bad ending so that there is something to fight against in the sequel trilogy's sequel trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Or maybe make a movie where John Boyega isn't relegated to being the butt of every joke.