Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can we add like one sentence descriptions to the games

This is a good suggestion, maybe you can give it a go for a few, if several people write like 5 each, they'd all be written up pretty quickly.

quote:

, since just a name is unhelpful as gently caress

Just a name with a link to a BGG description is better than "unhelpful as gently caress", it's just possibly not as good as it could be, although length of the post is also a thing to consider. Could you be less abrasive to everyone around you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love Terraforming Mars, for the theme and the game elements. I'm annoyed by it, because I am never sure where I stand points-wise and always seem to lose when I think I'm winning and win when I'm sure I've lost. That's true of countless "count up the points at the end" games though and it's not a killer for me. I also get frustrated if I commit to a particular "thing" (like, I need to get lots of cards with science symbol on them" and then due to luck/variance I never see one again for the rest of the game.

Also I've pretty much only played TM two-player with my sister, who loves it more than I do, and she has her own playstyle idiosyncrasies, so as with most competitive 2-person games we play, our actual play may be somewhat different from "standard" or "normal".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It sounds like maybe they had a bad chat moderator. It's not a great look to have initially defended that policy and then turn around a day later and backpedal on it... but I've seen exactly that happen right here on SA, and not that long ago, so I have some insight into how that can happen.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was hoping to have a discussion with potatocubed but he's busy so you just get me, today. My moderator opinion is that whatever you may feel about PRADA's long-term tenor of posting, his post about crypto was fine.

Yeah crypto and blockchain are related but not synonymous concepts. The company I work for has a blockchain product, it's not crypto and it doesn't run on proof-of-work or waste lots of electricity to do transactions: it's just an open accumulative ledger that can be run on a server and authenticated by any user. Wasteful proof-of-work transactions are common but not required aspects of a blockchain implementation. As far as I know, we have not yet heard what exact form Kickstarter intends to roll out what they announced, and until we do, I think it's fair for someone - even someone named PRADA SLUT - to state factually correct information when people are accusing kickstarter of "crypto poo poo" in an inaccurate way.

There's plenty of grounds for criticism and I'm not outlawing that, here or in the kickstarter thread or (especially appropriate) the industry thread. Those threads are probably better suited to longer discussions about kickstarter.

Please try to be civil regardless. Report posts that break rules and cut back on the posting about posters. We are not threadbanning users without a lot of warning and clear communication about what is unacceptable and we are nowhere near that in this case.

---

Re: plastics, that's another area where I hope folks can have a reasonable discussion without being asses to each other? I agree with the posters who pointed out that yeah our toys that use plastic could use other materials, that using materials in general is problematic, and that we waste megatons of plastic in other areas of life that probably far outweigh the relatively small amount of plastic we're using in games. But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dancer posted:

Thank you for your valuable opinion on the topic of that Prada post as an isolated text.

I feel the need to point out tho: literally no-one was complaining about that Prada post as an isolated text. Why are you derailing the conversation?

The report queue says otherwise.

Bottom Liner posted:

What about the following troll posts rubbing it in our face that he's allowed to poo poo post? Exactly how many people here have to ask that he be thread banned before it's a serious enough issue for you to do something?

That's not "stating factually correct information" that's being a deliberate poo poo heel, with a whole trail of poo poo left before.

I sent PRADA a PM about those.

GrandpaPants posted:

Why are you even a mod if you're not going to remove toxic members of a community? Like what is your role here besides writing lots of :words: and :decorum: arguments?

We have one or two active threadbans in TG. That's totally a thing we do. But we're not at that point, or even near it, in this case.

If you feel I'm way out of line, feel free to appeal to an admin.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The General posted:

lol eat poo poo

Thank you for your input. I work for a huge software company with hundreds of products. Pays the bills, you know? I think this particular product is totally unnecessary, but they don't ask me for advice about it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Im pretty sure the second post was explicitly a joke about how bitcoin is crashing right now

Yup. It's literally a joke at the expense of crypto people.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Like what is the threshold of toxicity needed to get threadbanned?

Ignoring escalating probations for something. Singular very offensive posts get serious probations; some behavior will earn a ban or even a permaban. Merely being annoying deserves action, sure - but my style is to treat people like adults and talk to them and tell them what's wrong and what we want them to do or not do.

I don't read this thread. None of the mods keep up with it. We don't have an IK for it. So if someone's annoying for years, but only got reported last month, you can't really expect us to do some kind of big research project or whatever. I'm gonna respond to what I've actually seen, and what I've seen are a handful of bad posts in December that I responded to; and this week, one actually fine post about blockchain, one joke, and one post that is kind of needling people for being hypersensitive that I responded to with a PM.

The standard a few of you seem to want me to impose is not in line with SA or TG standards of behavior. If I applied that standard to PRADA SLUT I'd also be threadbanning about 20 people from the magic thread, for example. This is still SA, people are allowed to be rowdy and say swears and make off-color jokes and use sarcasm. I'm asking people nicely to be civil because I think that makes for better threads, but we're not kicking people out for mild incivility anywhere on somethingawful.com.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The General posted:

So you're saying that blockchain is a valid technology and using that arguement to support a poo poo poster, while also saying that it's not a valid product but it just happens to pay your bills? Why even mention that your company works on the blockchain at all then?

I explained that blockchain isn't synonymous with cryptocurrency, because that's a factual statement. I am not using that argument to support a poo poo poster, I'm using it to explain why that post, which pulled a report, isn't gonna get probed. I mentioned that my company makes that product by way of explaining why I have some familiarity with it. And I am not in any way defending crypto. Is that clear enough for you, The General?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think if you want to do it, it'd be reasonable to quote or link to a particular goon's attestation about a particular retailer without editorializing; in that way, you're not asserting it yourself, you're just highlighting a post, not that different from how a retail aggregator like Amazon allows customers to post reviews about their sellers. That said, it's also definitely not a requirement for an OP to do homework or keep track of things you don't feel like doing.

That aside, Infinitum I didn't realize you and your santa were still dealing with that poo poo. Let me know if there's any way I can assist.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have the "Gibson Cover" version of Britannia, purchased in England some time around 1990. I recall it being interesting from a historical perspective, but not especially well designed. The last time I broke it out was in the late 90s and one playthrough was enough for everyone involved.

However, there are newer editions with revised rules, so it may be considerably better now. Reviews seem generally positive. So my point I guess is that if you buy it used, buy one of the 2nd edition or newer versions, not the old 1986 version.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hempuli posted:

The mention of GPT-3-generated boardgame descriptions earlier made me want to generate boardgames (although my algorithm is much cruder):

I genuinely want to play like half of those games

Viking in Burgundy is historically accurate
So is Unfair 1861-1865
Fascinated by the 1775 game written in 1876

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

El Fideo, I don't see anything about transphobia in Rutibex's rap sheet, nor in the last couple of pages of his posts in the old boardgame thread. Given the accusation, can I please have a link? Not to defend him especially, mind you; but if he's not posting here, he's not here to defend himself if that's a mis-recollection or something. The previous board game thread is here. This is Rutibex's last post in it.

Could you you be thinking of someone else?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Was the trad games irc channel tied to this thread or to a different thread? It would've been a few years shy of a decade ago now.

#partyhard on synIRC is still running, if that's the one you mean?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stickman posted:

If you insist on receipts, follow these links. I'm not going to poo poo up this thread by quoting them (and it's a terrible gbs thread full of lovely transphobes anyway).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773869&userid=25863#post459483257
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773869&userid=25863#post459634274
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773869&userid=25863#post459449937

I definitely remember some transphobic bullshit in the BG thread too, but I not going to wade through the swamp to find it.

Got it, thanks. Wasn't run out of this thread for it, but definitely said all this poo poo.

I asked in the thread only because el fideo doesn't have PMs. That was probably still an error on my part. Please carry on, this topic doesn't need further elaboration here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

It would have been better if instead of focusing on defending you just said something about wanting receipts so you can have them on hand if he ever comes back or forward them on to an admin

Fair enough, that's a part of it, but I also feel a responsibility to make sure false rumors don't get spread about someone. It could easily have been a mis-recollection (as had just happened, regarding Broken Loose/cereal boxes!) and I felt like maybe this thread needed to know if that was the case. Which I suspected, because as I said, I looked and didn't find anything.

Part of the less pleasant part of the job of moderating, is making sure that lovely posters only catch grief and probations for the actual poo poo they're actually posting, and don't wind up being the victims of false accusations that portray them as much shittier than whatever level of actual shittiness they actually are. Feels kinda gross to do sometimes, but if we don't do it, people can just make up lies to attack their posting enemies freely and that leads down a dark road for the forums as a whole.

So yeah. Rutibex was not run out of the board game thread for transphobia, or even really for racism; he was discouraged by other posters mostly because he had relentlessly terrible opinions about games. But also he's done both of those things in other forums at other times, so the characterization seems fair to me. Apologies again if this has been an annoying derail.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ibn's post history in TG is exclusively in a call of cuthulhu recruit thread, and TG secret santa. Hasn't posted since feb 20th. Infinitum, I'll ask in the cthulhu thread, and otherwise let's keep it to PMs for now, in case there's a privacy issue.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We have made Mayveena an IK for this thread. Thanks for being willing to take on this lovely volunteer job, Mayveena!
Thread: be patient with your new IK as she learns the ropes, listen to her and try to be a contributor to good discussion and chat about board games. Thanks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We try to find IKs for threads that need a lot of moderation or are high-traffic, because there's only two mods and we're not here all the time. We identify IKs who we believe can be good members of the team, not to act as robots to blindly enforce our will. My expectation is that Mayveena will use her best judgement, and ask us for help whenever she needs it.
There's a good thread that explains how IKs work in Ask/Tell if you want to know the details.

I'd let Mayveena speak for herself, but I have not told her to ignore context with handling posters or posts. I guess what she was suggesting is that posters in the thread should default to assuming others' posts are in good faith, instead of reading an attack or a trollish intent into every post someone makes? It's helpful for conversation in general to not just presume everything someone says is intended to make you mad. That's good advice for having a constructive thread.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just to be clear on a minor detail, Mayveena can also discuss things with potatocubed, our other TG mod; or with any admin, especially if either of us aren't available or if its an emergency. I happened to be the one to send over the IK intro packet etc. today but selection of IKs and IK relations are a team effort.

We consider the matters of the kingdom: death stuff resolved. It doesn't need to be re-litigated.

Bottom Liner I'd appreciate it if you'd stop claiming to represent a thread consensus opinion. Folks can speak for themselves.

Lastly, your accusation about a mod leading an offsite brigade to harass you on SA is extremely serious. Please take that accusation directly to the admins and/or Jeffrey. I mean it. We have zero tolerance for that sort of thing, and have permabanned mods in the past for it. Whatever receipts you can provide will help. I can't guarantee you results, because of course the details matter, but I can guarantee you that complaints like that are taken seriously, no matter who they come from.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think you can speak for yourself, Dancer, yes. I stand behind that. No single goon ever speaks for a thread. Threads aren't singular entities. I'd say the same to anyone.

The requisite amount for threadbanning isn't three light probations for some trolling, no. You'll be able to tell someone's close to a threadban by the way they've been specifically warned they're about to be threadbanned; by the ban+30 or similar on their rap sheet; and by the way their behavior compares to other places in TG and on SA where people have crossed that line. It's not even that PRADA hasn't crossed that line: that poster is miles away from it. It's frankly baffling and frustrating to have to respond to this demand, again. I think you and Bottom Liner - and anyone else who thinks PRADA has earned a threadban - have wildly miscalibrated senses of what gets you kicked out of places on SA.

Irrespective of any consensus, real or imagined: this isn't a democracy and people in a thread don't get to evict posters by vote, either. SA as a forum could not function that way.

I'll reiterate that I'm not a lone arbitrator here. There are avenues you are welcome to pursue if you feel me, or potatocubed, have been making bad decisions. I invite you to use them.

If you think PRADA SLUT's posts are intolerable, use your ignore list; and if you think I or potato are totally off base, contact an admin or take it to QCS. If you think IKs are useless, well, sorry, we have hundreds on SA and they're part of the structure of forums moderation here, that's not changing. And if you think Bottom Liner's posts are perfect representations of your own opinion, that's fine, but nobody gets to speak on behalf of everyone who has or might post in a thread. Threads aren't clubs and they don't have club presidents.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's explicitly the moderators' position that protesting Kickstarter for blockchain is a good and true position, and arguing against it is probatable.

That is absolutely not our position.

Our position is don't be a big rear end in a top hat or intentionally troll the thread; extended conversation about Kickstarter belongs in the Kickstarter thread, and extended conversation about the industry and its ills belong in the TG as an Industry thread. But all human activity is inherently political, and we cannot practically ban some level of political talk in any TG thread. Whether that's folks in the Magic or D&D threads talking about missteps at Wizards, or folks in the White Wolf thread talking about Paradox and Chechnya, it's going to happen.

We ask people to be respectful and to not create huge derails. We ask you to not call each other idiots. We suggest making friends instead of enemies.

FirstAidKite posted:

I think the only ones who have ever been probated for it are prada slut, who has a habit of trying to stir up trouble specifically about kickstarter and those who don't like it, and jarofpiss, who has posted outright that they don't actually care about any of this and have posted that they're only posting because they are upset about being probated half a year ago.

No one else who has talked about it has been hit by a probation as far as I can tell.

You're allowed to have a limited discussion here and give your positions if you can do that in some basic level of respectful way, yes. We're not hitting PRADA or jarofpiss or anyone else for merely not agreeing with the anti-kickstarter folks in here.

Mayveena posted:

Note that I did not put jarofpiss on probation for that post. That was an admin. Talk to them.

It was me, just a mod. Although we've got an admin or two paying attention behind the scenes, they're not telling us what to do.

Funso Banjo posted:

To be fair, the second post of the OP is just a gigantic list of things to be pissed off about in board games. It kind of sets the tone.

The OP of this thread represents Magnetic North's opinion; that's how OPs work. He sourced some of that from others in the thread, as a voluntary effort, and effort is appreciated! However, I do not hold exactly the same opinions and nobody should assume that he speaks for everyone in the thread either - threads aren't closed club houses with inviolable rules nailed to the front door by the OP, they're places anyone who spends ten bux on an SA account can share and use and post in. Several other posters post pro-kickstarter stuff without getting probated because they are not being jerks about it. There's even a kickstarter thread that is all about backing stuff on kickstarter, and that's part of the same community as this boardgame thread. We don't give the OP of this thread special powers in determining how we moderate it or what is or is not an acceptable opinion to post.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Orange DeviI posted:

jesus christ just one week without this bull poo poo

man I would really like that too

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

For the first and third posts in the OP, I agree wholeheartedly. They represent my opinion and that of goons.

However, since the repeated threadshitting always stems out of things in the second post of the OP (it started last thread with Representation then evolved to Crypto and KDM) so let's narrow the scope to that. I'd like to say that I very seriously don't like the claim that the contents of the 2nd OP are 'opinion.' For the social issue section I have done my level best to make it as neutral, factual and evidence-based as possible. Of course, I may have some blindspots or oversights in there, since I am human. If there is a factual error I welcome anyone to PM me any suggested corrections with sources. Whether this type of information dissemination actually matters or is meaningful or worthwhile or helpful is all matter of opinion, but the facts themselves at issue are not.

I appreciate the second post as a sincere effort to provide valuable information and you spent a lot of time on it. TG needs this kind of info. Genuinely, I appreciate it.

However, OPs are not "special" in the sense that they inherently imply moderator-enforced rules or positions that nobody's allowed to challenge for fear of punishment. I won't probe or ban people just for posting different opinions from what you've posted in the OP. Or challenging statements of fact, either. I'm also not here as a mod to impose my own opinions as law, I'm not even a thread regular. Why would my opinion on any given game or company listed in the OP matter? It doesn't. A moderator should enforce rules that allow constructive conversations, not disallow them.

quote:

You literally have the power to stop this.

We have already been over this. Take it to QCS, seriously, I'm sick to death of it. OR PM an admin. Hashing out what constitutes appropriate punishments is off topic for the boardgame thread.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

The fact that you think that what has continued to derail this thread counts as 'constructive conversations' is all that needs to be said.

Here is an example of the constructive conversation that is allowed in the thread:

Aramoro posted:

Also if promotion of KS games is bad then why aren't we boycotting BGG, the main page is just a carousel advertising Kickstarters?

And your own response:

Magnetic North posted:

I like this post.

See? Respectful discourse. Not a derail. Can you let me explain this to folks like PerniciousKnid and Funso Banjo, to make it clear that it's possible to have non-trolling discourse about topics raised in your OPs, or is it just impossible to have a conversation about board game thread moderation that doesn't revolve around your particular beef?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Original Axis and Allies (Spring 1942) was unwinnable by the Allies if the Axis understood how to play their side well. There's dice rolls so there's an element of chance, but there's so many dice rolls that the bell curve of results eventually wins out. The Axis starts with more units, the Allies with more production capacity, but the Axis can always stab for Moscow and capture Russia's production faster than the Allies can produce units to stop them, and once they have Russia, they'll outproduce the Allies as well.

I think this is less of a "solved game" than an "inherently unbalanced game" that needed tweaking to balance. I bet there's other examples.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fellis posted:

Yes its this, most people do not leverage the US/UK resources to support USSR properly (fly planes to Karelia to defend basically) and they fold too fast to Germany. The Allies have the advantage if played correctly.

Just to be sure, you're talking about the original, unrevised version from the 1980s, since that's the one I was mentioning? Because I know there was a balance change to the game, IIRC some time in the 90s or early aughts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Re Axis & Allies: HMmmmmmm.
I never played it that much. On USENET in the mid-90s, there was a fair bit of discussion about optimal strategy - at that time, there were fewer versions/revisions/updates to the game. As I recall, the consensus was that Germany stabs straight for moscow with everything it has, and the allies cannot prevent it or recover when it wins. BUT I guess there's several possibilities: they could have been full of poo poo, I could be remembering wrong, and I could have the combo of game edition/variants/strategy wrong because my memory is fallable.

In any case it sounds like the game was rebalanced in 2004? I wonder if it's actually an enjoyable game now. When I played as a teenager it was a massive slog and not very much fun once we got past the novelty of "it's like RISK, but with awesome little tanks and submarines and all these cool fiddly details" and realized that it took 5 hours to play and usually one player got hosed early and wound up sidelined.

e. I'm remembering wrong, based on skimming old USENET stuff in rec.games.boardgames. Must be.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 12, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

Twilight Imperium (2e) was way better than AA, basically the same combat system but with spaceships and action cards, also you could vote down laws that nobody cared about.

Oh god yes, I have TI 2e (and had 1st e, lol) and the main annoyance is that they keep making new editions while I've only gotten to play the one I bought like... twice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

No, but of all normal-ish board games, that might have enough oomph to buoy its own thread, is an enthusiast wanted to make one.

Even threads that have only a short-term interest are welcome in trad games. I've noticed Root discussion popping up in here near-daily for a while, so I think it could be a good idea if anyone wants to go for it.

If you do, we can link it from the thread about threads and thread ideas, as well as from here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FedEx is actually two companies, because they use a contractor for "FedEx Ground" and that contractor suuuucks. "Regular" FedEx, which you'll get (at a high cost) for any air delivery, is pretty good in that it has union employees, decent tracking, and actually processes insurance quickly. But FedEx Ground will lose (or steal) packages and if you try to fix things, FedEx customer support can't do much because everything is at arm's length.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh they're actually even more than 2 companies apparently. This Quora explanation is a good summary:
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-FedEx-run-its-Express-and-Ground-services-as-if-they-are-separate-companies

quote:

FedEx Ground was originally RPS (Roadway Package System) a direct competitor to UPS. From its inception in 1973, Federal Express invented and controlled the express delivery market. By the early 80's they had competitors like Emory Air Freight and Purolator. However, in the late 80's, UPS began to compete directly by offering a next day delivery option. With UPS taking some of the overnight market share, Federal Express needed a "ground" component to compete. Federal Express bought out RPS. Shortly thereafter, Federal Express created a parent corporation and rebranded as "FedEx Corporation".

Air freight is a very small component of UPS's business, so it wasn't difficult to incorporate that in to thier existing system. However, adding the much larger ground freight business into FedEx's specialized air freight hubs would have required a complete rebuild. Rather than try to integrate two different systems, which would have cost billions, FedEx chose to keep thier express and ground components separate.

FedEx now has several companies, all specializing in a different part of the transportation business.

Fedex operates: Express, Ground (and Home Delivery), Freight, Custom Critical, Office and FedEx Services. All are tied together by one sales team and call centers, but operate independently.

and

quote:

Why does FedEx run its Express and Ground services as if they are separate companies?

The very, very short answer is “unions”.

FedEx-Express is an airline. Even the workers on the ground who never get in a plane are considered airline employees, and thus the rules on them potentially organizing, and what they could do if they did organize is severely limited.

The people who work for FedEx-Ground are mostly contractors, and employees of contractors. The contractors themselves are not employees, so they can’t unionize, and many of them have so few employees that they can’t unionize, either.

So FedEx Ground is a subsidiary, and most of the trucks and delivery drivers etc. work for contractors of that subsidiary. Layers within layers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah this is just general "shipping things is a hellish nightmare" generic posting, not sure if it's relevant to the boardgame thread. I only found out about what's up with FedEx Ground when my wife and I got Pixel phones and a FedEx Ground driver "lost" them by delivering them to a nonexistant address several blocks away, and was then impossible to contact, and Google and FedEx Ground both insisted the other was responsible, while FedEx customer support insisted they could do nothing since it was FedEx Ground and not them who lost the package. Eventually Google were the good guys and sent us replacement phones. FedEx never copped to recording a delivery to a nonexistent address and the best they ever came up with was "can you go to that address and ask for your package?"

Nowadays I go for USPS, or UPS Ground if USPS isn't an option.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

they get an extra hour in the ball pit

oh man, I just remembered that, lol

if this was before your time or you somehow missed this one, google "dashcon"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

this is more for the industry thread since it's not really about board games. also it sounds pretty rad to be honest

For the record, this news is appropriate for both threads to discuss.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Im stuck in colorado helping my elderly parents move and al! i have is a phone and a kindle so i cant easily type out everything i want to say. but ill try.
We picked mayveena as an ik candidate for the reasons already mentioned, shes a great boardgame expert and it seemed she was well liked here.

iks are not substitute mods and we never could or intended to ignore this or any other tg thread. thatts just not how it works. A dedicated ik could sometimes catch problems brewing faster than mods covering the whole forum, and can advise mods with contxt for occasionally baffling reports. I read every post in this thread but sometimes im 2 days behind and an ik that keeps up daily can be a better in problem threads. Basically an IK adds help, she doesnt replace mods.

apparenly there was discord drama but other than hearing there was drama i don't know what, nor do i want to really. Mayveena said something about separating from the discord a while back. I dont know if saying she was run off is accurate or not but if so I cant imagine why, shes hardly a problematic poster or anything?

Mayveena seemed distraught over every thread issue. She made an error of interpretation of a post and probed herself as some sort of self punishment for example. She said a lot of stuff in pms, I regard pms as private and would not share the contents without her permission but the gist of it is she seemed unhappy all the time with what is supposed to be a casual volunteer low stress role. And no it wasnt all about those two posters either. When admins started saying we should just de ik her i said she deserved more time tonsettle into the role and she gotntwo or three more months of us trying to encourage her to not worry so much, keep feeling out the role, and so on.

I honestly thought shed be glad to be de-iked at the end and asked her in that pm if she thought it would be fair to call it a mutual parting of ways. My first concern was to avoid giving people who didn't like her any reason to gloat or something. Because genuinely I think she has been and is great as a poster and im sorry that being an ik caused her so much stress.

I think its unfair to claim we hung her out to dry. In fact we gave mayveena more direct support in three or four months than any other ik in TG has needed or asked for in my two years as a mod.

I hope i am making it clear here that the real issues weren't specific probation decisions or a choice between three days or a week probation that she disagreed with. Mayveena wasnt OK with what she felt was her responsibility and we didnt have the tools or the rules on sa to suit her vision of what she thought she should be doing and she didnt seem to accept the scope of the role.

On the day i sent her the pm saying anti, myself, and admins had decided to de ik her i drafted an announcement in the mod forum and anti made a suggestion or two on it, but an admin said it would be better not to say anything until mayveena decided if she was going to say something herself and i went along with that. after a week or so we should have gone ahead and i regret not acting regardless of admin advice. That was a mistake on my part. I admit i was not looking forward to the drama i anticipated and that made it easier to let more time go by. Im sorry for not making an announcement earlier.

Sexism is not a factor here, and i think its gross to level that accusation without reciepts. I would ask anyone claiming sexism to post any evidence of that because its a serious charge to me. Or send it to an admin if you want.

Lastly I want to say that I dont like posting about mayveena like this, it feels really bad to out these issues because we were the ones who came to her asking for help and she doesnt deserve this sort of negative attention and I kind of resent the weird theorycrafting here that has made it necessary for mods to defend decisions in public that were made in private for good reason.

If you want to hate on me i can take it its part of what i signed up for i guess but please dont demand that mods share more of mayveenas PMs because unless she tells me directly to post things and exactly what to post im not doing it. If that means a fantasy about what happened is going to persist i guess i cant do anything more about that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Crackbone posted:

To be clear, saying a woman is “difficult to work with” is a loaded phrase that has sexist undertone, even if it’s not intentional.

Ok I can see that phrase is problematic, and while I know women can be sexist too, I think it does matter that the mod using those words is also a woman, im not sure if people noticed on her profile. It seems unlikely that the best explanation for antivehicular finding someone difficult to work with is that she's just sexist.

Magnetic north and bottom liner seem to be talking about how, since we failed to threadban posters who are ok with the content of games like kingdom death, we're sexist. That's bullshit. If they meant the thread itself is sexist because its tainted by those posters, i disagree with that too, but at least thats a disagreement on mod policy and not necessarily an accusation that I or Anti or former tg mod potatocubed etc must be sexist. Just, you know, sexist enablers.

That is maybe the root thing. Bottom liner and magnetic north maybe thought mayveena was supposed to rescue the thread from the mere presence of the gross game-likers but she never had that power and was not actually responsible for that. I hope people weren't demanding that of her on discord or wherever.

Regardless, since my moderation decisions from months ago are under attack again, and im being accused of driving mayveena away, and im posting from a kindle till friday, im asking admins to step in and field qs, review my decisions if they see fit, etc. Thanks to videogames for jumping in. I will of course defer to admin direction, as i have throughout.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've had a lot of fun times with the various iterations of Thunderstone (currently Thunderstone Quest).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Store it in a closet forever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Is there a thread for tarot and oracle cards and fortune telling stuff or would that fall under board games as a form of card game

This thread last used in 2021 is the closest fit we've had in TG. You're welcome to necromancer it if you want.

Another answer is that tarot/oracle decks actually used for fortune-telling isn't really a game, and chat about it maybe goes in Hobbies, Crafts & Houses, or perhaps Creative Convention if you wanna talk about the art aspects.

But I don't give a poo poo, it's TG-adjacent enough that I think you could just post about it in TG.

The funniest option might be posting in the poker forum.