Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

CommonShore posted:

Spirit Island is the trains game of games that aren't about trains.

Hear me out - Spirit Island 2, now with competitive gaming, where one faction is the spirits trying to chase off the settlers, and the other faction is the settlers trying to build trains around the island.

Maybe there's even a pandemic raging on the island while all this goes down. And that's when a party of adventurers shows up...

Just think of all the minis this kickstarter would sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Suddenly Susan posted:

Destinies
We did the first scenario. This is a “competitive” choose your own adventure game using an app. It didn’t seem like there was any way to interact with the other player other than using up a location first. It was easy to learn and didn’t overstay its welcome, but felt odd to be racing in a game where most of the fun was in exploring all the different map tiles. Whoever gets lucky in heading the right direction more often will progress the story, while the other player is just getting more powerful. However, getting more powerful doesn’t help you win if you don’t end up on the right map tiles. I don’t see there being much replay value in a scenario as the map and encounters seem static.

Judging by my friend who duo'd the whole campaign with his wife then alternately showed it off to me and a couple others, the replay value is in stomping newbies because you remember where everything is and they are still stumbling around trying to figure out which threads to latch onto.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

My group does our online gaming on TTS so I'm used to its quirks and we've played a dozen Spirit Island games from 2-4 players with it with a few different mods. Some have more scripting than others. It's basically just like having the board game with a bit easier setup and cleanup. I think we currently use the same one as FACKER.

The official game enforces the rules so it's better for learning. But in our multiplayer beta games we had a few game ending bugs and desynchs that would have been easy fixes in TTS. Hopefully that will be mostly hashed out by the beta. Personally I'm still getting used to how it zooms through everything that doesn't require your input, especially event cards. I've only been playing it for a week so I'm sure i'll get used to it.

Haven't tried vassal.

Our usual host owns the physical game with everything from each kickstarter including some beautiful storage/organization trays that are unfortunately broken token.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Weren’t those spirits included on the JE kickstarter? I may be mixing it with the TTS version I’m playing.

Downpour Drenches the World and Finder of Paths Unseen were a promo pack on the JE kickstarter, Heart of the Wildfire and Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island were a promo pack on the original game kickstarter. So they have been in the tabletop simulator mods for a while, and the latter two are in the steam game already as a buyable promo pack.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

My only bad kickstarter was from a goon. She was selling tarot cards with neat art. I actually missed the kickstarter and got in on indiegogo just afterwards but it looks like the project got ghosted on all fronts, aside from a message from one of the artists saying they couldn't reach the creator either.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

I don’t know. I have really not enjoyed Sharp Fangs. I find Thunderspeaker is a lot more fun in terms of having a spirit that pushes/pulls pieces on the board.

Same plus Many Minds Move as One is a better beast spirit though I've only recently played Fangs enough to get a handle on it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

We played our first in person game of Nemesis Lockdown (after 3 TTS demo runs) and it went about as expected. One guy had incredible luck and got out early only to die to the post game contingency effect (which I believe is one mechanic layer too many in an already busy game). I ruined my exit by not trusting my best friend because he betrayed me the last time we played and had spent the pregame banter bragging about it. I still made it out but died to the contamination check. Everyone else went down in a Benny Hill pile of aliens.

It was fun but messy. The host did offer pure co-op next time but the gang shouted no, they love the paranoia and backstabbing. They left reminiscing about the time in the original game that everyone worked together selflessly and got out alive but one player had betrayed everyone by setting the nav computer to Mars while lying about it, so he was the sole winner.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Let the games begin..

Good luck! I hope Player 3 pulled the queen in round 1.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Why would you say this?

Lol, good ole Nemesis. I said it because I'm used to planning for my friendlier goal only to have everything go to crap for half the ship so very early that we all shrug and take the corporate goal. Generally we just try to get ourselves out alive while confidently assuming our target will die on their own, but there has been hilarious use of the room that blockades then ejects another room into space. Don't idle in a yellow room without your door demolition card.

Glad you had fun. One of my players swears the dice are weighted to the creeper symbol even in Lockdown.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Is there also a list of what cards are in each draw pile? Was trying to find 'Chemicals' and guessed the wrong pile twice

This guy made a list of the base game cards from 2018 that shows the draw piles. There is a lot of crossover. Chemicals look to be solely yellow but energy charges are in red and yellow, and clothes are in green and yellow for instance. I think the expansions add more as well.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Ready and setup. Lads day, and they each get a $2 chocolate if they complete their objective successfully.

If not I keep em :getin:

Good luck. Thanks for linking the No Rolls Barred playthroughs earlier, I've enjoyed watching a few of their Let's Plays though they do get quite a few rules wrong. Especially in vanilla Nemesis, like only remembering to move aliens with the event card when it might help them, when by the rules any aliens in a room with a character wouldn't move. Still, the playthroughs were tense and it looked like they had a blast. I don't see that they repeat games often but I hope they do another Nemesis or Lockdown run.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

They called it Ark Nova after their bid to get a merchandising license for hit 2011 film "We Bought a Zoo" fell through.

An official digital version of Nemesis Lockdown started its closed beta on Steam yesterday and my group's resident Nemesis nerd who bought into all the kickstarters got an invite and is really enjoying it. His major complaint is you have to zoom out to check the full map to see what the noise situation in the next room is. He says its a pretty good adaption of the board game. It's not related to their other steam game, Nemesis: Distress, which is a first person pov version of the first Nemesis game and needed a lot of work when I tried it a few months ago.

Also if you missed it and play that version, Gloomhaven's Jaws of the Lion expansion came out on steam for the digital game, there is some commentary over in the Gloomhaven thread.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Spirit Island is great, we love getting in over our heads and pulling out wins with the island covered in bullshit. We've played so much I'm kind of burnt out on the jagged earth spirits and they haven't even come to the steam version yet (we play there, on steam tabletop, and in person).

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Bacon Bandits is a legacy game with 120 missions and $300 worth of miniatures.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I'm watching some of No Rolls Barred's Blood on the Clocktower runs and they are pretty good. Not something I'd want to play myself but they are fascinating to watch. Are the three bluff roles the demon is given by the storyteller just roles that are guaranteed to not be taken by a player already? Possibly roles that the storyteller might think will stir things up? The demon and minions can ignore them and claim whatever roles they think they can get away with?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

It's drop in and drop out too with the host keeping the saves and delegating players, but everyone else gets a copy too.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

These are some of the coop games my group enjoyed at one point or the other. For what its worth Spirit Island, Nemesis, Marvel Champions and Gloomhaven are our most-played.

rpgs - Tiny Epic Dungeons (our host's favorite quick coop game), Warhammer Quest: the adventure card game and its reskin once they lost the license Heroes of Terrinoth (one of my favorites, it has a couple campaigns but they don't take long), Nemesis and Nemesis Lockdown (Alien/Aliens themed sci fi. Has true coop, or adversarial coop), Destinies (multiple campaigns but replayability sucks since veterans will know what to do), Lord of the Rings Journeys in Middle Earth (should be a chill exploration game but the timer is pretty tightly tuned so you can't get lost smelling the roses, requires a digital steam app to play dungeon master/narrator. My friend uses his laptop), Hexplore It (various titles with variations on theme, uses dry erase boards. I just received the new Castlevania looking one to try out from the kickstarter)

LCGs (limited card pool, no randomness in collecting) - Marvel Champions (easiest), Arkham Horror LCG (harder, getting reprints and new content currently), Lord of the Rings LCG (hardest, getting reprints now). Difficulty depends on your card pool, willingness to make broken decks/play broken characters, and a bit of randomness. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is a bit more self contained. I got the Wrath of the Righteous set after enjoying the PC game, though its based on the tabletop and doesn't have the new characters. A friend enjoyed the Obsidian adaptation of the base game on steam.

I've got a copy of Aeons End Legacy but we played through about 3-4 monsters before moving on so a bunch of the stickers and packages are opened and used up. It didn't look very resetable.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Llyranor posted:

There is a reset pack for Aeon's End Legacy

Ah nice, I hadn't checked for that but I see them in stock in a few places. I'll have to check with my play group to see if they want to finish the game or if we're done with it for sure, then maybe I can send it off to someone who wants it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

uncle blog posted:

I still think Imperial Assault holds up great, even compared to newer dungeoners today.

Is that the one where one guy plays the empire in a 1vX? We started that and finished 1/3 to 1/2 of a campaign then the host/owner took a break to have his first child and we never got back to it. It was fun but I was empire and was having great luck while the good guys were having a really rough time of it which I think helped us not get it back to the table.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I'm starting to think spirit island is really well balanced because every time we crank the challenge we start out thinking we're screwed but we usually barely eke out a win in the end whether the randomized cards helped or not. Our trio is Forbidden Wilds, Rampant Green or River (I'm the one who can't stick to one spirit) and Thunderspeaker so no lack of power there I have to admit.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Cthulhu Death May Die is fun, its our go to game when we don't have anything else planned. One of our group bought all the stretch goals and expansions and whatnot and we've played it on and off for a few years. The characters and their penalties can definitely be unbalanced. I prefer the magic using characters that can use stars as hits, someone else had a pyromaniac in our melee heavy group who managed to set half the group on fire every time. Leveling up is hard since it also gets you closer to insanity. The guy who owns the game and has played it more tends to push his luck more than the rest of us.

The last two missions we did were almost straight up parody and were probably expansion missions. The aliens were abducting cows but we had to load up the cows with explosives first and then herd them into the UFO's beam for one, and for the other an ice cream cart was mind controlling citizens and we had to free them and keep them away while it teleports around and pied pipers them back in. All while cultists of the Cthulhu god of your choice build up to summoning him putting a clock on it. Some neat monster miniatures and plenty of character choices. That said they each have 3 skill lines that are shared among the others so you'll see the same stuff pop up but in different combinations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

We got a five player game of Spirit Island in on Saturday and it was fun but felt like it ended just as we were getting warmed up. After a very slow start we loaded up on major powers and got the fear flying. Two of us played new Horizons spirits to keep it simple, lava dino (Rising Heat of Stone and Sand) and mud otter (Fathomless Mud of the Swamp). Guy who only plays Keeper of the Wild (outside Second Wave+) stuck with his Towering Wrath. Gotta give him props for knowing what he likes. The MTG player we got into the game played Shifting Memory of Ages and spent the whole game gaining new power cards and not reclaiming outside of his one per turn on the spirit track to get back the card that gives you new cards. We beat the game just as he got the major power that destroys entire boards*. Finally new guy had played only once or twice before and played River Surges in Sunlight with some coaching. He didn't like the game so we moved on to Blood Rage after.

I hope the digital version gets Jagged Earth soon. or Horizons, the new spirits should be easy enough to add and would keep me busy a while.

*destroying his own board would have completely isolated the new guy on his own mini island with us mostly unable to help, would have been interesting to see.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Miniature Market - Back in August I preordered mutant genesis and jean grey from there, and cyclops from stone valley games since MM was marked sold out at the time. I got Cyclops the day of release (9/30 I think), and the MM order a week later (10/7).

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm already getting my kid Villainous and Spirit Island for Hanukah and Christmas, because he always asks for board games where he can be a villain. (I'm aware the spirits of SI aren't the villains.) Wondering if I need one more game.

Nice, he should have fun with that, too bad the new one won't be out for a while. Some other villain games, mileage may vary:

Jaws
Unmatched (card game duels where you can play as T-Rex, 3 raptors, dr jekyl, bloody mary)
Cthulhu Wars
Godzilla Tokyo Clash

Chaos in the Old World is awesome, our usual host makes us play it every year for his birthday. It's too bad it didn't get a real reskin like some of the other warhammer games did after they lost the license.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

We played Blood Rage at our last get together. I don't like that the factions are symmetrical but two of our other players do and love the card draft. I scarfed up all the "points when you have 4 people in valhalla" early on comboing with stealing action points when I'd lose fights (loser keeps their cards so I did it every fight). I had the upgrade to play 2 soldiers for the cost of one and replenished my losses fast each turn. I started with a huge lead and was the villain at the table. The owner of the game soared past with his final points but cost himself the win by not playing his troll (clears the land it enters) before the lands filled up. The person in last place got an upgrade to gain points when his ship died and had an upgrade to play units from valhalla. He managed to play his ship back into every conflict to die and skyrocketed from last to first during the final round with some good quests to lock it in.

It's no Chaos in the Old World, which we were lucky to get when it was new, though we missed out on the horned rat expansion. Our host makes us play it every year on his birthday.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Infinitum posted:

No Roles Barred has basically cemented itself as one of the more enjoyable channels to watch

Just a really fun watch this week as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqhCzE_lb24

I think it was you who introduced me to them by sharing their Nemesis playthrough in an earlier post. I've really enjoyed watching them since and will second their Blood on the Clocktower vids. I had to sub to their patreon to get more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Escape the Dark Sector is a favorite of my group, the host will pull it out in physical or on TTS if we need a short game. I'm kind of over it myself but its still usually a good time and everyone else seems to love it.

You pick a character who has minimalistic art and a stat spread across the three stats as represented on their single crew die that you roll for tests and melee attacks. You want a balance of the stats across all the players so you can have someone with a good shot at any specific test. You get an implant which can be overpowered or useless. You can get loot at the start and as you go depending on your fights and choices. The loot can be like "heal 1 hp once" or a 4 piece battlesuit which fills up your entire inventory.

Guns to me feel useless. You only get one round of shooting generally. If you roll a jam your turn is wasted and then you're out of ammo until the next fight. I'm really good at rolling two crits and a jam on the three shot guns. Many enemies are also resistant to the two types of ranged damage. When given the option to start with a shootout we generally send someone to the med bay, someone to flank, and let someone shoot and usually jam or miss.

The expansion adds stuff like mutations which can help or hurt, and randomness to the med bay which can screw you over or heal you for more. It also let me play an android who had a huge unique die with a lot of the faces being a hit on 2-3 stats plus a shield to block the damage you would take. I forget the wording but my starter gear included a stun baton that cancelled enemy attacks when you hit and an implant where rolling a shield helped the entire team. It's possible we played it wrong (our resident rules lawyer owns the game and loves correcting us when we screw things up) but I rolled shield and stunned the enemy a lot of times and it saved our asses. We limped into the final fight with 1 hp remaining on a few of us and it was one of our best wins.

The art is fun black and white zine quality and some of the scenarios are interesting. It's full of good ideas implemented badly or at least in a way that they are a huge risk. The aforementioned battle suit seems amazing but it only has one single use ranged attack and as you lose pieces you have to eject on your turn before getting blown up which hurts, and you are out any other gear you had until you can pick up some more. Feels good to get a huge plasma rifle, less good to jam every single encounter and damage yourself from the overheat. Legit feels good to get a cool melee weapon and a reroll implant. The non-combat events are written so that even if you gently caress up or roll badly several times in a row, you just take a few lumps and move on. We've had a few early wipes but we almost always make it to the final boss then get destroyed or win by the skin of our teeth. I like that we rotate narrators (the "You" on the event cards) making the choices, generally whoever has the most hp at the time as a lot can go wrong.

We played Escape the Dark Castle once as well but I barely remember it. I think it was the original.