Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
more like bored games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Been meaning to give that expansion a try yeah.
Same, Fog of Love is my favorite 2 player board game that doesn't involve dice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Next time, attribute it like "I heard a rumor that". Nobody can fault you for hearing rumors.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Seriously dude, simmer down, no need to get aggro over a conversation like this.
You can stop insisting on getting in the last word and just take the L.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gloomholdin' is like those outfits in fashion shows where they took an idea and pushed it to the absolute limit of what's possible in a design space, and no, I'd never want to WEAR that loving thing, but it's a drat impressive design, and there's probably a lot to learn from how much of it does or doesn't work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's not quite what you are asking for.. But Carcassone surely?
Seconding Carcassone if you haven't played it yet. If you have, why it isn't quite what you're looking for should help with giving more specific suggestions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

With the golden age of LCGs being over, I don't really know what to recommend, either. (Especially since 'has exciting booster packs' and 'isn't cash-fueled' are basically mutually exclusive.)

If you want recommendations about old, defunct TCGs, the ancient Decipher LotR CCG is way better than a card with 'movie still' card art has any right to be. Just, uh, don't touch anything past Return of the King block, that was when the power creep got stupid ridiculous.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

ngl, still would play tokyo sidekick if it flopped on my table

Yeah, this would get me to curiously wander over to the table from the other side of the store to see what all this is about.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The worst thing about Chaos in the Old World is that it's guaranteed to summon two different kinds of people when you mention it: Elitists who say you should play "a real COIN game", and Warhammer 40k fans.

I'm not sure which is worse.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You don’t order a Kickstarter game to play it, you order it to sell it for $300 in five years after the publisher collapses.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

What are the best games that travel easily? If they also play easily during travel(on a plane/train/whatever) that would be great.

Outside of the obvious "bring a standard deck of playing cards". Totally a valid option, but looking for at least slightly more interesting.

2 players is great but if it also could do more to make it more versatile, bonus.
If you can all reach each other, a light drafting game like Sushi Go! could work pretty well, irrespective of actual seating arrangement.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

And the game that goons get upset when you talk about revolves around facing grotesque, Berserk-like monsters.
Something something titty minis.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

I was exposed to MetaZoo last night and I do not know how or when I will heal from the psychic trauma of learning it is a game being published right now and not an also-ran from 1995.

These cards have a copyright date of 2021.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I genuinely enjoyed Clank! In Space!, though it's got a few too many rules for what it is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

Talisman with all the expansions and permadeath.
When you die in the game, you already die on the inside.

Edit: It literally just occurred to me that the Pokemon Master Trainer board game was basically just Talisman for 90s kids.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 21, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jedit posted:

And there's a space based version of Jumanji called Zathura, IIRC.
I got called out by Jack Black of all people for forgetting Zathura existed. Every time someone called the movie he was in "Jumanji 2", he'd correct them that it was Jumanji 3 (and now 4), and that Jumanji 2 was Zathura.

Sadly, Zathura is the odd child out in quality, too, not just name.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I’ve been playing base game only War of the Ring off and on for a long time now and still never felt any particular draw towards needing the expansions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Gloomhaven (Digital) FREE on Epic Games from today til the 29th
I forgot how brutal the early campaign is, and was glad to learn that you can change the difficulty mid-game.

"Oh, I should play on Hard/ Level +1 since I'm playing solo and coordination makes it easier." First room in the first dungeon is six level two enemies "Oh, right."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I imagine if I played WotR often enough (or lurked BGG enough) to explore all the possibility space on strategies, the expansions would do a lot for that, but I mostly play only with one other person (hi, Circl!) and our meta is nowhere near solidified, or even fully explored. On our last game, he opened with Free Peoples by having Gandalf go on an activating spree in the North, and I spent basically the entire game on the back foot because neither of us had really done that before, and I didn't know how to respond. (What meta we do have mostly revolves around Saruman and/or Gandalf the White, since that early action economy is so, so loving good.)

Genuine question, what does LoME add, both in a literal sense, and strategically?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 23, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

More Gloomhaven video game trip report: Getting mollywhopped by a difficult encounter doesn't feel nearly as bad in this version when setting up to give it another go is as quick as clicking "retry" or "return to Gloomhaven", instead of 15 minutes of set-up/teardown, and the game flows much better in general. It almost feels like this is the game as it was meant to be and the board game is a clunky-but-faithful adaptation.

Edit: Big shout-out to the modding support, and incorporating a ton of common house rules as optional rules you can toggle on or off (including the ever-loved 'summoned monsters still drop gold').

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

armorer posted:

I am pretty much always willing to play that game, but I try to make sure people know what they're getting into because I've seen some people bounce off it really hard.

BatHotH (pronounced "Bat Hoth" and you can't stop me) is in the 'experience generator' genre of board games, alongside ones like Cosmic Encounters and Tales of the Arabian Nights, and I think that they, more than basically any other genre, have the greatest correlation between "personal first impressions" and "general feeling about the relative quality of the genre".

Edit:I guess what I'm saying here is that if you really like Bat Hoth, try Tote Ann, and if you really hate Bat Hoth, definitely do not try Tote Ann.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 5, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If anyone was interested in the Gloomhaven Steam release, it's 25% off right now, putting it at about $25.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tekopo posted:

The only good paper money game is Millennium Blades
Technically, they're made of two layers of cardboard bonded with a thin layer of opaque adhesive, not paper.
:goonsay:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

the stacks of money with a band around them are definitely not cardboard
I was making a joke about rare CCG cards being cardboard money. :ssh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

!Klams posted:

"God, imagine a full day game of TI4 but reduced to a spreadsheet"
Who is this game even for? The people who like that kind of thing are already spending all day playing EVE Online.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone have ideas for games you could play outside on a nice afternoon? I think Azul would work, since it’s all tile based. No cards to get blown around.

I mean, Hive is the obvious answer, you could probably play that game in pouring rain during an earthquake if you really wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gumdrop Larry posted:

cEDH is essentially oxymoronic. Attempting to approach a fan-made format turned official loaded to the gills with deep, fundamental imbalances, RNG, and myriad other design flaws competitively is inherently fairly absurd when you pull back and look at the big picture from a game design perspective. Power to the people who want to try and muddle through such a thing I suppose.
The best argument I've heard in favor of cEDH is that it cuts out all the arguments about whether a deck is "too strong" or "too unfair" for a playgroup. Everyone is playing to win, and has the same tools and expectations. (Obviously this only really works if you allow proxying, otherwise it's just a money fight.)