Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCy3hHCGpjA

Where's my Mall Madness reboot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My new years resolution is to get my board games all organized.

My new years resolution for the years after that will be to actually play them.

I know I have some games that would be looked down upon in here but I hope when I get a chance to actually play them and do a writeup about them, that I can at least write something interesting about them showing why I got them in the first place or what I enjoyed about them without it turning into a big mess.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
We have an actual official FLGS in town now. Except it's more of a general nerd store that just happens to sell some games. Supposedly they'll be getting a shipment of games in next week but considering their store name is "Weebs in the Woods" and their description putting emphasis on anime merch and their photos only showing plush toys and TCGs, I'm going to assume that TCGs will probably be the extent of their inventory.

Also for some reason their mascot is like an anime girl version of the brawny man.

And their e-mail address domain is "@weebs.cool" lmao

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mojo Jojo posted:

That has to be a front for a meth lab. There's no reason to make something so universally unappealing if you aren't using it to hide top tier crime

Well at least they'll have some stuff to offer aside from the meth, though not sure how well a meth lab would do being run out of what used to be a bank. Seems like they will have some other tabletop stuff available.

Also noticed their site says they'll have a gaming lounge but I don't really want to think about sitting in close quarters with others downtown during a pandemic.

quote:

We offer a gaming lounge featuring tournaments and a storefront stocked with cards, toys, games, plushies, and hobby supplies! We work with big brands to sell products such as Pokémon, Warhammer, Magic The Gathering, Amuse, Dragon Ball Super Card Game, Dungeons and Dragons, and many more.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Crossposting my trip report

FirstAidKite posted:

Went to the nerd store, didn't buy anything because not much of anything there at the moment I'd want to buy. Had more than I expected though and has a lot of space. Also it's pretty rad how the bank vault is right there with the door wide open. It'd be neat if they incorporated that into the design of their shop, could probably do something neat with it and it's all just right there so why not make some use of it.

Very scattered assortment of things though. Like, all in on one bookshelf was a singular sexy anime girl figurine next to a bunch of "used manga" with a notice to ask at the desk for 16+ manga, some transformers toys, long plush toys of cats and bears, some blind boxes of little spinning tops that look like the kind of thing you'd get out of a quarter capsule machine, and plain boxes of bulk magic the gathering cards, and remilia scarlet's hat.

Whole lot of pokemon and magic cards, surprisingly no yugioh cards (yet, I assume they'll end up with those eventually along with every other random anime tcg that's being played), and a bunch of warhammer 40k stuff. A lot. Some D&D stuff and some pathfinder stuff but mostly warhammer 40k. And also something about selling their friend's avatar the last airbender 3D printed models for some avatar board game that was kickstarted last year.

It said on some signs that they do game nights, that'd be cool if it weren't for the whole covid thing. Their rules for using the lounge seemed reasonable enough too, the only one I was worried about was rule 2 because of the same reason tabletop simulator is under fire at the moment. The store's rule 2 was that discussion of things like politics and religion and issues are banned and that you will be asked to leave if you don't agree to the rules and I can easily see someone doing the same poo poo tabletop sim did with someone interpreting that rule as "no mention of identity, don't talk about it because that's political/related to religion/sexual and inappropriate"

e: they did have vid games too but it was hilariously obvious it was basically someone trying to turn a profit on some old stuff. Some random ps2 games like Black, a gba for $80, a few gbc/gba sports games, a ds action replay, AND a dsi action replay

They also had a section of store space labeled their podcast area so I guess now I need to see what their podcast is like.

Also we were the only people there wearing masks. Even the employees weren't wearing them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Also I have a question for you all. One of the things that's obvious to me is that some of these board games (KS or not) use way too much plastic. It really irritates me and is kind of why I haven't sworn off of KS entirely. It feels like the extensive use of plastic is worse on the climate than what Kickstarter is doing. Am I wrong for thinking this way?

This feels like a poor attempt at a gotcha! question. Plus there's a whole other thread already dedicated to kickstarter stuff.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Save your sprues, build guys

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I don't read this thread. None of the mods keep up with it.

This seems like it would be a good chance to learn why people are asking for a particular user to be threadbanned or, at the least. Actually going and checking his post history in these threads y'know? Especially if you don't know some of the stuff he has posted because now you're saying things like this:

Leperflesh posted:

The standard a few of you seem to want me to impose is not in line with SA or TG standards of behavior. If I applied that standard to PRADA SLUT I'd also be threadbanning about 20 people from the magic thread, for example. This is still SA, people are allowed to be rowdy and say swears and make off-color jokes and use sarcasm. I'm asking people nicely to be civil because I think that makes for better threads, but we're not kicking people out for mild incivility anywhere on somethingawful.com.

about posts you haven't read.

If you know the magic the gathering thread has 20 posters in it who really are similar in every way then that's your job to do something about it because even if it's just hyperbole, reading that there are others who try to stir up poo poo like prada does and share views similar to what prada has posted then that isn't the great defense you think it is.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

potatocubed posted:

I feel that going from 'enjoys KDM' to 'is a rape apologist' is a jump too far.

People are allowed to disagree on how to interpret media. What's obvious to one isn't necessarily obvious to all.

I imagine there wouldn't be as much of an issue if he was saying he enjoyed playing in spite of the uncomfortable amounts of eroticized sexual violence but his opinions were that those elements just flat out do not exist.

I don't know what you should do about him and I feel like the recent crypto posts are more just idiotic than the actively bad KDM denial stuff. I agree that going from "someone enjoys KDM" to "that person is a rape apologist" is a jump too far, but it's not really a significant jump at all to go from "this game does not feature sexualized violence against women" to "this person is dismissing the sexualized violence and making making excuses for it." On top of that, this is an issue that really should have been dealt with when those posts were actually relevant because now we're in a new thread months later and this stuff has come back up over a separate issue that is completely irrelevant to why some people wanted prada threadbanned..

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 26, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CATLANTIS is an incredibly chill and simple filler game that I assume most would probably write off as just a children's game or something without giving it the time of day.

It's definitely simple enough that a child could understand it but IMO there's more depth to the game than you might think and I think as a casual filler game it deserves a bit more credit than it has probably gotten.

I tried typing up the rules here but to be honest I think I would be doing the game a disservice because I'm not good at writing, let alone explaining rules in a concise and coherent way. Instead please have this short video I found that explains the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IBp5diDxvg

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Arzaac posted:

I'm sure this game is good but the art is extremely uncanny valley to me

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Somewhat unrelated, but the colelctors edition of the remake of classic snes jrpg Live A Live apparently comes with a board game.

https://www.siliconera.com/live-a-live-collectors-edition-includes-a-full-board-game/

I want it.

Who is making the board game though, I can't imagine a collector's edition incentive being very good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I asked the new game store that opened a month or so back about how they're handling pandemic stuff since they want to host events every day they're open (so 5 days a week) in an enclosed space.

They said they want people to wear masks but aren't going to enforce it, the staff is vaccinated and isn't going to wear masks unless the store is at 33% capacity, and there isn't any kind of mandate for checking vaccination cards or anything else regarding safety.

I wasn't going to go anyway because no matter how many measures are in place it is still a tabletop game place where people are expected to be near each other and interacting with the same game components but lmao at the just complete lack of giving a poo poo when they're located downtown in a busy area. It's like they're going out of their way to try and spread the virus.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tekopo posted:

So hmmm, Level 99 is doing a Dead by Daylight game. Which seems a bit weird.

....huh

As an exceed season or as its own unique thing?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tekopo posted:

As it's own standalone game. Just never thought I'd see L99 doing licensed games.

They've done them plenty of times before, usually just adapting a license to another of their games though.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dead by daylight game ends up sharing its game design skeleton with another future L99 project like Seventh Cross.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Nah, Seventh Cross was shelved years ago and this is pretty new.

Oh, I thought they were just taking their time with it. I wonder how that game was even going to play. Was there ever any gameplay info?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is Rise of Queensdale random per game or is it the same layout of stuff for each box?

Rise of Queensdale is the legacy civ building game where you use a plunger to lift tiles up from the map to discover what kinds of resources and stuff are underneath and then you can build stuff there.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Next thing you know prada slut's gonna start posting pics revealing they bought middara, a game only lame idiots will buy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I bought Middara. :(

loving same

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh, you mean the one where the optimal choice is to always just take a boring rear end +1 instead of any other skill? Also are you just arguing with yourself now, considering you were just bragging about buying Frosthaven? Dumbass.

Pretty sure he's just trying to get your goat. And since you're responding to him, he's winning.

The optimal choice is to not respond to him even if it's the boring one.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was the trad games irc channel tied to this thread or to a different thread? It would've been a few years shy of a decade ago now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

#partyhard on synIRC is still running, if that's the one you mean?

Maybe?

Basically the funniest things I ever experienced from trad games was when I got banned from the trad games irc. The short of it is that they believed there was a conspiracy to feed irc chatlogs to plutonis to give him material to troll trad games with lmfao

I'm glad the trad games board game discord is a lot more reasonable than that and I don't need to worry about something as silly as being accused of being a co-conspirator in the plutonis conspiracy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Got it, thanks. Wasn't run out of this thread for it, but definitely said all this poo poo.

I asked in the thread only because el fideo doesn't have PMs. That was probably still an error on my part. Please carry on, this topic doesn't need further elaboration here.

It would have been better if instead of focusing on defending you just said something about wanting receipts so you can have them on hand if he ever comes back or forward them on to an admin

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
1st world problems:

Dead reckoning arrived in the mail but the only person I can play it with is someone who has ADHD and I already know there is no way in hell I'll be getting her to sit through it for the 2+ hours it'll take to play lol, RIP that game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm going to do something wild here and actually post about board games in the board games thread.

What the loving poo poo??

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
code:
_|_|_
X|_|_
 | | 

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

St0rmD posted:

code:
_|_|_
X|O|_
X| | 

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

St0rmD posted:

It's cats, like your avatar.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Frozen Peach posted:

The best acquisition I got recently was Anna's Roundtable, a Fire Emeblem Fan Game. I honestly went in on this expecting that it was going to get cease and desisted. It amazingly made it out and now I have an awesome tactical board game :dance:

Oh wow. I looked it up and it really does just include fire emblem in its name and description and character designs and names are taken whole cloth. How the hell did they get away with selling it? Nintendo's lawyers are super trigger happy so I'm surprised that something so brazen is being sold without getting taken down.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

jarofpiss posted:

i'm not trying to make you like kdm or whatever because clearly my interests don't align with the board game thread, but i'm just saying you guys get pretty hostile very quickly and there are some weird boundaries that are drawn itt and nowhere else.

If you just left it at "kdm has bad art, I enjoy playing the game but I won't deny or defend the problematic elements" then I don't think there would have been much pushback. Instead you denied those elements altogether and argued that people were just being prudes about it. The denial and piss poor defense with "there are naked men too" is why you got so much backlash and eventually probated.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'd feel really weird if I was playing Great Western Trail game with some Natives in a game group and had to explain like "oh yeah and the teepees are the bad guys who steal your poo poo"

But I guess the thread is cool with it because it's an "approved game"?

Bud you gotta try harder than this. Right now you aren't even in the same ballpark as the rabble rousers from the rest of the forums.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
One of my favorite board games in my collection is a game that's not even real.

Like, here's the thing. The game is real but it is entirely made up.

It's one of those mystery boxes, they get labeled as stuff like "escape room in a box" even though they're not really about escaping anything. In this case, Mystery Agency has a few different puzzles with different goals. The goal of this box is to solve the mystery behind a board game that was recalled, pulled off the market entirely, mysterious deaths that occurred relating to the game, and figuring out if the game is haunted or not.

This mystery box comes with a copy of the recalled game, the "last copy" of it in fact, and you have to study the pieces included to solve the mystery.

What makes me love this game so much is that there is no point during the mystery where you are asked to play the board game. There is absolutely nothing ever saying "hey, in order to understand the mystery, you need play through this game." Despite that, they still designed an entire game, a unique game with unique components, special miniatures, cards, a board, a box, rules, everything for a functioning board game.

Granted, the game itself blows. It's a roll and move thing where you have to move around the map and collect items and if you're not careful then you might get hit by the ghost and have your progress reset, or something like that.

I will admit that I have not played the game. But it is still one of my favorites in my collection because while it's not a GOOD game, the fact of the matter is that the puzzle creators designed their own not-parker-brothers roll and move game with all of the appropriate items to actually play through it and some marks and stresses to the components to make them look aged a little to try and capture the feel of a lovely board game made decades and decades ago by a couple of lovely opportunists.

It's great.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Sigh. I asked the question on Game Brain podcast's FB page (which is public if you are interested) and am getting the 'are you sure they know what they are talking about' pushback. And I said I was sure, as this site is full of techs, not to mention that there are a ton of folks who don't agree with the KS approach outside of SA. They were referencing these concepts fwiw. https://www.businessinsider.com/per...0more%20energy.

Or maybe I should discuss in the KS thread?

Blockchain is bad and the only ones trying to convince you otherwise are grifters who stand to profit from it, techbros too caught up in the fantasy of it that they don't or won't understand why it doesn't work and isn't good, and marks who are trying to justify it to avoid admitting they were scammed or are hoping to find a bigger fool to bail them out.

This isn't something where the truth is in the middle or some decorum matter where both sides need equal representation for their arguments because the fact of the matter is that they are objectively and factually incorrect, provably so, and they are just going to continue to sidestep issues, deflect arguments, and move the goalposts.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I have a new "escape room in a box" arriving tomorrow called The Emerald Flame. Hoping it'll be pretty fun :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSYlz9fL3Og
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/299371/emerald-flame

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mayveena posted:

This post has been reported so you don't have to report it again.

If a post gets reported a bunch then posters are told they can't report it so you don't need to say this

PRADA SLUT posted:

Kickstarter said they wanted to decentralize their platform three months ago and used the word "blockchain" once and now everyone seems to think they're in on Buttcoins and Monkey jpegs.

e: It's actually way more boring than that. They just said they're going to spin off a company that's going to fund an open-source project to make a (carbon-neutral) public blockchain, and eventually will move the main site over to it. I haven't heard a word about it since the vague media release three months ago.

jarofpiss posted:

tbh kickstarter enabling the endless production of miniature based plastic board games shipped overseas from china to be played once and never again is probably worse than whatever crypto related things they've done

Do all of us more or less understand why both of these posts are wrong and not good faith arguments or will I or someone else need to write up why both of these posts are wrong, invalid, or otherwise just goalpost shifting and whataboutism?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
lmao did you really just try to pwn me with imgflip

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

radmonger posted:

Dunno if this is the thread for it, but yes, it is certainly not obvious to me why the unstated position opposing that poster is right.

Here's the relevant bit from the OP

quote:

Inexplicable Crypto Baloney in the Trad Games Space

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've inevitably heard about the nonsense surrounding Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency, and NFTs. (For everyone else, for your own sake please get back under that rock! Also, do you need a roommate?) If you want to learn more, YouTube essayist Dan Olson put out a wildly popular video about the topic here. To save the space here attempting to explain all this malarkey, I will simply quote David Gerard, author of Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain. "Everything to do with cryptocurrencies and blockchains is the domain of fast-talking conmen. If anyone tries to sell you on either, kick them in the nuts and run."

Of course, if this silliness were merely a scam, few would care; fools and money are wont to part in innovative ways. However, this blatherskite actually affects all of us because crypto is terrible for the environment, using an absolutely preposterous amount of energy and possessing a huge carbon footprint. Much of the recent hot air expended about this is trying to deny how much hotter it will make the air: there are different schemes that claim to be less wasteful or neutralized with carbon offsets. However, unlike a person who takes an unavoidable plane trip who just wants to do their part, when discussing offsets while engaging in completely wasteful and totally unnecessary drivel just to financially speculate and try to become rich, it starts to sound like 16th century commercialized Catholic Carbon Indulgences from the Carbon Antipope of Reddit.

You might think that our meatspace world of traditional board games would be immune to this type of techbro garbo, but you would be wrong. Miniature-heavy publisher CMON and solo experience publisher Van Ryder are both getting in to NFTs. Even the 100-year-old brand Bicycle, the maker of regular playing cards is getting in on it. However, this is really only newsworthy because a much bigger player also got in on it: crowdfunding platform Kickstarter. Lots and lots of board game projects go through Kickstarter, with over 230 million dollars pledged in 2020. Statements made since the announcement do not inspire confidence. for various reasons. The platform's adoption of NFTs is especially galling because there are plenty of features that Kickstarter users want and need, like a pledge manager and better community controls, which remain missing to this day. And yet they somehow find the time and energy to add this hogwash. Why? It's probably the same reason every other company is getting in on this: naked avarice completely disassociated with reality.

So, if any of that matters to you, then maybe don't use the Kickstarter platform and don't buy games from CMON, Van Ryder or purchase Bicycle playing cards.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Viper915 posted:

I hope this is as good as it looks, because I somehow managed to accidentally order it when I thought I was just checking the shipping cost.

Oh.

Uhm.

I'm sorry.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Viper915 posted:

Are you saying it is not very good? My FLGS does an auction twice a year I could probably recoup some money from if I keep it all in shrink.

No, I'm just sorry if my posting ended in you accidentally buying it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Thread title

:\ if they didn't mean to buy it and were just trying to check shipping costs after they saw my post about it then I inadvertently caused them to lose cash on something they weren't trying to buy yet. I didn't know their store made it possible to do that since I purchased it through kickstarter.