Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You don't get to a 10 hour game of Terraforming Mars w/ just one player w/ AP. For one thing, the AP player would get murdered by the rest. BGG says the box time is 120 minutes. Add some friction from it being the first play, that'll contribute, lets say an hour. The rest is (maybe) down to how the end-game triggers are kind of optional. You can grow and run your engine, gaining points, without necessarily advancing the board state which will actually end the game. That's what they mean by "procrastinating putting that ocean down". And maybe they went and have lunch in the middle and leave the clock running.

Lawlicaust posted:

JFC. Mostly competent technically but loving why?

Engagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

hideous!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Imagine everything in tiny Oink boxes. Also, the boxes are colourful and attractive.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

People will also frequently be wrong when they feel they can't win, which complicates talking about it online. I have played against and been the player who, after the first thing goes wrong, throws a strop and think there's no point in even playing anymore. And that's a tiresome for everyone. But I have also kingmade in favour of the player who will win the next turn, against the player who would have won the turn after, and I don't think that soured the evening too much.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's hard to diagnose what (if anything) you're doing wrong, but that's certainly not been my experience of the game. One immediate rule you might have missed is the final scoring being doubled, which is a strat stolen from cheap gameshows to keep things competitive till the end.
I don't necessarily see that an empires favourite will have a larger court - there aren't that many Patriot cards. I guess if you're throwing away a lot of losing patriots when switching sides, that might cause it. But why would you invest so heavily in patriots if you're uncontested? And if your court is composed entirely of patriots, the smart move might be to let that scoring round pass (if you can't claw it back to the non-dominance scoring) and win the next ones.
e: it's very possible for PPam to be not for you, but I've not heard the complaint that the players can get an unshakeable lead. If anything, it's the reverse.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 11, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Ropes4u posted:

Five player learning game of scythe was a bad idea…

How long did it take?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The last time i played Spirit Island, we played with a random events deck and in the second turn, another European power declared war on our lot and wiped off nearly every city, rendering the game pretty trivial after that. I can't recommend that deck. Besides any balance issues, reading, comprehending, then executing a card each turn is a lot of work that just disrupts the flow of the game more than anything.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I guess it's surprising the chance slipped out of the hands of the two or three companies who specialize in video-game adaptations, but if it's a money market (and I guess it must be, they keep making them), good job for Level 99 on grabbing a particularly juicy license.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Box is way too big

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That's a problem I find with open ended negotiation games, especially for the first play. It's a game about haggling, so let's do ten minutes of horse trading over every little thing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

His games may be mediocre but his marketing is top-notch.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

CommonShore posted:

E.g. if your choice is Scythe or Talisman, what do you pick?

I would say "thanks guys I'm good, I'll just sit this one out."

e: I do most of my gaming at public meetups, but I'd chill out in somebody's kitchen for a bit, I'm a man of principle.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fantasy Realms is enjoyable filler* and it's perfect for licensing out to whoever since it's got like a hundred cards with pictures of people standing around, and an effect that you can squint at and say "oh yeah, that kind of makes sense".

*I believe, I may be thinking of another game, the name is kinda generic so I have trouble fixing it in my mind.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Infinitum posted:

What happened with Broken Token after all the allegations came to light? As that was a semi-big part of the Frosthaven campaign, and I can't remember seeing any news about them post every man and his dog cutting ties with the company.

They're still going. Greg Spence, the founder, stepped down as CEO in September but he probably still owns the company. He modified his position to Ashley Taylor's allegations from "never happened" to admitting an "improper but consensual relationship" while still denying he ever threatened her.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm not sure Rutibex was possible to run out, they seemed quite used to everyone hating them. My theory is that moths got into their cardboard talisman.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Otherwise we'd only be talking about those awful board games. How I hate them.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

BonHair posted:

He did have terrible board game opinions as well, including measuring quality by literal weight.

This was his one good opinion though?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Go ahead I want to see how you connect those dots

bad brain produces dumb thoughts on various subjects

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

Train enthusiasts: I just heard from a very good source that The Old Prince: 1871 is maybe one of the best 18xx he's ever played. I had heard a little bit (all extremely positive) leading up to this conversation but this chat has cemented it in my mind as something to keep an eye on.

And as of two days ago there's an implementation on 18xx.games for anyone who wants to try it. I'm looking forward to finding another one or two people to give it a shot as soon as possible.

Here's its BGG entry. It caught my eye before gaining the sur-title as "the one w/ all the wiggley track" - apparently the historical railway builders were poorly managed and so built as much track as possible to jack up their wages. Which means in game there is only 1 straight track, which iirc is tied to a private company. I'm glad it's getting hyped up, that gimmick always struck me as very funny, and I've a fondness for small island games.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Is there a chance we can lock you and Prada slut up in a thunderdome situation?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

3KR is the best worker placement game I've ever played, hopefully it works for you. It's got a lengthy playtest and is pretty heavy, which can be a killer, but if it works for you and exactly two other people, it should be a lot of fun.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I think the gameplay is very satisfying and stately. There's lots of paths to victory, and you have to keep an eye on what other people are doing and respond to it. The gimmick of making every worker a unique general with different capacities and special powers is an awful lot of fun. Drawing a handful of them feels the right sort of random - informing how you want to play your turn but extremely hard to say any one draw is an utter dud, or that another player's draw is way too strong. Plus, I like the artwork, I think the components are satisfying but not over-produced. I haven't played it a lot because I play my games in public meetups and it's basically impossible to get played in that environment, but every time I have played it I think "hell yeah, that rules."

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Carillon posted:

Anyone played For-Ex? I saw it on bga now and it looks really interesting, but one of the guys who I play games with said you have to read the rules and then think about it for a while before you're even ready to go. I'm gonna try it anyways, but was curious for any good thoughts.

I disagree with your friend, the barrier to entry isn't that high. Or rather, it's not a game where you can work out by reading the rulebook and then thinking about it. You need to play it a bunch, which hopefully will be fun but possibly won't be. A lot of Holland's games are really unusual machines where the path to victory is extremely unclear, and For-Ex may be the most opaque of all of them. If you check out the publisher description on BGG, it tells you that you probably won't like it and should try something else instead, and she reliably vents that people did not take her seriously. The rules are fairly light if counter-intuitive in places, it doesn't take hours to play. Once everyone is sure of the rules, just play it while doing your best to win. If you discover some degenerate strategies, that's probably part of the joy. I remember having a lot of fun forcing people to bail me out because if they didn't we would both lose.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 29, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Frozen Peach posted:

Annabel Holland is her name.

Isn't it Amabel? And I thought the Holland was a discord joke due to her company's name.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

!Klams posted:

Well gently caress, now I'm all about trying to get myself a copy of this, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere? I mean, hell, I'd pay for a PnP version, but that's not possible either? Any ideas?

I've not been following it closely, but I think the BotC people were surprised by their KS success and have been floundering a bit in production. Print and Play copies aren't really something you should buy, but make for your own use. They're often licensed just for personal use. They don't want someone else to get rich selling copies of their game. There are official PnP files on BGG, and you can either work the laminator and rotary cutter yourself, or figure out what you want a local print-shop to do for you.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The least effective warning sign since making detergents brightly coloured.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Quixotic1 posted:

Never played a deck builder before,unless you count Spirit Island and Quest for El Dorado. I'm I insane to be interested in finding a copy of Arctic Scavengers or has the genre evolved passed it? Space Biff mentioning it in one of their articles and the theme seems to go well with the mechanics, unlike Dominion which my eyes glaze over when its mentioned. I say this even though I like a lot of Knizia's games which are sometimes more abstract than Dominion.

I respect Space Biff's opinions, but Arctic Scavengers left me totally cold (how's that for theme). Clunky game-flow where a lot of the gameplay decisions seemed extremely obvious. A central gameplay mechanic is sifting through a deck of cards that you can flood by trashing weak cards so it becomes an increasingly frustrating game of lucky-dip. I can see why the theme might be engaging, but it seemed both silly and trite. The soldiers theme seemed silly, and theming the bad cards "refugees" seemed trite. It might tug at someone's heart strings, but I felt no remorse about exiling refugees/thinning bad cards from your deck.
For pure deckbuilders, it's got to be Dominion still.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Whats a good rec for 8 players? We’re renting a house for Easter, and I’d like to pack a couple of games.

I have Avalon and Decrypto. I feel that a PnP of Blood on the Clocktower may work better than Avalon just so I can push the players to interact (they are new to boardgames) but :effort:

The classic board game nerd's response to this question is two four player games. Actual gameplay is really hard to rig up past 6 players.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

:\ if they didn't mean to buy it and were just trying to check shipping costs after they saw my post about it then I inadvertently caused them to lose cash on something they weren't trying to buy yet. I didn't know their store made it possible to do that since I purchased it through kickstarter.

You bankrupted some goon w/ your thoughtless posts.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A double-wide cube? buddy that's a cuboid.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

General rules explaining tips are to start with what players are aiming to do (For JoCo I'd say something like the game is about running the company well enough that you can pull the most cash from it), and then basic turn structure (go around the table, do an action - or w/e it is for JoCo) - then you launch into the explanation.
For a heavy game it could take a while, but heavy games also take an age to play so it should balance out.
Also, Cole himself drip-feeds his explanations throughout the game. When someone can do a thing, only then does he explain it in detail. It's a controversial tactic but it might be something to consider.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh huh didn’t know that. Feel it’s the best approach but I don’t even explain in detail. It’s a learning game, more people shouldn’t get hung up on it. Pull some levers.

There is that argument that for a lot of people, they play games so infrequently or have so many games that they feel they have to do well since they might only get to play the game again in 2 years, but that’s a collection and attitude towards learning game problem.

He's appeared a few times on Heavy Cardboard where he demonstrates his methods. For Pax Pamir (to pick a game I have a slightly firmer grasp of specifics than JoCo), he suggests explaining what actions are when they show up in the market, or explaining that you can exact bribes only after someone's got a a majority on areas or cards. Essentially just wait until someone can do a thing to explain it. Though a fair few players would not appreciate that new rules keep showing up all of the time.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, if you have more spies than anyone else on another player's court card, they have to bribe you equal to the number of spies if they want to use an action on that card.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I played The Expanse where everyone at the table had a shaky grasp on the rule. The owner didn't really know it, and I had played it once a year ago. It's got a river auction for cards, and one set of cards will score the present board-state. At the end of the game, we ignored one score card that emerged. Eventually the final one came out, but we kept buying past them to the cards that let you actually do stuff. As it would literally end of the game, people would only ever buy a score card if they were going to win. It was 4 players, so that's 3 losers tearing down the winner, and a new winner was never going to act next turn, as it happened. Anyway, after this kept going for flipping ages, I checked the rulebook and found some mercy rule that scoring cards automatically fire if there are 2 in the market, or that the game ends the round after the last scoring card is revealed, something like that. And I demanded that we end the game after the current round, retroactively enforcing the rule, because I was getting fed up of playing the drat thing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

...I feel like I am going to take the risk and grab it based on the Hype™.

Always a wise decision.
A person at my game group was saying he sold his first copy of Ark Nova at a £60 profit, then bought his current edition of the second printing for £60, making it "a free game"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I played a 3p game of Keyflower and really enjoyed how characterful discarding however many tiles makes it. I normally play it at higher player counts and those games tend to feel the same. I think I should get the Merchants expansion to dilute the pool a little.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

I love Keyflower but it's a pain to teach. I've got either the Farmer or Merchant expansion, cannot recall. I just love building my little village up and the bidding is so much fun.

It isn't bad two player either...

The two systems of auction and worker placement are kind of a pain, and then there's a flipping third system of moving goods and developing tiles that's just developed enough to be annoying to explain.
I have also begun to hate how the background of every village tile is the same green grass. I have become convinced that they were fools to have the tiles you activate to do things the same colour palette as the tiles that you can't. Just make barns covered in autumnal leaves, and winter tiles covered in snow.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Chekans 3 16 posted:

How are the Keyflower expansions? I always liked the base game. Also there's a card game version called Key Flow?

I have played Merchants once, but it's concept is to add more scoring throughout the game, rather than have it be almost completely decided in the final auction. I've been thinking of picking it up, as that's something of a sticking point for a lot of players.
Keyflow is enjoyable, but very much a different game. Along with the art and theme (lol) they've kept a fair few mechanics (four seasons, the ability to use the villages of your nearest neighbours, upgrading tiles). It's also got the most useless insert I've seen - the box is subdivided into lots of square containers - you could probably individually house every wooden barrel, but there's no place to put the cards.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I still play dominion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Twister is a well designed game and I ask everyone to treat it with respect.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 23, 2022