Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Weren’t those spirits included on the JE kickstarter? I may be mixing it with the TTS version I’m playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm on a boardgamearena kick. So far I've my favourites are Race for the Galaxy, Tash Khalar, Feast for Odin, 7 Wonders Duel and have tried Clans of Caledonia and Tapestry, but found them pretty dry, specially the latter. What are some other good implementations of medium-heavy games, preferably towards the lower player count?

Gaia Project is a given as soon as I re-read the rules.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ropes4u posted:

Five player learning game of scythe was a bad idea…

My store has a whattsapp group to organise games, and everyone will open every game to the max number of players, even ones where no one knows the rules. I've been called out for not including more than three spots for a Spirit Island game that went from 10AM to 2PM, including explanations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

golden bubble posted:

The fake boardgames created by GPT-3 algorithms are really entertaining

https://www.gwern.net/GPT-3-nonfiction#board-games

That’s literally the plot of The Wire season 3 (4?)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

How's Founders of Gloomhaven? It's on sale at my flgs.

I played it once and I'm pretty sure I won because my factions was brown and no one could tell where my pieces were. It was interesting, with mechanics I haven't seen in any other game and it flowed pretty well, but the visual design is a mess.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Fellis posted:

yeah that's the problem, the designer statement is very compelling! But most people took it as encouragement instead of taking the warning in stride and then got mad online when it turned out they didn't like the game

That’s not a warning, that’s marketing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Mighty Eris posted:

It’s the marketing equivalent of bright colors on a frog except it turns out humans will take that as a challenge.

I would encourage everyone to try it on BGA! The rules burden is fairly light, and the interface reasonable enough that you can get right to the truly opaque part of it. I’m one of those train game people and I played this three times thinking I could figure it out, and it was just baffling.

Nah, the whole speech is "you're special, we're special, we do our stuff specially for you. This is the Dark Souls of Boardgames". No seller has ever (seriously) said "don't buy stuff from us".

And it works! I'm reading the rules to try it on BGA right now. But it's 100% intended to sell the game, not to prevent people that won't enjoy it from buying it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

silvergoose posted:

No, Amabel deliberately tells people not to buy games if they're not the right game for them.

I'll defer to people who actually know her, then. Happy to see that my cynicism isn't always warranted.

In actual boardgame related things, how is Blood Rage? It seems like a simpler CitOWW? I seem to remember some issues with overproducting stuff, and balance stuff with some cards (Loki stuff?)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Whats a good rec for 8 players? We’re renting a house for Easter, and I’d like to pack a couple of games.

I have Avalon and Decrypto. I feel that a PnP of Blood on the Clocktower may work better than Avalon just so I can push the players to interact (they are new to boardgames) but :effort:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Captain Sonar is great at 8 & only 8

I have this and, on the one hand, I’ll never get a better chance to play it but, on the other hand, may scare them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

uncle blog posted:

Anybody got tips for a game that plays 2-4 people. Is fairly strategic, good amount of player interaction, plays under an hour and is small enough that it can be played on a small table or a picnic blanket?

I've played Inis under an hour with 3 people, but it may be stretching the time limit.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Alas, my custom insert and already overweight base game box :(

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Jimmeeee posted:

One of my all time favorite games. I'm surprised that FFG never re-released it with a generic theme, a la BSG->Unfathomable.

Medieval year 1000 AD apocalypse. War, plague, famine (or rather gluttony for Slaneesh) and Death becomes Witchcraft or something. Rats fit as they are.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

And the moderator is a player in the game with an agenda, yes. With a goal of keeping the game going until the last night, by using their very proscribed, publicly known-and-described, explicit abilities to side with the losing team, yes.

You have described the mechanic. You have not described how it is flawed.

I'll bite. Not really a flaw but a bit of a philosophical problem for me: it's more a performance than a game, because an all powerful GM is propping up the losing team all the way through.

In the end, all 5 games I've played have been decided with a 50/50 shot in the last night. Exciting! But by the end of 4th game I could feel that the 5th was going to end the same way. And it did.

And yeah, you can read people after an entire game, but the GM may have swapped their roles around, or have given them a role that required them to insist that they were another one, and could be killed if they don't, or one of 4 million things that make it impossible to logic it out/get a clean read.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I have just finished the Baker Street Irregulars. Great game and leaps and bounds better than the first box. Even if the last puzzle reeked of "guess the word" of early Sierra adventure games.

I do have a doubt with the last case: In the envelope at the end of the book there is a telegram from Lestrade to Sherlock. on it, there is a circled R. Going to Lestrade, the section first ask whether you have circled an R, which I'm pretty sure is impossible to do following the rules. If you follow that prompt, Lestrade hints at a case that has been going on for years that Sherlock is following.

Am I missing something? Is it just an Easter egg?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

I'll PM you about that potential spoiler stuff.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it and agree that it is a massive improvement over the first box. Indeed, some stuff around the end broke some weird new ground (which is all I'll say to avoid spoiling anything) but we loved it basically from beginning to end with maybe two minor hiccups.

Thanks!

Yeah, the way the last cases work are great, and each one introduced something new and interesting.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Any decent apps for learning/playing Go?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

hexwren posted:

I want to play more and weirder fuckin' card games that don't involve rules text on cards

You really should check Koi Koi. It uses a Hanafuda deck and the ruleset is indecipherable.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

There are plenty of instances of "allowed cheating" so to speak. Magic even had that with Cheatyface in one of the joke sets and there's Monopoly Cheaters Edition. These instances generally prescribe exact methods of 'cheating'. So, it's more like a 'stolen base' in baseball than it is a rules violation. Whether these actually count as "cheating" likely involves some deep ontological poo poo that I don't really feel like delving into because it will probably involve 'what is a game' arguments which I don't think are ever terribly profitable.

Unironically the best version of Monopoly I’ve played. It ends faster.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Are the differences between editions of War of the Ring enough to pay more for the new version? I can get a second hand copy of the first one on the cheap.

And what about the expansions? Do they add anything interesting? Should I drop them together with the base game from the start or is it better to play the base game for a bit before playing the expansions?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

The spirits have been too timid, it's time to start the Jaeger Earth program.

*enormous mechs made of earth and tree sprout from the island*

Eraflure posted:

Giving every single spirit a giant mech aspect would vastly improve the game imo

This is basically the next expansion.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I’m thinking about picking up Jaws of the Lion. If I do, I’ll be playing two player with my SO, with whom I’ve played Spirit Island, so she can manage complexity, although she prefers less complex games.

Are the “intro” missions fun, or does it take a fifth of the game to get interesting?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I’m going on a 4 day trip with 6-8 other people, and packing Avalon and codenames.

Last time I tried Avalon with non-gamers we played two rounds with no discussion in five minutes each. Any tips on what to explain about the flow of the game and what the blue team should be after in each “phase” of the game? I particularly struggle to explain why the players shouldn’t rush to the first mission when you have no information.

I’m bad at Mafia, which doesn’t help.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Btw I made some more analysis of the MHW board game weapons on the TG Kickstarter thread if anyone is interested. I'm pleasently surprised how varied the weapons can be and how they tried to hew close to the videogame weapons in terms of gameplay so far.

I want to know about the best weapon, the Hunting Horn. :toot:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I’ve recently finished Consulting Detective: Baker Street Irregulars, which I think is the best of the bunch. Which one is second best?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks for the opinions on Sherlock Holmes!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

More of an RPG question, but what the hell. Has anyone played Alice is gone with non-gamers?

For context: My SO and I play boardgames but have never RPed, and the other couple I plan to play with have played EXIT games and some other light boardgames, but are new to RP as well.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

I have not played it, and the only reports from the field I have seen (from The Secret Cabal and Shut Up and Sit Down) have been very positive. However, the people saying those things are experienced RPG players as well as board gamers so they are not exactly what you're asking for. You might get better answers in the Trad Games Chat Thread since it will have a lot more RPGers than this thread will.

I was going to pontificate on it but honestly the post sucked and I am stupid. The short version of my thoughts is: do you think that when they draw a card that says something like "Your character feels X" that they will take that as seriously as any rule written in the rulebook? If so, I think you'll be okay.

Thanks. Yeah, that's my fear, too. What Quinn thinks it's a good introduction and what my group thinks is a good introduction is probably not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

My copy of Spirit Island: Nature Incarnate finally arrived yesterday, after all the delays due to VAT. Can't wait to a) try the new spirits and b)try to cram everything together in a single box.

Is there already a decent inserter for the entire thing? I'm only missing Horizons.