Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
As part of my first post in this age of the new thread, let me prostrate myself and be judged by the great Vlaada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

bagrada posted:

Hear me out - Spirit Island 2, now with competitive gaming, where one faction is the spirits trying to chase off the settlers, and the other faction is the settlers trying to build trains around the island.

Spirit Island 1 was a hit, no doubt about it. Spirit Island 2 seeks to build on the greatness of the original while addressing a few problems and also going in a new direction.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

drafting helps with this

EDIT: I really enjoy playing TM, but with 2-3 other players who've played before.

I was invited to be the 5th with 3 new players a couple weeks ago and declined as quickly and politely as I could.

At which point you can play sushi go party for 70% of the weight at 20% of the rules burden and time investment.

TM is way too shallow for how long it takes.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
The Great Zimbabwe is the most approachable popular Splitter. Followed probably by Indonesia.

E: add Bus somewhere in there and you have your top 3.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Ubik_Lives posted:

I feel like Prada had a point here, because while using a blockchain system is hideously inefficient compared to traditional methods, it's orders of magnitude better than Bitcoin.

Like, we can say it's bad and we shouldn't use it, but these are different things.

All blockchain and all crypto that are advertised or referenced to consumers are scams or gimmicks borne out of incompetency. The legitimate uses of "blockshain technology" are incredibly limited,and have nothing to do with you and me who enjoy board games. Bitcoin and like, Cardano or some other stupid magic piece of code are different levels of bad, and bad in different ways, but for a consumer the reasons they are bad are the same.

It's all a trash fire of marks looking for a bigger mark to get their money.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
@Magnetic North please add mod info in the OP. This is a big thread that has had multiple iterations, despite being maybe slower than other big threads. Maybe we have an IK. Maybe even if our thread is slow, maybe there's a particular mod that pays attention to it

e- okay maybe I was too angry. prada slut is being awful every time they show their ugly rear end

Dancer fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 25, 2022

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I was hoping to have a discussion with potatocubed but he's busy so you just get me, today. My moderator opinion is that whatever you may feel about PRADA's long-term tenor of posting, his post about crypto was fine.

Thank you for your valuable opinion on the topic of that Prada post as an isolated text.

I feel the need to point out tho: literally no-one was complaining about that Prada post as an isolated text. Why are you derailing the conversation?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Bottom Liner I'd appreciate it if you'd stop claiming to represent a thread consensus opinion. Folks can speak for themselves.

Hi here I am. Prada has repeatedly acted in bad faith and has long passed three strikes or whatever the requisite amount is. Bottom Liner was speaking for a lot of us because he, unlike you, is regularly here and knows how a lot of us feel, and he did it in a shockingly polite and productive manner, given the repulsive nature of what you are materially defending.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 26, 2022

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Dancer fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 21, 2022

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

But whenever you mention it, people crawl out the woodwork to try and convince you crypto is good actually, because they need greater fools to be in their downline so they can turn their crypto into fiat.

Slight correction before the pedant rear end in a top hat jumps at this reductive strawman like all the previous ones: No, not literally everyone defending crypto is doing it directly and only because they get material profit from it.

But when they do defend crypto, they carry water for aforementioned people, who are doing evil. Crypto being universally unambiguously destructive is no longer a matter of "opinion". Except for some weird non-consumer science and security things that regular people don't understand, business involving crypto is always a grift.

I hope that if someone walked into this thread and someone's reaction to a sexual assault allegation in the industry was "hey, what if she's trying to ruin his reputation?" no mod team member (or so I hope...) would defend that person when we tell them that such statements are not welcome, and someone supporting these ideas is not welcome. Oh no, maybe we call them stupid or tell them to gently caress off in the process, how terrible! Supporting crypto may be "less evil" than not believing victims, but it is equally unambiguous in it being evil.

I just want to read the board game thread in peace. I dont want to let my guard down and then encounter a rapist defender or climate change denier or covid denier or crypto defender or whatever, and then have to deal with that. I don't want to have to be a shark, constantly adding the offenders to my ignore list (and then getting frustrated every time I miss context in some other people's posts). We supposedly have moderation for exactly this reason. So that conversation can flow, and be productive.

Magnetic North has done heroic work in the OP in establishing clear guidelines for this productive conservation that our mods supposedly wish to support. It is a mystery why they choose not to.

Leperflesh posted:

A moderator should enforce rules that allow constructive conversations, not disallow them.

Lol. Lmao.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Noone cares. Take it to QCS. loving talk about board games, jfc.

Infinitum posted:

Flipside, you can also put users on ignore.

Do you see how maybe "just ignore them, look at me how smart I am" doesn't solve the problem?

On an unrelated note, for fans of Dune I would also recommend Game of Thrones, which I will always stan. I've got an 8p game coming up a week from now, I always look forward to those. It is less sandboxy, which I get would be a turn-off for the average Dune fan, but the movement system has enough complexity to allow for fun epic multiple-round-spanning incursions. And the hand management aspect is possibly the besg part of the game.

Just like Napoleon failed to get Russia, you too can be the next fool to try to invade the Starks in the frozen north. You might succeed and (once the fighting is done) have claimed rich lands with a very minor lengthening of your front line, allowing you to recover your spent good hand cards, or you might fail, and be hopelessly overextended on bad supply, while the rest of the table picks your loving bones.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 22, 2022

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Oh and GoT has an extra benefit: with the expansion it can legitimately play any number between 5 and 8 decently. If someone cancels next weekend, I have the luxury of not caring (though I rly would like to play the full 8 person table one say)

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I also recommend matte sleeves, they have consistently felt much better to handle.

If you have patience and want non-matte, Paladin Sleeves to a big sale with decent prices every December. It's also one of few manufacturers that can be trivially obtained in Europe. Other brands can be found too, but they can be tricky (and I have been burned at least once looking for replacements of the same kind and suddenly they're not available at any webahop from my country).

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

My problem is that we have a sexism (and occasional other -ism) problem in this thread (not you, FAK), and even though that would have probably been tolerated on "old SA" at least "old SA" would have actually probed people sometimes. We finally got someone who I know for a fact would not hesitate to act, and the mods failed her.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

What other deckbuilding games do what Aeon's End does where you don't shuffle your deck?

I doubt Aeon's End was somehow the first deckbuilder to go "take your discard pile, turn it over, it's your draw pile, do not shuffle."

Time of Crisis does something I like better. You don't shuffle your deck, because every time you draw cards you just choose which you draw. There is still a discard pile which can't be re-used until you've cycled through.

CitizenKeen posted:

What is the state of the art for Deckbuilding + Area Control?

Dunno if I'd call it state of the art, but Time of Crisis does this.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 16, 2022