Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
There's still nothing I've found that quite replaces how good Space Alert is as a real-time co-op board game, but like other people have mentioned, I would love to know if there are other good board games like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Bottom Liner posted:

It was actively harmful to newcomers that would ask for a specific suggestion and his answer was always an eager “Talisman” and other misleading garbage. He still does the same in basically every RPG thread.

He would do the equivalent of this in the Path of Exile thread, constantly recommending his incredibly terrible build to newbies who were trying to learn the game and eventually got banned from that thread for that kind of behavior.

So yeah this tracks.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Any thoughts on if it's worth getting Oathsworn if I already have Frosthaven? My group's preferred kind of game is co-op campaign games (biggest hits being Pandemic Legacy seasons and Jaws of the Lion), and what I've seen of Oathsworn looks promising.

e: FWIW I have no interest in minis

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 2, 2023

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I love Mage Knight but each player you add is an additional 1.5 to 3 hours of downtime.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

CitizenKeen posted:

So my FLGS has Brass Birmingham. I don't see it discussed here much. Anyone want to sell me on it?

Did you know it's the #1 rated game on BGG?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Selecta84 posted:

I'm looking for cooperative Euro style games and maybe there are some out there I haven't found yet.

Gloomhaven is a secret euro puzzler disguised as a dungeon crawler.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Yeah if your friends ever tell you they want you to try this game about a cask of amontillado, you should be wary.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

FulsomFrank posted:

In the same vein, Frosthaven looks incredible but lol, just lol at the idea of having enough time to play it regularly. Has anyone commented on whether the set up/take down is streamlined at all from GH or is it still a nightmare?

The first couple of scenarios took us ~30min each to set up, but now that we know what we're doing it's 10-15min at most.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

BinaryDoubts posted:

The Touhou side (to be clear I have no experience with or interest in that world, but the game is so clearly inspired by it) is fine, the little things you clear are called "bullets," you have a diverse and fun selection of anime-esque heroines (no horny art!!!) and you can pick up powerups. But really, the game is a shape-matching puzzler, requiring you to move the bullets around on your personal player board to match patterns from your hand of 3. As in multiplayer Tetris, there's no direct competition aside from the fact that every bullet you clear gets sent to your opponent's board next round.

This seems like the video game Twinkle Star Sprites more than Touhou, FWIW.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Glazius posted:

Yes, the two Touhou Phantasmagoria games (dimensional dream, flower view) were heavily derived from Twinkle Star Sprites.

You're right, I forgot ZUN made those two games as well.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I keep sacrificing things to summon a reprint of Tigris and Euphrates and it still isn't working.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Tiny Epic Mechs might be a good fit.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

FulsomFrank posted:

Eclipse question: friends of mine played the 2nd edition on the weekend and loved it but I have vanilla first edition. I recall there are issues with the base game with regard to degenerate missile envy strategies but I guess I'm asking what are the biggest differences aside from the cosmetics between the base 1st edition and 2nd and if there are any issues that would make it a problem to play instead of the one? Or could any issues be proxied away?

The designer talks through the rule and component changes in detail here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2024547/designer-notes-second-edition

It's possible to proxy but it will be a huge amount of work.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

million dollar mack posted:

Alright I just read through the rules for Sidereal Confluence and now I'm really hyped to get this to the table. It wasn't nearly as complex as I thought it would be. Any teaching tips for this one, for a player count of 5-6?

Make sure to mention that every trade is going to benefit both people to some extent, and it's better to mostly focus on getting your game going even if it slightly helps the other player. As long as you're not doing incredibly lopsided trades then you're going to have a good shot at winning.

Otherwise the game is going to grind to a halt.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

KaptainKrunk posted:

what's this thread's opinion on the various boss battlers out there (KDM, Oathsworn, Aeon Trespass, etc)?

HidaO-Win has informative posts about a lot of them if you check their post history here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777631&pagenumber=560&perpage=40&userid=0#post531904219

Also please note that KDM discussion is a no go per the OP.

I've been playing through ATO.

Pros:
- The battle system is really good and only gets more intense as you and the monster take damage.
- The story is really good as far as board game stories go.
- The rulebook is very good.
- There is so, so, so much content. My friend and I are 30 hours in and we're not finished with the first of 3 campaigns.

Cons:
- It's $300.
- There is a ton of upkeep. So many things to track.
- You must always play 4 characters.
- If you have to set this up repeatedly you will hate this game.
- Huge table hog.

Depends:
- It is solidly 50% battle, 50% story. If you don't want 50% of the time to be reading then it might not be for you.

If you are looking for a "lifestyle" game that you are either willing to solo or have a gaming group where this is the only game they want to play for a very very long time, then it may be worth it. But honestly, do you have time for this game? If you played 3 hours a week of only ATO you *might* finish the currently delivered content in a year.

Luckily they have a TTS module you can try with the ongoing Kickstarter campaign so you can decide if the system clicks for you.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Aramoro posted:

Is dropping off merch a con crime now? Feels pretty standard for tech conventions, give out and gather as much merch as you can

I looked more into this and apparently he was trying to turn it into a scavenger hunt for his viewers for content and he did it without asking the vendors or GenCon. Even if it's not malicious it's clearly just stupid, not to mention how annoying it would be for an exhibitor who paid for their spot at the con to be used for promoting some YouTuber's channel for free.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
https://twitter.com/IsaacChildres/status/1660074532848402432

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Assuming the kindest interpretation of those emails, he's still clearly saying his opinion on board games can be bought, so his reviews are worthless.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Anyone have thoughts on Paladins of the West Kingdom? I'm missing a more complex worker placement game in my collection, and from the reviewsd it seems pretty solid.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

an actual dog posted:

Almost no player interaction, but the core puzzle is extremely satisfying. The paladins deck where you choose what you're good at for that turn is extremely slick and gives the game a good arc, and gives games variety. I haven't played it in a while because of the multiplayer-solitaireness but it's real good.

I like Hadrian's Wall better as a complex solo euro. Paladins has a lot of stuff that feels like it should be putting players into conflict but they really don't. Hadrian's doesn't even pretend, and with simultaneous turns and a quick setup it's easier to get to the table. And yeah it has a really simple solo mode that's very good.

I think which one you like more depends on what kind of puzzle you like. Paladins gives you a smaller number of things to manage and is less random, Hadrian's has a much larger amount of stuff to manage and some really fun gambles. Both are worth a look.

Bottom Liner posted:

I didn't find Hadrian's Wall to be much of a game. The puzzle of how to spend your resources to check the most boxes to combo into more box checks or extra resources didn't hold our attention through a full game. The randomized attacks that you had to prep for felt overly punishing for people that guessed wrong arbitrarily. The guy that taught us was at least halfway through his pad of sheets though, so clearly people like it.

Thanks! I think most of my play will be at 2P but I get some solo play. I'll try them out and see.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
What I really want is AfFO reprint but god knows how long that will be. Thanks for the remaining recs as well

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I think the Roxley Iron Clays might be what you're looking for, but those are pricy and out of stock.

E: I've also seen apache recommended: https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product/bank-18xx-board-games-poker-chips/

E2: Found the guide I was looking at previously: https://www.tckroleplaying.com/bg/18xx/chips

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 23, 2023

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

The Eyes Have It posted:

I had never heard of Guards of Atlantis II but now I'm pretty interested. Seems hard to find though, no results at my usual shop sources.

You can late pledge for it here or pay a lot aftermarket, your choice: https://gamefound.com/projects/wolffdesigna/guardsofatlantis2new

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
https://www.boardgameoracle.com/

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

The Wonder Weapon posted:

what does that mean

In less glib terms, Perry Mason Jar means they would choose Brass Birmingham.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Finally got to play some Dune Imperium.

Wow, what a game. Surprisingly thematic and a great little blend of worker placement and deck building. My partner started out with eyes glazed over during the rules explanation, but got super engaged quickly and we all spent half an hour after the game talking about what strategies we want to try next time, now that we understand the game flow better.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Infinitum posted:

It's not that you can't discuss it, the threads done it plenty of times in the past, they were just discussing it like idiots.

Just report the post and move on. The thread has asked the mods to probe more proactively for stupid poo poo and they've been doing so.

e: To be clear, the bad posts are the ones defending bigoted poo poo and downplaying it

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 23, 2023

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
The hobby leans very consumerist, so I don't mind a video suggesting moderation.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Just use the skull tokens until they wear out, and then replace them with new proxies. Problem solved.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
mid
weight
euro

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Did Vlaada take his Codenames money and gently caress off into the woods or something

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

DropTheAnvil posted:

Twilight Imperium 4th edition? There is a roll and write called Twilight Inscryption

Twilight Inscription unfortunately gives barely any feeling of being like TI.

Elysium posted:

What are the chances Spirit Island goes on sale for black friday, or any other near future sale/price drop/coupon?

If you don't find a good deal on it, I'd be happy to sell you my copy since nearly all my plays are TTS now. My main SI buddy moved away.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Unfathomable sometimes has that issue. There's also times where the randomness favors the humans too and the traitor can't really do much about it. BSG fixed a lot of that with expansions.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
If dinosaurs can become chickens then what's to stop dragons from doing it too?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

HampHamp posted:

The scenario was 'trouble brewing' and he was the butler role. He said he was killed at night, so maybe it wasn't actually a vote after all?

The good news about dying early in most BOTC scripts is that you are almost certainly not the demon, and also not evil. Since you can talk to anyone and still influence things, you can become a trusted source of information and help coordinate the game. Even better if you were killed at night because there's even less reason to distrust you.

The Butler's ability is also usually a hindrance to town rather than a help, so he tanked a death for a good Townsfolk player. That increases the good team's chance of winning because it's one more day / night for an Empath, Slayer, Undertaker, etc.

If I'm an outsider and I can bait the demon into killing me in Trouble Brewing, that's one of the best outcomes for winning the game.

Bottom Liner posted:

The storyteller messing with the logic and deduction process makes it less about deduction and more social though. In your example above, you suggested the storyteller should have prevented a player from using their ability. I just can't see how or why that makes the game better and less arbitrary. Big group social deduction games already have plenty of social engineering baked in with the negotiation and voting processes, I can't accept another layer added on top of that by a neutral player that is there to facilitate the game superseding the players choices.

edit: To be clear, I don't think Clocktower is a game for everyone and I'm not trying to convince you that it is the best game ever, just wanted to give some perspective for people who may be interested.

For this specific scenario: in Trouble Brewing, there is no way for the Storyteller to stop the demon from killing someone at night.* Certain player roles can prevent this (Monk, Soldier, Poisoner poisons their demon for some reason), but there is no way for the Storyteller to arbitrarily stop player abilities from functioning.

More broadly: There's only so many possible worlds that can be true based on what happened during the day / night and what info each player got, even in the cases where the storyteller can make decisions (e.g. someone is poisoned and gets bad info).

You can be a very deduction-focused player and work mechanically through the possible scenarios on many scripts, and you're rarely left with more than a few viable worlds by the endgame - and oftentimes as the evil team, you still need to figure out what those possible worlds are to not accidentally out yourself to people who can do that deduction.

I've played and storytold scripts that lean heavily into deduction, and other scripts that lean heavily into being social focused. In either case, I've found that skilled play (social or mechanical) is rewarded consistently and repeatedly.

For me, the cool parts of having a storyteller are three-fold:
1. There is a way bigger possibility space for the abilities and powers that can be balanced by having the right script and provide hugely different experiences.
2. You have way fewer games that are duds because the evil team gets outed immediately.
3. The storyteller can curb any bullying or other social behavior that often makes other social deduction games unpleasant to play.

*There is an optional game mod called The Angel that you can announce to ALL players ahead of time that reads "Something bad might happen to whoever is most responsible for the death of a new player", but the Storyteller should only do this with the new player's consent. This is actually a good way to help balance out experienced groups who are playing with new players. I assume this is what an actual dog is referring to.

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Bottom Liner posted:

I haven't played it, but I've read the roles and scenarios and seen it played enough to measure the impact the story teller has. I don't think the storyteller influencing the game removes skill and choice, but it does reduce it. The previous poster even said they make choices as the storyteller randomly to shake thing up. It's still Werewolf at heart and requires social problem solving and probability management, but that extra layer of haze and second guessing is unappealing at every level to me.

From everything you've posted, I don't think you would enjoy BotC, but probably not for the reasons you think. BotC is bar none the most skill-intensive social deduction game I've played, and I've tried a whole lot of them.