Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Radioactive Toy posted:

Great OP.

Is there a recommendation between Concordia and Concordia Venus? How do they play at 2?

Even if you don't care about teamplay, if 3-5p in your future, Concordia Venus (the standalone) version is the better deal. Comes with 4 maps (and one of them also as a smaller version for lower player count) instead of the base game's 2 (well, 1 of the maps overlaps).

If you ONLY play 2p, I'd recommend getting whichever is cheapest (probably base game) + either Corsica or Creta (or both) which are better for 2p (the bigger maps are too loose, but that depends on personal taste too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
It's true that succinct descriptions can be useful information.

For example, "PRADA SLUT - There already is representation of women in board games. Just look at all my titty minis. What more representation do they need?"

-----

For boardgame price comparisons, I suggest Boardgameoracle instead of Boardgameatlas. More useful for Canadians, too.

Boardgameprices.co.uk for Europeans.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Here's my pitch:

Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant :
Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadran

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
BGG has been way better lately.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I've had players so overwhelmed by Spirit Island that I've had to do their turn for them (on top of doing my own....). Then I had a player who was like 'oh, I don't take any actions this turn'. And then we lost.

So yeah, for the foreseeable future, Spirit Island is an exclusively 2p game for us.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
El Grande is amazing 5p and plays well on yucata.de

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I have an idea for a deck-builder. Instead of cards or chips, your deck consists of cardboard pieces shaped like David Sirlin's head, which you shuffle in your bag. Other players can attack you and make you gain negative turd-shaped pieces as well.

But Llyranor, you ask, wouldn't players be able to feel the difference between turds and David Sirlin's head? No, no they wouldn't.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

!Klams posted:

I just finished the Sleeping Gods campaign. That game is great! Really compelling, really fun, just a beautiful experience. I wanna play it again and go see stuff I missed, but I feel like my wife will probably need a bit longer before she's keen to jump back in the boat. Anyone have any input about the expansion? It feels like it might be a great way to make playing it though again more palatable?
1) Tides of Ruin adds a few extra map pages, so it's "more of the same". But since the base game is big enough for at least a couple playthroughs without overlap, you don't need it right away (in fact, you might never need it, depending on how much of this game you will ultimately end up playing). It does, however, add extra event cards and items, which are nice for variety.

2) Dungeons seems pretty skippable, imo. I asked in a bgg thread, and it doesn't seem to add much narrative, either.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Admiralty Flag posted:

I played Castles of Burgundy for the first time last night. I liked it a lot, noted the recommendation on BGG that it's best at 2, and so am thinking about getting a copy to play with my wife.

Any recommendations on must-have expansions?

Base game only is my recommendation.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Fields of Arle is the best

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

Please sell me on/off Rococo, specifically Deluxe Edition. I want goon opinions.

How badly do you want to spend >100$ for a run-of-the-mill euro?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Bus can be taught in 10 min or less.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Fields of Arle is the best 2p WP. It helps that it was designed specifically for that player count. More medium-heavy than medium, though.

Concordia is not WP, but it's better at 2p IF you get the Corsica and/or Creta map expansion(s). The base game or Venus standalone's smaller map is too loose for 2p imo (better suited for 3p).

Llyranor fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 23, 2022

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Thread-ban Prada

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
It doesn't have to be one or the other.

1) Feck blockchains
2) Feck minis
3) Threadban Prada

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Bootleg Root is great

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I found a video of Prada and leperflesh

https://twitter.com/iNabber69/status/1485995146369978379

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Final Girl Season 2 looks terrible. I guess Van Ryder used all their creativity on that dumb popcorn NFT game of theirs.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Sell Gloomhaven still shrink-wrapped, then play digital or get Jaws of the Lion.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

potatocubed posted:

I feel that going from 'enjoys KDM' to 'is a rape apologist' is a jump too far.

It's not just the KDM enjoyment, it's saying that a drawing of an almost naked woman being pinned down and tied up by a group is just a regular old magic ritual, downplaying the sexual violence implied. This has happened in the old thread.

FulsomFrank posted:

The sales up here have been pretty lame lately. I always get a chuckle when one of the big dogs in the GTA area, 401 Games, does a sale on like Canada Day or Labour Day and WHOA 6% OFF GAMES, INCREDIBLE. Better than a kick in the pants sure, but just barrel scraping.

BGB has been weak lately too, I stayed up until midnight to get first crack at their boxing day sale and it was... not good.

I did get my copy of 1848 though and is it me or are the tiles in it extra large? Looking forward to laying track through the outback and avoiding kangaroos, cheers mate.
Hey, sometimes us Canadians get 12-15% off!

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
For Gloomhaven, I just put spindown dice directly next to the corresponding monsters

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
If you're cheap, go for Folded Space.

Otherwise I can't help you.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

mellifluous posted:

I try to play board games weekly with my family, but it's tough to find a game that everyone likes. My brother has incorrigible AP, so I don't want to bring anything that runs long even with non-AP players, and my mum doesn't like complex rules or turn structures. I prefer low-luck, high-interaction games with straightforward rules (which I get to play with my regular gaming group), but I'm realizing that my AP-prone brother doesn't really share my taste - I think he prefers games that lean a little more multiplayer solitaire so that he can devise and execute some kind of grand strategy with minimal interference. For instance, he looked up Terraforming Mars and thinks it would be fun (I think he likes engine building and finding satisfying combos), but I think his AP would drag it out into a frustratingly long experience. I haven't actually played TfM, so this is just based on what I've read in this thread and seen in videos on BGG.

So, any recommendations for a moderately complex low-interaction game that can be played in about 2 hours or less (including the teach) with 4 players, one of whom has pretty bad AP?
I'll just leave this here

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Arzaac posted:

I'm sure this game is good but the art is extremely uncanny valley to me

What do you mean? I've never seen a more accurate depiction of mer-cats.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
A meta can develop when certain players become predictable in their style of play, so you should definitely take that into consideration (and maybe even exploit that).

In general, I do think tabula rasa is important. When we were playing Games of Thrones the board game (lol), it was with the social contract that, yes we would betray each other, and yes that's part of the game and won't affect the next game. Shifting alliances and keeping an eye behind your back was part of the game, and if you got rid of that the game would be diminished. Permanent alliances or being afraid of hurting other players' feelings made for a worse game.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I will have no hesitation to kingmake the player who screwed me over less during the game

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Are there any boardgames out there that handle having a big event happen mid-game that is designed to slow all of the players down/throw a wrench in their plans/cause some damage without being overbearing and lovely?

I ask because I'm working on making some boardgames as a hobby / creative outlet. I'd like to find a way to try to somewhat model the Bronze Age Collapse in a Tresham Civ-like game. Its game that will already have calamities as little one-off negative events, though I am going to be trying to bake in positives the players get for getting hit with calamities (e.g. if you get hit by a flood you'll suffer the immediate hit to cities and/or pops but you'll get a discount on flood mitigation techs). Its a goal of mine, that if it doesnt work I'll just ditch the idea, to try to model the Bronze Age Collapse in an interesting way to temporarily influence the game's basic gameplay loop without just giving the players a gently caress you event. This would probably mean that they endure some negatives/penalties for a few turns but afterwards get bonuses to certain things (tech cost, building new cities, warfare, I'm not sure yet). In any case, I figure it would be smart to spend some time researching games that already do something similar with the gameplay (even if its a different genre).
I like extinction events in Evolution: Climate. The players can nudge the climate into too hot (hurts bigger species more, food abundance) or more cold (hurts smaller species more) until you hit the extremes which leads to mass starvation and extinction, and only species with specific traits will survive both the climate (fur, or living underground, etc) and the lack of food sources (carnivore, scavenger, fat reserves, etc). The majority of species get basically wiped out from the board. But because it's an extreme that the majority of players will have to want to nudge towards, it also gives you time to prepare and mitigate.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
40$ is pretty cheap if you learned your lesson to never buy games again.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
The "don't look at the deck" RAW for Aeon's End were meant to reduce AP, not to make it a memory game.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Jedit posted:

I'm not a Kickstarter hater who lost $90, I'm a Foohaven hater who saved $250.
The biggest argument against Frosthaven for me is having played Gloomhaven.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

armorer posted:

I'm not really sure why people are hating on frosthaven, did I miss the memo or something? I played and enjoyed gloomhaven, and JotL has been heavily recommended in this thread in the past.
I'll still recommend JotL for anyone curious about the Gloomhaven experience

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I appreciate the sentiment of gathering receipts to permanently ban (or maybe give a 12-hour time-out, the 2nd harshest punishment) Rutibex for transphobia (and racism and islamophobia and classism, it seems?), but that seems like a mod's job to dig those up.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Thanks for the information, it's good to know Rutibex kept his transphobia in other threads only, thank goodness.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Thanks, Neville.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
"some Natives", huh?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
That 6h probe is going to make Prada think twice before making GBS threads up this thread again.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Elman posted:

What's a good 4-6 player game? I was thinking of picking up Mysterium or Funemployed but I'm open to suggestions. While I'd prefer something relatively light, a heavier game might be fine if it's not too time consuming.
Medici (fairly light)
Evolution: Climate (medium-light)

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Slyphic posted:

Mysterium has gotten a LOT of table time. How long the game takes is hugely dependent on the player running the ghost. The most down time in the game is waiting for the ghost to assign visions, and a player that is indecisive or uncreative will choke hard doing this and bog the game down.
I wonder if playing with 2 ghosts would help speed things up (or make things even longer as they wouldn't reach a consensus quickly without talking). Or even have each ghost have their own set of cards if need be.

Next time I play Mysterium, I intend to use some of the original Ukrainian rules and just ignore the fiddly guessing minigame, plus everyone will be able to see the 3 cards during the finale.

Llyranor fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 31, 2022

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Slyphic posted:

We tried Ghost Team once. They have to whisper to each other and can't pay as much attention to the table and neither helps in any way. Two ghosts with two decks might work, never tried that.

MockingQuantum posted:

2 ghosts is a total toss-up, it heavily depends on the ghosts and their familiarity with the game, and if you have two indecisive ghosts it multiplies the time suck. That said we frequently do two ghosts when playing with six mediums, and the ghosts just split the table down the middle and each get three mediums they give visions to, and that actually works alright. It does add to the confusion in the guessing phase but at least with the people I play with that tends to be more fun overall. 2 ghosts for the whole table is tough unless the ghosts are okay with pointing and gesturing and probably misunderstanding each other more often than not, which once again can be its own sort of fun.
Definitely sounds like we should divide the players up between the 2 ghosts if we ever do that, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Admiralty Flag posted:

I recently played Concordia at a Meetup and enjoyed it. Amazon is running a promo where if you buy something that is listed as "sold by Amazon" and you have it delivered to a locker/hub, you can use the code 10OFFPICKUP to get $10 off a purchase of $20+. So I decided to order Concordia (already $20 off MSRP + $10 more). I'll get xpacs through my FLGS to make up for my sin of feeding the Amazon beast. Speaking of which:

The catch is I'm in a 2 player household until mid-May. Any suggestions on which board/map set to get for 2P?

Also, BGG seems to concur that Salsa is the best xpac for Concordia. Anyone confirm/deny?
Corsica/Gallia or Creta/Egypta, either one is fine